Newspapers Across the Country Show St...

Newspapers Across the Country Show Steep Declines in Circulation, in New FAS-FAX

There are 13 comments on the www.editorandpublisher.com story from Oct 26, 2009, titled Newspapers Across the Country Show Steep Declines in Circulation, in New FAS-FAX. In it, www.editorandpublisher.com reports that:

average daily circulation plunged 10.6%

Circulation at many of the country's largest newspapers continued a steep slide as the Audit Bureau of Circulations Monday morning released the latest figures for the six months ending September 2009 -- proving yet again that the industry can't shake the dramatic declines that have taken hold over the past several years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.editorandpublisher.com.

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

Memphis, TN

#1 Oct 26, 2009
They are facing the same problem as the Post Office. The internet!

The dinosaurs must adapt or die off.
johanson

Salem, OR

#2 Oct 26, 2009
Bingo; my local newspaper is supposed to show up before 6:00 am every morning. It usually shows up between 6:30 and 7:00.

Since it was late this morning, I decided to read in online (for free). If my son didn't enjoy reading the comics and the weather, I would probably cancel and go with the online version.
Bites the dust

United States

#3 Oct 26, 2009
The Atlanta Journal Constitution removed its 150 year old slogan "Covers Dixie Like the Dew" after protests of the word DIXIE by the left wing hate mongers. Since then, subscription cancellations have cut AJC circulation dramatically.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#4 Oct 26, 2009
johanson wrote:
Bingo; my local newspaper is supposed to show up before 6:00 am every morning. It usually shows up between 6:30 and 7:00.
Since it was late this morning, I decided to read in online (for free). If my son didn't enjoy reading the comics and the weather, I would probably cancel and go with the online version.
I didn't cancel my local paper, it cancelled me.

It went "regional" and now most of the stories are about places 30 miles away.
christians against christ

Palm Bay, FL

#5 Oct 26, 2009
The impact of the internet is also being felt in viewership of the local big three networks including the ALL BARAK CHANNEL .
Jim Shorts

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Oct 26, 2009
These papers turned into the National Enquirer. Who, what, where, and when are not important anymore.
Jason Lee

Brook, IN

#7 Oct 26, 2009
The sad truth is, except for a few news-junkies (like me and you), most people these days just aren't very interested in what's going on in the wider world.
Lone Wolf

Benicarló, Spain

#8 Oct 26, 2009
there all propaganda mills lie PRAVDA......,, blacklistednews.com
kamikaze

Palm Bay, FL

#9 Oct 26, 2009
johanson wrote:
&fe ature=related
megalib

Salem, OR

#10 Oct 26, 2009
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't cancel my local paper, it cancelled me.
It went "regional" and now most of the stories are about places 30 miles away.
Most of the stories in my local newspaper come from the AP or Gannet news-services. It's kind of funny because I can see a story here in Topix, then two or three days later it will run in my newspaper!
johanson

Salem, OR

#11 Oct 26, 2009
kamikaze wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =cO-b65W-zQsXX&feature=rel ated
WTF does this have to do with newspapers declining circulation. This is exactly why most people won't follow links to youtube.

“Bounce Barry in 12, Dems in 10”

Since: Mar 08

AZ, Sonoran Desert

#14 Oct 26, 2009
Newspapers are obsolete. Most of the coverage is lightweight and superficial and by the time you get it, it's yesterday's news. Throw in the economy affecting the desire by companies to buy advertising, and the odd obsession of newspaper editors of pushing a leftwing view despite the fact that the people most likely to purchase a newspaper are probably more conservative, and it's no wonder the death spiral continues.
Just saying

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Oct 26, 2009
If I want to read how wonderful Obama and the Dem's are, I will just read the stories Iria post on topix. Why would I want to pay for that rubbish?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cleveland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lol 1 hr FYI 2
The mother of prostitutes 1 hr Phil Trombino 6
Pirates weekend 6 hr Phil Trombino 11
City bus to Sylvan Beach 21 hr Phil Trombino 4
Camden Relay Sat fuckface 10
Huge Fight at Sylvan Beach Sat Phil-Spam Beach 13
Apes from the city invade beach Fri Mohamid 6

Cleveland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance