Little Lewis, Donaldson fires still burning

Full story: Alamogordo Daily News

Forest Service and local fire department crews are continuing Friday to contain the Little Lewis Fire burning on Lincoln National Forest and private lands.
Comments
1 - 3 of 3 Comments Last updated Jul 1, 2011
Nan

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2011

Judged:

The Dona Ana red cross must be assisting since it was a "joke" when the supposed local Alamogordo-otero county red cross assisted at the civic center when people were freezing this past winter due to the gas company cutting off our gas. Some decided to freeze in their own homes instead of going to the civic center where people were told to take their own blankets, etc., with no real provision for such a situation. The red cross had an very old van with a trailer big enough for a motorcycle
sitting out back of the civic center. The lack of providing citizens with what is needed in such a situation is why few took advantage of the civic center. I hope the people from the mountains are doing better than many in Alamogordo and areas around did during the bitter winter without gas emergency since they have the help of the Dona Ana Red Cross and their own community services. Our prayers go out to them.
Raptor Mom

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2011

Judged:

I didn't go to the Civic Center because I have a wood stove to help keep us warm. I think this is a very different situation and you should not be mad at the Red Cross for their actions then vs now. A freeze here is much different than a fire.

The Red Cross is NOT a joke! They are there to help. Sorry that you didn't find a Ritz Carlton set up at the civic center.
Rat Killa

Lawrence, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2011

Raptor Mom wrote:
I didn't go to the Civic Center because I have a wood stove to help keep us warm. I think this is a very different situation and you should not be mad at the Red Cross for their actions then vs now. A freeze here is much different than a fire.
The Red Cross is NOT a joke! They are there to help. Sorry that you didn't find a Ritz Carlton set up at the civic center.
Raptor Mom, I think one of the big differences between the freeze emergency and the wildfires was that during the freeze everyone for the most part was affected so resources were thin and we were all trying to keep warm and worrying about our own situations. With the fires, it is more localized, and many more of us are not affected so we are able and willing to give support to our neighbors in need. That's just my take on it. But I do agree with your comment.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cloudcroft Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ICE resumes deportations from New Mexico center 2 hr Illegal means WHAT 7
Say it in six words (Jul '08) 6 hr danielwright2311 8,487
Deported from nowhere 19 hr Bob 1
March to FLETC in support of undocumented immig... 19 hr michi 199
El Paso border advocate arrested at Rep. Steve ... Wed George 73
Be careful who you text! Aug 24 shelly 2
Announcements: Aug. 17 Aug 18 Parnt 1
•••
•••
•••