Major fire strikes downtown Cloudcroft

Major fire strikes downtown Cloudcroft

There are 35 comments on the Alamogordo Daily News story from Dec 13, 2010, titled Major fire strikes downtown Cloudcroft. In it, Alamogordo Daily News reports that:

A major catastrophic fire has reportedly struck down Cloudcroft this morning. Unconfirmed reports say the fire broke out at about 4:30 a.m. Monday at the Pine Stump Mall and the Copper Butterfly store along Burro Street in Cloudcroft.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alamogordo Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
NeenerNeenerNeen er

Alamogordo, NM

#24 Dec 13, 2010
1st Nat'l Bank in C'croft is taking donations for the businesses and employees..............

“Pro-Constitution , Anti-Obama!”

Since: May 10

Capitan, NM

#25 Dec 13, 2010
Glad it didnt get out of hand!

Since: Jul 08

Alamogordo, NM

#26 Dec 13, 2010
SadDayForCloudcroft wrote:
<quoted text> On the www.cloudcroftcam.com you can see a cinder block wall that officials are reportedly stating prevented the spread of the fire past Instant Kharma, and consuming the entire block.
All construction should be cinder block to prevent fire spreading and also for sound proofing. Frame construction should be against code everywhere.
Handyman

Albuquerque, NM

#27 Dec 13, 2010
I saw this story on the El Paso news website this morning. When I called the Alamogordo newspaper and asked why they were not carrying it, I ended up talking to a rude and crude woman with a very nasty ass attitude. I am still wondering why we find out things like this from anywhere BUT the local news?

Cloudcroft, we are truely sorry to haer about your loss.
Cloudcroft Resident

Cloudcroft, NM

#28 Dec 13, 2010
Andy Whiteman wrote:
<quoted text>
All construction should be cinder block to prevent fire spreading and also for sound proofing. Frame construction should be against code everywhere.
I keep reading these comments about how code should be this or that and why commercial buildings have fire alarms and sprinklers, etc. I'm just wondering if you realize that the building where the fire started was somewhere around 100 years old...
By the way, if you haven't been to Cloudcroft, I feel sorry for you that you missed out on the wonderful ambiance of our sleepy little village. Come see it when we re-build. Obviously it won't be authentic, but hopefully they will be able to make it good again.

PS. Don't think we don't know these buildings need updating. We do realize these things. However, its a little difficult when even the business owners here live almost paycheck to paycheck. It may not be much, but its a decent life here and its a LOT better than most other places in the world!

Alamogordo, NM

#29 Dec 13, 2010
Handyman wrote:
I saw this story on the El Paso news website this morning. When I called the Alamogordo newspaper and asked why they were not carrying it, I ended up talking to a rude and crude woman with a very nasty **** attitude. I am still wondering why we find out things like this from anywhere BUT the local news?
Cloudcroft, we are truely sorry to haer about your loss.

I monitor Alamogordo news on my msnbc.com home page. I have been wondering why most articles on local news are from Cruces. Now I know. I discovered the fire from a friend's posting 70 pics on FaceBook. I finally went to www.alamogordonews.com to find the story. It finally appeared on my homepage this evening. I thought the Alamogordo News was owned by the same company as the El Paso and Deming papers.

“no image available”

Since: Oct 08

Alamogordo

#30 Dec 13, 2010
I like to go to Cloudcroft and I will continue to shop there when I can. It is a nice place to visit when you want to feel like being someplace different. It's so close to home, yet it's like a whole different state.

I am sure sorry to hear about the fire and know that things will back to normal soon.

“Leadership is listening.”

Since: Jan 09

Casper, WY and Alamogordo, NM

#31 Dec 13, 2010
I can't hardly even express my feelings for our mountain neighbors here in the Sacramento Mountains. Prayers of Thanksgiving that there wasn't any loss of life. Tears of sadness for the people of Cloudcroft.

Drove through the smoke plume this morning on the way up the mountain. Then waited most of the morning wondering of our Sunspot Fire/EMS Dept. was going to be called out for mutual aid. It would have been difficult to respond as some of our members were already at the fire as members of Cloudcroft, High Rolls and Cox Canyon departments as well.

Wicky, there will be no "normal" for Cloudcroft any time soon. Although I've heard reports about "rebuilding" already - most of the businesses there have been dependent for years for holiday sales to carry them through the year. There won't be any holiday sales to help sustain them. Business in Cloudcroft is dependent upon each other. The loss of the Pine Stump Mall/Dave's Cafe and the Copper Butterfly will hit the community hard. Not to mention the other small businesses affected by the fire.

I'm angry right now at the media. TV news gave Cloudcroft all of 30 seconds on tonight's news. How can they not afford more air time to a tragedy like this that can and "may" destroy a town?

As you say your prayers tonight folks remember the folks in Cloudcroft and all of us that live in the mountain communities. We are dependent upon each other and this fire will affect us all.

“Our nearest star”

Since: May 09

Alamogordo, NM

#32 Dec 13, 2010
I see on the webcam that they brought a firetruck back in and are still spraying water on some hot spots.
Heisenberg

Alamogordo, NM

#33 Dec 13, 2010
Andy,
I understand what you're saying about code, and such, and as others have mentioned, these buildings were close to being at, or over 100 years old.

It is this history, and heritage of these areas that are the basis, and allure of thier community, they have been what makes Cloudcroft "Cloudcroft", and even if they can be replaced with identical replicas, they can never truly be the same.

Take other areas, such as Lincoln, Capitan, these too have important history. When you visit these towns, there's a magic that transports you back in time, to a simpler, better life.

Not sure if you've ever had the pleasure visiting Cloudcroft Andy, but I'm sure one day you will.
It's truly a beautiful area.

I imagine that one can simply stop by the local 1st National Bank here in Alamogordo, to make donations? If so, I will be stopping there soon.

I'd like suggesting to others to try to make the effort to make a kind donation, even if it's just a few dollars.

I know this compassionate donation will be deeply appreciated by these folks who've suffered this horrible loss.
land locked sailor

Alamogordo, NM

#35 Dec 13, 2010
ladyastronomer wrote:
I can't hardly even express my feelings for our mountain neighbors here in the Sacramento Mountains. Prayers of Thanksgiving that there wasn't any loss of life. Tears of sadness for the people of Cloudcroft.
Drove through the smoke plume this morning on the way up the mountain. Then waited most of the morning wondering of our Sunspot Fire/EMS Dept. was going to be called out for mutual aid. It would have been difficult to respond as some of our members were already at the fire as members of Cloudcroft, High Rolls and Cox Canyon departments as well.
Wicky, there will be no "normal" for Cloudcroft any time soon. Although I've heard reports about "rebuilding" already - most of the businesses there have been dependent for years for holiday sales to carry them through the year. There won't be any holiday sales to help sustain them. Business in Cloudcroft is dependent upon each other. The loss of the Pine Stump Mall/Dave's Cafe and the Copper Butterfly will hit the community hard. Not to mention the other small businesses affected by the fire.
I'm angry right now at the media. TV news gave Cloudcroft all of 30 seconds on tonight's news. How can they not afford more air time to a tragedy like this that can and "may" destroy a town?
As you say your prayers tonight folks remember the folks in Cloudcroft and all of us that live in the mountain communities. We are dependent upon each other and this fire will affect us all.
I watched channel 4, 7, and 13 for the 5 and 6 news cast and they had very good coverage with helicopter coverage, news reporters on the ground talking to local citizens and the mayor, plus showing video recording of the fire fighters, i thought the coverage was good.
Maybe the local news here is not a big story to them since they the news media are not based in this region.

It was a tragic lost for the community, and no lives were lost.
Lonee Goins

AOL

#37 Dec 14, 2010
I watched the fire from 7:30 Las Vegas time 'til one fire truck left...Dave is my son-in-law...Jan, my daughter...My heart goes out to all the people involved..especially the workers....Does the webcam have a disc backup of the tragic event? I tried to copy it but the photos didn't stay...I wish I did have a record of it...I have 2 photos I printed...The colors aren't great but in one the Copper Buterfly was still standing..the next it is gone...I missed Dave's completely...It was rubble when I got the news and got on...

Alamogordo, NM

#38 Dec 14, 2010
Heisenberg wrote:
Andy,
I understand what you're saying about code, and such, and as others have mentioned, these buildings were close to being at, or over 100 years old.
It is this history, and heritage of these areas that are the basis, and allure of thier community, they have been what makes Cloudcroft "Cloudcroft", and even if they can be replaced with identical replicas, they can never truly be the same.
Take other areas, such as Lincoln, Capitan, these too have important history. When you visit these towns, there's a magic that transports you back in time, to a simpler, better life.
Not sure if you've ever had the pleasure visiting Cloudcroft Andy, but I'm sure one day you will.
It's truly a beautiful area.
I imagine that one can simply stop by the local 1st National Bank here in Alamogordo, to make donations? If so, I will be stopping there soon.
I'd like suggesting to others to try to make the effort to make a kind donation, even if it's just a few dollars.
I know this compassionate donation will be deeply appreciated by these folks who've suffered this horrible loss.
Heisenberg, I understand that the buildings obviously met code 100 years ago (if there was a code). My grandfather's house in Roswell was build of adobe way over 100 years ago. What I meant to say was that ALL new construction should be of cinder block or adobe as both a fire block and noise abatement.

I don't go out much but after I get to Alamogordo, I may take a drive to Cloudcroft if they are open in the evenings.

Alamogordo, NM

#39 Dec 14, 2010
Lonee Goins wrote:
I watched the fire from 7:30 Las Vegas time 'til one fire truck left...Dave is my son-in-law...Jan, my daughter...My heart goes out to all the people involved..especially the workers....Does the webcam have a disc backup of the tragic event? I tried to copy it but the photos didn't stay...I wish I did have a record of it...I have 2 photos I printed...The colors aren't great but in one the Copper Buterfly was still standing..the next it is gone...I missed Dave's completely...It was rubble when I got the news and got on...
Lonee, I suggest you contact the owner of the webcam about a backup. If it is there for security, quite possibly they may maintain a back up system. Possibly someone decided to preserve the tragic event via 70 photos a friend posted on FaceBook. You might try a web search or a FaceBook search.
Michael Morris

Carrizozo, NM

#40 Jan 11, 2011
So was the cause determined and reported yet?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cloudcroft Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) Apr 30 trumpclinton shel... 8,752
Adult video (Sep '10) Apr 27 Jamonit 14
News 100 years later, Geronimo may return to NM - Ru... (Feb '09) Apr 19 Anonymous 40
DIABETES WeightLoss PRESIÓN ARTERIAL ALTA Apr 9 REDDOLL9 2
News Eunice company alleges embezzlement by workers (Mar '10) Apr '16 Chasity 79
lokking Mar '16 Question 2
News Man's Body Found Smoldering Outside Artesia, NM (Nov '12) Mar '16 Robert Walters 39
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cloudcroft Mortgages