Anonymous

Beckley, WV

#1 Mar 10, 2013
I think the things that are happening is more of a Mental Heath issue than gun issue! In time with our Politicians taking our rights away we will have no means to defend ourselfs from our Government. That would be a dictatorship! I am against any form of gun control except background checks including Mental Health. The killings that happened with the movie theater and school are a Mental Health Issue and needs to be addressed as so! NO need for gun control, our Media is out of control!..
Fact: In 1994, before the Federal “assault weapons ban,” you were eleven (11) times more likely to be beaten to death than to be killed by an “assault weapon.”
Fact: Guns prevent an estimated 2.5 million crimes a year or 6,849 every day. Often the gun is never fired and no blood (including the criminal’s) is shed.
Fact: Every year, people in the United States use guns to defend themselves against criminals an estimated 2,500,000 times – more than 6,500 people a day, or once every 13 seconds. Of these instances, 15.6% of the people using firearms defensively stated that they “almost certainly” saved their lives by doing so.
Fact: 54% of these deaths are suicides (80% in Canada). Numerous studies have shown that the presence or absence of a firearm does not change the overall (i.e., gun plus non-gun) suicide rate.
Fact: Guns are used for self-defense 2,500,000 times a year in the United States.
• 71% of gunshot victims had previous arrest records.
• 64% had been convicted of a crime.
• Each had an average of 11 prior arrests.62,63
• 63% of victims have criminal histories and 73% of the time they know their assailant (twice as often as victims without criminal histories).
“Passing a law like the assault weapons ban is a symbolic, purely symbolic move... Its only real justification is not to reduce crime but to desensitize the public to the regulation of weapons in preparation for their ultimate confiscation.”- Charles Krauthammer Syndicated Columnist The Washington Post, April 5, 1996
All Quotes are from Gun Facts by Guy Smith 2011
Fact: Guns prevent an estimated 2.5 million crimes a year or 6,849 every day. Often the gun is never fired and no blood (including the criminal’s) is shed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cleveland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Statesville DSS WTF! is wrong with that place (Dec '13) Apr 16 Truth Hurts 3
News Corporate Greed Profile: Lowes CEO, Robert A. N... (Nov '09) Apr 15 lowes spec 108
News Man airlifted after head-on collision (Sep '12) Apr 13 Irving 2
Sirens Mar 31 Jean 1
this is a notice, not a discussion Mar '15 GET IT STRAIGHT 1
Review: Teasers Mar '15 ALEXISBROOKWARD 1
Performance at South Iredell High School Mar '15 MPans 1
More from around the web

Cleveland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]