|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Gotcha wrote:
Called the same lawyer.$1500 to find out what IP address is being used. Can not always sue but if you want to no who is slandering you it is worth the money.
yawn..... Lawyer's name?
Gummi bear

Watertown, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Happy Dad wrote:
<quoted text>yawn..... Lawyer's name?
Lionel Hutz.

“The blessings of liberty”

Since: Oct 09

Braidwood

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Gummi bear wrote:
<quoted text>
Lionel Hutz.
LOL exactly!!!
Damn

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Heard this also. Kids and adults involved. Now they want forgiveness.
Hello

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

First it was jesus was coming and all sinners were in trouble. Then it was 1 or 2 people were in trouble. Then it was $1,500 to i.d. an ip address.
For a cold 6 pack I will give you the names of some the high school bandits. This is all b.s. No attorney is going to get an i.p. address without a court order ... an maybe a legal battle from topix. If all people would just be nice this would be a good blog. The one person was correct - it this was true how much lunch money can you get? But it is not. Everyone behave! Both sides of this silly game.

Braidwood

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Hello wrote:
First it was jesus was coming and all sinners were in trouble. Then it was 1 or 2 people were in trouble. Then it was $1,500 to i.d. an ip address.
For a cold 6 pack I will give you the names of some the high school bandits. This is all b.s. No attorney is going to get an i.p. address without a court order ... an maybe a legal battle from topix. If all people would just be nice this would be a good blog. The one person was correct - it this was true how much lunch money can you get? But it is not. Everyone behave! Both sides of this silly game.
Right! Read about the Texas case it took over a year and a Federal Judge to issue a warrant. LOL as if you can give a local Coal City lawyer $1500.00 and magically you have IP addresses. This one makes me laugh.
For real

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, there is a precedence. In a Texas case, the court ordered Topix to turn over the identity of 178 posters. Topix fought it and ended up compromising by turning over a partial list.
You cannot defame someone and call it "freedom of speech". These Topix posters found that out to the tune of $13 million. Basically, if you say it, you'd better be able to prove it is true.
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/jury-awards-13...
This is all the proof you need. The system will punish if you defame.

Braidwood

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

For real wrote:
<quoted text>
For real? LOL did you even read the story? 3 years and a expensive long hard fought battle. Not $1500 to a small town lawyer and poof you got a IP address. The system didn't punish anybody, in fact it's the system that makes this so difficult. This was amazing lawyer work persistence and deep financial pockets. This is one in thousands of cases however and I challenge you to find another win. All this story proves is that we are moving in the right direction and that if it happens in Coal City IL. It will be big news.

The debate isn't about whether people should be held accountable. In my mind there's no question. Yes they should. The debate isn't even, "is it possible." The link does show that it is indeed possible. What I'm taking issue with is people that come on here and lie and say that they themselves received a letter pinpointing their own IP address. And then either changing there screen names "notice server locations" or having a friend collaborate their story to give it credence.

So... Why don't we discuss the fact that it is very simple to have a post removed. Just report it as abuse.
yeah yeah yeah

Davenport, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

For real wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a huge difference between not guilty and innocent. And I have experienced enough abuse of power first hand in Texas and Georgia that I will live in Illinois the rest of my life.
LOL

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

This is all so funny. By the time this gets through the Federal Appellete Court or U.S. Supreme Court we will all be very old. Lets say you a correct. Just for shits and giggles. What does a judge do when it is determined it was high school students? Do you really believe a judge is going to hold the parents responsible? I think not.
No lunch today. I want your lunch money. It takes decades for most issues to get through the courts.
I agree with the person above. Just report abuse to Topix and they will remove the blog. Y'all must be board. Trying to be the boogie man and scare people. Your almost as bad as the people who talk crap on this site.

Braidwood

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

"Happy Dad" may not be right all the time but he's right on the money this time. This is a weak attempt at starting a rumor.
Truth

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Happy Dad wrote:
"Happy Dad" may not be right all the time but he's right on the money this time. This is a weak attempt at starting a rumor.
Yep. But you have to admit that some people on the Coal City forum push the limits and fully deserve a lesson in adult behavior. Maybe a little fabricated fear will straighten some out and they will stop ruining it for everyone else. They have proven that they just might be dumb enough to fall for it.

Braidwood

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. But you have to admit that some people on the Coal City forum push the limits and fully deserve a lesson in adult behavior. Maybe a little fabricated fear will straighten some out and they will stop ruining it for everyone else. They have proven that they just might be dumb enough to fall for it.
Yeah.... I agree with that. There are people who should be held accountable. Though to be fair nothing I've seen on any of the local topix compares to what happened in Texas. Those people's whole life was destroyed. And it went on and on relentlessly. It was a cyber attack with the intent to do harm. That being said, it still isn't ok to spread lies about people. It isn't ok to invade their privacy and say things that will harm their reputation.

I don't agree however that claiming that people are being exposed and punished will stop it. It may cause the attackers stop for awhile but the story isn't even believable. It potentially could embolden them after a few months and they don't receive a letter.

Wouldn't it be better to discuss that this sort of abuse of "free speech" is causing the lawmakers to look at ways to limit out rights even more? I probably should have stayed off of this thread. But I have a bad habit of calling a spade a spade.
Wrong

Wessington Springs, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Believe what you may but this is true. I know the people They are ashamed and want this over. They all come from wealth. So time and money don't mean anything. Just knowing who defamed them is all they wanted.

Braidwood

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Wrong wrote:
Believe what you may but this is true. I know the people They are ashamed and want this over. They all come from wealth. So time and money don't mean anything. Just knowing who defamed them is all they wanted.
oh... OK...well thanks
Truth

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Happy Dad wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah.... I agree with that. There are people who should be held accountable. Though to be fair nothing I've seen on any of the local topix compares to what happened in Texas. Those people's whole life was destroyed. And it went on and on relentlessly. It was a cyber attack with the intent to do harm. That being said, it still isn't ok to spread lies about people. It isn't ok to invade their privacy and say things that will harm their reputation.
I don't agree however that claiming that people are being exposed and punished will stop it. It may cause the attackers stop for awhile but the story isn't even believable. It potentially could embolden them after a few months and they don't receive a letter.
Wouldn't it be better to discuss that this sort of abuse of "free speech" is causing the lawmakers to look at ways to limit out rights even more? I probably should have stayed off of this thread. But I have a bad habit of calling a spade a spade.
I think too much emphasis was placed on the letter and not enough emphasis was placed on the idea that Freedom of Speech does not mean you can say whatever you want, whenever you want. Anyone who thinks they have blanket protection under this amendment is just plain ignorant.
So so

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

Scary
Serious

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

Wow. Good news.
No no

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

Shame on you.
Favor

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

This was a long time coming.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Coal City Forum right now

Search the Coal City Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr truth 49,025
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 2 hr Corrupt Democrats 1,878
Conservation Police 2 hr Boater 26
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 7 hr Audit 3,853
Who do you support for Secretary of State in Il... (Oct '10) 7 hr fassdle 527
IL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Illinois ... (Oct '10) 7 hr fassdle 6,591
Whats new in CC 18 hr pizza lover 8
•••
•••
•••
•••

Coal City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Coal City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE