Mall Death IDed as Coal City Man

Sep 14, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WJOL-AM Joliet

The 20 year old man found dead in his car outside the Louis Joliet Mall late Wednesday night has been identified as 20 year old Owen Elberts of Coal City.

Comments
1 - 20 of 48 Comments Last updated Apr 17, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
SmashingPumpkins fan

Wheaton, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Sep 14, 2012
 

Judged:

2

As a recovering heroin addict (2 yrs 6months) I really feel for this kid and his family....This story made me cringle...Im one of the lucky ones!!!!
SmashingPumpkins fan

Wheaton, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Sep 14, 2012
 
not cringle *cringe*
stop the madness

Coal City, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Sep 15, 2012
 
Stay focused and good job -
Jerry Sandusky

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Sep 18, 2012
 

Judged:

2

That's why they call it dope
RIP

Ottawa, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Sep 21, 2012
 

Judged:

3

2

people need to be nice that was someones son, friend, brother ect..... i feel so bad for this family he didnt seem like ur average junkie like he just got into this horrible drug i hope his fam and freinds use his tragic death to help others get the word out drugs are soo bad in these small towns ... H is just taking over and these teens dont have a chance if noone speaks up Rip Owen i didnt know you im much older than u but i have children and i know you parents are suffering and i feel horrible :(
RIP

Ottawa, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Sep 21, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

p.s keep up the good work Smashing Pumpkin fan i think i know who you are and thats GREAT news you are clean and plan to stay that way :)
Budda Man

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Sep 21, 2012
 
Jerry Sandusky wrote:
That's why they call it dope
ASSHLOE

“The blessings of liberty”

Since: Oct 09

Braidwood

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Sep 22, 2012
 

Judged:

4

3

1

Death is so final. We all make mistakes but all of us don't pay this high of a price. People smoke, and some die of cancer, but we don't come on Topix and disparage their memory. I just don't get it. Yes drugs are bad and I've never been involved with them. However I've helped many users get over addictions. If you're going to hate, hate the dealers. They give it away if necessary to get a kid addicted so that way they get a new customer. We all take risks and make mistakes, let's just pray for the family of this young man and be thankful that the thread isn't about us.
who cares

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Sep 24, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Nobody held the kid down and forced him to do heroin. It was his choice and he paid the price end of story!
stop the madness

Coal City, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Sep 24, 2012
 

Judged:

2

I agree to a small degree no one was held down but somewhere there was a dealer ,"friend" , or acquaintance that got these kids started in the first place -so there is someone else at fault in the BIG picture //// lets face it no one wakes up in the morning and says ya know i think i'll become addicted to drugs today ! Those people know damn well that 27% of the people who try these harder drugs want to do them a second time , and of that percent who try them again 82% say they they WILL CONTINUE to do those drugs - H & Meth

who cares wrote:
Nobody held the kid down and forced him to do heroin. It was his choice and he paid the price end of story!
stop the madness

Coal City, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Sep 24, 2012
 
None , wasnt as popular as other drugs were when i was growing up .
me wrote:
<quoted text>
How many time have you done heroin? Serious question
stop the madness

Coal City, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Sep 24, 2012
 

Judged:

1

And this has what to do with this topic ???
me wrote:
<quoted text>
How many drugs did you overdose on?

“The blessings of liberty”

Since: Oct 09

Braidwood

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Sep 24, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

who cares wrote:
Nobody held the kid down and forced him to do heroin. It was his choice and he paid the price end of story!
Who cares? His family cares, and his friends care. People who have a heart and compassion care. You apparently don't care, but that don't mean nobody else does. It doesn't matter how he died. He's dead and nobody can bring him back. Go ahead and pass judgemt on him, but you're wrong. It isn't the end of the story. Someday it may be your kid, or brother, or sister or friend. And even though you don't deserve it, we will still care, because that's the right thing to do.
me

Wessington Springs, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Sep 24, 2012
 

Judged:

3

1

1

Happy Dad wrote:
<quoted text>Who cares? His family cares, and his friends care. People who have a heart and compassion care. You apparently don't care, but that don't mean nobody else does. It doesn't matter how he died. He's dead and nobody can bring him back. Go ahead and pass judgemt on him, but you're wrong. It isn't the end of the story. Someday it may be your kid, or brother, or sister or friend. And even though you don't deserve it, we will still care, because that's the right thing to do.
If he did not do heroin, he would be alive. Yes that's passing judgement and rightfully so.
who cares

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Sep 24, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Happy Dad wrote:
<quoted text>Who cares? His family cares, and his friends care. People who have a heart and compassion care. You apparently don't care, but that don't mean nobody else does. It doesn't matter how he died. He's dead and nobody can bring him back. Go ahead and pass judgemt on him, but you're wrong. It isn't the end of the story. Someday it may be your kid, or brother, or sister or friend. And even though you don't deserve it, we will still care, because that's the right thing to do.
hopefully I will never be in that situation. All I can hope for is that everything I taught my children stick with them, and if they are ever put in that situation they are strong enough to make the right choice. You still can't blame anyone but the person who made their choices in life. Nobody held a gun to this persons head. I'm not passing judgment on this person didnt know him or his family, but as I said nobody is to blame but himself!

“The blessings of liberty”

Since: Oct 09

Braidwood

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Sep 24, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

me wrote:
<quoted text>
If he did not do heroin, he would be alive. Yes that's passing judgement and rightfully so.
No that's just your philosophy. If he had not taken heroin he may have been in the Military and died in another country. It's just one scenario, people die everyday from many different causes. Pointing fingers and putting blame, "passing judgment", doesn't bring them back. The issue of today isn't this young man's bad choices. They can't be fixed now. The issue is your lack of compassion. The drug problems of our society are not as cut and dried as you make it sound. Who's fault is it? You have blamed the user, some may blame the dealers. It doesn't matter anymore when someone dies. There's no way to bring them back but pointing fingers and loudly declaring them to fools and therefore deserving of their fate, only hurts their family.
who cares

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Sep 24, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

stop the madness wrote:
<quoted text>I agree to a small degree no one was held down but somewhere there was a dealer ,"friend" , or acquaintance that got these kids started in the first place -so there is someone else at fault in the BIG picture //// lets face it no one wakes up in the morning and says ya know i think i'll become addicted to drugs today ! Those people know damn well that 27% of the people who try these harder drugs want to do them a second time , and of that percent who try them again 82% say they they WILL CONTINUE to do those drugs - H & Meth
all he had to do was say no! Everyone growing up is faced with a situation where u have to be strong enough to say no. Friends or drug dealers did not force him first time or tenth time or the last time he made the choice!
Random

Le Claire, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Sep 26, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

me wrote:
<quoted text>
No, he's right. I'm pretty sure these kids are taught that drugs are bad. If they decide to do them anyway, they are dopes. If they die they die. Not using heroin is a sure fire cure for heroin overdose resulting in death. It's common sense. Sure this was a person who died, but lets not beat around the bush. The kid killed himself. This wasn't an accident. He didn't fall on a needle. So all you people, stop making excuses. Heroin isn't taking over, stupid decision making is.
. Your ignorance on this situation is unfortunately common, addiction is a disease it is not a moral dillema! People at this stage in addiction no longer have a choice, it is very sad but a fact! My thoughts and prayers to all the family and friends, and also to any one suffering from this horrifying disease!
me

Addison, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Sep 26, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Random wrote:
<quoted text>. Your ignorance on this situation is unfortunately common, addiction is a disease it is not a moral dillema! People at this stage in addiction no longer have a choice, it is very sad but a fact! My thoughts and prayers to all the family and friends, and also to any one suffering from this horrifying disease!
Correct. Addiction is a disease. But you can't be an alcoholic if you don't decide to drink alcohol. It's common sense. The kid made a choice initially. That was the downfall. Ultimately the addiction took over. You're right about that. But the kid didn't come out of the womb and addict. Sorry. Sorry to his family. Sorry your son is gone. But that's because of the choices he made.

“The blessings of liberty”

Since: Oct 09

Braidwood

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Sep 26, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

me wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct. Addiction is a disease. But you can't be an alcoholic if you don't decide to drink alcohol. It's common sense. The kid made a choice initially. That was the downfall. Ultimately the addiction took over. You're right about that. But the kid didn't come out of the womb and addict. Sorry. Sorry to his family. Sorry your son is gone. But that's because of the choices he made.
What's really sad about addiction is most people who get addicted have their first trip when they're too young to really understand the consequences. Kids don't think about the future they live for "the now". It's easy to click your tongue and wag your finger when it's not you or your child but you really need to take a step back and look. Nobody wants your sympathy, but a little empathy would be nice. Karma, the law of reaping and sowing, however you look at it, to me it says I should have compassion on others if I expect anyone to have compassion on me.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Coal City Forum right now

Search the Coal City Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
EZ Living's moving to Braidwood 15 min Happy Dad 9
Bob's Auto Service in Coal City. 1 hr Alex 7
Docs Parking Lot 4 hr Happy Dad 17
Smile Spa 4 hr Jenny 9
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 4 hr AnyCommieWillDoCantBWorse 3,829
Jacks All American Grill 6 hr just asking 1
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 6 hr Religionthebiglie 48,888
•••
•••
•••
Coal City Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Coal City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Coal City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Coal City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Coal City
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••