Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 71939 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#71528 Apr 13, 2014
Adam 36 wrote:
<quoted text>

That's false, it was the entire Japanese nation behind their efforts. How could they all have supported such acts if they were Buddhists?
Can show me a single violent, abusive, racist, tribal or murderous statement in the teachings of the Buddha?

Obviously, you can't and so the Buddha can't be blamed for the vile acts of the Japs.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#71529 Apr 13, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

Its not over until its over. As far as I am concerned, you are unproven goods

and then there is that "minor" issue of performance anxiety....
ha ha ha.

Take care.

All the very best to you in life.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#71530 Apr 13, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
This paragraph to me seems full of confusion, all due respect.
1. "....somewhat pure....?" Not sure how you mean this.
2. "...logic...." What does logic have to do with not wanting to cut a piece of your baby's ding dong off?? for no good reason (assuming proper hygiene is taught and practiced).
3. Why keep bringing religion into it? I think it's pretty clear by now we're talking about the 95% of cutters who are non-Jews. And therefore were never doing it for religious reasons.
The AAP was pretty clear. They don't recommend it but leave it up to the parents. So I don't hear them condemning anyone who wants to keep doing it (for whatever reason).
(And I eat hotdogs - speaking of ding dongs - about as often as I eat its nontubular cousin, bologna (beef only), which is to say not very..)
1&3: I see no evidence that in the US any of the nativists are anti-semitic. However, I find their position extremely insensitive to Jews - The circumcision ceremony is at the heart of the religion, and I find it hard to believe that at least some of these people dont know this. As a result, their efforts towards banning it IS a concern to Jews (hence why it always comes back to religion) as Jews get swept up in the implications (in the same way Jews are swept up in teh Eurpoean backlash against Muslims).

2: I disagree that circumcision is mutilation.(as if it is similar to female genital mutilation) And I find it hypocritical that they are focused on this and not also on ear piercing of infants.So I disagree with the foundation of their argument, as well as its application. Can't reasonable people disagree?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mut...

Mutilation: mu∑ti∑late transitive verb \&#712;myŁ-t&#601;- &#716;l&#257;t\
: to cause severe damage to (the body of a person or animal)

: to ruin the beauty of (something): to severely damage or spoil (something)

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#71531 Apr 13, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Can show me a single violent, abusive, racist, tribal or murderous statement in the teachings of the Buddha?
Obviously, you can't and so the Buddha can't be blamed for the vile acts of the Japs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_vio...
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#71534 Apr 13, 2014
ADAM,

Those are not the teachings of the Buddha as posted in the link.

I have not denied the fact that Buddhists may be violent depending on the degree of their personality flaws.

I have asked you to show me where in the Buddha's teaching are words of violence, bigotry, war, murder, slavery, racism, tribalism, genital mutilation, human sacrifices, animal offerings, stoning to death, bashing babies to death, cannibalism, rape and other evil teachings.

Can you show me even one instance of evil as mentioned in the long list above in any of the teachings of the great Buddha who was the human personification of universal love, universal forgiveness and universal compassion?

You'll have to quote from the Buddha's teachings contained in the Dhammapada or from the Tripitakas.

I can assure you that you will not find a single teaching of the Buddha that is evil.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#71535 Apr 13, 2014
yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: if there is no need, to test both me and the woman. then their is no need to test me, because we are both the Product of The Same FATHER And MOTHER according to scripture. and it is the only way, you are going to get 100% markers. and it is not my assignment to prove anything, it is Only my Assignment to give the message.
as i do not think you fully understand, in shall do as commanded by G-D. not what is commanded by you self appointed, as my alleged supreme commander. does not make any difference what you say, i shall do precisely as commanded. if you have a problem with that, you need to convince G-D not me. and for some reason, i do not believe G-D is even going to consider requests from THEIR enemies. and all you liars in this world, can continue with your not here in This Story from G-D lying. but this Story happens, exactly the way G-D said in spite of all your disbelief.
God never said you don't have to be tested, right?

So go make a DNA test and prove you are not a liar, unless you are trying to avoid it because it can prove you are.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#71536 Apr 13, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
1&3: I see no evidence that in the US any of the nativists are anti-semitic. However, I find their position extremely insensitive to Jews - The circumcision ceremony is at the heart of the religion, and I find it hard to believe that at least some of these people dont know this. As a result, their efforts towards banning it IS a concern to Jews (hence why it always comes back to religion) as Jews get swept up in the implications (in the same way Jews are swept up in teh Eurpoean backlash against Muslims).
2: I disagree that circumcision is mutilation.(as if it is similar to female genital mutilation) And I find it hypocritical that they are focused on this and not also on ear piercing of infants.So I disagree with the foundation of their argument, as well as its application. Can't reasonable people disagree?
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mut...
Mutilation: mu∑ti∑late transitive verb \&#712;myŁ-t&#601;- &#716;l&#257;t\
: to cause severe damage to (the body of a person or animal)
: to ruin the beauty of (something): to severely damage or spoil (something)
Again I think your argument doesn't seem to flow from our discussion but from some other things you may have heard or read on the subject. Which could explain the confusing nature of it (at least to me).

I've never heard of anyone wanting to ban the practice. But I don't claim to be an expert or even knowledgeable about it. For me it's already bygones and I have no offspring.

Parents have a lot worse ways of fxcking up their kids and I'm not a crusader on this or any other issue.

It's you who wants to compare the practice to female clit cutting and ear piercing. I don't see the point either way. It is what it is.

And I don't see it as an argument. I see it as a point of view. Non-religious folks who are against doing it. Nothing wrong with that. As you say, can't we disagree and get along?

If someone wants to call it a mutilation I think that's a fair statement. I regret it was done to me and had I kids, I wouldn't do it to them. Did it ruin my life? No. But did it expose a sensitive area meant to be covered and protected? Clearly yes.

Worse than ear piercing? Absolutely. As bad as female circ? No.(Your comparisons, not mine.)

Now, I wonder, do you respect the Christian snake handlers the same way you want folks to respect the religious practice of circumcision? How about any other odd religious practices not your own?

Location hidden

#71537 Apr 13, 2014
JOEL wrote:
ADAM,
Those are not the teachings of the Buddha as posted in the link.
I have not denied the fact that Buddhists may be violent depending on the degree of their personality flaws.
I have asked you to show me where in the Buddha's teaching are words of violence, bigotry, war, murder, slavery, racism, tribalism, genital mutilation, human sacrifices, animal offerings, stoning to death, bashing babies to death, cannibalism, rape and other evil teachings.
Can you show me even one instance of evil as mentioned in the long list above in any of the teachings of the great Buddha who was the human personification of universal love, universal forgiveness and universal compassion?
You'll have to quote from the Buddha's teachings contained in the Dhammapada or from the Tripitakas.
I can assure you that you will not find a single teaching of the Buddha that is evil.
No, they are interpretations of the teachings of Bhudda.

Who are you to tell anyone what the "pure" teachings of Bhudda are?

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/No_True_Scotsman...
Religious apologists will repeatedly try to use the No True Scotsman argument to distance themselves from more extreme or fundamentalist groups, but this does not prevent such extremists actually being religious - they themselves would certainly argue otherwise.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#71538 Apr 13, 2014
Frijoles

Did you know that American Evangelical Zionists far outnumber Jewish ones? Around 70 million evangelicals - 80% of whom are pro-Israel vs around 14 million Jews on earth.

Just saw this HBO doc on the subject. It said they send most of their money and support (significant$$) to West Bank Settlements, undermining US efforts for a 2-state solution.

As I'm sure you know, Jews need to control ALL of Israel in order for the Second Coming to take place - Armageddon. Hence, no 2-state will solution will work for these folks' purpose.

Unfortunately 2/3 of Jews will die when this happens.

Kind of reminds me of fattening the lambs for the slaughter.

Guessing you're not impressed when hear of support from the Evangelicals.

I had heard some of this before but never had it all spelled out for in a 14 minute doc. No biblical scholar here. Same old same old.

Location hidden

#71539 Apr 13, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Again I think your argument doesn't seem to flow from our discussion but from some other things you may have heard or read on the subject. Which could explain the confusing nature of it (at least to me).
I've never heard of anyone wanting to ban the practice. But I don't claim to be an expert or even knowledgeable about it. For me it's already bygones and I have no offspring.
Parents have a lot worse ways of fxcking up their kids and I'm not a crusader on this or any other issue.
It's you who wants to compare the practice to female clit cutting and ear piercing. I don't see the point either way. It is what it is.
And I don't see it as an argument. I see it as a point of view. Non-religious folks who are against doing it. Nothing wrong with that. As you say, can't we disagree and get along?
If someone wants to call it a mutilation I think that's a fair statement. I regret it was done to me and had I kids, I wouldn't do it to them. Did it ruin my life? No. But did it expose a sensitive area meant to be covered and protected? Clearly yes.
Worse than ear piercing? Absolutely. As bad as female circ? No.(Your comparisons, not mine.)
allow me to educate you

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/san-francisco-ci...
Proposed Circumcision Ban Struck From San Francisco Ballot
July 28, 2011

and......----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumcision_con...

Many anti-circumcision groups have joined the International Coalition for Genital Integrity [85] and endorsed its declaration,[86] which was adopted by the First International Symposium on Circumcision, on March 3, 1989, at Anaheim, California.(There have been nine such further symposia held since, with the proceedings of several subsequently published in book form.)[87] Intact America, founded in 2008, lobbies organizations such as the American Academy of Pediatrics, American Civil Liberties Union, and Centers for Disease Control to alter policy and change attitudes toward male infant circumcision.
However, linking male circumcision to female genital mutilation (FGM) is itself highly controversial. Organizations actually involved in combating FGM have been at considerable pains to distinguish the two, as this UNICEF document explains: "When the practice first came to be known beyond the societies in which it was traditionally carried out, it was generally referred to as "female circumcision". This term, however, draws a direct parallel with male circumcision and, as a result, creates confusion between these two distinct practices."[88]

Location hidden

#71540 Apr 13, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, I wonder, do you respect the Christian snake handlers the same way you want folks to respect the religious practice of circumcision? How about any other odd religious practices not your own?
If it doesnt violate current animal cruelty laws, or other laws, its not my concern

Ditto for any other practice.(note - refusing to deliver cakes to gay weddings does violate laws - civil right laws)

People who dont believe in circumcision have the ability to act on that belief - by not doing it to their sons. There is no need to go after other people. Not much different than the abortion issue. Like I said, the intactivists are reaching too far. No one is preventing them from practicing their own beliefs among themselves.

Location hidden

#71541 Apr 13, 2014
former res wrote:
Frijoles
Did you know that American Evangelical Zionists far outnumber Jewish ones? Around 70 million evangelicals - 80% of whom are pro-Israel vs around 14 million Jews on earth.
Just saw this HBO doc on the subject. It said they send most of their money and support (significant$$) to West Bank Settlements, undermining US efforts for a 2-state solution.
As I'm sure you know, Jews need to control ALL of Israel in order for the Second Coming to take place - Armageddon. Hence, no 2-state will solution will work for these folks' purpose.
Unfortunately 2/3 of Jews will die when this happens.
Kind of reminds me of fattening the lambs for the slaughter.
Guessing you're not impressed when hear of support from the Evangelicals.
I had heard some of this before but never had it all spelled out for in a 14 minute doc. No biblical scholar here. Same old same old.
Old news, my friend. There are a gazillion Christians, and only a few million Jews. And the Christians are not interested in Jews for the Jews sake. Unfortunately, one can not always pick your allies.

As an American, I never have been comfortable with the Christians religious rights support of Israel, as it comes with strings attached. The strings I refer to is the implicit recognition of the Christian right by the Israelis, which in my opinion, indirectly undermines the American domestic values I support. Kind the the flip of your observation that the Right undermines American international policy.

But that all said, there is so much negative misinformation floating around about Israeli policy and society, with public opinion at times so much against the country, that when someone steps up to the plate, it is almost insane to tell them to go away.

Also, there is enough Arab and Muslim wealth, that if the Arabs and Muslims wanted to really solve the problem, they could create a Palestinian state over night with their financial support. Obviously they dont want to solve the problem, and would rather use the Palestinians as pawns.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#71542 Apr 13, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
allow me to educate you
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/san-francisco-ci...
Proposed Circumcision Ban Struck From San Francisco Ballot
July 28, 2011
SF has floated a lot of odd ballot measures over the years.

Doesn't sound this was anywhere near getting off the ground.

If the Evangelicals catch wind of this, you'll be all set!

:))
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
and......----
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumcision_con...
Many anti-circumcision groups have joined the International Coalition for Genital Integrity [85] and endorsed its declaration,[86] which was adopted by the First International Symposium on Circumcision, on March 3, 1989, at Anaheim, California.(There have been nine such further symposia held since, with the proceedings of several subsequently published in book form.)[87] Intact America, founded in 2008, lobbies organizations such as the American Academy of Pediatrics, American Civil Liberties Union, and Centers for Disease Control to alter policy and change attitudes toward male infant circumcision.
However, linking male circumcision to female genital mutilation (FGM) is itself highly controversial. Organizations actually involved in combating FGM have been at considerable pains to distinguish the two, as this UNICEF document explains: "When the practice first came to be known beyond the societies in which it was traditionally carried out, it was generally referred to as "female circumcision". This term, however, draws a direct parallel with male circumcision and, as a result, creates confusion between these two distinct practices."[88]
It's right in there alright - not the same thing:

Organizations actually involved in combating FGM have been at considerable pains to distinguish the two, as this UNICEF document explains: "When the practice first came to be known beyond the societies in which it was traditionally carried out, it was generally referred to as "female circumcision". This term, however, draws a direct parallel with male circumcision and, as a result, creates confusion between these two distinct practices."[88]

It's the word circumcision in connections with females that's misleading.

Not to say the word mutilation doesn't fit both practices.

Location hidden

#71543 Apr 13, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
:))
<quoted text>
It's right in there alright - not the same thing:
Organizations actually involved in combating FGM have been at considerable pains to distinguish the two, as this UNICEF document explains: "When the practice first came to be known beyond the societies in which it was traditionally carried out, it was generally referred to as "female circumcision". This term, however, draws a direct parallel with male circumcision and, as a result, creates confusion between these two distinct practices."[88]

Mutilation is an emotionally tinged word. And its choice was carefully selected for that reason.

I agree San Fran is whacky. But a little artful googling may point out they are not alone for this movement. And I agree its not exactly going to get a lot of traction, in the US.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#71544 Apr 13, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
If it doesnt violate current animal cruelty laws, or other laws, its not my concern
"Current" you say. But obviously laws and attitudes change.(Perhaps as we're seeing with circ).

"I did nothing and then they came for me......."

So if some bleeding hearts got together and decided the snakes were being traumatized during these snake handling church services and outlawed the practice....

ok with you?
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Ditto for any other practice.(note - refusing to deliver cakes to gay weddings does violate laws - civil right laws)
Though if they could get their cake elsewhere....it could be argued (as I have) that it violates the bakers' rights to run his business and choose his customers as he sees fit.

Ex-felons could become a "protected class" next and then you'd be required to hire them regardless of whether or not you trust them in your cash drawer.
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
People who dont believe in circumcision have the ability to act on that belief - by not doing it to their sons. There is no need to go after other people. Not much different than the abortion issue. Like I said, the intactivists are reaching too far. No one is preventing them from practicing their own beliefs among themselves.
No need to go after others, I agree.

I'm curious though. As a semi-agnostic, not so much by the book, nature worshiper, I'm a little surprised you take this one procedure so much to heart.

I didn't think you took scripture so literally.

Location hidden

#71545 Apr 13, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.prweb.com/releases/mgmbill/circumc...

As momentum continues to build against male circumcision, intactivists from around the USA have flooded Congress and 10 state legislatures with proposed legislation to ban genital cutting of boys. If enacted, the Male Genital Mutilation (MGM) Bill would amend existing female genital mutilation laws by making them gender neutral.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#71546 Apr 13, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Old news, my friend. There are a gazillion Christians, and only a few million Jews. And the Christians are not interested in Jews for the Jews sake. Unfortunately, one can not always pick your allies.
As an American, I never have been comfortable with the Christians religious rights support of Israel, as it comes with strings attached. The strings I refer to is the implicit recognition of the Christian right by the Israelis, which in my opinion, indirectly undermines the American domestic values I support. Kind the the flip of your observation that the Right undermines American international policy.
But that all said, there is so much negative misinformation floating around about Israeli policy and society, with public opinion at times so much against the country, that when someone steps up to the plate, it is almost insane to tell them to go away.
Also, there is enough Arab and Muslim wealth, that if the Arabs and Muslims wanted to really solve the problem, they could create a Palestinian state over night with their financial support. Obviously they dont want to solve the problem, and would rather use the Palestinians as pawns.
Well...I figured it was old news...it being somewhere in the good book and all.

I just never had it spelled out like that before.

"End Times Ministry" I think the group was called.'

But don't group all us Christians together. I never heard any of this in the Catholic Church. And I don't think most Protestants even dwell on it.

It seems to be the evangelicals. the nuts of the fly over states.

I said something about being a Christian once and my uncle said "your're not a Christian - you're Catholic!" so there you go - old school Irish Catholic
former res

Cheshire, CT

#71547 Apr 13, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>......Mutilation is an emotionally tinged word. And its choice was carefully selected for that reason......
It is but I honestly find the term is hard to argue with. And I'm not just trying to be provocative.

If someone goes in for elective cosmetic surgery, I think they are agreeing to be mutilated in some way. Perhaps for a better look in the end but still.

They're being cut. Disfigurement is one aspect of mutilation (the definition I read) and removing part of a body part obviously changes it forever. It's gone. And therefore no longer doing its job. It sure ain't the way god made us!
former res

Cheshire, CT

#71548 Apr 13, 2014
The origination of male circumcision is not known with certainty. It has been variously proposed that it began as a religious sacrifice, as a rite of passage marking a boy's entrance into adulthood, as a form of sympathetic magic to ensure virility or fertility, as a means of enhancing sexual pleasure, as an aid to hygiene where regular bathing was impractical, as a means of marking those of higher social status, as a means of humiliating enemies and slaves by symbolic castration, as a means of differentiating a circumcising group from their non-circumcising neighbors, as a means of discouraging masturbation or other socially proscribed sexual behaviors, as a means of removing "excess" pleasure, as a means of increasing a man's attractiveness to women, as a demonstration of one's ability to endure pain, or as a male counterpart to menstruation or the breaking of the hymen, or to copy the rare natural occurrence of a missing foreskin of an important leader, and as a display of disgust of the smegma produced by the foreskin. It has been suggested that the custom of circumcision gave advantages to tribes that practiced it and thus led to its spread.[1][2][3] Darby describes these theories as "conflicting", and states that "the only point of agreement among proponents of the various theories is that promoting good health had nothing to do with it."[2] Immerman et al. suggest that circumcision causes lowered sexual arousal of pubescent males, and hypothesize that this was a competitive advantage to tribes practising circumcision, leading to its spread.[4] Wilson suggests that circumcision reduces insemination efficiency, reducing a man's capacity for extra-pair fertilizations by impairing sperm competition. Thus, men who display this signal of sexual obedience, may gain social benefits, if married men are selected to offer social trust and investment preferentially to peers who are less threatening to their paternity.[5] It is possible that circumcision arose independently in different cultures for different reasons.

The oldest documentary evidence for circumcision comes from ancient Egypt.[6] Circumcision was common, although not universal, among ancient Semitic peoples.[7] In the aftermath of the conquests of Alexander the Great, however, Greek dislike of circumcision (they regarded a man as truly "naked" only if his prepuce was retracted) led to a decline in its incidence among many peoples that had previously practiced it.[8]

Circumcision has ancient roots among several ethnic groups in sub-equatorial Africa, and is still performed on adolescent boys to symbolize their transition to warrior status or adulthood.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_male_...

Location hidden

#71549 Apr 13, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
It is but I honestly find the term is hard to argue with. And I'm not just trying to be provocative.
If someone goes in for elective cosmetic surgery, I think they are agreeing to be mutilated in some way. Perhaps for a better look in the end but still.
They're being cut. Disfigurement is one aspect of mutilation (the definition I read) and removing part of a body part obviously changes it forever. It's gone. And therefore no longer doing its job. It sure ain't the way god made us!
You are viewing it from the clinical, objective, medical definition. That was not what the activists were shooting for. They chose the word for its emotional currency (i.e. the layperson, non professional usage). They are looking to rile people up, while you are looking to objectively describe. My fight is with them, not you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cliff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Low water pressure and dirty water May 29 Dirty and mad 2
Review: Custom Steelworks May 29 savant 3
News About the cover May 20 Bruce Brown 1
Review: High Country Collision Specialist (Jul '14) May 18 angry customer 2
News Local surgeon injured while bicycling May 12 best wishes 1
Federal law enforcement agencies conduct meth s... May 10 A view from the c... 2
News Lawsuit filed in federal court alleges murder c... (Jul '14) May 7 Pepper Dine 2
More from around the web

Cliff People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]