Beware of Sunglass Discounters, Inc. ...

Beware of Sunglass Discounters, Inc. out of Clearwater, FL.

Posted in the Clearwater Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Nov 08

United States

#1 Nov 26, 2008
Beware of Sunglass Discounters, Inc. out of Clearwater, FL.
I have already made two BBB reports, written to Governor Charlie Crist, whose office directed me to Florida's Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of

Consumer Services (DOACS).
Sunglass Discounters, Inc. still refuses to honor it's original agreement on a LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE.
They now say they will refuse me service for trying to get them to honor their LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE.
Story:
I bought a pair of Sunglasses at a roadside stand in Elkhart, Indiana on July 11, 2003.
I was told that these glasses would be replaced for a cost of $5.00 each for life.
The last time I replaced these glasses, I was sent a new LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE card, stating that it would now cost me $8.00 a pair to replace these glasses.
I have scanned the original LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE and the new LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE I was sent.
I believe that my glasses should be replaced for $5.00 a pair for life, as stated in the original LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE.
It's now time to replace these glasses and I want to make sure I get what I was promised.
Sunglass Discounters, Inc. said they would replace the glasses for $5.00 this one time (in a reply to my first BBB report), but that they have the right to raise the price at

will. That's not what the original LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE CARD states.
Since they have received the second BBB report, they now said in a voicemail I have saved onto my computer, that they will probably refuse me service instead.
All documents and recordings are available upon request.
I challenge anyone to read the original LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE I was given and interpret it to mean that the price will go up at any time.
It clearly states that the glasses will be replaced for a charge of $5.00 on a card that says LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE.
This is pure deception on the part of Sunglass Discounters, Inc.
Nowhere on the card does it say the the price will go up with inflation.
You don't get that surprise until they send you a new LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE card with your replacement sunglasses.
If Sunglass Discounters, Inc. is going to be allowed to raise the price of replacement glasses in the future, it should state that on the LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE card.
I'd also like to state that my original glasses were of a much higher quality. Every pair of glasses I have received since hasn't been near as effective as the first pair.
I'm guessing this has something to do with the fact they no longer sell 3rd Generation brand sunglasses.
I have not received notice from Florida's Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services as of 11/26/2008.
I am now sending this letter to four Clearwater, FL area newspapers.
Denise

United States

#2 Dec 2, 2008
get over it!
skary

Reading, MA

#3 Feb 14, 2009
yeah seriously get over it!!! The cost of shipping has raised since you first bought them and that is part of the reason for the increase just common sense I would think.
HogDogg

American Fork, UT

#4 Mar 7, 2009
NO!! Don't get over it!! You're absolutely right. An agreement is an agreement. Period. End of discussion. What we're dealing with here is a principle--not price. Stick to your guns man! The last pair is sent in--and paid the upcharge $8--was never even returned to me! Crooks!!
EmmysMom

Portsmouth, VA

#5 Mar 18, 2009
Yea, common sense, cost of living up, up, up...
It's still less than buying a new pair.
shuman Atlanta Ga

Carrizozo, NM

#6 May 15, 2009
You are the kind of customer businesses waste a lot of time and money trying to please but can NEVER please because your agenda is not to be satisfied, but to make the business as wrong and guilty as possible for their crime against you and only you. It is a delusional crime. Your life is better spent trying to improve others lives but then you are incapable of that as well seeing you are wasting the states time and everyone elses time trying to make you a happy little boy. Get a life and stop your whining. There are many more important things out there that are real problems that need solving like too many kids and adults taking drugs and too much crime happening in front of your eyes. GET A LIFE.
Jeannette Ft Belvoir VA

Washington, DC

#7 May 26, 2009
I am still waiting for my replace sunglasses. Which is means I'm might not been the only one who was cheated! It is not just the price is to do not honor their Lifetime Replacement Guarantee, what about that? That is not a good reason to be take them to court or at least place it on the news?
Sucker

Vancouver, Canada

#8 Jun 12, 2009
Thank you for this webiste alert!! I am too still waiting for my replacement sun glasses!! I sent my $ 8.00 for a broken pair of glasses well over a month ago, and have had nothing sent back, nor does anyone answer their phones and this so called company!! FRAUD, FRAUD, FRAUD!!!!!!
Joe Mamma

Tucson, AZ

#9 Jul 13, 2009
I was about to send off my glasses and wanted to check online to make sure the company was still in business before sending them my $10 (apparently the price has gone up some more) when I stumbled across this posting. To the original poster: I see your point in wanting them to honor their original agreement, but is all this time and effort on your part worth the extra $3 you would have to spend to replace a $40+ pair of sunglasses? I appreciate the others on here who have said something about sending theirs off and not getting anything in return as that is valid for me to know, but that huge fuss about the $3 difference by the original poster was kind of a waste of my time to read.
Honorable businesses

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Aug 10, 2009
The glasses don't even cost them much. They swindle us for $40, and then another $8 (or so) to send them back, and than our cost to send them (at least $2). That comes to $50 for maybe 2 pairs all together? That cost them maybe $5-$10 for 2 pair. It seems that a loyal company would honor thier agreements. It is good that you are among the few that addresses the issue, instead of letting it slide. Thank you for doing your part to help others and show the wrong the wrong. If they are having trouble with the economy and can not withstand thier agreement, perhaps they should declare bankrupcy and move on, instead of increasing thier disgruntled customers.
Tom Norwood MA

Norwood, MA

#11 Aug 19, 2009
I too sent a pair of sunglasses off to this company. I mailed mine on June 26, 2009 and enclosed my $10.00, to date have heard nothing. I, too, have called and called to no avail. I guess I got screwed too!!
washinton state

Friday Harbor, WA

#12 Sep 23, 2009
Still waiting for our replacement sunglasses as well. We sent in the $8.00, figuring this would handle shipping. This was 6 weeks ago. We will see, still waiting.
Jpayne

Eugene, OR

#13 Oct 7, 2009
is it just me, or am I the only one who believes the original lifetime warranty was honored? Did it say, unlimited lifetime replacement guarantees?
Jen Nonya

Bakersfield, CA

#14 Feb 19, 2010
I am familiar with this place and also familiar with thuhbadguy who originally posted. First let me say doesn't that screen name say it all folks? Shuman said it perfectly. I have had the experience when sending my glasses back to have it take 2 weeks to up to 4-6 weeks. The difference being the time of year you happen to be sending your glasses in. As far as the price rising, everything else has risen postage, wages, printing, sunglass prices it really only makes sense. I say if you haven't gotten your glasses call them. The list is endless in what could have happened to them. I know they are still in business and although have changed their address and name, I have always received my sunglasses back and I love them. thuhbadguy needs a life. To spend the amount of time he has contacting government agencies wasting their time is crazy. If you don't want to pay $3 more, don't, but quit bad mouthing companies that don't deserve it and wasting countless peoples time.
Ex sunglass seller

New London, CT

#15 Mar 10, 2010
Sunglass Discounters are run by Scientologists that scam people out of their money. The sunglasses cost them less that a dollar and only a couple of dollar to mail to you. They are just greedy bastards.

I know as I used to work for them.
Greg

Saint Petersburg, FL

#16 Mar 10, 2010
Maybe a class-action lawsuit is in order?
Danny

United States

#17 Apr 7, 2010
I have used their sunglasses for ten years and had them replaced four or five times without a problem. I just broke another pair so I will see if they can still deliver.
Alison

Denver, CO

#18 Apr 7, 2010
Danny wrote:
I have used their sunglasses for ten years and had them replaced four or five times without a problem. I just broke another pair so I will see if they can still deliver.
Danny, I'm in the same boat. I've replaced mine several times. I love the optics, but I'm always breaking the frames. I've been hesitant to return them, since the website went down. Please let me (us) know if you get yours back.
Bud

Onalaska, WI

#19 Apr 20, 2010
Complied with all directions on Warranty Card and mailed the $8.00 check required on 23 March 2010. Haven't heard anything back yet. Did not have a problem the first time I sent scratched glasses back for replacement. They have not cashed the enclosed check as yet.
derf99

Louisville, KY

#20 May 1, 2010
This is scarey. I'm afraid to send them any money and my old glasses, as they might cash my check and I get nothing in return.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clearwater Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prospect Towers Wed resident 1
Onyums (Nov '14) Aug 23 anonymous 48
News Solar energy amendment headed for primary, but ... Aug 18 Solarman 1
News Woody Brown, Jamie Robinson re-elected in Largo Aug 18 greatneck 1
News Clearwater Beach Honored Again as a Top Beach (Mar '13) Aug 13 AIPAC is evil 48
Vote For Donald Trump (Feb '16) Aug 12 Trump blows 6
Beaver is a Party God Aug 9 buggzy 2

Clearwater Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Clearwater Mortgages