Little Lewis, Donaldson fires still b...

Little Lewis, Donaldson fires still burning

There are 3 comments on the Alamogordo Daily News story from Jun 30, 2011, titled Little Lewis, Donaldson fires still burning. In it, Alamogordo Daily News reports that:

Forest Service and local fire department crews are continuing Friday to contain the Little Lewis Fire burning on Lincoln National Forest and private lands.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alamogordo Daily News.

Nan

Santa Fe, NM

#1 Jul 1, 2011
The Dona Ana red cross must be assisting since it was a "joke" when the supposed local Alamogordo-otero county red cross assisted at the civic center when people were freezing this past winter due to the gas company cutting off our gas. Some decided to freeze in their own homes instead of going to the civic center where people were told to take their own blankets, etc., with no real provision for such a situation. The red cross had an very old van with a trailer big enough for a motorcycle
sitting out back of the civic center. The lack of providing citizens with what is needed in such a situation is why few took advantage of the civic center. I hope the people from the mountains are doing better than many in Alamogordo and areas around did during the bitter winter without gas emergency since they have the help of the Dona Ana Red Cross and their own community services. Our prayers go out to them.
Raptor Mom

Santa Fe, NM

#2 Jul 1, 2011
I didn't go to the Civic Center because I have a wood stove to help keep us warm. I think this is a very different situation and you should not be mad at the Red Cross for their actions then vs now. A freeze here is much different than a fire.

The Red Cross is NOT a joke! They are there to help. Sorry that you didn't find a Ritz Carlton set up at the civic center.
Rat Killa

United States

#3 Jul 1, 2011
Raptor Mom wrote:
I didn't go to the Civic Center because I have a wood stove to help keep us warm. I think this is a very different situation and you should not be mad at the Red Cross for their actions then vs now. A freeze here is much different than a fire.
The Red Cross is NOT a joke! They are there to help. Sorry that you didn't find a Ritz Carlton set up at the civic center.
Raptor Mom, I think one of the big differences between the freeze emergency and the wildfires was that during the freeze everyone for the most part was affected so resources were thin and we were all trying to keep warm and worrying about our own situations. With the fires, it is more localized, and many more of us are not affected so we are able and willing to give support to our neighbors in need. That's just my take on it. But I do agree with your comment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cloudcroft Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) Mar 22 OMG 8,890
News Immigration courts: record number of cases, man... Mar 17 tomin cali 7
Gay sexting (Oct '14) Mar 10 Mtsausage 6
Worker with chomo Mar 3 Investigator 1
News 15 arrested during investigation of police reve... Feb 24 luch 22 1
News Several officers targeted in revenge plot Feb '17 alberto 8
Need help with place to stay till wendsday in c... Jan '17 Helpme 1

Cloudcroft Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance