Silt builds up, threatening local canalboat rides

Full story: Akron Beacon Journal

CANAL FULTON: The nearly 40-year run on the Ohio and Erie Canal of the replica St.
Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Jan 13, 2013

“LOCAL REPORTER DISCOVERS.....”

Since: Jul 08

What? My birth town?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2008

The maintenance of the boat, both daily operations and repairs in the dry dock are expensive, but worth every penny.

Every time I have been around the boat it has been it has been an experience of fascination for everyone involved.

Anything that involves tourism should be priority one. Keep the boat afloat.
Soulman

Mogadore, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2008

Manpower and shovels cannot cost a half million dollars. How do you think they dug this thing in the first place?
Power to the People

Mansfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2008

That's a fun ride on the St Helena. Would love to ride the canal from Cleveland to the Ohio river one day.
Ryan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2008

Soulman wrote:
Manpower and shovels cannot cost a half million dollars. How do you think they dug this thing in the first place?
Are you volunteering your time and sweat to help dig? The O&E canal took 8 years to build and employed thousands of men during construction.

Workers were initially paid .30 cents a day plus a whiskey ration. The canal still cost millions of dollars to build. In today's dollars, the cost would run into the hundreds of millions of dollars.

Are you prepared to work for .30 cents a day in the heat of the summer to redig this aging canal?

Get a clue, Einstein.
Ryan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2008

Power to the People wrote:
That's a fun ride on the St Helena. Would love to ride the canal from Cleveland to the Ohio river one day.
No can do. It's not a fully connected system anymore.

“LOCAL REPORTER DISCOVERS.....”

Since: Jul 08

What? My birth town?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2008

The Towpath will only go to New Philly and Cleveland. Sadly much of the canal is gone due to home construction, factories and farms.

As far as the thirty cent workers, don't forget Malaria used to kill off most of the Irish and Germans who did work on the canal. No unions I guess.

I used to offer lectures on the canal from construction until its demise in 1913. Pretty interesting reading if you can find the books.

One of the best books is "A Photo Album of Ohio's Canal Era," by Jack Gieck. He also made a good video which I have not seen on the market since he introduced it about 8 years ago. I'm sure it is still available.
Paul Kersey Jr

Massillon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2008

Soulman wrote:
I kind of agree with this assesment. I find it hard to believe it would cost half a million dollars to dredge out high spots over a mile and a quarter. I dont think the cost of a trac hoe and a few dump trucks would cost that much to dredge out some high spots.
mad

Uniontown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2008

Judged:

I am surprised people are worrying about tourism and the stupid boat when our schools are in such financial difficulties. I think Canal Fulton should worry about taking care of their schools or tourism will be the least of their concerns. No one wants to move into a town with bad schools or no schools at all.
concerned citizen

South Vienna, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2008

shelly the journalist wrote:
The maintenance of the boat, both daily operations and repairs in the dry dock are expensive, but worth every penny.
Every time I have been around the boat it has been it has been an experience of fascination for everyone involved.
Anything that involves tourism should be priority one. Keep the boat afloat.
tourism? people come to OHio for this??????
rekd

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

concerned citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
tourism? people come to OHio for this??????
I think groups(seniors, scouts etc) may come to canal fulton to ride the boat. I do not htink people come from out of state to do it.
May Fong

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

Soulman wrote:
It only cost 7 million to do the whole thing in the first place.... Its price gouging...
May Fong

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

Start paying In whiskey bonuses again.... That's the way to get people working... It worked in the old days.

That's how they got it built in the first place..
Them old guys knew what they were doing. Whatever it takes to motivate...

Take some of them hookers from lisa's. They need jobs now too. Toss their services into the pot. And I bet they could get it done in no time at half the estimated cost.
MAN WHO KNOWS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

WHO GIVES A RATS ASS.CANAL FULTON SUCKS.NEED TO SPEND MONEY ON MORE IMPORTANT THINGS,DUMBASSES.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Clinton Discussions

Search the Clinton Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 18 min Canton 29,110
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) 2 hr not 2,214
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 13 hr They cannot kill a Spook 231
Canal Fulton Music Emporium (Oct '12) Jul 19 Musikologist 11
centerville Jun 28 neegarsruineverything 1
OH Who do you support for Secretary of State in Oh... (Oct '10) Jun 27 Bobby Nye 178
Daughter of slain couple jailed in drug case, s... Jun 25 Norm 7
•••
•••
•••
Clinton Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Clinton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••