Body found along Highway 180

Body found along Highway 180

There are 42 comments on the Silver City Sun-News story from Feb 1, 2011, titled Body found along Highway 180. In it, Silver City Sun-News reports that:

The body of a Georgia man was found Sunday about a half mile south of the Aldo Leopold Vista on Highway 180, an apparent victim of exposure.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Silver City Sun-News.

samuel johnson

Albuquerque, NM

#25 Feb 3, 2011
Let's go over this carefully. Someone has died and probably amidst great suffering. As a supposedly civilized human being, it is natural to feel empathy for a fellow hunman being in this situation.
My first thought was why did it take so long to look for this guy? Apparently, that's what a lot of people thought.
I remember what happened just a few months ago when GCSO found a poor woman burning her husband's remains off a semi remote highway. Their response was to lock her up and based on the way their spokesman acted (Aguirre?), they were proud of that. A few weeks later, the woman was dead.
I have had personal contact with Sheriff Villanueva when he could have been a hard-ass but chose to be a real human being. I think that he should extend his level of sensitity througout the department, i.e., "protect and serve."
Unfortunately someone is dead. Could the department have prevented this with a reasonable amount of thought? If so, should the person "responsible" be allowed to remain employed here?
I can also tell you pointblank that there are several persons on the Sheriff's Department who are unfit for the job. False prosecution, lying on reports, creating hazardous situations, refusing to step up and speak out, unwarranted taser use, endangering human beings, and just being basically members of a club who have gone around being thugs for many years.
I sincerely hope that Villanueva weeds these idiots out.
Perhaps a grand jury would help him.
Dannys Nephew

Watkinsville, GA

#28 Feb 3, 2011
My uncle does have sister's...5 sisters to be exact. If you knew him as you say you do then you would not be saying idiotic comments like that. All your doing is showing how much of a dumb-ass you are! And to "samuel johnson" are you suprised by how those cops are acting? Let me give you some breaking news...thats not just the cops there...thats cops everywhere, they're all pricks who abuse any and everyone they want to without a second thought. And to any cops who may read this...you can't enforce the law by breaking the law!!!
Opinionated B

Las Cruces, NM

#29 Feb 3, 2011
First, for all of you who think that police officers SHOULD HAVE saved this guy: If the police had the authority to detain every person wandering around Grant County, do you think we would see all of these people sitting in front of Wally world begging for money? We have plenty of people in this county who we all think would be better off in a mental institute or behind bars, both for their safety and our own safety.
Here in the United States, people have rights!! Fortunately, a police officer can't just yank you off the streets, because he "thinks" your going to commit suicide. We are not a nanny state, and the police are not babysitters.
While it is very sad any time a person takes their own life, if that is what happened here, ultimately, he was an adult and he made a choice. I hope his family can find some peace!
Just wondering

Santa Fe, NM

#31 Feb 3, 2011
hadenough wrote:
<quoted text>
Good cops??? Smart cops??? How oxymoronic of you. Especially 'round these parts, the Appalachia of the SW.
If you've "had enough," why don't you hop the next ride back to wherever you used to be???
Atlanta friend

Conley, GA

#33 Feb 3, 2011
Danny had a job and a life and many, many friends. We have been worrying about him for weeks. Now we are crying and praying for his family.(That includes blood relatives and his chosen family). Please stop the vitrol and let him rest in peace. He's not in a position to harm you and we all must move on. Thank you.
Protective custody

Albuquerque, NM

#34 Feb 4, 2011
Opinionated B wrote:
First, for all of you who think that police officers SHOULD HAVE saved this guy: If the police had the authority to detain every person wandering around Grant County, do you think we would see all of these people sitting in front of Wally world begging for money? We have plenty of people in this county who we all think would be better off in a mental institute or behind bars, both for their safety and our own safety.
Here in the United States, people have rights!! Fortunately, a police officer can't just yank you off the streets, because he "thinks" your going to commit suicide. We are not a nanny state, and the police are not babysitters.
While it is very sad any time a person takes their own life, if that is what happened here, ultimately, he was an adult and he made a choice. I hope his family can find some peace!
The Police do have the right to place an individual in PROTECTIVE CUSTODY if he or she belives that the person is a threat to themselves and or others. You stated "Fortunately, a police officer can't just yank you off the streets, because he "thinks" your going to commit suicide." AND YES THE POLICE CAN!!!!!! It involves work lots of paper work and it can be done and is very seldom done because its called WORK< which 99% of all Law enforcement has NO idea how to do that!! RIP!!!!!!!!!!
American Citizen

United States

#35 Feb 4, 2011
Why all this blame for the County? Isn't search and rescue a State Police responsibility? The county can't start one, it has to be State Police. I heard a county deputy call (on the scanner) for State Police about a "Possible missing person/search and rescue situation" on the county frequency on the morning of the 12th. Why didn't State Police do anything until the 30th?
Seems to me State Police did a similar thing a few years ago with that paranoid schizophrenic woman lost in the Gila Wilderness, they waited 2 weeks after the county reported her car abandoned in the forest at this same time of year as a missing person case. The article stated the county followed up and located this poor man's family, not State Police. They simply towed the guy's car after waiting 2 weeks -- and did nothing until the COUNTY located his realtives and got more information.
Also, should the hospital be held accountable? THEY released this man after the COUNTY went out and found him and took him there. The hospital just released him. Remember, all medical information is private, without a signed consent form or a court order, the county would not have been told ANYTHING about his condition and had no LAWFUL reason to detain further.
The "Scoop" reporter who wrote this article should get the police reports and follow up to expose who really "Did nothing" or failed this poor soul, regardless of his personal situation -- he was a human being and was obviously loved and cared for by his family and friends. Let's not prolong or complicate their grief and give New Mexico's citizens that reputation. I would have hoped for better from us for a fellow American and visitor to our state. "Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Judged".
Opinionated B

Silver City, NM

#36 Feb 4, 2011
Protective custody wrote:
<quoted text>
The Police do have the right to place an individual in PROTECTIVE CUSTODY if he or she belives that the person is a threat to themselves and or others. You stated "Fortunately, a police officer can't just yank you off the streets, because he "thinks" your going to commit suicide." AND YES THE POLICE CAN!!!!!! It involves work lots of paper work and it can be done and is very seldom done because its called WORK< which 99% of all Law enforcement has NO idea how to do that!! RIP!!!!!!!!!!
The key words here are "if they believe that the person is a threat to themselves or others" And what would have made them believe that about this man??? Did he tell them he wanted to kill himself? Was he holding a gun to his head? What officers have to have is "probable cause" if the police were able to pick up everyone they thought were depressed, they would probably pick up half of the people they came in contact with. And where are they supposed to take them to put them in protective custody? The hospital? Apparently this man was at the hospital and they discharged him. Think about all the drunks wandering around here. They are a danger to themselves and others, our police officers can only do so much. they do not have as much authority as you think they do.
Idiot

Tempe, AZ

#37 Feb 4, 2011
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets see a good cop runs the plate, see's its not stolen. The next day the cars still parked there on the hwy , so the cop puts a sticker warning the owner the car is going to be considerd abandoned. Then weeks later tow it to find he died from the elements?! How about find the registered owner by the plate and address, call 411 (information)and see if there is a phone number for the owner of the car, call it and talk to family and find out situation. Once this was done and there was concern for his mental health wouldnt you start looking then not two weeks later?????????? Im pissed at the lack of smart cops!!
Hey I bet that works if the registered owner isn't the guy that was just found on the side of the highway or maybe moving from one residence to another. I'm tired of stupid civilians who think it's that easy or see the car but never take the initiative to report the vehicle, especially if they know the subject or the family.
Idiot

Tempe, AZ

#38 Feb 4, 2011
Protective custody wrote:
<quoted text>
The Police do have the right to place an individual in PROTECTIVE CUSTODY if he or she belives that the person is a threat to themselves and or others. You stated "Fortunately, a police officer can't just yank you off the streets, because he "thinks" your going to commit suicide." AND YES THE POLICE CAN!!!!!! It involves work lots of paper work and it can be done and is very seldom done because its called WORK< which 99% of all Law enforcement has NO idea how to do that!! RIP!!!!!!!!!!
I don't think your right on this one. I don't think the police can do this unless the subject states that he/she is going to hurt themselves or others. Police aren't mind readers and a lot of agencies don't have the man power to take someone who is mentally challenged or diseased to the hospital where they may sit and wait for the subject to be seen by medical personel for up to eight hours.
Circe

United States

#39 Feb 5, 2011
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets see a good cop runs the plate, see's its not stolen. The next day the cars still parked there on the hwy , so the cop puts a sticker warning the owner the car is going to be considerd abandoned. Then weeks later tow it to find he died from the elements?! How about find the registered owner by the plate and address, call 411 (information)and see if there is a phone number for the owner of the car, call it and talk to family and find out situation. Once this was done and there was concern for his mental health wouldnt you start looking then not two weeks later?????????? Im pissed at the lack of smart cops!!
What you suggested takes too much brain power, to much energy to dial 411, cops are "special" why should they have to think, call or ask anyone about something that is none of their concern.
Circe

United States

#40 Feb 5, 2011
Coach wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if they did, in his state of mind, he may very well have just walked off before anyone would have been able to get out there anyway. It's a good question to ask and you, as the person who reported him, have every right to give them a call and find out if there is an incident report on it.
Since it's possible, in that area, that the closest deputy could have been 30 minutes or more away, don't be surprised if they just couldn't find him.
Very Sad posted that he offered the man a ride on Jan 11, at nightfall walking just past the Mule Creek turn off. It was very cold them and he was not dressed to be walking into the cold, dark night upset to the point a stranger knew he was obviously in distress. Without putting himself in danger Very Sad called the Sheriff’s Dept as soon as he could. They said they would send a unit out. The question remains, did they?

As far as not being able to find him that night, don’t they have flashlights, and or spotlights? Yes they do. From Cliff all the way to the Mule Creek turn off and miles up the road towards Glenwood you can see the country on both sides of the highway for at least a quarter mile and further in certain spots. Did the Sheriffs Dept go back, did they take this call seriously? I doubt it.

Your reasoning, or lack there of, to post that "he may very well have just walked off before anyone would have been able to get out there ANYWAY." Is no doubt in my mind, what the deputy dog[s] must have said to themselves or each other. To make excuses for this inept, bungling, sorry excuse for law enforcement is beyond the pale, beyond comprehension, and an amoral, feeble, trite excuse.

I think you very well may be one of the responding, non-responsive potato heads who thought the Jan 11, emergency call was no big deal.
WCD

Watkinsville, GA

#45 Feb 6, 2011
Disgusted Cousin - go back to your prison cell where you belong.
Circe

United States

#47 Feb 6, 2011
Disgusted Cousin wrote:
<quoted text>
Got that cop hatrred going full force don't we? Try calling a dirtball hippy from Silver Shitty the next time you have an emergency. See what kind of response and solution you get.
If I ever have an emergency in Grant County, a dirt-ball hippie would probably respond faster than any dirt-ball law enforcement agency in the area, even it the dirt-ball hippie was stoned out of his or her mind.

You are a fine one to point the hate finger at anyone, re-read your post about your own relative.
Mary Ann

Stone Mountain, GA

#48 Feb 6, 2011
Heart Broken Sister wrote:
<quoted text>
To Very Sad: This is Danny's sister. I appreciate the assistance that you offered my brother. Could you please contact me at the following email so we may learn more about your encounter with him? We believe you may have been the last person to see him alive. Thank you....... jrw1273@yahoo.com
Daniel Whisnant is a good man. He was always kind to me in his workplace as a radio production manager. Danny tought me to edit and create professional audio clips to air on radio. Danny would stop what he was doing to teach me the tools of audio production trade. We had plans to produce a radio series together in 2011. A few months ago we were in his office talking and I asked about the photo on his desk. "Who are all these ladies in the photo?" He laughed and told me about his sisters while eating chocolate. Later, I'd invited him over for Thanksgiving 2010; he emailed saying he was spending the holiday with family, going to his sister's in Kennesaw.

He had deadlines at the station, meetings to attend and prepare for, he was coping with his health issues and he still had time for me. One day I accidentally and unkowingly shut down the stations equipment. Danny knocked on the recording booth door I was in, entered gently and explained what occured, how I caused the computer to shut down and told me the steps to take to avoid another occurance. Danny never raised his voice, he was not aggitated or upset. He spoke to me in the calmist voice...

If anyone has the video Danny made of the squirrel in his house, please post it. I can't find the link.

I miss Mr. Daniel Whisnant.

A very good man with a hearty laugh...
Madparent

Columbus, NM

#49 Feb 6, 2011
Grant County Sheriff's Department respond to a call? Ha...Fat chance.
sofedup

Hernando, MS

#50 Feb 6, 2011
only god judges wrote:
"oh why is everyone upset, just one piece of road trash off the streets..no one really cares nor do I"
how dare you this way a human being, mental, straight, rich, poor, old, young the only to judge anyone is god, this is someone father, brother , uncle, son, have some compassion!!!!!
Hey old man! This wonderful, sweet, kind INTELLIGENT man was my cousin. He was not "road trash" How dare you!!! That sweet man was undoubtedly smarter than you, he had a good job, and knew everything about computers, audio-video equipment, etc. He just had a mental illness, and for you to say what you said...you obviously have one too. Yo are indifferent to the pain of others. Look up "sociopath" in your dictionary (that is, if you even own one!!!! I don't understand people like you, and I wish it were you in that forest!
sofedup

Hernando, MS

#51 Feb 6, 2011
Just wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
May God have mercy on your soul! It seems you had none for this man.
So who the hell are you? Danny didn't have any relatives in NM! I think you have the wrong person, as he was none of those things you said. And even if it was another "Danny Whisnant", you are horible to say those things!
Mary Ann

United States

#52 Feb 7, 2011
Mary Ann wrote:
<quoted text>
Daniel Whisnant is a good man. He was always kind to me in his workplace as a radio production manager. Danny tought me to edit and create professional audio clips to air on radio. Danny would stop what he was doing to teach me the tools of audio production trade. We had plans to produce a radio series together in 2011. A few months ago we were in his office talking and I asked about the photo on his desk. "Who are all these ladies in the photo?" He laughed and told me about his sisters while eating chocolate. Later, I'd invited him over for Thanksgiving 2010; he emailed saying he was spending the holiday with family, going to his sister's in Kennesaw.
He had deadlines at the station, meetings to attend and prepare for, he was coping with his health issues and he still had time for me. One day I accidentally and unkowingly shut down the stations equipment. Danny knocked on the recording booth door I was in, entered gently and explained what occured, how I caused the computer to shut down and told me the steps to take to avoid another occurance. Danny never raised his voice, he was not aggitated or upset. He spoke to me in the calmist voice...
If anyone has the video Danny made of the squirrel in his house, please post it. I can't find the link.
I miss Mr. Daniel Whisnant.
A very good man with a hearty laugh...

Finally found the link... Here is Danny's YouTube video of a squirrel in his house. What would you do in this situation? Hmm
Another Friend of Dannys

Mcdonough, GA

#58 Feb 7, 2011
I am heartbroken that anyone would say such terrible things about Danny. Danny worked with a company that provided a valuable service to those who are blind and visually impaired.
What are YOU doing to help someone else?
Danny was PASSIONATE about helping others, perhaps because he too had a disability. When I learned of his death I wept because I had only spoken to him a few times. Each time I found him articulate, intelligent, and much like a friend whom I haven't spoken to in years. I thought that perhaps he had a heart attack, but to read this is devistating !
Each of us are going through someting. THAT SHOULD BE THE LESSON !!!! We should be reaching out to this family. We should be reaching out to those who we KNOW have seasonal depression, anxiety, and other issues because God knows there is NO funding to help these people !!! Instead, some are on their self-righteous high horses when in a blink, a milisecond, it could be you or your loved one.
Can you for one second imagine this families fear? Their pain? Their suffering? In the South we are taught that if you don't have something kind to say, then please keep it to yourself. His death has left a tremendous void in the workforce; particularly with those who are struggling to provide services for the blind and visually impaired. People will miss him. Will they miss you?
How would you like to feel the panic of missing someone only to receive that phone call that your worst fears are confirmed? We never truly know what someone else is going through. Hate breeds Hate, but Love breeds Love. Which side are you contributing to? Helping the family by loving them, or hurting the family be spewing hate and untruths?
They need closure. They need answers. But most of all they need your support !
If the police were negligent, contact the Attorney General, the National News, someone...anyone other that this forum where family members, co-workers, and me who has only now learned of Danny's death are struggling to understand why this happened.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cliff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DA Francesca Estevez back in court for hearing May 9 Sikofit 4
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) May 8 doG mnaDed lyoH i... 72,083
News Santa Clara Police Officer Arrested (Feb '12) Apr 27 Wagonburner 17
Former deputy Michel Aguirre back in custody (May '17) Apr 27 Wagonburner 4
News DA Walks Away from what should have been a DUI ... (Jul '16) Apr 27 Wagonburner 4
Silver City Tourist Experience Apr '18 Visiting Tourists 1
News Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument may rais... (Jan '15) Jan '15 msgtdon 1

Cliff Jobs

Personal Finance

Cliff Mortgages