Explosive fire in Coal City causes $4...

Explosive fire in Coal City causes $45,000 damage

There are 15 comments on the Morris Daily Herald story from Apr 9, 2012, titled Explosive fire in Coal City causes $45,000 damage. In it, Morris Daily Herald reports that:

Property damages from a fire in Coal City midday Monday, April 9, involving a shed and nearby trees, have been estimated at approximately $45,000. The homeowner at 515 N. Fifth Avenue, Coal City, was reportedly burning scrap wood pieces in a burn barrel about 5 to 6 feet away from a shed on his property around 11:30 a.m. The wind likely spread the ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Morris Daily Herald.

Darwin

Blackwood, NJ

#1 Apr 10, 2012
What a dumb@$$!!!!!
Firefighter

Coal City, IL

#2 Apr 10, 2012
the real joke was the fire department my tax dollars for a department that cant put out a garage fire without help from morris and braidwood hahahaha
WHO

Morris, IL

#3 Apr 10, 2012
With all the equipment this town has it is kind of funny they had to call for back up .
someone

Oswego, IL

#4 Apr 10, 2012
Hey firefighter, if you pay attention and know anything every fire department calls other towns. It so they can do there best at saving life and property. Most departments have what they call autoaid which when the call comes in they are also called. Know what your talking about before you start bashing your towns department.
some one who knows

Morris, IL

#5 Apr 10, 2012
Firefighter wrote:
the real joke was the fire department my tax dollars for a department that cant put out a garage fire without help from morris and braidwood hahahaha
The reason other towns are called when there is a fire isn't because our dept can't handle the fire it's part of a program called MABAS it stands for Mutal Aid Box Alarm System. Maybe you should research your info a bit better. It's in place so you don't use all of your fire fighting equipment to put one fire out. What I'd your trailer starts on fire out in Burt Estates and they have all the fire equipment at another fire in progress. Damn guess your trailer will burn to the ground and then you will complain that no other towns came to help out

WHO

Morris, IL

#6 Apr 10, 2012
Thats why you pay for insurance let it go .
Heard

Niles, IL

#8 Apr 12, 2012
They send everyone out when something happens. So all the fire depts have something to do to waste taxpayers money. And it makes the guys on the Dept feel like they did something. And gives them something to talk about down at the Dept. What a joke wait til some big happens around here. We will be screwed.
WHO

Morris, IL

#9 Apr 12, 2012
Sounds about right, When the first response to the call arrives at the scene surely they should be able to assess the situation and realize if two or three other towns need to drive 30 minutes to arrive at the scene to a fire that is or should have been smoldering with one truck on the scene. Maybe they just need someone else to pat them on the back and BS with after they are done.
dan

Joliet, IL

#10 Apr 12, 2012
could have maybe put that fire out with the garden hose?
WHO

Morris, IL

#11 Apr 13, 2012
They call all these other towns in to up there log books so when they need more tax money they can say it's needed because of the increase in calls for there service. All the towns are in it together think about how much is waisted every time a call goes out and three or four towns are called but it is not really needed but it makes them look busy.
ihatestupid

Joliet, IL

#12 Apr 13, 2012
I hear the fire department is taking applications how bout all you" know it all's" put your money where your mouths are and join the fire dept. to make some changes !!!! Dont believe you will do any such thing , as all you do is bitch about everything ......better yet as i have stated before if the fire and police dept are as bad as you all say they are STOP CALLING 911 when you need help and handle it on your own ....might i suggest something a lil bigger than a "garden hose" and pratice up on your basic 1st aid ,maybe some self defense classes so when you get smacked on your diapers you wont poop yourself !
some one who knows

Morris, IL

#13 Apr 13, 2012
ihatestupid wrote:
I hear the fire department is taking applications how bout all you" know it all's" put your money where your mouths are and join the fire dept. to make some changes !!!! Dont believe you will do any such thing , as all you do is bitch about everything ......better yet as i have stated before if the fire and police dept are as bad as you all say they are STOP CALLING 911 when you need help and handle it on your own ....might i suggest something a lil bigger than a "garden hose" and pratice up on your basic 1st aid ,maybe some self defense classes so when you get smacked on your diapers you wont poop yourself !
I was on the dept. as a matter of fact I was on 2 depts for a total of 18 years
ihatestupid

United States

#14 Apr 15, 2012
Your story tell it how ya want to !!!!!
some one who knows wrote:
<quoted text>
I was on the dept. as a matter of fact I was on 2 depts for a total of 18 years
Bob Hoff

Coal City, IL

#15 Apr 16, 2012
the fire was fought wrong no question about it just lack of leadership is to blame. first in engine should pull 2and a half to front of stucture using a narrow fog pattern swirl it in the front of shed/garage letting wind carry water thru building(not spraying side of structure with wind blowing water away) second engine protect exposures. the building was total loss anyway so just be smart and use wind to your advantage. no need for mutual aid that is just chiefs who over react to a situation.
ihatestupid

Joliet, IL

#16 Apr 16, 2012
I truly hope Chief Hoff is notified that someone is using his name in some two bit neighborhood internet post gallery ,and seeks legal actions for slandering his name !!!!!why dont you use your own name ? So everyone would know has all the answers on tatics in the fire service !!!! as stated before join up and put your infinate wisdom to good use ..........just for the record dumber than a box of rocks the fire service has this new invention called a smoothbore nozzle which wind has no bearing on as its a solid stream of water !!!! A narrow fog the wind will blow where ever it wants to even with the wind at your back ......my name says it all !!!!!!!
Bob Hoff wrote:
the fire was fought wrong no question about it just lack of leadership is to blame. first in engine should pull 2and a half to front of stucture using a narrow fog pattern swirl it in the front of shed/garage letting wind carry water thru building(not spraying side of structure with wind blowing water away) second engine protect exposures. the building was total loss anyway so just be smart and use wind to your advantage. no need for mutual aid that is just chiefs who over react to a situation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coal City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Coal City Baseball 1 hr ralph 12
Mayor Vehrs team plagued with Drugs. 3 hr PD supporter 3
95 and laughing at all of you. 4 hr Coopertone Tornado 1
Patched members Wed Truth 6
Mexican restaurant Apr 18 Whateverdude 4
Fruit market (Sep '15) Apr 18 ICE 21
La Cocina (Oct '15) Apr 17 no more fraud 58

Coal City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance