Warning, Avoid Benton - And Response

Warning, Avoid Benton - And Response

There are 71 comments on the Chattanoogan.com story from May 25, 2008, titled Warning, Avoid Benton - And Response. In it, Chattanoogan.com reports that:

And Response posted May 24, 2008 Let this be a warning to those who travel U.S. Highway 411 that the town of Benton, Tn., is a speed trap.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chattanoogan.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
homecoming 1982

Smyrna, TN

#1 Jun 17, 2008
you are right dont speed through benton esspecially if you are from GA or FL

Chattanooga, TN

#2 Jun 23, 2008
I live in Benton, and people don't need to race through town, it's just one light, ha ha. It's not that big of a deal, just slow down for about 3 miles or so, it goes back to 55 when you get out of town.
Tango 34

United States

#3 Jun 25, 2008
I own a home in Benton, I don't mind the police running radar, for that short distance. I'm cop in s. florida...due to retire. I think it's amusing, they run radar in the open, and they sit in the same location everyday..So if you get caught, shame on you....I don't want tourist, truckers..etc.. speeding thru our town, I moved to Benton because of the country setting, the people...I do mind the officer's additude they give, when they stop you.. Their is no need for it..
I was stopped in 07, for going 4 mph over the speed limit...The officer said, "he'd give his own mother a ticket, boy! i'm sure she's proud....Do your job, leave the additude at home!!TOUGH GUY!!!What do expect for $10.00 an hour??

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Jul 1, 2008
homecoming 1982 wrote:
you are right dont speed through benton esspecially if you are from GA or FL
actually, when your talking about benton, isn't it best if you just say, if your black, don't even drive through town...much less speed....that's been my experience....i avoid it-

Chestnut Mountain, GA

#5 Aug 16, 2008
GOOD avoid it. That's the idea, I'm sure!

#6 Aug 18, 2008
benton is a screwed up little place with a bunch of florida yankee converts moving up there as fast as they can. the red neck hick population that populate the police force have nothing better to do than try to catch speeders. they certainly aint going to move fast enough to get any real criminals. stay away from the place. simple as that. they may be a step up from cleveland, but all being said, it still aint a place worth your time to visit.
Love the south

Lake Orion, MI

#7 Aug 20, 2008
I was born and raised around Benton and Ocoee,but I now live in Michigan. I also have property in Reliance and bank accounts at Benton Bank. I am still called a Yankee when I am down there,but still treated with southern hospitality. I have Michigan plates and Tennessee Volunteers decals on my back window and a front Volunteers license plate. I wonder where I will stand if I get stopped for speeding?(haha). Just slow down going through town. It's actually a nice little place and very friendly people. And I kinda like the "rednecks". If you don't like the atmosphere,I guess you could stay on I-75.

Chattanooga, TN

#8 Aug 24, 2008
I think Benton should just be detoured off the map, pave a new road around it and let it dry up and blow away like it should.

Pigeon Forge, TN

#9 Sep 9, 2008
Well here,s a twist for all of you.A few years back i was doing 50 in a 35 zone through down town benton and was pulled over and issued a ticket.While the officer wrote the ticket he asked me to come to court to dispose of it I told him I lived in georgia and wasnt going to drive 40 miles to pay it I would mail the fine to them.He then explained that he had called the stop in before giving the ticket and was therefore reqired to issue it to me BUT the fact that i did not deny I was speeding or try to argue with him he wanted me to come to court and he would speak with the judge and try getting it dismissed.3 weeks later when I went to court thats exactly what he did.......so guess how fast I drive in benton nowdays.....WHAT EVER THAT SPEED LIMIT SIGN SAYS TO. And if that officer ever reads this post...........AGAIN....THANK YOU.

United States

#10 Oct 18, 2008
Benton, TN is just a backward little town where the people all stare at you when they see you. I've never seen any other place like it on earth. They need to get a life and realize how RUDE staring is.

#11 Oct 19, 2008
..........Ah them there people down yunner in Benton is a little backard but they meen well .They are just sizun ye up so they know if ye are a yankee or a hillbillie. They wanna know if they is somewthin they can trade ye out of or if they wanna jis take it from ye ....Ha ha hey.
Palin-Cruella DeVille

United States

#12 Oct 26, 2008
Oldfort wrote:
Benton, TN is just a backward little town where the people all stare at you when they see you. I've never seen any other place like it on earth. They need to get a life and realize how RUDE staring is.
What else do they have to do?
Love Tennessee

Clearwater, FL

#13 Oct 26, 2008
Sounds a little like Copperhill as far as giving out traffic tickets. I guess these little po-dunk towns got to raise revenue somehow.

Since: Mar 08

Breaux Bridge, LA

#14 Nov 7, 2008
Oldfort wrote:
Old Fort, you might take a look at yourself, you sound a little up tight.
There are a lot of Crack Heads that come through Benton Tn.
You sound as if you might fit right in that group.
In fact if truth be known, my guess is that you get stared at a lot.
People seldom see a arse hole up close.

Charlotte, NC

#15 Nov 7, 2008
I live in Benton, well actually just outside of the city limits. I take offense to that "Backwards little town". I don't like the cops either but not all of us are yankees or rednecks we are just normal people, and don't like to be judged by somebody who doesn't know the people here. Also, as far as what else do we have to do. There is plenty to do besides staring.

Columbus, GA

#16 Nov 12, 2008
I think speeders should get a citation. That goes for ALL speeders. What makes me mad is cops zipping around without lights or sirens activated. Police seem to think that they are from another planet or something and are special. To me, they perform a job that is needed and someone has to do it. Also, someone has to deliver my mail, make my toilet paper, pick my corn, and a kazillion other jobs. Perhaps a reality check should be given. IF citizens see police breaking the law simply arrest them. Place them under a citizens arrest (completely lawful in Tennesee) and naturally they will bully you. This is where your buddy is with you with a video cam. Simply say, okay, thanks for resisting the arrest and go swear out a criminal summons (law changed that citizens can't get an arrest warrant anymore). Naturally, in small podunct towns the clerk will want to NOT issue the criminal summons, but you press the issue and do so with video. Sure enough the summons will issue and the cop served. He will then have to go to court or have a bench warrant issued on him. The judge will scoff you and dismiss the summons and they all will snear and laugh at you. This is to be expected because contray to what you people believe, law does NOT apply equally. Either make a stand or not. I did this exact same thing and had a Ruger .40 cal strapped on my side with a lawful carry permit. Sure, the cop tried to intimidate me but in the end I found it funny to see the nervous grins at court. At the end of the day my video was brought to the council and I addressed the issue to the mayor. After letting my intentions of going door to door to obtain enough signatures to recall him he all of a sudden saw things my way, or should I say the RIGHT and FAIR way and ordered the chief perform a counseling session. The ending to this story is I never lived in the town at all, i was merely passing thru...

Be a big dog and don't let the sun glasses, the "verbal judo" and all those other in service classes they learn scare you. Remember, lead, follow or get out of the way... Which one are you?
Wild Cat Fan

United States

#17 Nov 21, 2008
You should never speed anywhere. Speed limits are for a reason. If your are in that big a hurry, you should have left yesterday.

Lawrenceville, GA

#18 Nov 26, 2008
I have driven through Benton several times on 411 on my way to Etowah. Because I have Georgia plates, I know they are looking out for unsuspecting commuters. I choose the word commuters because going through those towns will confuse you if you are trying to drive within the speed limit. It can go from 55 mph to 35 to 25 and then back up to 55 mph. Try to decrease speed when entering into any small town on 411 and you will be safe. They have to gain revenues anyway possible. So if you don't speed ...you are good to go! And if your melanin/hue is darker than a tan....BE CAREFUL.

Cedar Knolls, NJ

#19 Dec 28, 2008
bump wrote:
I think Benton should just be detoured off the map, pave a new road around it and let it dry up and blow away like it should.
Please stay out of Benton if that's your attitude. As far as the speed trap goes, just don't speed. I've lived and traveled through for 25 years, never been stopped because I don't speed through there.
Love the south

Paw Paw, MI

#20 Jan 5, 2009
For those of you that don't like being stared at-(like I said before)-stay on I-75. This is one of the things that I love about the south. People relaxing,sitting on their porches or storefront benches,waving as people go by,and "yes" staring at me. Lot better than the hustle and bustle of a large city where people walk right by you and don't even acknowledge that you were there!! Yeah,I think that I not only like to be stared at,but I love it!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cleveland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
looking for a young lady 15 hr daddy 1
News Church of God of Prophecy rethinks position aga... (Aug '06) 23 hr Jim Shoe 875
Luanne Winn (Mar '17) Tue ConcernedCitizen 15
News Cleveland Receives $10,000,000 For Wastewater C... Tue Maggie 2
News Bruce Delanie Mendenhall, 66, of Albion, Illinois Mon DeDominicis 2
News breaking Mendenhall gets guilty verdict Mon DeDominicis 3
News Cracker Barrel Launches Three New Menu Items De... Mon Resident 2

Cleveland Jobs

Personal Finance

Cleveland Mortgages