TRW Automotive Workers Strike in Lebanon

Aug 26, 2013 Full story: WZTV Top Stories 390

Stream our newscasts LIVE starting with TN Mornings at 5am and News at 9pm. LEBANON, Tenn.

Full Story
we support you

United States

#61 Aug 30, 2013
As I drove by with a group of kids ages 5 to 10 today they waved at you. I explained why you ll where standing out there. My 7 yr okd niece said that makes since.. she wanted to hand you ll money out the window for u ll to have drinks. So question is how many of you ll are usually out there during the day. You ll may have a group of kids showing up with drinks ...soon
Third Coast

Houston, TX

#62 Aug 31, 2013
An automotive workers strike in Lebanon? Wow, most of the time it's just missile strikes.(smirks)
Third Coast

Houston, TX

#63 Aug 31, 2013
Yeah, I know, I know. It's Lebanon, Tennessee. It's a joke. That's why I put the smirk in there.
scab

Fayetteville, NC

#66 Aug 31, 2013
we support you wrote:
As I drove by with a group of kids ages 5 to 10 today they waved at you. I explained why you ll where standing out there. My 7 yr okd niece said that makes since.. she wanted to hand you ll money out the window for u ll to have drinks. So question is how many of you ll are usually out there during the day. You ll may have a group of kids showing up with drinks ...soon
there is any where from 30 to 50 we switch up ever 4 hrs we don't expect anything your support an honk isenough thanks an god bless
Confederate Soldier

United States

#67 Aug 31, 2013
we support you wrote:
keep your kids away from the picket line that's no place for kids to be trouble may happen at any moment
concerned on looker

Lebanon, TN

#68 Sep 2, 2013
How long do you think the strike will last? It doesn't seem like the company is making any changes and I just can't see standing on a picket line all day and then getting nothing in return. It must be hard to support a family when your not making any money. I know they know why your striking but you also need food on the table so you all can eat. Just my opinion. Just swallow your pride and get back to working. It's the right thing to do. You really should have taken their first offer and then you could be celebrating Labor Day with you families. You all are dealing with a very large company that can close your plant down and move the machines elsewhere. Then where would you be?

Since: Aug 13

Huntersville, NC

#69 Sep 2, 2013
I do wanna say please watch the kids that have been out there.... not that I'm afraid of violence breaking out but because of distracted drivers. I seen a truck have to lock his brakes up yesterday and swerve because he wasn't paying attention to the road. I don't want anybody hurt, especially somebody's baby.
IRONMAN

Terre Haute, IN

#70 Sep 2, 2013
My best wishes sent out to the TRW employees that are on strike. I applaud you all for your efforts to keep the American Dream viable. Too bad that there are those who are willing to leave the plant in Marshall, IL to cross the picket line just for their own financial gain. I am already hearing that there are some who have been there only a few days and they are finding out that it is a bit more physical than they are used to, and the work conditions are not as good.(They are finding out that Lebanon isn't as easy as Auburn.) They are READY to come back to Illinois. I stand strong with you !
trw worker

Sweetwater, TN

#71 Sep 2, 2013
IRONMAN wrote:
My best wishes sent out to the TRW employees that are on strike. I applaud you all for your efforts to keep the American Dream viable. Too bad that there are those who are willing to leave the plant in Marshall, IL to cross the picket line just for their own financial gain. I am already hearing that there are some who have been there only a few days and they are finding out that it is a bit more physical than they are used to, and the work conditions are not as good.(They are finding out that Lebanon isn't as easy as Auburn.) They are READY to come back to Illinois. I stand strong with you !
thanks man
Yet another TRW worker

Terre Haute, IN

#72 Sep 2, 2013
Completely disgusted and ashamed of the workers from Marshall,that let dollar signs lead them to cross your picket line. Hoping that the workers from TN prevail and that if there is such a thing as karma that it bites the Marshall team in the rear.
UAW house

Lafayette, TN

#73 Sep 2, 2013
trw worker wrote:
move it we don't care its will cost them a lot of money either way
You really think they haven't considered opening a shop in the tax free NAFTA zone (Like use-to-be UAW "Paccar") or even worse..... China?

If Hostess and Peterbilt shut down and left TN and the Union high and dry.... what makes you think TRW won't do the same?
ChumbaWumba

Kingsport, TN

#74 Sep 2, 2013
SCABS for life! UAW sucks....get back to work or we'll just do the job for ya....
UAW house

Lafayette, TN

#75 Sep 2, 2013
concerned on looker wrote:
How long do you think the strike will last? It doesn't seem like the company is making any changes and I just can't see standing on a picket line all day and then getting nothing in return. It must be hard to support a family when your not making any money. I know they know why your striking but you also need food on the table so you all can eat. Just my opinion. Just swallow your pride and get back to working. It's the right thing to do. You really should have taken their first offer and then you could be celebrating Labor Day with you families. You all are dealing with a very large company that can close your plant down and move the machines elsewhere. Then where would you be?
UAW bought Peterbilt Employees (the extremely hard up one-income-only) groceries before PACCAR ceased all operations.

Hopefully they remain good to their members and aren't in it for the Dues
UAW house

Lafayette, TN

#76 Sep 2, 2013
nosweat wrote:
<quoted text>Don't worry about insurance Obama has fixed that for you.
Obama the UAW suporter
UAW house

Lafayette, TN

#77 Sep 2, 2013
bill haslem wrote:
----------
I pay $68/month for my Blue Cross Blue Shield. I carry my own insurance. My employer charges $105/month for the same coverage rates & network.

Shopping around beats stupidity.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#78 Sep 2, 2013
UAW house wrote:
<quoted text>
I pay $68/month for my Blue Cross Blue Shield. I carry my own insurance. My employer charges $105/month for the same coverage rates & network.
Shopping around beats stupidity.
I know other people that way too that pay for their own insurance and get their Health Insurance cheaper on their own than through their employers which I think alot of employers are actually screwing their own employees and employees are not smart enough to realize it.
Here is an idea

Lebanon, TN

#79 Sep 3, 2013
Get off your butt and go back to work. You look like fools standing out there. I noticed no one mentions that the average wage is $20 an hour because that will screw up your credibility with the community. If you do not like the hours or the wages, quit and go find another job. STOP COMPLAINING!

I want to know what idiot brought their kid to the picket line. You should be arrested for child endangerment.
Striking IS GENIUS

Lexington, TN

#80 Sep 3, 2013
You are across the street from a closed luggage manufacturer, 100 yards from a closed plastics facility, 1 mile from a closed TV plant.
Do you know how much more the CEO will make if your plant is in Mexico? You can bet the calculations have been done and it is MUCH MORE! The fact that the facility is still in Lebanon is a testament to the commitment of TRW to the community and the workers.
I hope you realize that this is a polite community. A bunch of people standing on the sidewalk waving and screaming generates an automatic response. Believe me the community would prefer to see that place humming instead of shut down. You don't have the community support you claim.
Look at Detroit! Flint! Cleveland! Upstate NY! How did the unions serve those communities?
I don't know anything about your plant. I am in the community though and each day taking the kids to school, I see you out there - stopping production on a productive plant, forcing a response from motorists who just want to get to their job without being harassed.
It is a great lesson for my kids so I am grateful for that. It is so easy to point to vacant plants and illustrate the benefits of NAFTA to these companies. Meanwhile the union has duped you into thinking they are helping you.
It is really disappointing for the citizens of Lebanon though. Just think about it. It is OK to disagree with me and keep fighting the good fight. Just recognize historically how that has worked out for others.
Concerned Citizen
good idea

Sweetwater, TN

#81 Sep 3, 2013
Dude they come tried it in Mexico they could not do it
union strong

Smyrna, SC

#82 Sep 3, 2013
Stay strong and stay together I was on a 16 wk strike few yrs ago and scab after scab kept crossing our lines the company was paying 3 times wages to them just to keep us out.... no one is going 2 win but stay together with so many scabs crossing don't let them lie the company is loosing a lost of money.. the longer it goes on the more dangerous it will be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cleveland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Strong Gas Smell 1 hr Website Operator 4
Why Is CLEVELAND BANNER Constantly Promoting Wa... (May '12) 8 hr suzy 17
low Wed bee nut 1
Crooks of cleveland Tue Johnny Yuma 1
rosekay arnold Tue From here 15
Wilson County Sheriff Dept Dec 22 cry_me_a_river 12
Radio Dec 21 hap 1
Cleveland Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web