TRW Automotive Workers Strike in Lebanon

TRW Automotive Workers Strike in Lebanon

There are 390 comments on the WZTV Top Stories story from Aug 26, 2013, titled TRW Automotive Workers Strike in Lebanon. In it, WZTV Top Stories reports that:

Stream our newscasts LIVE starting with TN Mornings at 5am and News at 9pm. LEBANON, Tenn.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZTV Top Stories.

Concerned Citizen

Hendersonville, TN

#103 Sep 4, 2013
good idea wrote:
Dude they come tried it in Mexico they could not do it
Give me a break. Plants in Mexico and China do a better job for less money. The real winners from this strike will be the stock holders and the CEO when the plant is shut down. The losers will be everyone in Lebanon who benefit from the income generated by TRW (all of us). They can churn out a zillion perfect iPhones practically hand made in a month at one Chinese plant. Don't start thinking you are irreplaceable. The closed plants around you are proof. They build many of our vehicles in Mexico and have been for years. The quality has just gotten better and better. The unions chased those jobs right out of the country. They are not coming back.

Do you know what it is like in the real world? Most of us are working more hours for less pay and we all pay more for healthcare. The "Affordable Care Act" will make it more expensive for most of us to have insurance in 2014 than it was in 2013. My own premiums are obscene. This is not going away - the world has changed in the last 30 years. If you think you deserve what workers had in the 50's, WAKE UP! You will end up with nothing and you WILL end up working for less and you WILL pay more for insurance. No strike will change that.

The thing that SHOULD offend you is the union dues coming out of your check to pay for buildings and employees to "look out for your best interests"

$28 million of his "income" is stock gains. You understand that if the company does not do well that he loses the money? Would you be willing to risk your own income on the performance of the company? The company has performed well under him and his stock has more value. Would you be willing to take a raise in the form of stock options?

It is baffling that people cannot understand these simple concepts.

Concerned Citizen
Anonomous from Michigan

Lebanon, TN

#104 Sep 4, 2013
Resident wrote:
The next thing you know, the UAW will want the Constitution changed to state: We the people are entitled to life, liberty, and successful people's money.
Well they tried in Michigan it was put to vote to guarantee they could never be ousted from a company, well that didn't pass by a wide margin and right after that the governor and the legislature passed right to work.
The Authority

Portland, TN

#105 Sep 4, 2013
To all the negative gay republicans on here ....may the fleas of a 1000 camels find your tent !!! THIS FIGHT WE SHALL WIN
NoMoreNails

Franklin, TN

#106 Sep 4, 2013
The throwing of nails on the ground is in fact true, not all people have the kind of money to change out 4 tires because of living paycheck to paycheck so please stop this childish behaviour. It's not fair to innocent people who don't have a dog in this fight who might still have to turn into the parking lot for various reasons!
Wrong Facts

Mount Juliet, TN

#107 Sep 5, 2013
Get your facts straight. The CEO of TRW has a 1.9 million dollar salary. The other 26 million is stock options and pension benefits.
it cant add

Maryville, TN

#108 Sep 5, 2013
so you tell Forbes about your new math

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2012/12/ceo-compe...

41 million is 41 million
Wrong Facts wrote:
Get your facts straight. The CEO of TRW has a 1.9 million dollar salary. The other 26 million is stock options and pension benefits.
Take a look

Lebanon, TN

#109 Sep 5, 2013
it cant add wrote:
so you tell Forbes about your new math
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2012/12/ceo-compe...
41 million is 41 million
<quoted text>
I think you should look at the website you posted. It says salary is $1.87 million, stock gains is $27.94 million.
fomeremployee

Lebanon, TN

#110 Sep 5, 2013
This strike will be settled in the not to distant future, UAW will grow tired of paying out strike pay and come to agreement with the company,people will grow tired of not having enough money to live as they have been use to living and will vote for what ever is put before them, the committee will say that is the best they can get and at least one of them will get a job as a supervisor and no body will benefit for all of that sacrifice but UAW and they will still be collecting their dues just the same.
it cant add

Maryville, TN

#111 Sep 5, 2013
you should and learn basic math.........

41 million bucks is 41 million bucks
Take a look wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you should look at the website you posted. It says salary is $1.87 million, stock gains is $27.94 million.
trw worker

Gallatin, TN

#112 Sep 6, 2013
what upsets us when we are striking for our lively hoods and people make comments who have no clue.Yes we do have workers making 18 dollars an hour anyone making more than that is a skilled trades maint. or tool room journeyman. What your not telling is TRW is hiring workers for less than 12 dollars an hour and having to pay enormous money for insurance.If you want insurance for a 80/20 plan a family plan is 140 dollars upwards 200 dollars a WEEK for insurance. Im sorry the way i see it take that off a less than 12 dollar an hour job and i call that poverty.We are fighting for the 12 dollar jobs as well as 18.You take that off 18 dollar job and thats not too great either.Why do we stay yes its used to be a great place to work with great benifits here. We are like family.We have from 40 year to 1 year employees, but we are making less than we were 20 years ago with all the benifits we have lost and nominal wage increases.1% raises and 10%plusincreases in what we have to pay for our benefits.We have given up alot to keep our company competive but the ones writing our checks make millions a year while we sruggle to make them richer.The income for our CEO last year averaged out to 17,000 dollars an hour. im sorry thats corporate greed any way you look at it.
right

Maryville, TN

#113 Sep 6, 2013
the workers would be willing to have stock option packages like the upper wealth extracting brass... there ain't no way the upper echelons will ever offer the workers any form of ownership as that kind of control goes against the plan

he gets roughly 10 mil a year and has at risk 30 mil, really, where is this huge risk you seem intent of dramatically presenting?

what does he really walk away with if he jets today?

more than you make in your entire lifetime.

I can assure you one year of 1 mil a year and I wouldn't have to do shit for quite some time
Concerned Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Give me a break. Plants in Mexico and China do a better job for less money. The real winners from this strike will be the stock holders and the CEO when the plant is shut down. The losers will be everyone in Lebanon who benefit from the income generated by TRW (all of us). They can churn out a zillion perfect iPhones practically hand made in a month at one Chinese plant. Don't start thinking you are irreplaceable. The closed plants around you are proof. They build many of our vehicles in Mexico and have been for years. The quality has just gotten better and better. The unions chased those jobs right out of the country. They are not coming back.
Do you know what it is like in the real world? Most of us are working more hours for less pay and we all pay more for healthcare. The "Affordable Care Act" will make it more expensive for most of us to have insurance in 2014 than it was in 2013. My own premiums are obscene. This is not going away - the world has changed in the last 30 years. If you think you deserve what workers had in the 50's, WAKE UP! You will end up with nothing and you WILL end up working for less and you WILL pay more for insurance. No strike will change that.
The thing that SHOULD offend you is the union dues coming out of your check to pay for buildings and employees to "look out for your best interests"
$28 million of his "income" is stock gains. You understand that if the company does not do well that he loses the money? Would you be willing to risk your own income on the performance of the company? The company has performed well under him and his stock has more value. Would you be willing to take a raise in the form of stock options?
It is baffling that people cannot understand these simple concepts.
Concerned Citizen
Take a look

Lebanon, TN

#114 Sep 6, 2013
it cant add wrote:
you should and learn basic math.........
41 million bucks is 41 million bucks
<quoted text>
Once a Democrat, always a Democrat. People like you are what is wrong with America. Go back to third grade reading class and buy some reading glasses. There is always one idiot in the bunch and you proved my point.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#116 Sep 6, 2013
Anyway you look at and what people have been posting these are Economical Strikers and they are going to loose if the NLRB is involved and seen too many plants where the union members were on strike for the same issues and were terminated and replaced by permanent workers since the NLRB ruled in favor of the Employers.

Here is the Definition of a Economical Striker from the US Dept of Labor

economic striker

If the object of a strike is to obtain from the employer an economic concession such as higher wages, shorter hours, or better working conditions, the striking employees are called economic strikers.

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/eta/warn/glossary.as...
right

Maryville, TN

#117 Sep 6, 2013
what a stinging comeback from an entity severely challenged in the field of mathematics and would quickly find itself well out of it's league if comparing brain buckets or educations to my own.

I certainly am enlightened enough that I am neither dem or repub, but, nice try at trying to paint me as something you may have the ability to understand.

Of course you are right, their fearless CEO, who risks so very much, does deserve more than 1000 times per hour that of any of his workers.

He worked so hard to get his pissy ass bachelors degree and clearly he has extraterrestrial lineage.

Now you run along and go worship at the altars of the super wealthy, of which you are not, and who indeed are much more clever than you so as to even brainwash you into thinking their de facto and outright ownership of this nation are in it's best interests and yours too!

They've already outsourced any ability you have to think for yourself so be a good tool and comply with any methods they perpetrate upon you to make you useful to their further acquisitions.

Maybe you should resort to violence?
Take a look wrote:
<quoted text>
Once a Democrat, always a Democrat. People like you are what is wrong with America. Go back to third grade reading class and buy some reading glasses. There is always one idiot in the bunch and you proved my point.

Location hidden

#118 Sep 6, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
Anyway you look at and what people have been posting these are Economical Strikers and they are going to loose if the NLRB is involved and seen too many plants where the union members were on strike for the same issues and were terminated and replaced by permanent workers since the NLRB ruled in favor of the Employers.
Here is the Definition of a Economical Striker from the US Dept of Labor
economic striker
If the object of a strike is to obtain from the employer an economic concession such as higher wages, shorter hours, or better working conditions, the striking employees are called economic strikers.
http://www.dol.gov/elaws/eta/warn/glossary.as...
Strikes under the National Labor Relations Act The National Labor Relations Act of 1935 (NLRA) provides that employees have a right to engage in certain "concerted activities," which include strikes, for the purpose of collective bargaining or other mutual aid or protection. The NLRA also specifies that it should not be interpreted to impede or diminish employees' rights to strike. The NLRA does, however, place limits upon this right. Under the NLRA some strikes are legal and some are not. Whether or not a strike is legal depends on the purpose of the strike, its timing, and the conduct of the strikers. These issues must often be determined by the National Labor Relations Board, which is tasked with overseeing implementation of the NLRA.

Lawful Strikes There are two main categories of lawful strikes:

-Economic strikes

-Unfair labor practice strikes.

Employees conducting an economic strike are seeking to obtain an economic benefit, such as higher pay or better hours, from their employer. These employees, called economic strikers, maintain their jobs and cannot be fired. An employer may, however, replace the economic strikers. If the employer has filled a striking employee's position with a bona fide permanent replacement at the time the striker applies unconditionally to go back to work, the striker is not entitled to immediate reinstatement. If the employee does not find substantially equivalent employment, however, he or she is entitled to be recalled to a job for which he or she is qualified as such openings occur. The employee must, however, have made a formal request for reinstatement.

http://www.stavinemploymentlaw.com/newsletter...
who

Maryville, TN

#119 Sep 6, 2013
bought those laws?

The same people who surreptitiously performed anyone's spinectomy that doesn't question why any one person is entitled to vulgar amounts of compensation at the cost of having workers do without an actual living wage and the necessities of life.

Drag the bastards out and hold them accountable. Since when has it really become acceptable to enslave your fellow man to directly enrich yourself and your frat buddies well beyond reasonable?

You're not one of them and never will be so there is nothing wrong with getting fairly compensated if a tiny handful can for a fact be vulgarly overly-compensated.

These people aren't striking to get wealthy and the government's idea that 10-12K a year is poverty is pure bunk.

3 times that for a single person is poverty and you'll need for much, that's why the full ride federal entitlement package is about 34,000.

Some people even believe the Walton's earned their masses of money honorably. Of course, those six really should have as much or more wealth than more than the lower 40% of all Americans.
TRW Lebanon TN

Cookeville, TN

#120 Sep 6, 2013
Get Real! Unless you are involved in this strike and work at this company, you have no clue what is going on, and why these hard working union members decided to strike. It isn't always about "THE MONEY!" Family time and quality of life is more important to a lot of these workers! I don't think most of the nay sayers on here, would like missing their children growing up, going to school functions, spending time with their spouses, either.
For those of you who say, "If we are not happy find a job somewhere else." Why should we? Why should we give up years we have invested in a company working our tails off and helping build this company to where it is today? TRW needs to respect and be loyal to their employees, just as the employees have been to them. Why do you think we took all those concessions in 2008? Because we wanted to "save our jobs" and save "TRW!" If we had not taken concessions, when the economoy was so bad, the plant might have closed. Now TRW has rebounded back, making millions on millions and all we want is some of what we lost and more time off. Is that so hard to understand? Apparently it is to a lot of people on this board. Until you have walked in my shoes, don't judge me, or my fellow strikers, for what you really do not have a clue about.
really

Maryville, TN

#121 Sep 6, 2013
what amuses me is the same people objecting to their neighbors getting a fair shake from today's typical corporate scumbags, have ZERO problem with them and their other neighbors working all manners of government jobs paid far more for much less work.

How many do you have working in your own local government making 50K or better a year with barely a high school education and likely lacking the good sense to pour piss out of a boot with the instructions written on the heel?

Any objectors who are employed by the people need to step back and consider how much higher over the median income for this area you are compensate, and for what, the rest of your lives?

And your owed that why?

Because you're special?
TRW Lebanon TN wrote:
Get Real! Unless you are involved in this strike and work at this company, you have no clue what is going on, and why these hard working union members decided to strike. It isn't always about "THE MONEY!" Family time and quality of life is more important to a lot of these workers! I don't think most of the nay sayers on here, would like missing their children growing up, going to school functions, spending time with their spouses, either.
For those of you who say, "If we are not happy find a job somewhere else." Why should we? Why should we give up years we have invested in a company working our tails off and helping build this company to where it is today? TRW needs to respect and be loyal to their employees, just as the employees have been to them. Why do you think we took all those concessions in 2008? Because we wanted to "save our jobs" and save "TRW!" If we had not taken concessions, when the economoy was so bad, the plant might have closed. Now TRW has rebounded back, making millions on millions and all we want is some of what we lost and more time off. Is that so hard to understand? Apparently it is to a lot of people on this board. Until you have walked in my shoes, don't judge me, or my fellow strikers, for what you really do not have a clue about.
one who knows

Atlanta, GA

#122 Sep 6, 2013
I heard that they came to an agreement and the union is supposed to vote on it Saturday which is tomorrow so it looks like a strike should be over with by Sunday...anyone care to comment on that

Location hidden

#123 Sep 6, 2013
one who knows wrote:
I heard that they came to an agreement and the union is supposed to vote on it Saturday which is tomorrow so it looks like a strike should be over with by Sunday...anyone care to comment on that
Strike at Lebanon TRW site may end soon

Union set to vote on TRW agreement

Sara McManamy-Johnson

Lebanon

Sep 5, 2013

A nearly two-week strike at Lebanon’s TRW facility may soon end.

Kevin Huddleston, a UAW spokesperson and former Lebanon City Council member said workers will vote Friday on a proposed agreement between the union and company management.

Huddleston said the two parties reached a tentative agreement early Thursday morning after meeting multiple times to hash out terms.

Nearly 400 workers have been on strike at the commercial steering systems production facility since Aug.25, when the parties failed to reach an agreement during prior negotiations.

Huddleston said workers want higher pay, as well as better health care and retirement benefits.

“People who are starting out now are making less than when I started 20 years ago,” Huddleston said.“A woman who starts now would be below the poverty level, working for a corporation that makes millions.”

The current strike is the first in recent memory at Lebanon TRW.

“I do not know the last time there was a strike at Lebanon,” said TRW spokesperson John Wilkerson.“I have been part of the TRW since 1999 and don’t recall any in that time.”

http://www.lebanondemocrat.com/article/busine...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cleveland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to Jeremy Sams 1 hr Annabelle 2
Looking for best place to buy mattress? 10 hr Buddy 1
Ronnie Goad 13 hr Who 3
Wacker is evil, a puppet of the E.U, new Roman ... Sat housestark 4
Mother like daughters economics vs love Sat Amy 1
Kandi Ray Fri Bereal 4
Zero Doubt Thu Lizardzs 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cleveland Mortgages