Weatherford to lay off 45 employees

Nearly 25 percent of employees at one local Weatherford International Ltd. site will lose their jobs by the end of the month. Full Story
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
hillbilly

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Feb 3, 2009
25 more homes on the market, and 25 less families to contribute to the local economy.
C Lee Nickel

United States

#2 Feb 3, 2009
It's a shame that Weatherford Fracturing isn't able to stay profitable and that 45 people are getting laid off. I've been laid off before, and it can be traumatic when you feel your giving your all to a oompany and feel you are part of something. It's important that those affected don't give up.

If they are good reliable hands, they will find work in the "field". That may mean they replace lesser individuals, but the tight labor market here for the last few years meant every drunkard, drug addict, and convicted repeat felon could get a job, as long as they could fool a drug test, sit upright in a truck, and stand up without being too wobbly once on the jobsite.

Plentiful jobs for everybody are a good thing, but I know a lot of bosses who work in the field who put up with a lot of laziness, absenteeism, and general nonsense from workers only because they couldn't find someone to replace them. Now maybe they can afford to get rid of 45 slackards who should be flipping burgers somewhere, and have 45 people to pick from to maybe get some good help.

The Weatherford people I know are top hands.
Farmington Resident

AOL

#3 Feb 3, 2009
Well said C Lee Nickel. Good luck to the people who are losing their jobs.
Skip

Farmington, NM

#4 Feb 3, 2009
Henry Production laid off more than 45, Bearcat Drilling is stacked out, Aztec Worm Circus has a yard full of rigs, Four Four Construction's yard looks like a forest with all the equipment masts sticking up in the air.....

It's going to be a tough year for the Basin. Weatherford is just one of many. The DT needs to get out more.
What the F

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Feb 3, 2009
farmington resident wrote:
I was one of the employees and they didnt offer us a damn thang just a 1000 dollar check and a sorry i was 1 of the 1st employees there and was in upper managment and didnt get any offer to move or another job anywere!!! they just put that stuff in the paper to make them sleep good lastnight and when you go looking for a job everyone is on a hiring freeze damn this sucks! HEY THANKS OBAMA
I'm sorry for your situation and wish the best for you. I do have one concern though. How can you possibly blame Obama for this? This disaster has been a long time coming. Most would blame the administration from the last 8 years. President Obama has been in office for like a week. Nobody, not even G.W., could thrash things that fast.
Joe for OBAMA

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Feb 3, 2009
I was one of the employees and they didnt offer us a damn thang just a 1000 dollar check and a sorry i was 1 of the 1st employees there and was in upper managment and didnt get any offer to move or another job anywere!!! they just put that stuff in the paper to make them sleep good lastnight and when you go looking for a job everyone is on a hiring freeze damn this sucks! HEY THANKS OBAMA
Please EXPLAIN how this is Obama's fault? You say that you were in upper management....I'm sure you were bringing home a good paycheck. Welcome to reality where many of us are and have been struggling. Even those of us with college degrees.
Billy Bacon Eater

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Feb 3, 2009
This lay-off goes to show that we CAN NOT depend on the old-school way of thinking "that if we get a good job and stay there for 50 years and retire, life will be peachy". There are alot of gas field company's that are still working, Go figure out why and what makes them still work and start your own company.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#10 Feb 3, 2009
On my own personal experience with WFT what went around came around...good luck Mr Knight facing people that you previously employed that you screwed over! I would like to see how fast you bounce back here!
The unemployeed

Carrollton, TX

#11 Feb 3, 2009
I too am one of the 45 employee's soon to no longer have a job. The only help we received was www.jobhunt.com . Relocation....HAHAHAHAHAHA now that's the funniest thing I have heard yet!!!!! After our wonderful get the heck out of here speach I called other divisions and they are not hiring. We were instructed that we would have the opportunity to relocate IF other divisions were hiring.....what a bunch of bull. They gave so much effort as reported in the article to helping us find a job then they must think pigs fly too. Don't believe everything coming from the corporate mouth. You will know who we are by the line at the unemployment office holding all those empty promises in our hands. As far as us knowing this was coming I guess if finding out the day we were told is expecting it then we all must be living in a fantasy world. I had turned down several jobs rescently because I was loyal to my company does that sound like someone who knew this was going to happen yesterday? Everyone of course if looking to point a finger as to who is at fault. All I can say is those who are in left in oil field better get out now before the grand Obama does away with it all. For all those smart people working in the oil field that voted for him I hope you realize or paid attention when he said he is against the oil field.
Take care fellow co-workers and I wish only the best for all of you and your families.
The unemployeed

Carrollton, TX

#12 Feb 3, 2009
N8TIVE CHEROKEE wrote:
On my own personal experience with WFT what went around came around...good luck Mr Knight facing people that you previously employed that you screwed over! I would like to see how fast you bounce back here!
Paahhhleeesseeeeee.......Don't blame Mr, Knight or WFT for you being an incompetent employee. If you couldn't keep your job under either of those that was at your own doing. I have been at WFT for a little bit over 2 years, how have I been able to stay here and not you? Mr. Knight has given more people chances than they have deserved that I personally have witnessed. We at WFT have become a family here,I have seen employee's come and go.

“Polymath”

Since: Jul 08

Farmington

#13 Feb 3, 2009
And so the New Depression finally touches even Farmington in our remote, side-eddy of the current of history. Sorry to all you guys that lost your jobs. As quick as you can, try to cross-train into another, more stable career. I hope you all have some education.

In the meantime, best of luck to you.
dog

United States

#14 Feb 3, 2009
Look at it this way, be glad for the 45 Chinese or Mexicans who will get those jobs. Continued outsourcing of jobs is part of the Obama agenda.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#15 Feb 3, 2009
The unemployeed wrote:
<quoted text>
Paahhhleeesseeeeee.......Don't blame Mr, Knight or WFT for you being an incompetent employee. If you couldn't keep your job under either of those that was at your own doing. I have been at WFT for a little bit over 2 years, how have I been able to stay here and not you? Mr. Knight has given more people chances than they have deserved that I personally have witnessed. We at WFT have become a family here,I have seen employee's come and go.
Then you must have not been there since it opened have you!? You have no idea the BS that went on there WAY before you got there...so dont assume you know how grand he is or any one that was there previously...and dont assume how I am no longer there...glad he is out!
What the F

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Feb 3, 2009
dog wrote:
Look at it this way, be glad for the 45 Chinese or Mexicans who will get those jobs. Continued outsourcing of jobs is part of the Obama agenda.
The ability of some of you to continuously blame Obama for this fiasco fascinates me. Bush was the king of outsourcing. He lifted virtually all regulations on companies which opened the door for greed to take over. Largely, the cause of the mess we are in now. Greed ran the banks into the ground (Giving crap loans to people they knew darn well would never pay them off). Greed shipped jobs overseas (The Mexicans and Chinese you mentioned will do the same job for less money without griping like you). Greed caused a war costing billions a month in a country that did not harbor the enemy, Al Qaeda, WMD's, or any other serious threat to the U.S.(Al Qaeda was in Pakistan and Afghanistan...oil was in Iraq).

Blind faith in government is ridiculously dangerous, especially when they are letting corporations run unchecked while simultaneously selling you a load of crap about freedom and terrorism.
sad but true

Albuquerque, NM

#17 Feb 3, 2009
dog wrote:
Are you sure? Go to www.whitehouse.gov and read Obama's agenda, you will not find such a thing.
Farm-town Rezident

Durango, CO

#19 Feb 3, 2009
I must agree with #16 and #17 - when Clinton left office, the US government had a budget surplus - when GW Bush left office, we had a trillion dollar deficit. As stated, blind faith and not understanding the economy is dangerous.
What the F

Albuquerque, NM

#20 Feb 3, 2009
ChickenStreetRN wrote:
<quoted text>Amen!!!Well said,hopefully Obama will usher in a new era in clean,green energy and end corporate OIL GREED!!! Hope&Change is coming to F-town sooner than expected.
While I hope you're correct, I must admit that I am a cynic and have my doubts as to how much stuff Obama will change for the better. It's nothing against him personally, I just believe corruption is so engrained in government (both parties) that it past the point of repair (aside from revolutionary change).

“"I'm worst at what I do best"”

Since: Jan 09

Farmington

#21 Feb 3, 2009
However much you may not like his election, this was a long time coming, a lot longer then he's been elected or in office.
Asia Oil King

Singapore, Singapore

#22 Feb 3, 2009
have FAITH in yourself, this was how successful USA was made.

Remember the weak and deaf frog story....it created a miracle by reaching the top of the steel tower while those big strong frogs who initiated the ideas give up half way thru' because they lost faith when the sun rise and the heat became unbearable.
All the frogs started arguments about
... how's idea?
..we shouldn't have climbed the Tower
...there are no benefits to reach the top
...th's BS
..its your fault.. etc, etc.....

The small deaf frog made it to the top of the steel tower because it'd followed the bigger frog initially and kept climbing as it thought that all were doing the same - climbing, and did not heard the commotion....this is the way life is.

DON'T SEE THE HOPELESS END. SEE THE ENDLESS HOPE.
r o man

Albuquerque, NM

#23 Feb 3, 2009
Have we forgotten Bill Richardson's part in all of this? His Pit Rules? His buy out by the trucking companies who haul the fluids from the rig location? Could we be suffering only becaupse of the governor's corruption and cronyism? Think about it. And he was appointed by Marxist OBAMA to our Secretary fo Commerce....and the stink of rot was so be he had to pull out. Did ya notice that Tom Dashel pulled out today. It's all planned boys, it all planned. Federal ownership of all business is coming.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cloudcroft Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
No Water!!! 6 hr Barbara Shepherd 1
Say it in six words (Jul '08) 19 hr LovingtonEyes 8,572
Do you approve of David Venable as Mayor? Thu thad sitton 1
Gay sexting Oct 22 Emo_Omen 1
New WEED Social Network for Ganja Smoker :) Oct 15 Ganjafan1000 1
Ernie Lee Miller's art typifies Southwest culture (Jul '10) Oct 12 Gorky 29
Artesia Man Arrested On Federal Weapons Charge ... (Feb '11) Oct 9 recycled 3
Cloudcroft Dating
Find my Match

Cloudcroft Jobs