Canac Kitchens to close Canadian plant

Canac Kitchens to close Canadian plant

There are 85 comments on the Daily India story from May 29, 2008, titled Canac Kitchens to close Canadian plant. In it, Daily India reports that:

Cabinetry maker Canac Kitchens announced it is closing its Canadian plant north of Toronto with a loss of 1,000 jobs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily India.

Home Buyer

Calgary, Canada

#66 Oct 24, 2009
We are looking at buying a house, with Euro Cabinets by Canac Kitchens.

After reading the blog I need to get an opinion.
These are a Euro design, wood bottom and white lacquer tops.
Glass/plastic? inserts with lights behind.
You lift up the cabinet and it shows the bottom shelf but then stops 1/2 way up the 2nd shelf. It has a big grey hinge inside, then they lower themselves.

?= Should the cabinet go all the way up? Does it need an adjustment or is that just the way it's supposed to be; so you can't get anything directly in the top shelf.

Thanks,

R
DAN

Toronto, Canada

#67 Jan 4, 2010
We moved into a home that had been renovated over the last 6 years and I was trying to find out who built our kitchen cabinets.
I did some house cleaning in the furnace room and removed a cabinet which on the back had a sticker that listed all the info re the manufacturer....I was thrilled to have the info.....until today when I googled info on the company and found out that it had recently gone out of business......CANAC!!
What a disappointment. I don't know what the manufacturer's warranty would have been.....but I understand from the website that they were honoring only until Dec.31 2009....Does anyone know if Kholer is responsible now for any repairs etc. or if there is any legal action that can be taken if there are concerns with the cabinets? I know there are a lot of past employees out there that may have such info.
I am so sorry for all of you who lost your jobs. I wish I could help in some way......I will keep you in my prayers.
Dalton

Charlotte, NC

#68 Jan 4, 2010
I hear news that canac plant in statesville, nc is re-opening... this will be a plus for former employees still looking for work...
michelle

Aurora, CO

#70 Mar 20, 2010
Hi,

I have the white Canac cabinets and a lot of the doors turned yellow? I don't know how to replace these? Is it too late?

Thanks!!
nikki

Douglasville, GA

#71 Jan 30, 2011
I have Canac cabinets and we are having hard time to find same door to replace. Do you know who we can call or how to find same style doors?
Field Installer wrote:
I was an Installer of Canac Cabinets for over 10 years. I worked in the Atlanta and North Florida markets. When I first hired on as an Installation Subcontractor in 1996, the product was nice and the installations were fairly uneventful. As the years rolled on, the sweltering problem was getting replacement parts grew to a fever pitch. When the Statesville plant opened and began to supply us in ATL and N. FLA, I could not believe my eyes...this was the most screwed up product I ever saw, many times, an order would be shipped with the wrong color fillers, if it was even shipped complete at all. Gables would vary in height by as much as a centimeter. Broken boxes and missing shelves were just a way of life for a couple of years. Some cabinets would have paper skins and other would have melamine or laminated sides. The nailers on the backs of the wall cabinets were so inadequately installed they would often just fall off onto the floor after I unwraped it...I adopted an installation policy of shooting 1 3/8" staples into all of them prior to hanging them in an effort to insure the cabinet would not fall off the wall. Believe me, I could go on and on but suffice it to say, the quality and supply problem ultimately led to both of those dealers to discontinue the line all together. Life goes on...rest in peace.
Ex_CanacCustomer

Fresno, CA

#72 Mar 24, 2011
All these problems have been going on even be4 Kohler! The delays, poor quality, mismatched doors, hardware, etc., white cabinets turning pink...

it is funny it has been about 15 years and I just thought, hey I wonder if Canac made it?! Well I see nothing has changed! I am sorry for the jobs but I think for all the turmoil they have caused they should be tanked!

Wow over 15 years, still! Crazy!
josie wales

Portland, TN

#73 Mar 28, 2011
people like ralph parrish is why it closed
canac green kitchen

Wasaga Beach, Canada

#74 Aug 6, 2011
Looking for canac green kitchen cabinets to add to our home for the new addition.
2008 the original order was made before company closed. Now need more pieces.
canac green kitchen

Wasaga Beach, Canada

#75 Aug 6, 2011
Looking to purchase green canac kitchen cupboards. We are renovating the kitchen to larger and we purchased the kitchen in 2008 before company closed. Need more for addition.
canac oak with stainless

Miami, FL

#76 Dec 3, 2011
I would like to thank those Canac employee's who took pride in their work, as they must have been the ones that built the cabinets used in the community, I live in Miami, built in the 80's.

These are California style homes where Canac cabinets where installed in the kitchen and bathrooms, and they have stood the test of time.. The model used in most of these homes have oak doors with a stainless steel trim on both the right and left side of the doors.

I realize this is a long shot, but it's worth a try...

A. Is there a former Conac employee, installer, supplier or vendor that knows where these stainless steel moldings were sourced from or where I might be able to obtain a few more?

B. I do not need the doors, however if someone has the same model doors and can spare a couple of the upper cabinet door stainless steel moldings I'd love the opportunity to purchase them.
Chris XCanac Neighbour

Thornhill, Canada

#77 Mar 7, 2012
Lol, Cline suggests that "Canac is a steadily advancing company that offers fine cabinetry."
I don't call particle board "find cabinetry."
Lol, it also rich of him to suggest that "Disgruntled ex-employees offer negative sentiment that is not rooted in reality" when the fact is, the same could be said of him--- who found working for "Canac in Administration" to be "absolutely amazing." In one incident in Thornhill we also had a riot on our hands, tons of police were called. Why? Because a worker had a heart attack and the managers refused to call the ambulance!
The Reaosn why this plant left is....ME! I complained eveyrday for a decade! They had noise issues, health and sanitary issues, environmental pollution issues, zoning issues, fraud issues (they hid garbage bags full of complaints from the Ministry of the Environment, which they had to tansfer over in 48 hours by law).
All this is just the tip of the iceberg...I don't have enough characters to stress how abhorrent the practices of this company are...
"The Thornhill plant had many environmental issues too, and the orders will be absorbed by the Statesville plant. This is good news to those of us who make a living working here."--- I guess if you want to grow a second pair (since the first ain't doing you anywell), then go ahead Cline...be happy with that in your town...I'm glad it's no longer in mine!
Morinville Alberta

Canada

#78 Mar 15, 2012
Put in Canac cabinets 8 yrs ago, thermofoil that are now peeling and suface cracking. Crown moulding and side panels different material and are now different color from doors. What's my recourse with Canac? Anybody looking after the " 25 yr warranty? [email protected]
Anonymous

Canada

#79 Mar 16, 2012
Put in Canac cabinets 8 yrs ago, thermofoil that are now peeling and suface cracking. Crown moulding and side panels different material and are now different color from doors. What's my recourse with Canac? Anybody looking after the " 25 yr warranty"]
Mike

Winkler, Canada

#80 Apr 24, 2012
If you need to match doors there is a place in manitoba "Elias Woodwork". They make all kinds of stuff for your kitchen.
juan

Mississauga, Canada

#81 Sep 6, 2012
i worked in there for 4 years. it was like work in south america.. the big boss frank was a A.. the biggest i see.. no heart!
any way i enjoyed.
Weather or not

Charleston, WV

#82 Sep 7, 2012
The entire deal in statesville, was a train wreck,no educated managment, at all,RALPH PARISH IN charge, he was as f&%$ed up as a soup sandwich,he should have been a vacum cleaner salesman at the best. by the way piss on him.
Someone

Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

#83 Sep 14, 2012
I used to install Canac cabinets. The decline in quality over the years was very noticeable. Shortly before Canac went bankrupt we installed 300+ kitchens in a brand new apartment building. We replaced each door at least 3 times in each kitchen because they couldn't get the color match right. Not to mention the hinge locations on the replacement doors were drilled in a different spot than on the old boxes. I now install Ultracraft cabinets and they are a million times better than Canac. Ultracraft may be able to provide you with matching doors for your Canac cabinets.
greg collet hater

Shelton, CT

#84 Feb 6, 2013
what a joke that guy was ; i have to say BothSidesof Fence got it bang on. i was a TEAM LEAD in the office and can tell you they were as dumb as door knobs. espically the packi guy akil khan.. lol get time while i was there never got paid so much to do nothing
No More

Charleston, WV

#85 Feb 16, 2013
The Canac In statesville was a joke to start, No supervisors that knew what was going on, It had to fail
lisa windsor ont

Windsor, Canada

#86 Apr 30, 2013
Longhauler wrote:
I can get you haz. stain. I need to know if the cabinets came from Canada or the USA, they are different shades of the same color. The product comes from Chemcraft and they are here in Calgary. I know the person familiar with the product. From whatI understand Statesville diluted the stain so you may have to experiment with it to get the color to match. 4 litres should do the trick, it would have to be shipped by ground I think. We may be able to source it in your area.
Like I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, check inside the door, look on the frame and see if there is a bunch of dots like braille. that means it came from the USA, they also use a water base top coat rather than lacqer which was used in Canada.
Are the doors shaker or another profile? I can get you doors in 2 working weeks and with a color match I could have them finished and drilled as well. Hinge drill patterns differ from the USA and Canada but I can deal with that as well.
Let me know if I can help, I appreciate your concern.
can you help me out with canac cabinets i need more to make an island im tryin gto extend my kitchen need colour match if i get a custom made done. if not any sales out there who sell old stock of canac? im in ontario canada

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cleveland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old House behind Signal Hill Mall? (Jan '16) Sat Explorer 10
e z way auto sales (Nov '08) Dec 11 Nathan williams 39
News Mooresville man charged with sexual assault Dec 7 Martha 1
News NC lottery winner to give away his jackpot. Her... Dec 6 erin 2
Dr. Kearny in Statesville Dec 4 Paula 1
Hot looking lady Dec 2 Doc holiday 1
Nc dui question Dec 1 answeringU 2

Cleveland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance