DOT closing in on Cleveland Bypass pr...

DOT closing in on Cleveland Bypass project plans

There are 4 comments on the The Times story from Jul 10, 2010, titled DOT closing in on Cleveland Bypass project plans. In it, The Times reports that:

Larry Allen believes the economy, followed by the opening of the new Walmart off U.S. 129, have siphoned sales from the downtown square in Cleveland.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Times.

Jeffrey Kruger

Norman Park, GA

#1 Jul 14, 2010
Now people are finally realizing when wally-world comes to town,it is the death knoll for local Mom+Pop business.Oh but "it brought jobs" people will say,yeah while all the money goes for garbage Chinese goods.I told my wife when Cleveland first approved of wally coming to town that I would never set foot in that store as long as I live,and I have kept that promise by continuing to support our locally owned and operated hardware,grocery,and farm supply stores!!!I am curious though,is there any way drive a wal-mart out of a town because that would be funny as heck and may inspire other towns to do the same.
Go Ahead On

Alto, GA

#2 Jul 15, 2010
Jeffrey Kruger wrote:
Now people are finally realizing when wally-world comes to town,... all the money goes for garbage Chinese goods.... I ... support our locally owned and operated hardware,grocery,and farm supply stores!!!
Oh, those locally owned and operated hardware, grocery, and farm supply stores don't sell Red China's products, huh? I'll be dog!!! Where'd you get all those clothes, household goods, etc., that came from Red China? I don't like
having things made by Red China; however, I have to live with them if I want to keep up with the Joneses.
Merle T Cornpone

Clarkesville, GA

#3 Aug 1, 2010
The Cleveland Downtown Merchants Association has fought tooth and nail against a Cleveland by-pass for the last 20 years.
The result has been that Cleveland has the worst traffic per capita in North Georgia. The terrible traffic actually makes many Helen visitors use alternate 75, 384, and other routes that by-pass Cleveland completely.
When Cabbage patch moved out to their new location off Hulsey, that took tourists out of the downtown area, too.
The fact than no restaurants in Cleveland sell adult beverages also impacts the number of people stopping in Cleveland as well as the fact that Helen, Cornelia, Clarksville, Dahlonega, Blairsville, Hiawassee, and Gainesville have more restaurants with more cuisines and adult beverages.
This situation existed ten years before Wal-Mart moved to Cleveland and there were Wal_marts in Dahlonega and Cornelia, already. Most of the restaurants in Cleveland are south of town on 129, somewhat removed from downtown.

Investing in downtown areas has been bad business since the 1960's.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#4 Aug 1, 2010
Well stated Merle and very valid points.

Consider this as well. Even if there were nice restaurants that could sell alcohol on the Cleveland square....where would the customers park. With the current traffic flow, parking around the square is awful. Have to cross the street on foot??? BE CAREFUL!

Once the by-pass is complete, the city and it's businesses will be forced to advertise to draw tourists into town. Of course, they will need a reason to visit, not much of one now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cleveland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
East Coweta High School (Aug '12) 7 hr Mother777 9
time for Lumpkin county to have a barking dog o... (Nov '15) May 22 Truth Be Told 14
russell arrington construction.. (Sep '15) May 17 redwinestan 6
News Newnan lawyer suspended for 6 months (Nov '14) May 16 AIPAC mohels 33
News Sons of the American Revolution honor Solomon S... (Nov '16) May 16 yidfellas v USA 5
Dealing with Garrison BakerJudge? May 11 F Off 2
Local Politics Election Superintendent Garrison Baker: Charact... (Sep '11) Apr 30 Goldie 2

Cleveland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cleveland Mortgages