Census puts poverty rate in Buffalo a...

Census puts poverty rate in Buffalo at 28.7%, one of highest in nation

There are 49 comments on the www.buffalonews.com story from Aug 27, 2008, titled Census puts poverty rate in Buffalo at 28.7%, one of highest in nation. In it, www.buffalonews.com reports that:

Detroit’s poverty rate of 33.8 percent was the highest among cities with more than 250,000 people, followed by Cleveland, at 29.5 percent; Buffalo; El Paso, Texas, 27.4; Memphis, 26.2; Miami, 25.5; Milwaukee, 24.4; Newark, 23.9; Philadelphia, 23.8; and Cincinnati, 23.5

More than one out of four people in Buffalo are poor, according to the latest estimates by the U. S. Census Bureau.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.buffalonews.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#2 Aug 27, 2008
bilbo baggins wrote:
How many of the "poor" are young unmarried women with multiple kids and multiple boyfriends?
Do your sisters live there?
Life Coach

AOL

#3 Aug 27, 2008
bilbo baggins wrote:
How many of the "poor" are young unmarried women with multiple kids and multiple boyfriends?
Most of them

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#4 Aug 27, 2008
Okay, so, what's the point of the story, Mr_Bill?

Preparing us for the "Obama/Biden great American wealth transfer"?

“Enough Drama”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#5 Aug 27, 2008
bilbo baggins wrote:
How come it has to be young unmarried women with multiple boyfriends, what about men with no education, back problems, drunks, and drug addicts etc. Don't just single out one group of poor include them all.

Wonder why husbands loves to be with these poor unmarried women with multiple babies by them as well?

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#6 Aug 27, 2008
more bush / cheney failure
flat

Gregory, AR

#7 Aug 27, 2008
what about me? please go to www.factcheck.org

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#8 Aug 27, 2008
So..... what happened to those 170,000 jobs Hillary promised to bring to New York if she were elected senator there?
noshellswill

Jacksonville, FL

#9 Aug 27, 2008
dgshiner wrote:
<quoted text>How come it has to be young unmarried women with multiple boyfriends, what about men with no education, back problems, drunks, and drug addicts etc. Don't just single out one group of poor include them all.
Wonder why husbands loves to be with these poor unmarried women with multiple babies by them as well?
True enough ... it's a long list. Lots of illegals and HOOD-lems on that list. Lots of Darwin Award Winners need to feel "consequences" rather than empathy. That list includes over-reaching and industry-exporting financial types.

Drugged-up b*tches and greedy piggy$ starve together in the gutter. And don't be stupid yourself. A sick worker receives medical care. Can't you tell the difference ??

Since: Mar 08

Pittsburgh, PA

#10 Aug 27, 2008
Since West Virginia is the most poverty stricken state of the union how come none of their cities are on the list?
Mike

Oklahoma City, OK

#11 Aug 27, 2008
I knew at least one person would blame it on Bush. It's the only reason I wanted to read the comments. Get this straight. We live in the land of opportunity. Bush is NOT taking it away from you. You are looking for a scape goat to blame your problems on when in reality YOU are the one to blame. If you can't succeed in this country, you can't succeed anywhere so quit blaming it on Bush. Be responsible by going to work, saving your money, and cutting up your credit cards! When the Democratic controlled congress decided to raise the minimum wage they put employers in a position to either raise prices or cut employees! How exactly does this philosophy contribute to an individuals well being??? Everyone needs to be planning for more than minimum wage anyway.
Mighty Whitey

Reno, NV

#12 Aug 27, 2008
Coolmind wrote:
It's failure alright.

The failure of porch apes to use "birf control."

Since: Sep 07

Grand Rapids, MI

#13 Aug 27, 2008
bilbo baggins wrote:
Who else is getting seriously tired of this crap against young unmarried women who have children? The fact is, Bilbo the idiot, that females today should not have to wait to have children. Why? Because if they have children when they are older, even as 'young' as 25-30 years old.... the number of birth defects, cases of autism, etc. skyrockets.

If anything, we should be encouraging females to have children while they are very YOUNG.... like in the age range of 13-21, when they are almost guaranteed to have a healthy baby, as some of my friends in high school had babies that young and their children are healthier than the ones who 'waited'.

On another point, if you really don't want those females to be having children.... allow them to get on birth control at the age of 7 or whenever they start their first period (whichever is first), make it MANDATORY that females have to be on birth control unless they sign an agreement saying that they are going to be celibate or won't expect society to support them or their children if they DO get pregnant, and start raising the minimum wage so that these 'unmarried women' can have children and pay for them!

That is the REAL problem: the extremely low minimum wage and the obscene amounts of 'experience' and 'education' that businesses are asking for, even speaking as a white male with an IQ of 160 who went to college and admittedly washed out the first time.
Most of the jobs in question needs more ON THE JOB experience which a person cannot get without being hired for the jobs, which businesses don't want to hire women with children because they unjustly think "Woman with children? She'll ALWAYS be needing to flee the job for emergencies connected with her children!" which is actually not true, even for high-school dropouts with children.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#14 Aug 27, 2008
Bama Yankee wrote:
So..... what happened to those 170,000 jobs Hillary promised to bring to New York if she were elected senator there?
I'm waiting to see Obama come thru on the MILLIONS of union jobs he pledged to create.

Location hidden

#15 Aug 27, 2008
carey529 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm waiting to see Obama come thru on the MILLIONS of union jobs he pledged to create.
Don't hold your breath. Illinois lost over 100,000 manufacturing jobs while he was in the senate there.

Location hidden

#16 Aug 27, 2008
Coolmind wrote:
Like Martin Luther King, Jr., I have a dream.

My dream is that one day you will wake up, smell the coffee, and realize not all the ills in this country can be laid at the feet of Bush and Cheney. But, it is just a dream and not likely to ever come to pass.
erg

Apollo Beach, FL

#18 Aug 27, 2008
bilbo baggins wrote:
Or how many are ignorant stereotyping dwarf lovers?

Since: Feb 07

Whitman,Ma

#19 Aug 27, 2008
Coolmind wrote:
It seems to me,if my memory serves me correctly, that when Hilary was elected to her first term in the Senate, she would create jobs in Northern New York. Evidently she did not keep her promise to the people of Norhtern New york. The President dont create jobs, the Congress makes laws that create jobs when they make it profitable for peopple to start businesses. Congress can do anything they want to if they want to or not do anything as they have done and then try to lay the blame on Bush/Cheney. Congress is to blame.
Detroit needs condoms

Ashburn, VA

#20 Aug 27, 2008
dgshiner wrote:
<quoted text>How come it has to be young unmarried women with multiple boyfriends, what about men with no education, attitude problems, drunks, and drug addicts etc. Don't just single out one group of poor include them all.
He covered all those when he mentioned boyfriends, dogshiner.
Failure mode

Ashburn, VA

#21 Aug 27, 2008
Coolmind wrote:
Bush and Cheney have succeeded while you have failed. You predicted that Bush would not get re-elected and you were wrong. You predicted that Bush would get impeached and you weren't even close. All of your relentless hatred and Bush bashing has failed and failed miserably. You have burned up all of your energy and all you've accomplished is to make yourself old before your time.
Summer Rain

United States

#22 Aug 27, 2008
Can anyone name ONE successful policy of the GOP over the last 7 years? I honestly can't think of one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cleveland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dollar General closing 35 min Scott 1
Anal Sex is it supposed too? 2 hr Scott 10
Sylvan Beach ice jam 2 hr Phil Trombino 2
Double homicide shakes Sylvan Beach 2 hr Phil Trombino 3
Who Farted? (Mar '13) 7 hr Joe Ben 9
Vienna Road Swingers Campground 7 hr Joe Ben 13
March 21 Election 7 hr Joe Ben 34

Cleveland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance