Fast-food workers in NYC stage strike...

Fast-food workers in NYC stage strikes, rallies

There are 570 comments on the The Republic story from Jul 29, 2013, titled Fast-food workers in NYC stage strikes, rallies. In it, The Republic reports that:

Workers at McDonald's, Burger King and Wendy's restaurants across New York walked out Monday in a one-day strike to demand better pay and the right to unionize, calling for minimum wage to more than double from $7.25 to $15 an hour and the end to what activists called "abusive labor practices."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Republic.

Since: Jul 10

Long Beach, NY

#255 Aug 2, 2013
Joe, almost everyone owns stocks and shares, not just the well-heeled. Where do you think many of the pensions that are paid to your beloved union members are kept? In a union mattress? If you don't own stocks outright, you probably do indirectly, and you'd be rightly upset if the value of something you owned was diminished by irresponsible arbitrary and capricious behavior. It also speaks volumes that you think investments are made only by the "1%"...you're probably not all that good with money, or you'd have some bucks to put into some stock too, or at least some mutual funds.

Joe, the workers do fulfill (at the moment) some essential functions at the restaurants, no doubt...but the CEO and the shareholders built the restaurant the workers work in. If not for them, the workers wouldn't have any place to work.

If the restaurant doesn't make a single sale on a given day, the workers still get paid. The CEO and the shareholders don't. The workers take not a single financial risk, yet you want them to be rewarded as if they do. That isn't how it works, nor should it.
spike

Akron, OH

#257 Aug 2, 2013
The Real Jimmy Crack Corn wrote:
Joe, almost everyone owns stocks and shares, not just the well-heeled. Where do you think many of the pensions that are paid to your beloved union members are kept? In a union mattress? If you don't own stocks outright, you probably do indirectly, and you'd be rightly upset if the value of something you owned was diminished by irresponsible arbitrary and capricious behavior. It also speaks volumes that you think investments are made only by the "1%"...you're probably not all that good with money, or you'd have some bucks to put into some stock too, or at least some mutual funds.
Joe, the workers do fulfill (at the moment) some essential functions at the restaurants, no doubt...but the CEO and the shareholders built the restaurant the workers work in. If not for them, the workers wouldn't have any place to work.
If the restaurant doesn't make a single sale on a given day, the workers still get paid. The CEO and the shareholders don't. The workers take not a single financial risk, yet you want them to be rewarded as if they do. That isn't how it works, nor should it.
Losers like Joe are experts at telling everyone else what they should do with their money. When guys like Joe need a service they will always go with a non-union expert who charges less for a service.
spike

Akron, OH

#258 Aug 2, 2013
Triumphant wrote:
<quoted text>
That's who is doing it now genius.
democrats taking care of future democrats,,,,,see they really do care.hahahahahahahaha

Since: Jul 10

Long Beach, NY

#260 Aug 2, 2013
Lord Stannis wrote:
People who are TRULY successful (e.g. Bill Gates, Warren Buffet) understand their obligation to their fellow citizens to use their fortunes wisely and fairly, and they don't try to screw those who are struggling to survive. People who are PRETENDING to be successful are stingy, angry, petty, demeaning, and self-obsessed.
Do you have anything in the way of logic to refute those who oppose your point of view or do you think that petty ad hominem attacks will somehow convince people you're right?
CZars_R_Us

Orlando, FL

#261 Aug 2, 2013
Lord Stannis wrote:
People who are TRULY successful (e.g. Bill Gates, Warren Buffet) understand their obligation to their fellow citizens to use their fortunes wisely and fairly, and they don't try to screw those who are struggling to survive. People who are PRETENDING to be successful are stingy, angry, petty, demeaning, and self-obsessed.
Translation!!

Gimme yo money!!
Don Joe

Saint Paul, MN

#262 Aug 2, 2013
The Real Jimmy Crack Corn wrote:
Joe, almost everyone owns stocks and shares, not just the well-heeled. Where do you think many of the pensions that are paid to your beloved union members are kept? In a union mattress? If you don't own stocks outright, you probably do indirectly, and you'd be rightly upset if the value of something you owned was diminished by irresponsible arbitrary and capricious behavior. It also speaks volumes that you think investments are made only by the "1%"...you're probably not all that good with money, or you'd have some bucks to put into some stock too, or at least some mutual funds.
Joe, the workers do fulfill (at the moment) some essential functions at the restaurants, no doubt...but the CEO and the shareholders built the restaurant the workers work in. If not for them, the workers wouldn't have any place to work.
If the restaurant doesn't make a single sale on a given day, the workers still get paid. The CEO and the shareholders don't. The workers take not a single financial risk, yet you want them to be rewarded as if they do. That isn't how it works, nor should it.
Wow, you really are way out there. The GOP is fond of saying 47% don't pay taxes, which of course is a lie, but if you consider those who don't pay income tax, then you might want to reconsider your claim that almost everyone owns stocks and shares. What kind of moron would own stocks unless they had insider information. The problem is without it, your money is soon taken from you, but with it, you can be arrested. You lose either way.

People saving and investing in stocks? I did that for a while, I had a 401K program, where I put some money in and my corporation put some money in. I got about 20 cents on the dollar. What a great deal. I invested in a second company, thinking the first was just bad luck. This time was not so good, I only got 8 cents on the dollar. I had inside information. I worked at the company. I paid attention to winning and losing government contracts. When a big one was lost, the stock dropped 2 days before the public announcement, and before the employees heard about it. It was sold on the basis of insider information, selling before the information was public.

If you had taken any economics courses you would be aware of the necessity of customers for a restaurant. An increase in wages for the poor and middle class, would increase the number of customers you have and you make more money, even if you have to pay your employees more. If you cut your employees wages and they suffer because of the turmoil you put them in, it costs you a lot in lost profits. When you have no customers because wages have fallen so far no one can go to a restaurant, except for the 1% and they won't go to your restaurant anyway, you have to close, and sell the building and live off that money till it dries up.

You might argue that the workers would not have a job without the owner of the restaurant, and that is correct. But it is also correct that without the workers, the owner would never have any customers. Both are required, and both should get some benefit. Claiming that the workers should not be paid enough to obtain food and shelter, and pay taxes, is to beg for government handouts. If that is the most you can pay, then your business should be shut down, and the people given opportunities for real jobs.

What I am after is opportunity for all. Why should only the rich have the opportunity to open a restaurant? Why should those who can put up a few million in cash be given the opportunity? Why not allow opportunity for all? If people had opportunity, almost all welfare would not be needed.

Since: Jul 10

Long Beach, NY

#263 Aug 2, 2013
I knew Topix was for idiots and crazies, but you're surpassing the spell-casting tards in the former and Munyan in the latter.

The workers get a benefit. It is called a paycheck. They know and knew what it was going to be going in. If they don't like it, they can take their awesome skills and get their "benefit" elsewhere. If no one wants to give them their "chance", they can see about getting their own opportunity I suppose, but if they risk nothing of their own, then who pays when they fail?

Your post is stupid because it hinges on the idea that opportunities should just somehow be manufactured and handed out and that is simply impossible. It isn't worthy of reply beyond that because there is no way you took any time to formulate that thought past your last bong rip.

Happy slumming, stupid!
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you really are way out there. The GOP is fond of saying 47% don't pay taxes, which of course is a lie, but if you consider those who don't pay income tax, then you might want to reconsider your claim that almost everyone owns stocks and shares. What kind of moron would own stocks unless they had insider information. The problem is without it, your money is soon taken from you, but with it, you can be arrested. You lose either way.
People saving and investing in stocks? I did that for a while, I had a 401K program, where I put some money in and my corporation put some money in. I got about 20 cents on the dollar. What a great deal. I invested in a second company, thinking the first was just bad luck. This time was not so good, I only got 8 cents on the dollar. I had inside information. I worked at the company. I paid attention to winning and losing government contracts. When a big one was lost, the stock dropped 2 days before the public announcement, and before the employees heard about it. It was sold on the basis of insider information, selling before the information was public.
If you had taken any economics courses you would be aware of the necessity of customers for a restaurant. An increase in wages for the poor and middle class, would increase the number of customers you have and you make more money, even if you have to pay your employees more. If you cut your employees wages and they suffer because of the turmoil you put them in, it costs you a lot in lost profits. When you have no customers because wages have fallen so far no one can go to a restaurant, except for the 1% and they won't go to your restaurant anyway, you have to close, and sell the building and live off that money till it dries up.
You might argue that the workers would not have a job without the owner of the restaurant, and that is correct. But it is also correct that without the workers, the owner would never have any customers. Both are required, and both should get some benefit. Claiming that the workers should not be paid enough to obtain food and shelter, and pay taxes, is to beg for government handouts. If that is the most you can pay, then your business should be shut down, and the people given opportunities for real jobs.
What I am after is opportunity for all. Why should only the rich have the opportunity to open a restaurant? Why should those who can put up a few million in cash be given the opportunity? Why not allow opportunity for all? If people had opportunity, almost all welfare would not be needed.
American Lady

Danville, KY

#264 Aug 2, 2013
Fast-food workers in NYC strike for higher wages, better benefits, right to unionize

NEW YORK — Workers at McDonald's, Burger King and Wendy's restaurants across New York walked out Monday in a one-day strike to demand better pay and the right to unionize,

calling for minimum wage to more than double
from $7.25 to $15 an hour

and the end to what activists called "abusive labor practices."

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/d7e895f...

another 'bunch' of CLUELESS libTARDS!
How do they THINK this is gonna happen ...
WHEN most everyone else can't EVEN "get a job" ...!!!

The *REAL* Jobless STATS
Real Unemployment Rate: 11.3%

PLUS:
Gallup Finds Unemployment Rises For Fourth Week In A Row,---Cautions--- On BLS Data
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-06-07/real...
Eleanor

Vernon Hills, IL

#265 Aug 2, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Talk about spinning from the 1%!!!!
This guy is worried about well-to-do shareholders but doesn't give a damn about low-wage workers struggling to survive.
And once again, I will ask --- who generates the profits for McDonald's? Not the CEO. Not the shareholders? The restaurant workers. The people who cook and serve the meals. The people who offer customer service and fix any problems that may arise. The people who the restaurant clean to meet health laws and ensure customers return. It takes communication, cooking and sanitation skills to run a McDonald's.
If it wasn't for the PEOPLE WHO PAY the price for a burger there would be NO PROFITS.

The workers are paid to stay in line and do their job.

But for the fact that there were customers, NOBODY would make a nickel.

Maybe you should read up on the McDonalds brothers and Ray Kroc who helped make McDonalds supremely successful.
Eleanor

Vernon Hills, IL

#266 Aug 2, 2013
The Real Jimmy Crack Corn wrote:
Joe, almost everyone owns stocks and shares, not just the well-heeled. Where do you think many of the pensions that are paid to your beloved union members are kept? In a union mattress? If you don't own stocks outright, you probably do indirectly, and you'd be rightly upset if the value of something you owned was diminished by irresponsible arbitrary and capricious behavior. It also speaks volumes that you think investments are made only by the "1%"...you're probably not all that good with money, or you'd have some bucks to put into some stock too, or at least some mutual funds.
Joe, the workers do fulfill (at the moment) some essential functions at the restaurants, no doubt...but the CEO and the shareholders built the restaurant the workers work in. If not for them, the workers wouldn't have any place to work.
If the restaurant doesn't make a single sale on a given day, the workers still get paid. The CEO and the shareholders don't. The workers take not a single financial risk, yet you want them to be rewarded as if they do. That isn't how it works, nor should it.
BRAVO!!

Well said.

<applause>
Weatherbrain

Stillwater, OK

#267 Aug 2, 2013
The Real Jimmy Crack Corn wrote:
Joe, almost everyone owns stocks and shares, not just the well-heeled. Where do you think many of the pensions that are paid to your beloved union members are kept? In a union mattress? If you don't own stocks outright, you probably do indirectly, and you'd be rightly upset if the value of something you owned was diminished by irresponsible arbitrary and capricious behavior. It also speaks volumes that you think investments are made only by the "1%"...you're probably not all that good with money, or you'd have some bucks to put into some stock too, or at least some mutual funds.
Joe, the workers do fulfill (at the moment) some essential functions at the restaurants, no doubt...but the CEO and the shareholders built the restaurant the workers work in. If not for them, the workers wouldn't have any place to work.
If the restaurant doesn't make a single sale on a given day, the workers still get paid. The CEO and the shareholders don't. The workers take not a single financial risk, yet you want them to be rewarded as if they do. That isn't how it works, nor should it.
Excellent! Some of the OWS/socialist drones on this site need economics lessons. Did it sink in?
Joe

United States

#268 Aug 2, 2013
Eleanor wrote:
<quoted text>If it wasn't for the PEOPLE WHO PAY the price for a burger there would be NO PROFITS.

The workers are paid to stay in line and do their job.

But for the fact that there were customers, NOBODY would make a nickel.

Maybe you should read up on the McDonalds brothers and Ray Kroc who helped make McDonalds supremely successful.
So Eleanor, how much are you "paid to stay in line" and do your job?
Joe

United States

#269 Aug 2, 2013
Weatherbrain wrote:
<quoted text>Excellent! Some of the OWS/socialist drones on this site need economics lessons. Did it sink in?
Nothing but a rant from the 1%. They're angry that low-income workers are beginning to assert themselves and organize to fight for decent wages and benefits. The great wealth redistribution in the U.S. has flowed from the bottom to the top for too long. Through tax loopholes, tax cuts, spending cuts and substandard wages, the rich have profited off middle-income and low-income workers since the day Reagan took office in 1981.
devildog

Chicago, IL

#270 Aug 2, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>Nothing but a rant from the 1%. They're angry that low-income workers are beginning to assert themselves and organize to fight for decent wages and benefits. The great wealth redistribution in the U.S. has flowed from the bottom to the top for too long. Through tax loopholes, tax cuts, spending cuts and substandard wages, the rich have profited off middle-income and low-income workers since the day Reagan took office in 1981.
A rant from the 1%??? If you think that any of these people are in the 1% and are on topix arguing with you, then you've just proven yourself to be a complete Moron and/or a liberal, which is about the same thing. Either way, Please go away. This is an adult conversation.

“Slightly below above-average”

Since: Jul 10

arguably garrulous

#271 Aug 2, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
So Eleanor, how much are you "paid to stay in line" and do your job?
Not enough to walk out and demand double, and still expect a welcome back.

I'm not Eleanor, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Weatherbrain

Stillwater, OK

#272 Aug 2, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing but a rant from the 1%. They're angry that low-income workers are beginning to assert themselves and organize to fight for decent wages and benefits. The great wealth redistribution in the U.S. has flowed from the bottom to the top for too long. Through tax loopholes, tax cuts, spending cuts and substandard wages, the rich have profited off middle-income and low-income workers since the day Reagan took office in 1981.
Nope. I guess it didn't sink it!
Instead of spewing off phony left-wing slogans, you need to educate yourself by speaking to someone who has operated a private business or, better yet, open your own business! Perhaps your tune will change--or you will go broke.
"The problem with Socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money." -- Margaret Thatcher

“Slightly below above-average”

Since: Jul 10

arguably garrulous

#273 Aug 2, 2013
devildog wrote:
<quoted text>
A rant from the 1%??? If you think that any of these people are in the 1% and are on topix arguing with you, then you've just proven yourself to be a complete Moron and/or a liberal, which is about the same thing. Either way, Please go away. This is an adult conversation.
Lots of stuff is possible.
You won't f'in believe this, but I've got a cobalt blue Gulfstream GIV, full of people and a personal chef, out on the runway, waiting for me to finish up here in this chat. I gotta run. We've got dinner scheduled with a Maui sunset, and you just know how that won't wait. lol
Anyway, sorry for ranting. Thanks for all the profits. See ya!
devildog

Chicago, IL

#277 Aug 2, 2013
HangUpAndDrive wrote:
<quoted text>Lots of stuff is possible.
You won't f'in believe this, but I've got a cobalt blue Gulfstream GIV, full of people and a personal chef, out on the runway, waiting for me to finish up here in this chat. I gotta run. We've got dinner scheduled with a Maui sunset, and you just know how that won't wait. lol
Anyway, sorry for ranting. Thanks for all the profits. See ya!
Lmao! You lucky MF'er!
nac

Merrick, NY

#278 Aug 2, 2013
HangUpAndDrive wrote:
<quoted text>
Lots of stuff is possible.
You won't f'in believe this, but I've got a cobalt blue Gulfstream GIV, full of people and a personal chef, out on the runway, waiting for me to finish up here in this chat. I gotta run. We've got dinner scheduled with a Maui sunset, and you just know how that won't wait. lol
Anyway, sorry for ranting. Thanks for all the profits. See ya!
I always suspected you were a 1%er. Hey, when you get back I've got an investment opportunity for you. Would you like to invest in my suitcase that converts into a bathtub invention? It going to re-invent the way we take baths while traveling!

Like some idiot above said, everyone is entitled to someone else's money, er, I mean an opportunity.
justthetruth

Newtown Square, PA

#279 Aug 2, 2013
Weatherbrain wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. I guess it didn't sink it!
Instead of spewing off phony left-wing slogans, you need to educate yourself by speaking to someone who has operated a private business or, better yet, open your own business! Perhaps your tune will change--or you will go broke.
"The problem with Socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money." -- Margaret Thatcher
If you think this is the way our economy is suppose to function, where millions have no economic opportunity whatsoever, you're dead wrong. What we are witnessing is the fracturing of American Democracy and the rise of an oligarchy. When companies are profitable, all boats are suppose to rise. When means profit is shared by all. For some reason this isn't the case anymore and we need state intervention to fix it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clinton Corners Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Electors need to stop the lunatic Trump 1 hr Build the wall 3
Trump will complete his first 100 days in 68 days! 1 hr Build the wall 1
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Jan '10) 1 hr Antti Raanta 15,657
We VS We (Nov '09) 1 hr 2 Dogs 2,296
Run,Run, Run, The Republicans are Coming! (Jan '11) 2 hr 2 Dogs 2,148
Ode to Bush (Mar '09) 2 hr 2 Dogs 2,065
News Swastikas, hate message at Beastie Boy's park s... 3 hr The Last Warrior ... 27

Clinton Corners Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Clinton Corners Mortgages