Cloudcroft will need our help after fire

The Monday morning fire that devastated downtown Cloudcroft couldn't have arrived at a worse time. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
CFG

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Dec 15, 2010
Cant the employees collect unemployment till they rebuild. Dont the owners also have insurance to rebuild and replace lost items?
cartoon

Alamogordo, NM

#2 Dec 15, 2010
The relief fund is a nice gesture, but what ever happened to insurance. Part of the overhead of running a business is insurance. All too often after a fire I see the hat being passed around because someone was trying to squeeze a buck and forgo the cost of business insurance. That is like driving without a seatbelt or working without goggles on...you go and go, but someday you might pay. I hope these good people had insurance and the fund is just a sympathetic gesture...like it should be.
bouncer

Montgomery, AL

#3 Dec 15, 2010
I agree CFG but I also think what a terrible time for this to happen, no check in the world will replace the memories and spirit. The loss of a job and a business at Christmas has to take its toll on the mind as well as the wallet - I think now more than ever support by caring would mean more than a check. Just my thoughts. I know when I was a kid we lost our barn to a fire along with the cows, chickens and equipment - but the support my family got from the community meant so much more than finances.
House of Critters

Cloudcroft, NM

#4 Dec 15, 2010
Does insurance cover lost sales, or pay wages for employees who are now out of a job?
NeenerNeenerNeen er

Alamogordo, NM

#6 Dec 15, 2010
I don't know about all of the business owners but the owner of one of the businesses in the little mall said in the paper that she had business insurance. It will cover her equipment, supplies, etc. Even if all of them have insurance, do you think that's going to provide an income? I don't think so.

I feel for the employees more than the business owners at this point. They don't have any control over whether or not the business owner has insurance or how insurance or unemployment might apply to them. The whole thing is terrible.

There's no way the buildings can be rebuilt, stocked and opened for business again before Christmas to replace the lost wages of the employees. If unemployment kicks in for the employees, which I've never heard of (does anyone know if unemployment applies in this type of situation? Would this be like a lay-off or termination?), I doubt it'll be processed fast enough to cover rent, food, utilities, bills, etc. by the end of the month.

Have you got an extra dollar? Donate it. Cloudcroft has always seemed like a close-knit little community to me. Help them help themselves.
House of Critters

Cloudcroft, NM

#7 Dec 15, 2010
Unemployment does not pay as much as your salary. It does not cover lost tips. Some of these businesses, like the hairdressing shop, would not have paid hourly, but by the customer. There would have been more customers in these two weeks.

And again, insurance usually covers material losses, not loss of income. They count on this time period to make a good portion of their annual income.
Good grief, people, how did the Christmas spirit turn into "that's their problem"?!
Burn Baby Burn

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Dec 15, 2010
I am shocked that anyone could feel sorry for cloudcroft all of those transplanted Texans who are arrogant and smug thinking they are better than everyone down here in Alamogordo, they are all weathier than any of us down here and they DO NOT need our help! I'm sure if they had half a brain, they surely had insurance and fire insurance on thier property,, if not then they are stupid idiots!!!! If a buisiness here in Alamogordo burned they wouldnt give a second of thier time to feel sorry for any of it! Maybe it's New Mexico telling them GO BACK HOME TEXANS!!!! DONT COME BACK AND KEEP THE CHANGE YOU FILTHY ANIMALS!!!!! HA HA HA!
Jason

United States

#9 Dec 15, 2010
House of Critters wrote:
Does insurance cover lost sales, or pay wages for employees who are now out of a job?
It can cover lost sales, but probably not specifically lost wages for employees. However, if the business owner has a good insurance policy and their business income is being paid as part of the claim, then they should be able to pay their employees.

I think it is awful and feel for the entire community of Cloudcroft. I just think that if these business owners were responsible, there wouldn't be a fund. Its the holidays for all of us and most people don't just have extra money lying around.

This is the situation you buy insurance for, folks. When something bad happens, do you want to burden your community or family and hope they will lift you up, or do you want to KNOW things will be taken care of? Hope you never have to use it, but make sure you have YOUR assets covered!
Cloudcroft Worker

High Rolls Mountain Park, NM

#10 Dec 15, 2010
Thank you NeenerNeenerNeen er and House of Critters. I work in Cloudcroft, granted my location of employment is on the other side of town from where this horrible tradegy happened. Cloudcroft is a tight knit community that will rebuild, but it will be hard without the holiday income that those shops recieve. Unemployment takes weeks to file & with the holidays coming up, who knows when those employees could collect it.

And for thos business owners, who cares if they had insurance, insurance is going to help them rebuild, not keep their lives going & support their families! These are real people that are affected by this!

Cloudcroft is not asking you to donate your life savings or stop buying Christmas presents. They're asking for some spare change you just throw on your dresser, or those dollars that are just sitting there in your car. They would do the exact same thing for anyone else in this county if the situation ever arose.

Please people, have a heart. Don't let this ruin the good people of Cloudcroft's Christmas. Cause chances are, you or a loved one has bought something from those shops affected. And now it's gone. Remember, karma always comes around with a vengence.
Not a Texan

Placitas, NM

#11 Dec 15, 2010
Burn Baby Burn wrote:
I am shocked that anyone could feel sorry for cloudcroft all of those transplanted Texans who are arrogant and smug thinking they are better than everyone down here in Alamogordo, they are all weathier than any of us down here and they DO NOT need our help! I'm sure if they had half a brain, they surely had insurance and fire insurance on thier property,, if not then they are stupid idiots!!!! If a buisiness here in Alamogordo burned they wouldnt give a second of thier time to feel sorry for any of it! Maybe it's New Mexico telling them GO BACK HOME TEXANS!!!! DONT COME BACK AND KEEP THE CHANGE YOU FILTHY ANIMALS!!!!! HA HA HA!
Such comments demonstrate how a "harmless" kidding around about Texans can become a vicious damaging lack of compassion. Burn Baby Burn should go back to the mud hole from which they came.
mtn mama

AOL

#12 Dec 15, 2010
burn baby burn has a point. There Are a lot of transplanted Texans up here. HOWEVER, not all of the folks who live up here on the mountain are wealthy. In fact, I'd say at least half of them are not. Most are just the usual poor working stiffs trying to make a living, like anywhere else. I believe that the business owners Do have insurance, but like House of Critters says, insurance doesn't usually replace tips, or your salary, etc. In fact, at least one of the businesses that was lost in the fire hired a lot of the teenagers up here, so those kids are now without a part-time job. Don't make judgements on folks unless you really know their situation.
Some people scare me

Phoenix, AZ

#13 Dec 15, 2010
You scare me!...lol
Burn Baby Burn wrote:
bouncer

Montgomery, AL

#14 Dec 15, 2010
Just my thoughts - but this is Christmas and where you are from or how much you have in your bank account means nothing, it is what you have in your heart that counts. Sure I get upset with the Texans who seem to have their own speed limit on Hwy 54, most times if you are doing 70 you will be passed! But the point is - we need to care and share with those dealt a bad hand at a bad time.
Michael Morris

Tularosa, NM

#15 Dec 15, 2010
Has the cause of the fire been established yet?
downinthelowland s

Alamogordo, NM

#16 Dec 15, 2010
----------

I've lived here for 20+ years --- still the same ol' thinkin...and, don't act surprised!
Just me

Washington, DC

#17 Dec 15, 2010
Michael Morris wrote:
Has the cause of the fire been established yet?
Yes. Ellen Wedum stored her losing campaign signs in one of the stores and somehow all the hot air that comes out of her mouth ignited them.
dumbfounded

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Dec 15, 2010
Years ago my family's business was involved in a fire that started in an adjoining building and spread to other businesses. Even tho my parents had insurance, it wouldn't pay because the fire didn't start in their building. I hope this loophole has been fixed and these businesses will not lose everything like my parents dd.
dumbfounded

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Dec 15, 2010
Burn baby burn, you are so crude, Most of the workers that have lost their jobs and businesses were not the Texans but the locals of Cloudcroft, OUR neighbors!!I hope you never have a tragedy or need YOUR neighbors help because with an attitude like yours, you won't deserve it. Even tho I bet kind people will help you anyway.
Deb Shields

Montgomery, AL

#20 Dec 15, 2010
I would imagine a business insurance is similar to home and car insurance -- there's a deductible. So even if they have insurance it is not going to cover all their losses.
_Always_Armed_

Albuquerque, NM

#21 Dec 15, 2010
Burn Baby Burn wrote:
how does a change in altitude effect peoples personalities? you are simple minded, ignorant, and just a sad human being. why would you say something like that? Arent you late for a clan meeting or a cross burning you sad sad person.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cloudcroft Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gangs will never die. Only people. (Mar '09) 12 hr Cowboy 52
Say it in six words (Jul '08) 16 hr seahawkswarm 8,616
weedforsale (Jul '13) Jan 22 Old smoker 6
Chad Daniel....Go Jan 20 curiousgirl1 1
Gay sexting Jan 19 Trevor1974 2
williams twins in cloudcroft Jan 17 ralph jenn 1
Cloudcroft NM Ski Palace rental Rude and Unfrie... (Jan '07) Jan 17 john 9
Cloudcroft Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Cloudcroft People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:16 am PST

NBC Sports 3:16AM
Report: Broncos reach out to Wade Phillips with defensive coordinator needed
NBC Sports 4:09 AM
Bears add two more assistants
Bleacher Report 6:03 AM
Is Balance of Power Shifting in AFC West?
NBC Sports 6:14 AM
Michael Bidwill on Larry Fitzgerald: We'll get this worked out
Bleacher Report 7:42 AM
Kubiak the Right Coach, with or Without Peyton