Comments
1 - 20 of 92 Comments Last updated Feb 26, 2013
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Hockey Man

Southbridge, MA

#1 Feb 24, 2013
So can Utica handle a AHL hockey? http://961wodz.com/ahl-hockey-is-returning-to...
Hockey Man

Southbridge, MA

#2 Feb 24, 2013
Hockey team. It's pretty cool

Since: Feb 13

Schenectady, NY

#3 Feb 24, 2013
Warm the chicken man up!!!
Warning

Southbridge, MA

#4 Feb 24, 2013
this is pretty cool. Will probably make the city some nice cash.
Tommy

Southbridge, MA

#5 Feb 24, 2013
Cool
slapanut

Utica, NY

#6 Feb 24, 2013
Won't even last 5 years...

Schenectady, NY

#7 Feb 24, 2013
slapanut wrote:
Won't even last 5 years...
Way to be positive. Wow.
hockey fan

Utica, NY

#8 Feb 24, 2013
I will be getting 2 season tickets if this turns into reality.

Since: Jul 12

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Feb 24, 2013
Nice
Utica Flames

Camillus, NY

#10 Feb 24, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
Way to be positive. Wow.
I wish them luck, if they come, though this franchise has been the worst for attendance in the AHL. They have failed at their current location in Abbotsford, B.C. and in Omaha, Nebraska and the Quad Cities in Illinois over the last eight years.

Since: Jul 12

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Feb 24, 2013
Utica Flames wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish them luck, if they come, though this franchise has been the worst for attendance in the AHL. They have failed at their current location in Abbotsford, B.C. and in Omaha, Nebraska and the Quad Cities in Illinois over the last eight years.
Then I guess it's up to us to support it and go to the games

Schenectady, NY

#12 Feb 24, 2013
Utica Flames wrote:
<quoted text>
Past failures do not predict future success. It's up to the utica community to make this work. It's simple. We go to the games, the team is successful. This team will be like the utica devils. It's not a team built to win like the larger market AHL teams. It's designed to be a feeder club for the parent team. It's quality sports entertainment. Come playoff time the best players will be plucked from the team. I think that's something the utica market had trouble understanding when the devils were there in the past. The flames will not care about winning in utica. It's about player development plain and simple.
Fred

Syracuse, NY

#13 Feb 24, 2013
This is actually the original Utica Devils franchise. Calgary bought the Utica franchise and moved it 4 times. If true, it will have come full circle.

The problem I have with this story is that Calgary gets $5.7M guaranteed from Abbotsford annually and is in year 4 of a 10 year deal. Why would they give up a sweetheart deal like that to move to Utica? Utica isn't giving them that kind of $.

Schenectady, NY

#14 Feb 24, 2013
Fred wrote:
This is actually the original Utica Devils franchise. Calgary bought the Utica franchise and moved it 4 times. If true, it will have come full circle.
The problem I have with this story is that Calgary gets $5.7M guaranteed from Abbotsford annually and is in year 4 of a 10 year deal. Why would they give up a sweetheart deal like that to move to Utica? Utica isn't giving them that kind of $.
Calgary is not losing any money in abbotsford, that's a known as any losses are made up for by that city. But they aren't making any money either. Moving the team lessens travel costs, allows for profit, and basically produces a fresher more cohesive team on the ice. If you look at the map where that team is located and their schedule, it's pretty brutal. It's like the Seattle mariners playing in the al central. That team is all over the North America via flights.

Schenectady, NY

#15 Feb 24, 2013
Fred wrote:
http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/192922041.htm...

Public wheels are in motion. Welcome to Utica!

Schenectady, NY

#16 Feb 24, 2013
Stiddie

Rome, NY

#17 Feb 24, 2013
I wish they change the name back to the devils
fan

Utica, NY

#18 Feb 25, 2013
Rob Esche was quoted that this attempt has been ongoing for 20 years. Why would anyone jump to the conclusion that they are any closer today than they have been in the past? These people have not even contacted AHL board of governors yet.
Calgary has 6 years remaining on their current contractual agreement, and a horrible reputation and history with their AHL operation.
This group is still searching for public financing for their 'dream' of returning AHL hockey to Utica. Where do you suppose that kind of money will turn up in the Mohawk Valley?
Seems like a lot of hoopla over nothing to this point. Let's see if some money surfaces for this project; until that happens, it is still just a rumor.
Can anyone refute any of my statements here?
Idontcare

Utica, NY

#19 Feb 25, 2013
Im going tomorrow and buy my tickets at the aud.
Utica Flames

Cortland, NY

#20 Feb 25, 2013
Utica Flames wrote:
<quoted text>
Abbostford's attendance is the 5th worse in the league and combined with the high travel costs they have to pay it was doomed from the start!(How did they not see this comming?)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Comptroller in New York ... (Oct '10) 53 min Figo01 441
Was anybody actually at Fuel's men's room when ... 1 hr Ex Utican 58
New Hartford schools sued over 'interrogation' ... 1 hr Ummm True 5
HOW come /|/IGGERS DESTROY THIER FREE GHETTO AN... 1 hr BRILHEAD 3
Buildings in Utica are unevenly built 1 hr Brutus 1
doobie brothers 1 hr MUSIC LOVER 1
WHY are COPS NOTHING BUT CRIMINALS THAT DRAIN A... 1 hr Billy Gorilly 3
•••
•••
Clinton Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••