First Prev
of 3
Next Last
CG Football Fan

Fremont, OH

#4 Mar 5, 2012
This type of problem has been going on for years and will always be there no matter who the coach is. If a boy thinks he is being done wrong then the parents will take it to the school board because they feel their child has been done wrong. Back in the day if a boy wasn't getting the playing time he thought he should have been getting the parents yelled at the coaching staff and then took their child to another school, now they go to the school board and try to get the coaching staff fired, my how things have changed.
Dad who knows

Reston, VA

#6 Mar 5, 2012
I disagree with you Obvious. In most situations at Coal grove, and you can verify me if you want. The proof is in the pudding. The kids who play....boys and girls, most are kids of coaches or teachers. Check it out, has nothing to do with skill. I have watched numerous games of all kinds and watched the coaches or teachers kids mess up time after time, they arent taken out. Then you see another kid make one mistake, immediately they are taken out. Im not speaking of Coach Lucas either, im speaking in general.
Obvious

Columbus, OH

#7 Mar 5, 2012
I'm sure there are some situations where this is true, but a few parents complaining shouldn't determine a coaches future. Dave Lucas has put more time into Coal Grove Football than any coach EVER. Plus, Jay changed the Track & Field team. Not to mention the weightlifting team has won the State Title EVERY YEAR since 2005.
Dad who knows

Reston, VA

#8 Mar 5, 2012
I agree with you on your last post. I have no complaint about Coach Lucas. I know he has worked hard and helped with so many different sports. I am speaking in general.
Never Happy

Ashland, KY

#9 Mar 6, 2012
Several years ago you ran Lucas off and the FB program crashed. The track teamed crashed. The weight lifting crashed. Since he has returned all the programs have improved, including BB which has not won a handfull of games in several years. We all at Coal Grove know what this is about, less talented kids not getting to play & parents crying about it. The incident does not even concern the parents doing the crying. It is simple, if your not happy with your childs playing time, send them to a less talented district. Accept the fact that little Johnny is just not as good as Mommy & Daddy thinks he is or wants him to be. I played for Dave Lucas and he was a fair man & good coach.
Obvious

Columbus, OH

#10 Mar 6, 2012
AMEN
Mister Blutarski

United States

#11 Mar 6, 2012
Parents complaining about a 12-9 record?!?!?!?!? Kind of says it all, doesn't it? This society has gotten to the point that everyone blows smoke and sunshine up little Johnny's a$$ and tells him how wonderful he is and expects everything to be given to their child, including playing time just because he is a senior. Playing time is earned and determined by the coach. Not the parents or the player's status as an upperclassman.
Sure, some of the good-old boy system still exists where teacher and coaches kids get P.T over other kids but, it isn't just Coal Grove. Look around, nepotism is alive and well throughout our county, state and country. On the other hand, you don't win league titles in football or go 12-9 in basketball with a starting line-up full of kids that don't deserve to play. The winning in football and basketball have something to do with the players that did see the field/floor and there must have been some talent somewhere. Lots of factors go into decisions on playing. Sure, Johnny may be more talented at this or that, but other factors outside of talent go into playing time which the average fan or parent doesn't see or understand. There's where the "favoritism" labels come and many times just isn't true.
I read a nice article saying how horrible parents are doing as a whole by raising a bunch of zombie kids that walk around with their hands out waiting for an award or reward for just being there. Trophy kids as I like to call them. It is a society that I don't look forward to taking care of me in my old age, but what choice will I have? None.
Face it, coaches make tough decisions on a daily basis. Practice to practice and game to game. Jay Lucas is doing his best to put a product on the floor that people want to see as well as put a team out there to win. 12-9 is proof of that. It must have been ok because from what I've heard, the attendance was up. People like and will watch a winning product. If your kid isn't getting the P.T. he wants, sounds like he needs to get in the gym and make a better impression on the coach. Coaches play who they feel will give them the best chance to win. If it is a coach or teacher's son, so be it.
DFx

Ironton, OH

#12 Mar 6, 2012
Didn't CG just win the OVC and send a senior off to play football at an NCAA division 1 college this coming fall?
There is NO reason to worry about CG football. I don't have any children in school I don't have a vested interest in who the coach is next year. Besides, if it's not Dave Lucas, the Hornets' coach will be someone from the Grove who has been around since the beginning of the Lucas era...and who has a resume that includes a significant run coaching football with an outstanding record.
So, Hornet fans, let's all just chill and ride this thing out. The only thing some of this talk does is just stir up friction.
The bottom line is that the Hornets are gonna put a dynamite product on the field either way. Trust me.
hornets

Ashland, KY

#13 Mar 6, 2012
no matter who coaches someone will have a problem. what i hate about it all is seeing all the athletes in trouble and then doing stupid stuff in games and getting away with it put it back to the way it used to be . parents should also get on their kids for doing some of this stupid stuff personal fouls and more. smoking on the school parking lot befor and after games getting dumb fouls on them hell take them out . teach them som selfrespect and big dad put the kids in place the way it use to be. make them run dont give in
go lucas

United States

#14 Mar 6, 2012
Say what u want, but jay lucas is a great coach who works hard at what he does. That man is CG athletics. Yeah, he may come across as a little bit arrogant, but he's a heck of a coach who puts winning, well disclipined teams together. I applaud jay for whaf he does.

Which parent is starting this crap? They should be ashamed! They r trying to bring down a great coach because their kid sucks and its a shame! Hopefully the board does the right thing and stands behind Lucas!
DFx

Ironton, OH

#15 Mar 7, 2012
NO ONE MAN IS CG athletics, or Coal Grove football. Anyone who ever played for the Hornets knows that. Jay knew that back when he wore number 1/2. Dave Lucas would tell you that too unless he's changed a lot, which I doubt.

Diving into questions like "Who is starting this?" and "What are they charging?" only serve to make an awkward situation downright bad for the team and the community.

True Hornet fans are fans of the TEAM, regardless of who the coach is. Those who would derail the black and white just because it's not "their guy", well, they simply don't belong here. They are not true Hornets.

What's lost in all this is the fact that the Grove has a lot of great young athletes out there training and working their guts out every single day to be winners. Don't you "adults" ruin it for them by acting like children. Thanks.
coal grove fan

United States

#16 Mar 7, 2012
go lucas wrote:
Say what u want, but jay lucas is a great coach who works hard at what he does. That man is CG athletics. Yeah, he may come across as a little bit arrogant, but he's a heck of a coach who puts winning, well disclipined teams together. I applaud jay for whaf he does.
Which parent is starting this crap? They should be ashamed! They r trying to bring down a great coach because their kid sucks and its a shame! Hopefully the board does the right thing and stands behind Lucas!
Rick Barrett, Kyle McKnight started everything
a fan

United States

#18 Mar 8, 2012
Yes, a coach can play (or not play) whomever he wants. However, the bigger question is why would a coach not start his 2 seniors on Senior Night? They would only have to play a couple of minutes. It was a power play on Coach Lucas' part. "HE IS THE COACH AND WHAT HE SAYS GOES". Would playing the seniors hurt anything? No, but it would have went a long way to mend fences. It would have helped a lot of hurt feelings.
Should the school board tell him who to play? NO! But a decent, caring coach would have done the RIGHT thing. P.S. as far as their record goes, well look who they played. Rose Hill, Deeming, I could have coached wins over most of the teams they beat.
4real

Elizabeth, NJ

#19 Mar 8, 2012
When Rick Barrett coached Jr. High did he play kids fair and to smooth over hurt feelings?? NO
He played to win like all other coaches do.
hmmm

Columbus, OH

#20 Mar 8, 2012
a fan wrote:
Yes, a coach can play (or not play) whomever he wants. However, the bigger question is why would a coach not start his 2 seniors on Senior Night? They would only have to play a couple of minutes. It was a power play on Coach Lucas' part. "HE IS THE COACH AND WHAT HE SAYS GOES". Would playing the seniors hurt anything? No, but it would have went a long way to mend fences. It would have helped a lot of hurt feelings.
Should the school board tell him who to play? NO! But a decent, caring coach would have done the RIGHT thing. P.S. as far as their record goes, well look who they played. Rose Hill, Deeming, I could have coached wins over most of the teams they beat.
if you gonna run your mouth then u try to coach !!!
Mister Blutarski

United States

#21 Mar 8, 2012
a fan wrote:
However, the bigger question is why would a coach not start his 2 seniors on Senior Night? They would only have to play a couple of minutes. It was a power play on Coach Lucas' part. "HE IS THE COACH AND WHAT HE SAYS GOES". Would playing the seniors hurt anything? No, but it would have went a long way to mend fences. It would have helped a lot of hurt feelings.
Would anyone tell Big Dad who to start on Friday in football? Should he have started all the Seniors? Come on, man. I think not.

This is just another whiney example of a parent not being able to face the facts that little Johnnie isn't as good as they believe and thinks little Johnnie deserves something to be given to them.
Obvious

Columbus, OH

#22 Mar 8, 2012
Just because you are a senior, doesn't mean you have the right to start on senior night. there are other boys on the team who might be better & have worked harder on the field to earn that starting spot. Would it be fair to a starting freshman that has been so dedicated in the off-season to sit the bench behind a senior because he is graduating? no. the best players should start and get more playing time.. simple facts of sports!
a fan

Fremont, OH

#25 Mar 8, 2012
Coach Cal of UK had 2 seniors on his squad this year. One had started earlier in his career and now comes off the bench. The other has never been a starter. Guess who started Senior Night? That's right, the two non-starters. Why? Because Coach Cal is a great coach who knows how to get the most out of his players... with respect.
Now if he can start to non starters out of respect for the seniors, then why couldn't Coach Lucas?
BiG nUt

United States

#26 Mar 8, 2012
a fan wrote:
There were 4 Seniors! We can tell you don't know what your talking about!!!
Please

Ashland, KY

#28 Mar 8, 2012
For Onething we did not have school the day we played Wheelersburg! So lie! Next he practiced one day during PE class which was approved and not illegal because he had a meeting in Columbus! In your richer districts they gave basketball and football classes! Number three no teacher can change scheduled do not have the capability! So you need to go speak with your guidance counselor! Get facts straight before you post!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coal Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Has world thrift closed down 36 min Who 130
Anyone Know Sandy Compston?? (Dec '09) 51 min Knows 88
God is punishing queers 1 hr frigginhell 25
can u buy someone's property if they havent pai... (Jun '10) 2 hr my best advice 48
Knights of Columbus Bartender 3 hr southside 11
What do you think of Sara Tackett that went to ... (Jun '10) 4 hr who 6
lost friend 6 hr Mark Klein 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Coal Grove Mortgages