Remembering Ivakota Farm

Remembering Ivakota Farm

There are 13 comments on the Alexandria Gazette-Packet story from Sep 28, 2006, titled Remembering Ivakota Farm. In it, Alexandria Gazette-Packet reports that:

Remembering Ivakota Farm Historic marker to be unveiled in May tells story of Ivakota Farm in Clifton.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alexandria Gazette-Packet.

Jack Spencer

Columbia, MD

#1 Nov 23, 2006
My wife grew up in the 50s and 60s on the Ivakota farm. For a birthday present I'd love to find a reproduction of an old map of the farm - especially if it includes the house and out-buildings.

Might anyone know where I might look for such a map?

thanks in advance.

jack spencer
Mike Johnson

AOL

#2 Nov 23, 2006
Jack Spencer wrote:
My wife grew up in the 50s and 60s on the Ivakota farm. For a birthday present I'd love to find a reproduction of an old map of the farm - especially if it includes the house and out-buildings.
thanks in advance.
jack spencer
Are you referring to the Ivakota Farm in Clifton, Virginia? What is your wife's name? Sometime in late 1958 the farm was acquired by Family & Child Services in Washington DC for a boy's camping program. I am an originla member of the "Trailblazers," the first camping group started by George Greene who was hired by F&CS as the overseer. His foreman was Frank Price. We went there on the weekends and holidays and during the summer it was a summer camp, with most of us working full-time. I don't recall any girls growing up at Ivakota between 1958 and 1964, except George's daughter and her brother Peter. The second foreman was a man name Getz, and as memory serves me, he had two sons. He was hired about a year or two before we started developing "Moss Hollow" the new place in Markham, Virginia.
Jack Spencer

Columbia, MD

#3 Nov 24, 2006
Mike Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you referring to the Ivakota Farm in Clifton, Virginia? What is your wife's name? Sometime in late 1958 the farm was acquired by Family & Child Services in Washington DC for a boy's camping program. I am an originla member of the "Trailblazers," the first camping group started by George Greene who was hired by F&CS as the overseer. His foreman was Frank Price. We went there on the weekends and holidays and during the summer it was a summer camp, with most of us working full-time. I don't recall any girls growing up at Ivakota between 1958 and 1964, except George's daughter and her brother Peter. The second foreman was a man name Getz, and as memory serves me, he had two sons. He was hired about a year or two before we started developing "Moss Hollow" the new place in Markham, Virginia.
My wife is one of George's daughters - Alison. We went out to visit the place this past summer and found, of course, that all the old buildings are gone and new houses are all over the place. We spent most of the time trying to remember where the old buildings had been; where old ponds had been, etc.

In any event, I would dearly love to find a copy of a map of the farm or an arial photo that shows the buildings.

I'll ask Alison if the remembers your name.

jack
Mike Johnson

AOL

#4 Dec 10, 2006
Yes, I remember Alison. She was the oldest daughter. Email me and I'll share some of those old photos of the place and some of the campers and counselors. Randy Dorsey, Don Price, Ernie Wesley, and Frank Price. I have a few of her father fishing down at the pond and showing off a deer he shot one hunting season.
Mike Johnson: blackyodelno1@aol.com
Doug

Falls Church, VA

#5 May 2, 2007
Although it dates from 1915, you can see the old USGS map of the area, w/ the old roads, ponds, buildings, and probably the old Ivakota farm, at the following web site:

http://historical.maptech.com/getImage.cfm...

I used to camp at Ivakota in the early 1960s when I was a boy scout, and I live just outside of the Town of Clifton today. How it has changed!!!

Regards,
Doug
Lynne Garvey Wark

Mount Rainier, MD

#6 May 7, 2007
Jack Spencer wrote:
thanks in advance.
jack spencer
Jack - I have been doing a tremendous amt. of research on IVAKOTA - please feel free to contact me at lghassoc@erols.com - I think I can help you! Lynne
Dr Jim Becker

Williamsburg, VA

#7 Jun 5, 2007
I grew up in Fairfax County but was unaware of this facility. I encountered it this week while doing historical research and reading about the Florence Crittenden Homes.
Apparently the Ivakota Farms were the project of Kate Waller Barrett, longtime President of Florence Crittenden. The national organization and a number of homes still exist. I gather (though have found no specific reference) that Ivakota was a facility designed for the children of women residents of the FC homes. The FC homes included two homes in Alexandria, one each in Roanoke, Lynchburg, and I think in Richmond, and one in Norfolk. It is the last that is my specific interest. Would appreciate any light on the subject...
Marc Joseph

Peachtree City, GA

#8 Jun 20, 2010
Jack Spencer wrote:
thanks in advance.
jack spencer
Jack,

In 1963, I was "recommended" to George Green by a friend of my father. At age 15, I had a choice between Ivakota and Lincolnia juvenile detention home, so I arrived at the farm in late July, a few weeks before the freedom march in DC. I worked the farm with Randy, Ernie, Leroy (?), Tommy (?), and Frank Price. Also at the farm was the Mackin basketball coach, Paul Furlong. I ate meals at the Green's table, along with Allison, Peter, George, and Ruth. I fished in the ponds, bush-hogged the fields, and drove an old Vauzhall around the place. We slept in the "barracks" and did some socials at Camp Goodwill (girls) in Prince William Forest. Lery, Tommy. and I formed a folk-singing group for the occasions. I played guitar, while the other two harmonized, knowling it wise to keep me from singing! I remember the time when Frank Price slid the tractor into the big pond, and we spent hours trying to leverage it out of the muddy bottom. Leroy could not swim, but he was game to help the rest of us. Other memories are of chasing escaped pigs through the vegetable gardens and drinking Black Label beer in the dorm. The next year, I worked as a counselor at Camp Pleasant. I saw George a few times after that, and I fished with Peter one morning after my return from Vietnam. Then, I lost track of everyone. I would appreciate an update from you, and I hope that you get this thread. Thanks.
GMU Hokie

Fairfax, VA

#9 Oct 4, 2010
Try the free www.historicaerials.com .

Use Centreville High as your reference landmark.

Scroll down Union Mills Road.

Be sure to use the overlays as needed.
Brent Smith

Augusta, GA

#10 Nov 27, 2010
My father, great-grandson of Kate Waller Barrett, grew up on Ivakota Farm in the 1930's and 1940's. I would love to be able to be able to gather any old photos to give to him.
Mike Johnson

AOL

#11 Feb 4, 2011
Marc Joseph wrote:
<quoted text>
Jack,
In 1963, I was "recommended" to George Green by a friend of my father. At age 15, I had a choice between Ivakota and Lincolnia juvenile detention home, so I arrived at the farm in late July, a few weeks before the freedom march in DC. I worked the farm with Randy, Ernie, Leroy (?), Tommy (?), and Frank Price. Also at the farm was the Mackin basketball coach, Paul Furlong. I ate meals at the Green's table, along with Allison, Peter, George, and Ruth. I fished in the ponds, bush-hogged the fields, and drove an old Vauzhall around the place. We slept in the "barracks" and did some socials at Camp Goodwill (girls) in Prince William Forest. Lery, Tommy. and I formed a folk-singing group for the occasions. I played guitar, while the other two harmonized, knowling it wise to keep me from singing! I remember the time when Frank Price slid the tractor into the big pond, and we spent hours trying to leverage it out of the muddy bottom. Leroy could not swim, but he was game to help the rest of us. Other memories are of chasing escaped pigs through the vegetable gardens and drinking Black Label beer in the dorm. The next year, I worked as a counselor at Camp Pleasant. I saw George a few times after that, and I fished with Peter one morning after my return from Vietnam. Then, I lost track of everyone. I would appreciate an update from you, and I hope that you get this thread. Thanks.
Marc. I was one of the original members of the Trailblazers, the first camping club started by George Greene for Ivakota, and was a regular at the farm, and worked both camps. Randy was the leader, and Don started the second club, The Magnificent Seven. Ernie Wesley had still another of the clubs.
Marc Joseph

Anderson, SC

#12 Feb 5, 2011
Mike Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
Marc. I was one of the original members of the Trailblazers, the first camping club started by George Greene for Ivakota, and was a regular at the farm, and worked both camps. Randy was the leader, and Don started the second club, The Magnificent Seven. Ernie Wesley had still another of the clubs.
Mike, thanks for the update. I don't remember you, but am sure that we met at some time. I also worked as counselor at Camp Pleasant the next year (1964). What are you doing now?
Mike Johnson

AOL

#13 Feb 6, 2011
Marc Joseph wrote:
<quoted text>
Mike, thanks for the update. I don't remember you, but am sure that we met at some time. I also worked as counselor at Camp Pleasant the next year (1964). What are you doing now?
I'm the one they called "Stoney Burke" after the TV cowboy show. I was also the head cook a couple of summers and worked at Camp Goodwill. By the way, that was Linwood, not Leroy, and Tommy Stubbs, who also had a younger brother name Robert. There was also Butch Simms, Eddie & Frank Waldvogel, Mike Shirley, Jerry Beard, Teddy Whitman, Mike Shoemaker, Mike Miller, Joey Culver, and Jerry Beard, to mention a few. Frank Price taught us to ride bareback on Old Bay.
I graduated from Mackin High in 1965 and Paul Furlong was my Biology & Gym teacher. I don't recall him being at Ivakota unless it was a summer session when I was working at Camp Goodwill. I have a number of photographs that I took there.
I'm a retired long-distance trucker.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clifton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Manassas to restrict panhandling at key interse... Jul 26 Mee 1
Review: Manikas Law LLC Jul 23 Bboy 1
News Suffolk woman scammed out of nearly $300,000 by... Jul 21 smoke 1
News 17-year-old allegedly choked by 33-year-old boy... Jul 20 roberi jewett 1
Homewood Suites discriminated on Yvette HRH Jul 17 lady 1
Hilton discrimination Homewood suites Springfie... Jul 17 lady 1
News US official guilty of covering for ex-worker wh... Mar '15 trying 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Clifton Mortgages