Major fire strikes downtown Cloudcroft

Major fire strikes downtown Cloudcroft

There are 35 comments on the Alamogordo Daily News story from Dec 13, 2010, titled Major fire strikes downtown Cloudcroft. In it, Alamogordo Daily News reports that:

A major catastrophic fire has reportedly struck down Cloudcroft this morning. Unconfirmed reports say the fire broke out at about 4:30 a.m. Monday at the Pine Stump Mall and the Copper Butterfly store along Burro Street in Cloudcroft.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alamogordo Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Hemingway

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Dec 13, 2010
This is sad for Cloudcroft, its residents and merchants!!!!!!!!!! We love the town.
bouncer

Alamogordo, NM

#2 Dec 13, 2010
I think the actions of some very brave and cold firefighters may have saved what could have been a truly giant disaster. Thanks to the firefighters for your bravery and dedication.

“I am as vain as I allow.”

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#3 Dec 13, 2010
they just tore down the Copper Butterfly.
From Florida

Crestview, FL

#4 Dec 13, 2010
My daughter and family live up on the mountain. We visited last summer. What a beautiful place. Thank You to the Firemen and Law Enforcement. Our thoughts to the business owners and their families.
Gramma

Alamogordo, NM

#5 Dec 13, 2010
Sad day..
ohno

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Dec 13, 2010
God bless all those who are facing the loss of their hard work and businesses and God bless all those who worked to save what they could. We'll all be praying for you.

Since: Oct 08

#7 Dec 13, 2010
Another reason for commercial buildings to have sprinkler and fire alarm systems. Hope they all had sufficient insurance to cover their loses.
Linda Kennedy

Thorndale, TX

#8 Dec 13, 2010
So sorry to hear about the tragedy in my favorite NM village. You will be in our prayers.
Unico

Alamogordo, NM

#9 Dec 13, 2010
It's sad that such a beautiful community landmark has been scarred. My prayers go out to all of those who have been affected by it. I also thank God that it happened in the early morning hours when people weren't in the buildings. I hope they will be able to rebuild.
my2sense

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Dec 13, 2010
Just did some Christmas shopping there Saturday. We are heartbroken that this happened. These are such nice people and we so enjoyed our visit. Please...bless the firefighters that worked so hard and thought only of the folks that were in need. This changes our holiday priorities
Very Sad

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Dec 13, 2010
Our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in Cloudcroft. Thank you Firemen and Volunteers for your dedication and bravery.

“Navy veteran. ”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#12 Dec 13, 2010
Unico wrote:
It's sad that such a beautiful community landmark has been scarred. My prayers go out to all of those who have been affected by it. I also thank God that it happened in the early morning hours when people weren't in the buildings. I hope they will be able to rebuild.
Maybe if it had been later someone could have called and the response time could have saved more.
SadDayForCloudcr oft

Arlington, TX

#14 Dec 13, 2010
Cloudcroft fire destroys Copper Butterfly & Pine Stump Mall which housed Dave's Cafe, Sisters, Yeti's Gift Shop, Hank's Hair Shop, and Treeriffic. Unconfirmed reports of smoke and water damage to Instant Karma as well.

So sad for everyone who lost something in this fire, including Cloudcroft Mayor Venable, as Dave's was his retirement future. My heart breaks that the Copper Butterfly is gone. I have been shopping there every time I went home to visit my parents.
Heisneberg

Alamogordo, NM

#15 Dec 13, 2010
Very sad happening to such a pretty area, and town.
Glad that I have heard of no injuries, and such.

Hope that this area will one day again be the same like it was.
Ireland Rose

Alamogordo, NM

#16 Dec 13, 2010
So sad to hear of this news. I love Cloudcroft and loved going shoppping at the stores. The people are so nice and helpful. I will be keeping all of those affected by this fire and the entire village of Cloudcroft in my prayers.
Candace Overstreet

Benton, KY

#17 Dec 13, 2010
Technology, ain't it wonderful. I am sitting in Indiana watching CC go up in smoke! Class of '66, remember when the old gym burned and how sad that was. The internet is wonderful, so are newspapers to keep people up on whose dead and not, but this is very surreal.

Since: Jul 08

Alamogordo, NM

#18 Dec 13, 2010
Thank God there were no casualties! My prayers are with the people of Cloudcroft.

Looking at the webcam, it is a true miracle that the fire didn't take more. The building to the right appears to be untouched. Generally in close building fires, the fire really spreads quickly.
WASP

Carrizozo, NM

#19 Dec 13, 2010
what a shame, I love Cloudcroft, I pray the people of the town will rally around and help those who lost their businesses.
SadDayForCloudcr oft

Arlington, TX

#20 Dec 13, 2010
Andy Whiteman wrote:
Thank God there were no casualties! My prayers are with the people of Cloudcroft.
Looking at the webcam, it is a true miracle that the fire didn't take more. The building to the right appears to be untouched. Generally in close building fires, the fire really spreads quickly.
On the www.cloudcroftcam.com you can see a cinder block wall that officials are reportedly stating prevented the spread of the fire past Instant Kharma, and consuming the entire block.
SadDayForCloudcr oft

Arlington, TX

#22 Dec 13, 2010
Exclusive video shot by KFOX of Cloudcroft business (Copper Butterfly)destroyed by Monday's fire captures the building being torn down. http://bit.ly/eyJTLA

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cloudcroft Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) 5 hr Richies Cool Man ... 8,952
Adult video (Sep '10) 21 hr 1stRider 26
Gay sexting (Oct '14) Jul 17 George Bento 12
Anthony Cera Jul 17 Frankenfools swee... 6
is border patrol academy moving Jul 11 Question 1
News County planning document approved by commissioners Jul 4 old tree 5
Biggest ho in Artesia any age? Jun '17 88210anm 2

Cloudcroft Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance