Little Ponderosa Zoo
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Animal Lover

Dickson, TN

#1 Aug 11, 2010
Has anyone ever noticed the animals at this zoo?? They look like they are so so negelicted. I didnt see any water in the water bins, the food was squashed in the ground because there was no "food buckets". The weather is in the 90's and triple digits and the outside animals have no shade or even grass to eat. The monkeys have light bulbs heating over them. The ponys feet are never cared for and they keep them going all day everyday. Is this just me concerned or does anyone not notice????
rambler

Wartburg, TN

#2 Aug 11, 2010
Animal Lover wrote:
Has anyone ever noticed the animals at this zoo?? They look like they are so so negelicted. I didnt see any water in the water bins, the food was squashed in the ground because there was no "food buckets". The weather is in the 90's and triple digits and the outside animals have no shade or even grass to eat. The monkeys have light bulbs heating over them. The ponys feet are never cared for and they keep them going all day everyday. Is this just me concerned or does anyone not notice????
no crap i went and and they cryed when i walked by and i pick grass for them they eat and eat all they have in their fence was dirt
rambler

Wartburg, TN

#3 Aug 11, 2010
i cant beleave this is still running this needs to be fix
Crazy Eyes

Dickson, TN

#4 Aug 11, 2010
Yes i also saw that too. I would like to report them. They dont care for the animals only for the money and profit! I know that the tigers are also miserable too they dont have anything to do besides lay in the little fence they are in. Also they keep the wolves in a small round pen no room to run! who do i call to have it investigated?? plz help
Start

Maryville, TN

#5 Aug 12, 2010
I would start with TWRA and see if they can offer some numbers to call. Since they have exotic animals on their grounds they must have a license/permit through the state of TN.
Animal Lover

Dickson, TN

#6 Aug 12, 2010
Thank You!! have you been there before? i just felt so sorry for the animals!!!
Belker

Murfreesboro, TN

#7 Aug 12, 2010
Call the Humane Society and ask them to investigate. There's an Oak Ridge listed number. TWRA doesn't deal with exotics, just wildlife that is native. If that doesn't work, get in touch with Don Dare at Channel 6 and REALLY stir things up!
Fix things

Murfreesboro, TN

#8 Aug 13, 2010
Belker wrote:
Call the Humane Society and ask them to investigate. There's an Oak Ridge listed number. TWRA doesn't deal with exotics, just wildlife that is native. If that doesn't work, get in touch with Don Dare at Channel 6 and REALLY stir things up!
That would totally get things done. Iv never been there but sounds to me things need to be done about how the animals are took care of. So calling channel 6 sounds good.
Problem Solver

Knoxville, TN

#9 Aug 16, 2010
Call the US Department of Agriculture. They are the ones who inspect him. I would go straight to the main source if I were you.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#10 Aug 20, 2010
who runs the place now
Another Animal Lover

Antioch, TN

#11 Aug 22, 2010
Ive not been to this zoo. Started to go but after reading all the comments I think I will pass. Call the Humane Society about this. They will do something about it. I also would call channel 10 news. Im sure they would be interested.
Another Animal Lover

Antioch, TN

#12 Aug 22, 2010
I got on the phone and called the zoo. The lady that answered the phone gave me the name of the owner and his e-mail address. So here it is for everyone to see and know. Owner is James Cox.E-mail address or website is www.james cox. I hope this will help everyone that is interested in helping those poor animals.
bigcity

Nashville, TN

#13 Aug 23, 2010
that email address is not correct.. However, here is the zoo's website: http://littleponderosazoo.com
By the way, they also have this on the website: Little Ponderosa Zoo has been approved by the United States Department of Agriculture for providing a safe and secure home for abandoned, abused and neglected exotic and domestic animals.
Nexster

Murfreesboro, TN

#15 Aug 30, 2010
Oh my God! So the government approved it? That explains everything! HELP!!!!!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#18 Sep 2, 2010
here is something else on their site.

Little Ponderosa Zoo has been granted a Class 1 Permit with the TWRA (TN Wildlife Association) There are only approx. 8 of these facilities in TN! We also work closely with the Anderson County Animal Control, Clinton City Animal Control and The Oak Ridge Animal Shelter.
I have been there and the place is awful. The poor animals are so skinny.
i agree

Knoxville, TN

#19 Sep 2, 2010
Hey i totally agree with you on this place. i know someone who worked there for a while and they said that when they would try to feed the animals more food they would get in trouble. they also told me that James is a pervert he was fooling around with two girls that worked there then also hit on her and she quit. i honestly think that this place needs to be shut down. they don't care for the animals like they need. Most of the animals there do need a bigger living place. really those tigers are very confined in those little pins. So all in all call Don Dare and also contact the state. This place needs to be shut down for good and those animals need to be given a good home.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#20 Sep 4, 2010
Yes I agree James is a jerk. He use to work at a funeral home and he would hit on the young girls of the clients. His wife was told and she just didnt believe it. That business needs to be shut down for good.
Eaton Vadge

Kansas City, MO

#21 Sep 5, 2010
I found goat droppings inside James' boots one time.
LPZvol

Fort Campbell, TN

#22 Oct 12, 2010
Everyone here that is posting about the animals at Little Ponderosa Zoo, you all are WRONG. I volunteered there and I was AMAZED at how WELL the animals are taken care of! The employees work hard to keep the animals well fed and taken care of. The water troughs are always full and cleaned out everyday in the summer per USDA regulations.
ANYONE that has EVER worked behind the scenes knows how MUCH food is fed out, it literally takes a small army to disperse the diets. Fresh forage is fed twice daily, and fresh produce is what you saw on the ground, because per USDA requirements, produce and the staple diets cannot share the same container.
Anyone who KNOWS about animals knows that food on the ground promotes foraging-like behavior, which is ENRICHMENT<--(go ahead, look it up)
The monkeys only have heat lamps on when it is cold out, and the wolves are TEMPORARILY in the round cage as far as I understood. The tigers I know FOR A FACT are fed like kings, and are closely watched after and are on a weekly enrichment schedule. For all of you "animal lovers" out there, look up what enrichment is. the cage is TWICE the size TWRA requires for big cats.
Those animals- EVERY single one of them- are fat and happy and you if don't believe me then go take a look yourself.
This zoo is incredably family friendly and the owner(s) is/are USDA certified and licsensed with all the proper agencies. As a former volunteer I have to disagree with ALL of you, and personally I think SOME of you have personal issues that go beyond inspecting local zoos.(as if you are employed by the USDA itself)
hay

Nashville, TN

#23 Oct 14, 2010
LPZvol wrote:
Everyone here that is posting about the animals at Little Ponderosa Zoo, you all are WRONG. I volunteered there and I was AMAZED at how WELL the animals are taken care of! The employees work hard to keep the animals well fed and taken care of. The water troughs are always full and cleaned out everyday in the summer per USDA regulations.
ANYONE that has EVER worked behind the scenes knows how MUCH food is fed out, it literally takes a small army to disperse the diets. Fresh forage is fed twice daily, and fresh produce is what you saw on the ground, because per USDA requirements, produce and the staple diets cannot share the same container.
Anyone who KNOWS about animals knows that food on the ground promotes foraging-like behavior, which is ENRICHMENT<--(go ahead, look it up)
The monkeys only have heat lamps on when it is cold out, and the wolves are TEMPORARILY in the round cage as far as I understood. The tigers I know FOR A FACT are fed like kings, and are closely watched after and are on a weekly enrichment schedule. For all of you "animal lovers" out there, look up what enrichment is. the cage is TWICE the size TWRA requires for big cats.
Those animals- EVERY single one of them- are fat and happy and you if don't believe me then go take a look yourself.
This zoo is incredably family friendly and the owner(s) is/are USDA certified and licsensed with all the proper agencies. As a former volunteer I have to disagree with ALL of you, and personally I think SOME of you have personal issues that go beyond inspecting local zoos.(as if you are employed by the USDA itself)
I guess you people think that these animals should just live in the Ritz Carlton. I go there once a month and have never seen anything that upset me. James has recued so many animals that would have been euthanised otherwise. Walmart supplies most of the food for the animals. I've seen the tigers eating T-bones and ribeyes that I would have been pleased to be fed. Each animal does have a different diet and they all get that diet. Yeah, you probaly did see food squashed into the ground. Thats what animals do. This winter when you drive by a cattle farm and you see these beef cattle standing knee deep in shit eating hay, are you going to call the humane society? Go ahead, no one will listen. James spends a fortune in feed and hay for all the different animals. He donates much of his time to schools and churches. It just goes to show no matter how much good you do for something, people just find the bad. And....James flirting with woman doesnt effect these animals at all. He is a single man. I would recommend going to the zoo and seeing for yourself. Its a whole lot cheaper than the knoxville zoo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clinton Football on the Rise 2 hr Watching 376
VOLS looking at McKamey as next head coach 7 hr Cantwait 2
Ashley Coleman 9 hr Rockwood 11
All those points scored 12 hr Dan 5
Red light racism at Charles Sevier and Main (Nov '16) 12 hr Road Department Dan 57
The Helton Twins Tue Scott 1
Dragon football Tue MyDickInMaverickF... 18

Clinton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Clinton Mortgages