Recovery advocate question

Posted in the Clearfield Forum

Kim

Cumberland, MD

#1 Apr 8, 2011
I'm a recovered addict (sober for three years now) and I am currently in college to become a Drug and Alcohol counselor. Until I receive my degree I am interested in becoming a recovery advocate. Does any one in the field know how I would go about doing this..and can you tell me if you know of any rehab centers within an hour drive from Clearfield?
MrObvious

Houston, TX

#2 Apr 8, 2011
Google
Kim

Cumberland, MD

#3 Apr 8, 2011
I already tried that..trust me..Topix was my last resort
Clfd rumors

Duncansville, PA

#4 Apr 9, 2011
Kim wrote:
I'm a recovered addict (sober for three years now) and I am currently in college to become a Drug and Alcohol counselor. Until I receive my degree I am interested in becoming a recovery advocate. Does any one in the field know how I would go about doing this..and can you tell me if you know of any rehab centers within an hour drive from Clearfield?
Congrats on the sobriety! Also, it's fantastic that you understand the only way to keep it, is to give it away! It sounds like you are going to do a fantastic job!
There is a rehab in Bald Eagle that is hires alot of folks even without a degree. It's called St. Joseph Institute. I interviewed and was offered a job there but I declined because a much better position came along. You also could contact the Discovery House in Clearfield. I would suggest asking one of your professors. I am assuming you are attending Penn State Dubois for 2 years and then transferring to main for HDFS?

Good luck and remember Keep it simple!
Kim

Cumberland, MD

#5 Apr 9, 2011
No i'm doing everything on line for now, that way i'm still able to fit in a full time work schedule.

Thank you so much for the info, hopefully something comes out of it, i'm sure it will!

Level 1

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#7 Apr 12, 2011
I'm not trying to be mean or anything, as it sounds like you have a decent head on your shoulders. If you are going to go into that field though, you must realize that there is no such thing as a recovered addict. Always recovering, never recovered. The moment you think you are cured is the moment you are screwed. Also, when you try to get a job, you need to say "I am a recovering addict" if you say "I am a recovered addict" they will think you are full of crap and move to the next person. One that realizes that recovery is an active struggle. So just a friendly "heads up"
Kim

Cumberland, MD

#8 Apr 12, 2011
nunya234 wrote:
I'm not trying to be mean or anything, as it sounds like you have a decent head on your shoulders. If you are going to go into that field though, you must realize that there is no such thing as a recovered addict. Always recovering, never recovered. The moment you think you are cured is the moment you are screwed. Also, when you try to get a job, you need to say "I am a recovering addict" if you say "I am a recovered addict" they will think you are full of crap and move to the next person. One that realizes that recovery is an active struggle. So just a friendly "heads up"
Yes, I am aware of that..thank you.
lovinglife

Elmora, PA

#9 Apr 12, 2011
Kim wrote:
>

Keep in mind, it is "recovering", not recovered. Weareall a work in progress..........I congratulate you on your sobriety and I just celebrated 17 years clean and sober last month.

You may want to contact DRMC and inquire or try Pentz Run.

Or, go to an AA or NA meeting and talk to people for a direction.

(one of the coolest cliches' I heard when at a meeting one night was "it's alcoholism, not alcoholwasim)"
Kim

Cumberland, MD

#10 Apr 12, 2011
lovinglife wrote:
<quoted text>>
Keep in mind, it is "recovering", not recovered. Weareall a work in progress..........I congratulate you on your sobriety and I just celebrated 17 years clean and sober last month.
You may want to contact DRMC and inquire or try Pentz Run.
Or, go to an AA or NA meeting and talk to people for a direction.
(one of the coolest cliches' I heard when at a meeting one night was "it's alcoholism, not alcoholwasim)"
Yes I know thank you..I only say recovered because I didn't want to turn this topic in to a bunch of "know it all's" bashing anyone.

But, thank you for the info!

Oh, and congratulations on your sobriety!
clfd rumors

Duncansville, PA

#11 Apr 13, 2011
Kim wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I know thank you..I only say recovered because I didn't want to turn this topic in to a bunch of "know it all's" bashing anyone.
But, thank you for the info!
Oh, and congratulations on your sobriety!
Just wanted to let you know that St. Joseph Institute is looking for Resident advisors. It's good pay with good benefits. I heard from them earlier in the week asking if I had changed my mind and would come to work there.
There is a wonderful older lady named Ann. The place is awesome and the job would be a great starting position!!!!
Kim

Cumberland, MD

#12 Apr 13, 2011
Thanks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clearfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Voters: Discuss the 2015 Election Here 1 hr Bill K 50
councilman stewart 7 hr isolation 15
Derek Sat POLO 16
Why the hypocrisy? Feb 27 sally mcscruffin 13
Self Storage (Apr '13) Feb 27 Wade Wilson 42
thefts in town Feb 26 viber 38
walmart rocks (Aug '13) Feb 26 Sam 48
Clearfield Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Clearfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:20 am PST

NBC Sports 7:20AM
Jeremy Maclin on return to Eagles: If it's supposed to happen, it will happen
NFL 9:20 AM
Jeremy Maclin confident deal will get done with Eagles
NFL11:12 AM
Will Eagles move up in draft to select Marcus Mariota?
NFL 1:26 PM
Raiders to cut ties with LaMarr Woodley after one year
Bleacher Report 6:53 PM
How Should Eagles Fill Their Biggest Holes?