Delray Beach to consider tighter control of halfway houses

Everyone agrees there's a problem. Unscrupulous landlords decide to make extra bucks by converting their homes to halfway houses for recovering substance abusers, only to take their rent money and kick them out after a relapse. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Delray homeowner

Miami, FL

#22 May 16, 2010
I loved Delray when I moved there 14 years ago. I liked it when it was just old retired people and the hood. These halfway houses send broshuers up north to pray on 20 year old kids. And make there lives more screwed up than it was.

I think that there parents should send them to college instead of a rehab/halfwayhouse. There is a 90 something% chance they won't recover anyway.

I also hate what they have done to Delray. They came here thinking how nice Delray is and they had nothing to do with it except screw it up.
Nancy

Palm Coast, FL

#23 Jul 17, 2010
I am in search of a good, ethical sober housing enviroment for my son. How do I know which place is good? I need one with either an outpatient program or workshops. I dont want to put him in a place that isnt good. where do I begin? He really needs structure, as he has been in a rehab several times already and this would be his first time actually going to a sober living environment. I would prefer a Christian environment. Please help.

I heard bad things about a few sober houses. It is confusing to know which ones are good. they all "sell" you on their place.

Thank you to whoever can give me guidance.
Nancy
Ormond Beach
Your Mama

Boca Raton, FL

#24 Mar 5, 2012
Im more concerned about gas prices and the liberal progressive movement in this country that's destroying the U.S. if you want to post about how the sober living houses are destroying this community more power to you.
Your Mama

Boca Raton, FL

#25 Mar 5, 2012
Delray homeowner wrote:
I loved Delray when I moved there 14 years ago. I liked it when it was just old retired people and the hood. These halfway houses send broshuers up north to pray on 20 year old kids. And make there lives more screwed up than it was.
I think that there parents should send them to college instead of a rehab/halfwayhouse. There is a 90 something% chance they won't recover anyway.
I also hate what they have done to Delray. They came here thinking how nice Delray is and they had nothing to do with it except screw it up.
really go back to new jersey
Your Mama

Boca Raton, FL

#26 Mar 5, 2012
Yea whatever most people on here aren't business owners and aren't FL natives. Go back to New Jersey, New York or whatever he'll hole you came from. Sober Living Houses are a plus to this community your the problem you can't even drive you idiots. LOL Really though concern yourself today when you walk into a store to buy something and a translater is needed to check you out of the store.
Lisa Kalb

Delray Beach, FL

#27 Oct 10, 2012
Royal recovery is a total joke. The staff sells drugs to the clients and they get fired and are rehired in A week. It is a huge social gathering right in the middle of the hood. There are drugs being sold all around the area. It is not conducive to put addicts fresh out of treatment in such a bad location. Look around before you leave your child there. Very unsafe neighborhood.
Grateful addict

West Palm Beach, FL

#28 Nov 4, 2012
I’m so sad for the Delray Beach community. The prejudice is appalling and so unspiritual. I have lived in both Delray Beach and Boca for 35 years both in my active addiction and my recovery. I will be clean and sober 26 years this May. I own and operate a sober house for women for over 17 years in Delray Beach.. There are so many of us that really care and have a passion to guide YOUR mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, children, neighbors coworkers, Dr’s lawyers, nurses, etc. When this affects you, we won’t turn our backs and say you are from Delray…go away.
We are not the “Scourge” we are people trying to jump the hurtles of life. We live ocean side too, not that that makes anybody better than. Many die from this disease and Delray Beach has been such an integral part of saving lives and that is the Delray Beach community I am every so proud to be a part of.
In any business there are people with bad ethics and no integrity, however there are so many here that are passionate about helping those in need. Everyone deserves to earn a living and to be paid for their services. I don’t know too many people that work hard and just because of the recovery field they shouldn’t profit? Some people make a lot more than and others due to education, connections, good investments. I don’t understand why being successful is “poo pooed” in the recovery field.
I am so proud to be a part of the thousands of years of accumulated recovery in this little city of Delray Beach that I am apart of and have been supported in my times of need and celebration. The lie is dead WE DO RECOVER! People stand up with your community…united we stand, divided we die. This is life and death war we are fighting right here, right now. Be a part of the solution not the problem.
Sober House owner

Medford, MA

#29 Apr 30, 2013
SO here you see the typical, neighbor, sober house arguments.. both only interested in their own personal gain. Yes, there are horrid sober houses but there are also great ones. I jused recieved a text fom a client stating I saved her life, she has been here for 2 yeards and moving to her own place this week. I am in Boston not delray but its the same story, my competitors make sober housing look sooo bad by their nasty greedy behaviours that I have almost had to close doors multiple times. SO in order not to harm the good houses all you have to do is look at police blogs.. what calls are coming in? Are people overdosing and getting hauled off in ambulances? Or is a manager asking for help with someone using and refusing to leave? You see a flop house does not call the police if someone gets high and a good sober house will need help now and then.. the police logs tell it all... Lastly everyone deserves a place to live, no matter what they have done, forcing them to the streets is not the answer. Whats worse? a street full of sober houses or homeless standing around burning trash barrels?
Concerned

Collegeville, PA

#30 May 24, 2013
The above comment about Royal Recovery Resources doesn't surprise me based on someone close to me who had a very bad experience. That place should be investigated.
Pat

Paterson, NJ

#31 Aug 9, 2013
Stay away from b2r in lake worth. Money is the only motive there.
Straight-Up

Boca Raton, FL

#32 Sep 21, 2013
Let me make myself crystal clear: Not all addicts are sloppy.This is for the Sloppy Addict, which I see quite a few on Alantic Avenue. I guess the sloppy addict or a recovering sloppy addict may not be able to appreciate the average person that is clean and tries to take their family for a cup of Starbucks and unfortunately has to put up with the element. The needles on the floor leading to the bathroom in Starbucks,The smoking, the cursing, the way they keep themselves. This type of addict sticks out like a sore thumb. Bless the FEW that are particular about how they present themselves in public. The Sloppy Addict, just take a look around and try to look at the way I see things as I sit outside having a latte. My taxes are high enough;I have rights as well. For the ones that have no self-respect, I am directly complaining just to you.Clean up and have some dignity and consideration. If I wanted to sit with a bunch of hobos, I would live in the ghetto, but I choose not to. Paying $4 for a latte should come without eyesores. Geez; am I the only one that has the balls to break some balls. You are not welcome!
JBW

Phoenixville, PA

#33 Mar 27, 2014
Daughter checked into New Beginnings last night, leaving this morning. Says it's a flop house where EVERYONE is using.
neighbor who has had it

Delray Beach, FL

#34 May 10, 2014
Muliple Years Sober wrote:
To everyone of you in Delray Beach who bought these single family homes at the peak of the market and paid way too much for them - you can thank the rehabbers for paying your mortgages for the last couple of years.
Go ahead and try to push these sober houses out. Next thing we will see is you stupid idiots begging for a bailout of the poor financial decisions you made.
It's not about who will wait tables and it's not about bogging down our emergency services (I encourage you to actually investigate where all the calls come from, by the way it's public information on mydelraybeach.com .)
This is very simple, and quite honestly you idiots brought it on yourselves. You did what every red-blooded American did over the last several years and tried to get rich too quickly as well as tried to buy too much with too little of an annual salary to afford these things.
Now you are (or soon will be) trying to point a finger at just about anything rather than take the blame for your own stupidity.
So, if you think you can solve all of Delray Beach's problems by singling these sober houses out - it just makes you that much more of an imbicile.
That's ok though, we will be glad to watch you fail at this attempt as well and use your tax dollars to pay the recovery community a nice big settlement.
For this, we say THANK YOU!!!!!
WHERE DO YOU LIVE?
anonymous

Delray Beach, FL

#35 Tuesday Oct 7
stepping stones owned by scott Tompkins a
has a very high turnover rated his houses should be condemned they are so infested with bedbugs and he thinks putting things in the dryer kills it he rents a new house and brings the bedbugs from the other house with his move furniture and are all infested he rips people off for rent reentry and food / spending money that the clients never see in delray there are suppose to be only 3unrelated persons in a home he has twinbeds that are 2 2aroom some 3 room nasty living situations the health department should be brought in on all the houses he rents from people and he doesn't care who he ripsoff or what he does to talk people into believeing he is about helping someone .... he is not...... he is about helping himself .....he needs to be investigated...
Duey

Miami, FL

#36 Thursday Oct 16
Florida is beautiful,my sobriety is more so and im glad for second chances,im a lowly dishwasher and cant wait to wait or bus tables.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clewiston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Palm Beach Libertarians voice their support for... 12 hr OrlandoChris 1
cyberspace jukebox (Sep '12) Oct 16 YO VINNIE 1,044
Review: Nina And Company (Oct '13) Oct 11 Nina strauss 2
Florida Libertarians ban together for simultane... Oct 10 OrlandoChris 1
k3vr (Aug '08) Oct 6 2LateNow 16
People in Clewiston who fight dogs Aug '14 Serious 1
John Martinez, Alligator Wrestler on Gator Boys... (Sep '13) Aug '14 Lizzie 102
Clewiston Dating
Find my Match

Clewiston Jobs