Families scramble for new schools

Families scramble for new schools

There are 13 comments on the The Morning Call story from Apr 4, 2007, titled Families scramble for new schools. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Jessica Smolock's parents, John and Joan, want to continue the Catholic education that has spiritually nurtured their daughter since she started kindergarten at Immaculate Heart school in Girardville.

The family was disheartened when the Allentown Diocese closed Immaculate Heart last year. But they were proud that Jessica, now a 10th-grade student at Cardinal Brennan Junior/Senior High School, would graduate from the Ashland area school, where John Smolock graduated in 1976.

On Tuesday, Jessica and her father attended an open house at Marian High School in Barnesville. They spoke with teachers and administrators, reviewed the curriculum and activities, and got acquainted with other Marian students. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

Nicolle Hutchinson

Luzerne, PA

#1 Apr 5, 2007
The foreclosure of any school is sad. When a community of learners must be separated, a loss is deeply felt. What is also disheartening is the lack and shrinking of educational choices available to the parents and students of Schuylkill County. There are basically two choices if a parent wants a child in a school-either public schools or Catholic schools, and the latter seem to be dwindling. Also, very few homeschoolers are connected and in community; there is not one charter school in the county; there are maybe one or two private schools that are not Catholic. Parents' choices are too restricted. If we as a county want to grow or even keep our children in our various communities after they graduate, we must offer families more choices when it comes to educating their children. This is not a difficult problem to solve when the parents and leaders of the county communicate and work together. I say we at least try for the children's sake.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#2 Dec 25, 2008
This is a shame to see every time I pass by the old school building next to St. Joseph's parish in Girardville. Frankly, homeschooling is the best option for families wanting an alternative to public schooling. Even if you only have one other family to home school with, that's a start if you don't feel up to doing it on your own. There will be many more families in Schuylkill County that will be home schooling in the not too distant future God willing.
57 states

Hellertown, PA

#3 Dec 25, 2008
5 home schooled children among the 12 finalists in the state spelling championship. The odds of that happening are amazing.

Location hidden

#4 Dec 25, 2008
It's amazing, but I can't say I'm very surprised. Homeschooled children routinely display a much higher level of knowledge and understanding across a variety of subjects than their counterparts in the regular school system.
ssatrams

Riverside, PA

#5 Dec 26, 2008
I dare say thats because the kids are being taught at home and not goofing off;
because in the public schools the teachers are not concerned with the students abilities or want or need to learn but rather with how much they get in their paychecks and what benefits they can haggle;
its not like catholic school where you had nuns who always put the kids first and made sure they learned;
I think they should start closing down the public schools and open the catholic ones back up.

Location hidden

#6 Dec 26, 2008
I like that idea. That would help to reduce the rediculous school tax on property. :) For what they tax for schools on the average home, I could buy at least one (maybe two) brand new laptops, school supplies for a year (stationary, pencils, pens, art supplies, books, etc.), field trip money, and a few other things. My children would receive a complete education.
ssatrams

Nuremberg, PA

#7 Dec 26, 2008
thats what its supposed to be; right?
instead look at what it became;
a union of greedy selfish individuals who want more.
in pottsvile area school district there were kids taking videos of the teachers;
hitting kids; shoving them, clothes lining them, cursing at them, playing poker in class instead of teaching, taking girls lunch money and putting it in their pocket and then telling the girls to get it; tell the girls to sit on their lap,
picking on certain students because of what they dress in, or who they associate with, and the kicker is; telling the police to arrest students for smoking outside even in their own cars; thats not what a teachers job is, thats not even a city cops job; finding out where they got the smokes and fining the store- yes not invasion of their privacy in their own cars.
the pd should go out back and arrest all the teachers and staff for smoking on school grounds!

waste of tax dollars for "teachers"
waste of tax dollars for "cops"

nuns dont have those problems!

Location hidden

#9 Dec 27, 2008
It would be great if Pennsylvania's constitution didn't specifically provide for a public school system. It would make it a lot easier to get rid of such a parasitic system of abuse, corruption, and indoctrination.
ssatrams

United States

#10 Dec 27, 2008
yes right! but get the greedy politicians to rewrite it? or get the enforcing agencies to enforce it?
that would be nice, but until they get rid of all the greedy people, and the unions it wont be.

Location hidden

#11 Dec 31, 2008
That's why homeschooling (and private schooling)is so important. The more people in an area who are not using the tax-funded schooling and are being forced (under threat of losing their homes) to pay for it, the more pressure there will be to reduce the size of the public school system to the point where it could be eliminated in an area.
Ice-9

Allentown, PA

#12 Dec 31, 2008
mattchant wrote:
It's amazing, but I can't say I'm very surprised. Homeschooled children routinely display a much higher level of knowledge and understanding across a variety of subjects than their counterparts in the regular school system.
True, but their social skills are years behind their peers. Even students that attend smaller private schools are sheilded from the real world.

Location hidden

#13 Dec 31, 2008
Real world?

Location hidden

#14 Dec 31, 2008
Sorry, that last post went out too soon.

In what way are their social skills behind? Also, what do you mean by the 'real world'?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coal Township Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Selinsgrove man pleads guilty to sexual assault... (Mar '15) Mar 18 Natasha 3
News Want to own a prison? For sale: jail built in 1... Feb 21 james dunn 2
Donations Feb '17 cheaters never pr... 2
News Coroner: Woman dies after getting stuck in clot... Feb '17 cheaters never pr... 1
News Arrest warrant issued for Scott Binsack (Nov '12) Jan '17 Dfalls 14
News Northwestern Academy: boy escapes from Northwes... (May '09) Nov '16 Shane clendenin 51
News Northwestern Academy marks 10th anniversary (Jan '09) Oct '16 Momof3 230

Coal Township Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Coal Township Mortgages