Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5

“Stay cool!!!!!”

Since: May 08

New York, NY

#268647 Jan 28, 2013
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1484192-ma...

top 100 in the upcoming draft, roughly 3 rounds worth of picks...some will change and of course teams always pick guys in the top 200 in the top 50...so this board will change big time...some will fall, some will rise...

free agency is in the first week of march, so needs will change pending pick ups of free agents and of course, players cut due to the cap or uselessness.[ which means a lot of jet players!]
Paul Yanks

Phoenix, AZ

#268648 Jan 28, 2013
jimi-yank wrote:
<quoted text>
I think at a fair rate, yes...he did play good defense and called a great game...but to say or even imply the yank season is 3rd place, or worse due to him is wrong..
the lack of a good righty bat, lets talk about that..they had options and trades to do to fill that hole...one of my favorite to get guys and might not cost that much was cuddyer of the rockies...a solid outfielder who could play first...he would be a great fit.
I think the righty bat issue is more important then losing the catcher.
The departure of Martin is not why I'm calling the Yanks a 3rd place team......one of the reasons absolutely......lets face it Yanks are an old team in allot of areas.....needed improvement...ill afford to get only worse...don't really have much already established help from AAA...only hope they have in the minors is still 2-3 years away we hope....Hal made it crystal clear chose to go 1 year offers or forget about it in the FA market this current off season except 39 year old Ichiro whom he gave a 2 year deal to....a mistake I thought.....no trades....no decent pickups at all except Youk oh boy......is Martin worth 2 tears 17M the Pirates offered him? absolutely not.....but it never stopped the Yanks before......and with Martin being the best the Yanks could have behind the plate.....should of been a no brainer.....after all its always been the free spending Yanks......look at the bum ARod....10 years 275M....the richest contract in sports history...and he was nowhere near worth that even at the time....worse mistake Hal and Hank made....but no offers to Martin....cause he wanted 2 years.....couldn't afford Justin Upton mere rather inexpensive contract.....as they stayed away from him and other possible moves.....still a good nucleus as a team mostly on the mound...that needs some help in other areas.....Yanks need big league help not AAA help....not good....not good at all is all I can say....

“Stay cool!!!!!”

New York, NY

#268649 Jan 28, 2013
Paul Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>The departure of Martin is not why I'm calling the Yanks a 3rd place team......one of the reasons absolutely......lets face it Yanks are an old team in allot of areas.....needed improvement...ill afford to get only worse...don't really have much already established help from AAA...only hope they have in the minors is still 2-3 years away we hope....Hal made it crystal clear chose to go 1 year offers or forget about it in the FA market this current off season except 39 year old Ichiro whom he gave a 2 year deal to....a mistake I thought.....no trades....no decent pickups at all except Youk oh boy......is Martin worth 2 tears 17M the Pirates offered him? absolutely not.....but it never stopped the Yanks before......and with Martin being the best the Yanks could have behind the plate.....should of been a no brainer.....after all its always been the free spending Yanks......look at the bum ARod....10 years 275M....the richest contract in sports history...and he was nowhere near worth that even at the time....worse mistake Hal and Hank made....but no offers to Martin....cause he wanted 2 years.....couldn't afford Justin Upton mere rather inexpensive contract.....as they stayed away from him and other possible moves.....still a good nucleus as a team mostly on the mound...that needs some help in other areas.....Yanks need big league help not AAA help....not good....not good at all is all I can say....

my feeling was a good righthanded bat...not catcher...that will hurt them the most. had they gotten one, I think we both feel alot better...

“Stay cool!!!!!”

New York, NY

#268650 Jan 28, 2013
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/28/derek-...

the minor league complex is so close to stein field..i am now gonna go on thursday...got to do something nearby at 8am...hope to be there by 930...

“Anti-Troll is next”

Since: Jan 13

Oyster Bay, NY

#268651 Jan 28, 2013
jimi-yank wrote:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/20 13/01/28/derek-jeter-works-out -on-field-for-first-time-since -breaking-left-ankle/
the minor league complex is so close to stein field..i am now gonna go on thursday...got to do something nearby at 8am...hope to be there by 930...
Me and my buddy will be there at 9.29 with bags of sand to shove down your throat.thanks for the heads up.to funny LMAO at what a dope you are.
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#268652 Jan 28, 2013
jimi-yank wrote:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/20 13/01/28/derek-jeter-works-out -on-field-for-first-time-since -breaking-left-ankle/

Enjoy...

“Stay cool!!!!!”

New York, NY

#268653 Jan 28, 2013
Pete Case 123 wrote:
<quoted text>
Me and my buddy will be there at 9.29 with bags of sand to shove down your throat.thanks for the heads up.to funny LMAO at what a dope you are.

I will post at 10 am. To prove your a coward and liar. You guys will meet no one.

Have you voted yet? Kudos on the honey boo boo momma poll!
the don

Roslyn Heights, NY

#268654 Jan 28, 2013
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
For Donnie and Paul: Fu is not a censor even if he thinks Martin was a bum.
Yankees Will Miss Russell Martin Behind the Plate
1/28/2013 07:21:00 AM Justin Hunter New York Yankees, Russell Martin
The New York Yankees saw a lot of change this offseason. One of the biggest changes is who will be catching games for them in 2013. Russell Martin left via free agency and signed with the Pittsburgh Pirates. Now, the Yankees will have to rely on Austin Romine.
Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York broke down the top reasons why Martin would be missed in New York. Specifically, his toughness will be difficult to replace. Martin is also a very good defensive catcher who has a game plan in mind while calling games.
Last season, Martin played in 135 games for the Yankees last season. He is durable as far as catchers are concerned. He has played in less than 125 games just twice in his career.
Overall, Martin's offense will be missed along with the reasons mentioned above. Martin hit .211/.311/.403 last season. It wasn't much, but he has shown he can have some pop from time to time. In fact, last season Martin hit a career-high 21 home runs. Now, the Yankees go into spring not knowing exactly what they'll get from their catcher. They always knew what to expect from Martin.
Good to see someone else besides Paulie and I that understand how important martin was to the yankees...
Paul Yanks

Phoenix, AZ

#268655 Jan 28, 2013
jimi-yank wrote:
<quoted text>
my feeling was a good righthanded bat...not catcher...that will hurt them the most. had they gotten one, I think we both feel alot better...
I feel the Yanks could use both....a good catcher and a good RH bat.....too bad Hal wouldn't go the 2 year deal with Martin......
the don

Roslyn Heights, NY

#268656 Jan 28, 2013
jimi-yank wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see or agree with missing a 211 hitter. I think they will miss his calling of a game and defense. But for 2 years and the money he wanted? no. Will they miss the 21 homers? how many did he hit in the playoffs? how many hits did he have in the playoffs? how many times with the bases loaded, or 2 on no outs or 1 out he did nothing...
people seem to forget all of the bad, and harp on 21 homers. not at all convinced that romine is close to being ready. I believe he needs this year to stay healthy and mature in triple aaa...if not for being injured last year, he might have been perfect for this year. People may have forgotten he was a supposed sure fire bet to be the starting catcher this year prior to his injury. ranked high in baseball america. way ahead of montero in defense and supposed line drive 270-280 hitter who could hit 12-15 homers...
a bad back ended it. will he recover? will the yanks be forced to pick up some of the 230-240 hitting bums still available?
will cervelli get back to his 270 hitting and driving in clutch runs?
we are going to find out.
Good defense, 21 HR's and 60 rbi's ....Yanks current 3 catchers combined don't egual those numbers..You're dreaming if you think Romine gets numbers like that. "270-280, 12-15 hr's" now who's dreamin...wake up yankees don't develope catchers since Thurman Munson..For the record the difference between a 270 BA and a .211 BA is Six hits..Baseball america lol...By the way Montero is WAY ahead of Romine in Everything...Reminder yanks couldn't move cervelli because nobody wanted him...Little objective posting would go a long way in this forum....

“Stay cool!!!!!”

New York, NY

#268657 Jan 28, 2013
the don wrote:
<quoted text> Good defense, 21 HR's and 60 rbi's ....Yanks current 3 catchers combined don't egual those numbers..You're dreaming if you think Romine gets numbers like that. "270-280, 12-15 hr's" now who's dreamin...wake up yankees don't develope catchers since Thurman Munson..For the record the difference between a 270 BA and a .211 BA is Six hits..Baseball america lol...By the way Montero is WAY ahead of Romine in Everything...Reminder yanks couldn't move cervelli because nobody wanted him...Little objective posting would go a long way in this forum....

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/6390/russe...

here are his stats...and for the record, its an opinion...

but, why not try math...

6 or 7 hits would be 270?

lets try 6 hits...422 at bats and 95 hits...6 more is a 225 average

lets try 7 more hits with the same at bats...which is 96 is a 227 average...

lets try 15 more hits..same at bats..that is 246...

and he had 53 ribbies...not 60

he had 95 strike outs, which is way over 20% of the time

so, over 1/5 of the time, he struck out

one of the complaints in the detroit series was , striking out..another one was runners left on base during the year...which he did frequently..

those are facts, not opinions. and being quite objective.

I stand by my statement. yanks will miss not getting a righty bat way more then missing russell martin...

as for not developing a catcher, you brought up montero. if hes now good, then they developed him

and, every yank fan, me included was happy to see pineda as a yank...lucky they got campos who is rated one of the top pitchers in the organization..

its good for yank fans to disagree...and agree...but we are all yank fans.
Paul Yanks

Phoenix, AZ

#268658 Jan 28, 2013
jimi-yank wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see or agree with missing a 211 hitter. I think they will miss his calling of a game and defense. But for 2 years and the money he wanted? no. Will they miss the 21 homers? how many did he hit in the playoffs? how many hits did he have in the playoffs? how many times with the bases loaded, or 2 on no outs or 1 out he did nothing...
people seem to forget all of the bad, and harp on 21 homers. not at all convinced that romine is close to being ready. I believe he needs this year to stay healthy and mature in triple aaa...if not for being injured last year, he might have been perfect for this year. People may have forgotten he was a supposed sure fire bet to be the starting catcher this year prior to his injury. ranked high in baseball america. way ahead of montero in defense and supposed line drive 270-280 hitter who could hit 12-15 homers...
a bad back ended it. will he recover? will the yanks be forced to pick up some of the 230-240 hitting bums still available?
will cervelli get back to his 270 hitting and driving in clutch runs?
we are going to find out.
Yeah Martin did bat .211 last year it was a dismal year for him BA wise and most of that was due to a really bad start but he also had 21 HR 53 RBI weren't too bad considering......but he's a career .260 hitter with 16 HR 73 RBI....I don't think Cervelli/Stewart/Romine combine to equal that average do you?

“Stay cool!!!!!”

New York, NY

#268659 Jan 28, 2013
Paul Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah Martin did bat .211 last year it was a dismal year for him BA wise and most of that was due to a really bad start but he also had 21 HR 53 RBI weren't too bad considering......but he's a career .260 hitter with 16 HR 73 RBI....I don't think Cervelli/Stewart/Romine combine to equal that average do you?

not at all. never claimed they would. but for someone to claim 6 or 7 hits on his 211 average popped him up to 270 is dead wrong

and he struck out 95 times, you would agree that is horrible.

also, how runners did he leave on base?

i would agree big time his defense and throwing out runner is big

but, wouldn't you agree if the got cuddyer or upton or any decent rightfielder who bats right, the catcher position is no longer some issue..

most teams have 2-4 holes in them...had the yanks gotten a cuddyer or an upton, they would have only 1...yanks do not need an all star at every position to win...

its safe to say also, something nysom has brought up,oppenheimer the guy in charge of the drafting of kids sucks...he has been terrible..

long, terrible...

cash and joe on the hot seat this year...

those to me are also key things...

how about this..chapmen of the reds, from cuba..and cespedes[oakland]...both could have been bought with just money...imagine those 2 on the yanks...they chose with the great scouting staff to not go after those 2

that guy should be fired on the spot.
the don

Roslyn Heights, NY

#268660 Jan 28, 2013
jimi-yank wrote:
<quoted text>
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/6390/russe...
here are his stats...and for the record, its an opinion...
but, why not try math...
6 or 7 hits would be 270?
lets try 6 hits...422 at bats and 95 hits...6 more is a 225 average
lets try 7 more hits with the same at bats...which is 96 is a 227 average...
lets try 15 more hits..same at bats..that is 246...
and he had 53 ribbies...not 60
he had 95 strike outs, which is way over 20% of the time
so, over 1/5 of the time, he struck out
one of the complaints in the detroit series was , striking out..another one was runners left on base during the year...which he did frequently..
those are facts, not opinions. and being quite objective.
I stand by my statement. yanks will miss not getting a righty bat way more then missing russell martin...
as for not developing a catcher, you brought up montero. if hes now good, then they developed him
and, every yank fan, me included was happy to see pineda as a yank...lucky they got campos who is rated one of the top pitchers in the organization..
its good for yank fans to disagree...and agree...but we are all yank fans.
Math sure why not 100 AB 27 hits .270 BA, Now 100 AB 21 hits 210....Simple Math...Let you look up montero stats who's a major leagurer currently unlike Romine who's a bum and the best you can say about him is Maybe he makes the ML in 2014 or 2015 and who knows Maybe he don't so cutting threw all the BS maybe Montero is good have to let seattle be the judge of that...Detroit Series were you watching it on TV because No yankee hit worth a crap but you going to single out Martin to try and prove a point lol..Something wrong with 53 rbi's how many catchers have that many and while your at it how many have 21 Hr's a number in my post you seemed to have omitted . Campo to me is just another name who hasn't done anything yet so I'll try and contain my joy until he at least make the big club, when do you think that might be? "I stand by my Statement" good for you...and just how do you think you will prove you were right or wrong??

“Stay cool!!!!!”

New York, NY

#268661 Jan 28, 2013
Paul Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah Martin did bat .211 last year it was a dismal year for him BA wise and most of that was due to a really bad start but he also had 21 HR 53 RBI weren't too bad considering......but he's a career .260 hitter with 16 HR 73 RBI....I don't think Cervelli/Stewart/Romine combine to equal that average do you?

don't go by average...2009 tex was unreal...then look at what happened..a trend down

but his average is very good...do we go on the down trend or the average?
the don

Roslyn Heights, NY

#268662 Jan 28, 2013
Paul Yanks wrote:
good factual objective post paulie. Cervelli/Stewart and Romine are third rate catchers that no one wants..I can't believe any objective fan would want any combo or all three playing catcher for the yanks ..lol
the don

Roslyn Heights, NY

#268663 Jan 28, 2013
jimi-yank wrote:
<quoted text>
don't go by average...2009 tex was unreal...then look at what happened..a trend down
but his average is very good...do we go on the down trend or the average?
you can't be serious ...whats you're point?

“Stay cool!!!!!”

New York, NY

#268664 Jan 28, 2013
the don wrote:
<quoted text> Math sure why not 100 AB 27 hits .270 BA, Now 100 AB 21 hits 210....Simple Math...Let you look up montero stats who's a major leagurer currently unlike Romine who's a bum and the best you can say about him is Maybe he makes the ML in 2014 or 2015 and who knows Maybe he don't so cutting threw all the BS maybe Montero is good have to let seattle be the judge of that...Detroit Series were you watching it on TV because No yankee hit worth a crap but you going to single out Martin to try and prove a point lol..Something wrong with 53 rbi's how many catchers have that many and while your at it how many have 21 Hr's a number in my post you seemed to have omitted . Campo to me is just another name who hasn't done anything yet so I'll try and contain my joy until he at least make the big club, when do you think that might be? "I stand by my Statement" good for you...and just how do you think you will prove you were right or wrong??

its not 100 at bats don, its 422...you mean 6 or 7 every 100...

what is to prove don? the season has not started...so, for kicks, you are 100% right..season over. yanks do not have martin. they have 3 guys who are not good..first you claimed 88-90 wins, which i agree on...do you think toronto gains 22 wins? reyes stays healthy all year? the rays lost 2 starting pitchers...baltimore set a record for one run wins, they will duplicate it?

my point over and over is if they got a right handed bat..a good one to play the outfield like a cuddyer or upton, there are no issues

yanks have 2 holes..that would have taken care of 1...

and how many teams have holes in a lineup? most have between 2-4...that is my point..

do you really feel only if martin is the issue the yanks are in third place? or the combo of no rightfielder who is a righty and can hit?

its an opinion....i am not forcing my opinion on you. you believe the yanks are a third place team. Its january. no games played...

I believe they will contend. time will tell which of us is right or wrong...

“Stay cool!!!!!”

New York, NY

#268665 Jan 28, 2013
the don wrote:
<quoted text> you can't be serious ...whats you're point?

paul pointed out average. that is what i did...

whats your point?
Paul Yanks

Phoenix, AZ

#268666 Jan 28, 2013
the don wrote:
<quoted text> good factual objective post paulie. Cervelli/Stewart and Romine are third rate catchers that no one wants..I can't believe any objective fan would want any combo or all three playing catcher for the yanks ..lol
I think the Yanks problems Donnie go well beyond Martin.....I mean if CC or Mo or Jeter get injured for any definite long period of time the Yanks are in serious trouble.....that's what kills me about Hal being a penny pincher theses days.....no depth....no bench...no RH-OF....I mean we don't even know if Nova will bounce back from a bad year nor Hughes inconsistencies...whether or not Phelps can do what he did last year...CC had bone chips removed from his elbow.....lets hope that's all the problem he had with that elbow.....allot of issues going into 2013 in the Bronx right now......hopefully things pan out somehow.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clinton Corners Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
HILLARY will be THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Dec '14) 2 min SirLiesAlot 11,951
Carlos Danger says fire Kaepernick 18 min Carlos Dangerous 1
Time to go? (Jun '15) 1 hr Patriot 12,545
Age Gap Relationship 2 hr Isabellaw 1
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr ThomasA 311,628
Older Younger Dating 2 hr datingyoungerwomen 4
"Walking Dead" Starts Feb 9th (Jan '14) 2 hr jimi-yank 736

Clinton Corners Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance