Clive Considers Adding More Red Light...

Clive Considers Adding More Red Light Cameras

There are 11 comments on the WHOtv story from Aug 19, 2010, titled Clive Considers Adding More Red Light Cameras. In it, WHOtv reports that:

The city of Clive will soon install a seventh red light camera but more could be on the way.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHOtv.

montteqq in johnston

Des Moines, IA

#1 Aug 19, 2010
one more reason not to drive clive
O-Hawkeye

Des Moines, IA

#2 Aug 19, 2010
Another Windsor Heights - Maybe it is time to Boycott Clive as well. I haven't been to or through Windsor Heights for YEARS and Won't go there any time soon. Another BIG Brother at work!!!
jlh

San Francisco, CA

#3 Aug 19, 2010
If it saves a life (which it could) why bitch about it? Most of us have nothing to worry about anyway. I see idiots run red lights from half a block back, and they deserve to be nailed. Good for Clive!
bocefus

San Francisco, CA

#4 Aug 19, 2010
California is actually removing these as fast as other places are putting them up because they found they cause more accidents than they prevent because people either slam on their brakes for fear of a ticket or they speed through the intersection as fast as they can so they don't get caught in the middle when it's red.

This is lazy law enforcement at its finest. It isn't about saving lives. It's about generating revenue.
Cy Guy

Des Moines, IA

#5 Aug 19, 2010
Bocefus hit the nail on the head. This has very little to do with safety and a whole lot to do with generating revenue. I hope these get overturned by the courts on the grounds of lack of due process. The camera has no idea who is driving the car and thus committing the infraction.
I used to live in Clive (17 yrs)and was proud of the way the city was managed by a very competent group of official. Those days are long gone!
whats the problem

United States

#6 Aug 19, 2010
I say good for DSM on getting these set up. I was just hit on a busy intersection in Newton from an old guy that ran the red light. 15-20 cars stopped in the other direction did not stop or give aid or witness. In this case the camera would have come in handy instead of the no fault bs by the ins companies. If a person is doing everything correct in their driving, than they have nothing to fear from these cameras. Many people of all ages try to "beat" the lights, or run them when not paying attention. If these will save lives and keep cars from being totalled, ins rates going up, etc, than I say bring them on. Too many of us are in such a hurry anymore, that we don't want the big brothers watching. people knowing these are there, should not fear them. I know they are there and I don't think a thing about them as I am going the speed limit, and stop at the lights.
whats the problem

United States

#7 Aug 19, 2010
One more thing - this is not lazy enforcement. The police officers are unfortunately really busy and cannot possibly be everywhere at once to enforce the signals, speed limits, stop signs, etc. This only helps them out.
Leo

Berlin, MD

#8 Aug 19, 2010
O-Hawkeye wrote:
Another Windsor Heights - Maybe it is time to Boycott Clive as well. I haven't been to or through Windsor Heights for YEARS and Won't go there any time soon. Another BIG Brother at work!!!
Clive has nothing to offer that you cannot find a better deal somewhere else. The same is true of Windsor Heights. Both are just large retirement communities. Only old farts live there.
Rascal

Des Moines, IA

#9 Aug 19, 2010
whats the problem wrote:
One more thing - this is not lazy enforcement. The police officers are unfortunately really busy and cannot possibly be everywhere at once to enforce the signals, speed limits, stop signs, etc. This only helps them out.
I agree the police officers cannot be everywhere at once. They are too busy drinking coffee at the Quik-Trips and hitting on the cashiers. Or standing around reading the paper for free. What do you expect. They are too busy to do their jobs.
bocefus

San Francisco, CA

#10 Aug 19, 2010
All the crime happening in Clive is preventing them from be able to patrol the streets! Give me a break. An increased police presence on the street would do so much more than a traffic camera for all aspects of driving safety. Nobody speeds through an intersection at breakneck speed in front of a cop, but it's an effective way of avoiding being caught by a traffic camera. Not just running red lights either, but every other infraction one might commit would be lessened by increased patrols. All they have to do is increase patrols for a period of time so people know the streets of Clive have ample police and breaking the traffic laws would be risky and foolish, but they aren't trying to make the streets safer. They are trying to fatten the city's pockets under the guise of working for safer streets. It's a dirty tactic that doesn't benefit the people. Many cities have tried and abandoned this method over the last 10 years, but alas, we in Iowa are 10 years behind yet again.
Anelda Marcos

Dows, IA

#11 Aug 19, 2010
Stop with the cameras. I can't do anything illegal anymore because someone is always watching me. There goes my fun life. I guess I will spend my time buying shoes online.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clive Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Your 2 Cents' Worth Submit brief anonymous comm... (Jul '09) May '16 Disappointed in 5... 186
News Ankeny to tackle teen drinking (Oct '06) Mar '16 Concerned citizen 8
News After Caucus-Goer Advocates Rubio's 'Electabili... Feb '16 Ritual Habitual 1
News Ten Days in Iowa: Moving Moments, Awkward Encou... Feb '16 Ritual Habitual 4
News Ted Cruz Reserves Venue for One-on-One Debate W... Jan '16 Axelrod Jared Dem... 3
News Ticket's in the mail: Red-light cameras questioned (Mar '09) Jan '16 Angie 59
News Iowa Quality Meats Announces Closure (Jul '07) Apr '15 Created 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Clive Mortgages