Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

#105621 Nov 1, 2013
Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not seeking to declare a victory on this debate OT. We simply have different viewpoints. It wouldn't please me more to be able to share what industry I am in and relate some of my experiences with import regulations, ocean freight, import duties, etc. I don't feel comfortable revealing my industry or my retail category. I would like nothing more than to be able to purchase goods from U.S. manufacturers. Nothing is worse than dealing with the Chinese. Second to the Chinese are freight brokers in terms of inefficiency. I posted earlier describing a governmental program called the GSP. This program not only does not levy tariffs, it actually eliminates all import duties for several countries. This has been going on for years across numerous administrations. I will opt to purchase some goods based on the advantageous terms of this program, and sometimes, have purchased goods from one of these countries only to learn the program has temporarily elapsed. The end result is thousands of dollars of import duties I was not counting on and I would not have purchased the goods knowing the GSP program had elapsed. The government gets the import duties, I have goods I cannot sell due to their high price, and Americans are doing without the jobs associated with manufacturing these goods. It is a lose-lose situation all the way around and the objective of the program is to aid developing countries. Well, what about this country? This is one of the reasons I have a distaste for many government regulations.
In my opinion, true manufacturing jobs are never going to come back to the U.S. It is my belief that we have too much regulation, too many labor taxes, etc. to competitively manufacture commodities at the global market rate. I don't like it, but I think I am being realistic. T.V.'s are now made in Korea and Japan because they make better t.v.'s. I think this is because we make a better product in these categories. We also are superior in software development and computers. The goods I sell are mainly commodities now and any country can make them. Therefore, price prevails. That means I must import most of my products. The federal government used to impose tariffs on foreign factories in my industry but gave up. They simply didn't work.
In my opinion, if we are going to regulate manufacturing and task businesses with healthcare, unemployment, etc., then we should focus on manufacturing products that the world wants to buy and is willing to pay more for them. Trying to regulate the world's goods in my opinion simply won't work. It hasn't thus far. Develop a car that the world wants to buy and desires, we will start exporting more cars. If someone were to develop a synthetic fabric that is superior in durablity, cost and looks, then we would have more fabric mills and more people would buy clothes, upholstery, etc. from the U.S. We haven't had a lot of creativity in the past 20 or so years. My two cents.
I never thought you were SEEKING to declare victory "Pete" ! I simply pointed out that there is no way to test the tariff system that I want instituted since there are no politicians willing to renegotiate "free" trade agreements into fair trade agreements. Consequently, the debate is really not worth having....
The result of this reality is that government MUST pick up the slack for those lost wages and benefits and subsidize the employment of people at Wal-Mart with food stamps, housing subsidies and healthcare. I would prefer my alternative but like you, I have come to the conclusion that those jobs aren't returning to the USA. Without them, government will increasingly be required to pick up the slack. Those millions who work and do not earn enough to meet Federal Poverty Standards, are being subsidized so that their employers can continue to prosper and yet those employers are NEVER vilified but those workers certainly are. In my opinion, that is not seeing the forest for the trees.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#105622 Nov 1, 2013
"Asian Economies Strengthen As Demand For Exports Grows."

Click here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/02/business/in...
Barry Obama Is a Failure

Greeneville, TN

#105623 Nov 1, 2013
So much for the "promised" transparency in this president's administration.....they won't even share enrollment numbers in the ACA.
Another lie about being transparent....President Pinocchio.

Ah, but CBS News has some numbers...

6 people enrolled on Day 1...the launch day.....that's right 6 whole people.

" Six.

That's how many people signed up for Obamacare on Day 1, according to CBS News, and no that's not a misprint.

The Obama administration has kept the number of enrollments close to the vest. Its touted the number of visitors to the troubled HealthCare.gov website – 4.7 million – but hasn't released the actual number of enrollments. "

http://news.yahoo.com/day-1-of-obamacare-yiel...

This is what you get when you appoint a "politician" to head a government rollout like the ACA.
Bayless

South Pittsburg, TN

#105624 Nov 1, 2013
SexySassySenior wrote:
Stupid TEApublican
Dumbass
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

#105625 Nov 1, 2013
Barry Obama Is a Failure wrote:
So much for the "promised" transparency in this president's administration.....they won't even share enrollment numbers in the ACA.
Another lie about being transparent....President Pinocchio.
Ah, but CBS News has some numbers...
6 people enrolled on Day 1...the launch day.....that's right 6 whole people.
" Six.
That's how many people signed up for Obamacare on Day 1, according to CBS News, and no that's not a misprint.
The Obama administration has kept the number of enrollments close to the vest. Its touted the number of visitors to the troubled HealthCare.gov website – 4.7 million – but hasn't released the actual number of enrollments. "
http://news.yahoo.com/day-1-of-obamacare-yiel...
This is what you get when you appoint a "politician" to head a government rollout like the ACA.
Obama promised more transparency in his presidency during the campaign MANY times.....and he hasn't delivered on that promise. You and I could go back through the campaign rhetoric of all modern presidents of both parties and the pile of broken promises would be high and wide. This is what happens when the reality of governing meets the idealism of campaigning.
I will make a prediction, the candidate you choose to vote for in 2016, should he or she win.....will not keep all of their campaign promises either. Some promises, he or she will know they can't (or won't) keep when they say them, others will not come to pass for other reasons....The trick is to pick someone who tells more of the latter than the former.
Bayless

South Pittsburg, TN

#105626 Nov 1, 2013
The Original Amused wrote:
It looks like the conservatives didn't offer any time for trick or treaters tonight. I guess they screamed at them and chased them away since they are stupid and lazy and didn't "earn" that candy.
Dumbass.

research has shown that conservatives donate about 30 percent more than do liberals. Interestingly, on average, conservatives earn less than liberals.

So - not only do conservatives give MORE to charity than dim-libs; they have LESS to give shat for brains.
Bayless

South Pittsburg, TN

#105627 Nov 1, 2013
Oh...I forgot...dim-libs are so generous, they'll give you the shirt off somebody else's back.
Ornery

Sparta, TN

#105628 Nov 1, 2013
Thinker wrote:
<quoted text>
Think slowly now, TN is one of the states that receives more in Federal dollars than they contribute.
Thinker:

this happens in several states where:

"This makes little sense in that the federal government seems to be suffering under the grand delusion that it is doing “something” by confiscating the wealth of Tennesseans, just to turn around and offer to give it back with conditions."

the whole article: http://tennessee.tenthamendmentcenter.com/200...

Yeah we need to get the gov. out of our back door. we have enough money here to take care of us. We are a RED State and that is not likey to change anytime soon.
Ornery

Sparta, TN

#105629 Nov 1, 2013
Dunlapian wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you "Thinker", I remember someone else on this board even posted a link to that fact.
They just don't get it, even if they think slowly.
liberal dunlapian:

no you don't get it. the gov needs to be smaller. you take my money that I have to live on and make a road or a bridge for the good of all and then you say look what we did. Well, now you can say Obamacare is here and it is good...Look what we did.

Location hidden

#105630 Nov 1, 2013
Bayless wrote:
<quoted text>
Dumbass.
research has shown that conservatives donate about 30 percent more than do liberals. Interestingly, on average, conservatives earn less than liberals.
So - not only do conservatives give MORE to charity than dim-libs; they have LESS to give shat for brains.
And yet, you offer NO SOURCE to back up your allegation. I guess we're just supposed to take your word for it. ROFLMFAO! Ha! Ha! Ha! LMAO! Take your word for it...that's the funniest thing I've ever heard...take a TEApublican's word for ANYTHING...LMAO...LOL...HA! Ha! Ha!

I DON'T THINK SO!
Ornery

Sparta, TN

#105631 Nov 1, 2013
Bayless wrote:
In Stalin's day - he just killed them.
Retired Army Maj. Gen. Patrick Brady, recipient of the U.S. military’s highest decoration, the Medal of Honor, as well as other top retired officers, say President Obama’s agenda is decimating the morale of the U.S. ranks to the point members no longer feel prepared to fight or have the desire to win.
“There is no doubt he (Obama) is intent on emasculating the military and will fire anyone who disagrees with him” over such issues as “homosexuals, women in foxholes, the Obama sequester,” Brady said.
“They are purging everyone, and if you want to keep your job, just keep your mouth shut,”
Retired Army Lt. Gen. William G.“Jerry” Boykin, who was with Delta Force and later Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence under President George W. Bush, says it is worrying that four-star generals are being retired at the rate that has occurred under Obama.
“Over the past three years, it is unprecedented for the number of four-star generals to be relieved of duty, and not necessarily relieved for cause,” Boykin said.
http://www.wnd.com/2013/10/top-generals-obama...
Hi Bayless: yes you are right and all any body has to look at is the countries that have a dictatorship now.Especially South America.. About all we have now is one more vote (2014) If it does not turn around then (vetoproof house and majority in Senate), we are doomed to repeat what those counties have become. Hail King Obama
Barry Obama Is a Failure

Greeneville, TN

#105632 Nov 1, 2013
Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> Obama promised more transparency in his presidency during the campaign MANY times.....and he hasn't delivered on that promise. You and I could go back through the campaign rhetoric of all modern presidents of both parties and the pile of broken promises would be high and wide. This is what happens when the reality of governing meets the idealism of campaigning.
I will make a prediction, the candidate you choose to vote for in 2016, should he or she win.....will not keep all of their campaign promises either. Some promises, he or she will know they can't (or won't) keep when they say them, others will not come to pass for other reasons....The trick is to pick someone who tells more of the latter than the former.
You are correct.
The problem I have with the current office holder is that he based his campaign on transparency.
I admitted on here a long time ago that I voted for him the first time around.(I don't like McCain or Palin.)
I voted for Mitt last election because I thought he would be a better executive / leader. I still believe that.
Before these 2 elections, I voted for "independents", even during the Reagan years.
I did vote for Jerry Ford over Carter.
And if given the choice, Barry or Hillary, I would take Barry. LOL
Bayless

South Pittsburg, TN

#105633 Nov 1, 2013
SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet, you offer NO SOURCE to back up your allegation. I guess we're just supposed to take your word for it. ROFLMFAO! Ha! Ha! Ha! LMAO! Take your word for it...that's the funniest thing I've ever heard...take a TEApublican's word for ANYTHING...LMAO...LOL...HA! Ha! Ha!
I DON'T THINK SO!
All I had to do was cast...and then wait for the dumb one to bite.

LOL...er...Chuckles

Independently-registered researcher and author Arthur Brooks, the author of "Who Really Cares", 2006 stated the exact words I posted in his book.

It was shown on ABC...http://abcnews.go.com/20 20/story?id=2682730&page=1

Hook. Line. Sinker.

Nice!

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#105634 Nov 1, 2013
Bayless wrote:
<quoted text>
Dumbass.
Source?
Ornery

Sparta, TN

#105635 Nov 1, 2013
SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
I DON'T THINK SO!
OH, ok look at George Sorros, Bill Gates, Al Gore, Warren, Apple, etc...etc...etc.

All we have is liberals in power to damn our country. They want more power enough to control a country.. Obama is the same way. To do this you have to control major portion of the American public. One Economy. and two healthcare are two of the major portions. Well Obamacare is going to control our healthcare, who lives and who die, and the economy is dying because of it. When it gets so far down, the gov.(Obama will take over businesses (i.e. GM)and so it will begin.

Have no doubt Sassy, they will have no pity on anyone who cannot contribute to the great society.They will let you die and blame it on someone else. Classic Collectivism and Classic Liberalism. It has been around for a while.

Don't take this conservatives word for it, look around you, Obamacare is the beginning and we are just into the second month of it.

Location hidden

#105636 Nov 1, 2013
TEApublicans can't help it...they're born with a Brain Defect that makes them totally incapable of having sympathy, empathy, or any ability to care anything about anybody, but themselves and money and material things. Their complete Self-worth is tied to those two things, money and material possessions.

I'm quite serious about that...their brains are different from ordinary Peoples' brains, who are capable of having Human Emotions.

There was a Scientific Study published about that, not long ago, that I read.
They simply can't help it...they're Brain-damaged from birth and that's what causes them to be the way they are.
I would say that they should be pitied, but if you do, they'll turn right around and use it against you. So, I can't recommend that.
Your only safe choice is to stay away from them, and KEEP THEM OUT OF PUBLIC OFFICE!
Ornery

Sparta, TN

#105637 Nov 1, 2013
Bayless wrote:
Oh...I forgot...dim-libs are so generous, they'll give you the shirt off somebody else's back.
Yeah Bayless, to tell the truth, they probably recycle the clothes right of a dead mans body (it it don't have too many holes in it) and say they have really done something.
Ornery

Sparta, TN

#105638 Nov 1, 2013
<quoted text>
Source?
read Bayless's quote at #105633
10 min ago
here now

Johnson City, TN

#105639 Nov 1, 2013
<quoted text>
Source?
Look BAYLESS, you caught another one!
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

#105640 Nov 1, 2013
Ornery wrote:
<quoted text>
liberal dunlapian:
no you don't get it. the gov needs to be smaller. you take my money that I have to live on and make a road or a bridge for the good of all and then you say look what we did. Well, now you can say Obamacare is here and it is good...Look what we did.
Well ornery today you got your wish.....well sort of. I was just driving through the mountains and looking at the Fall foliage, while listening to N.P.R. The government is getting just a little bit smaller, as today they are reducing foodstamps by 5%. Now don't think for a second you are going to start paying less tax.
It just means that some Americans will be buying 5% less when they go to buy food. That just means they will skip buying that dozen eggs or that pack of hot dogs for the weekend, while others will be following suit. That means we will need less than 5% fewer truckers, farmers ect.
Oh yeah and about your dig with Obamacare, as with even one of our huge top of the line warships, when she is built and first touches the water, she is nowhere ready for operation by the Navy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cleveland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 1 hr Steve 9,453
Stop the Mayor's Sale Tax Increase! 6 hr Save our City 2
Pastor Tony Balding makes wild claims... (Apr '12) 7 hr Tommy 30
Gas Main Break 12 hr Anonymous 1
Lebanon Tn. (Mar '07) Sun homeiswherethehea... 27
Christina Thomas (May '10) Sun Hammrick 65
Drug Task Force agent arrested in Bradley Count... (Jun '08) Sep 16 Why want harm 26
•••
•••
•••

Cleveland Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Cleveland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Cleveland News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Cleveland