Obamas' impact on Eastern Kentucky
viewer

Louisville, KY

#84 Feb 25, 2013
Take MSU for instance. They have a gradution rate around 30 percent. That means that roughly 70 percent leave without degree and still owe money for not finishing. The only way this is possible is because the tax payers backs this piss poor business plan. No business that I know could keep the doors open and lights on with this success rate. But it will continue until like this until the bubble burst and we ask how did this happen. Like always it has to become a crisis to get any change. But change will come before long. This is a example of what the government doesnt do well, and gives the tea party types material for their cause.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#85 Feb 25, 2013
mostly, viewer, I agree with your points but on the MSU you may have not figured out that MSU gets paid whether they issue a degree or not and because it's department of edu they can and WILL garnish wages if you decide not to pay them back. MSU gets paid up front. Millions default on student loans yearly but those loans don't come from MSU they come from the Fed. While millions default millions more don't. Myself and everyone I work with are all still paying for our educations and will continue to do so for a very long time.
student

Morehead, KY

#86 Feb 25, 2013
viewer wrote:
Take MSU for instance. They have a gradution rate around 30 percent. That means that roughly 70 percent leave without degree and still owe money for not finishing. The only way this is possible is because the tax payers backs this piss poor business plan. No business that I know could keep the doors open and lights on with this success rate. But it will continue until like this until the bubble burst and we ask how did this happen. Like always it has to become a crisis to get any change. But change will come before long. This is a example of what the government doesnt do well, and gives the tea party types material for their cause.
I pay for my education as i go. I can claim it on my taxes. My employer pays some also. I work full time and cannot attend school full time. Other than that, what do you suggest to change the situation for the area to bring in jobs?
viewer

Louisville, KY

#87 Feb 25, 2013
Most people seek higher education to better their lives financially. We have all heard the statistics about how much more a person with a college degree will make over their life time than the average person without a college degree. I fully support this. I did this. However, there are other things to consider. We talk about getting educations, but it is also important to get a degree that is beneficial. Universitites offer hundreds of degrees to the students, and not all of them provide a valid job market for the students. We all know someone that received a degree in something, and they never get a job related to their education. I'm not sure how valuable this type of education is. Everyone is not cut out for college, or they don't know what they want to do. I think that some schools take advantage of these people, and they end up saddled with student loan debt and an unfinished education. Over 70% of Kentucky freshmans entering college were required to take a remedial class. A bank or a normal business wouldn't shell out money for a person not prepared for the investment.Without the government backing these loans, this situation would not exist in the free market. Just like the stock market the government has played with student loans, making the majority of them not worth the value of the degree (or partial education). Our military has done a good job and freed up the world, and the world has caught up with us. We are trying to compete with what used to be 3rd world countries with wages. Wages in general are not going to be rising significantly. It doesn't have to do with politicians, just the facts. If you look at Morehead, and all universities, the top earners don't see the classrooms. I know that education is the only way forward, and it is the only thing that will get us out of poverty. But, the cost of higher education has become counter-productive. Someone smarter than me has got to figure out how to control costs and increase success. 70% failure doesn't get it anywhere, and how they get by with it is a mystery to me.
consumer

Newburgh, IN

#88 Feb 26, 2013
viewer wrote:
Look at all the new construction in Rowan and Morgan counties in the last ten years. Most is tied to the government. Or Wal-Mart-McDonalds-Etc in Morehead. Not much of that money trickles down for the good of a commmunity. Yes the construction labors get some , but 80 percent of that either leaves the area , or goes to the politically backed families. Then the labors get their checks and go shopping at WalMart. Then WalMart sends that money to Arkansas and New York. Then pays China for the items you have bought with tax payers borrowed money. That is where we are now in America. The public gets the scraps from the powers feast. And we keep voting these people back in time and time again. A revolving door that is destroying America. Sad but true friends.
You vote with your dollar. Stop going to Walmart and McDonald's. There are plenty of other places to shop. Obviously, they provide a good service or people wouldn't go to them.
confused

Newburgh, IN

#89 Feb 26, 2013
viewer wrote:
I thought you liked government running things. Apparently, you are realizing anything government runs loses money at the cost of the people they are supposed to help. What's next? Overhaul the Post Office?
viewer

Louisville, KY

#90 Feb 26, 2013
The post offfice has never took a dime from tax payers in their long history. If they need to go down to 4 days a week that would be fine with me. But they do a great service , and we need them to stay in business. If they were to shut down everyone would miss them. That includes you my friend. I look at the government like I do a traffic light. When Im stuck waiting for it to turn green, I dont really like it. But when I get home I know that if it wasnt for the light one day I wouldnt be making it home , because I would be in a wreck ( T boned ) at that same intersection. Im not a dem or gop. I dont like foxnews or msnbc. I see pro and cons in the gov. I see the gov as being as good as the people it represents. If I see something wrong or I dont like , I state my case. If enough agree with me, it gets fixed. If not, I keep going and dont damn my government, for without them we would be in a worse mess than we are now. I try and sometimes fail in my mission , but sometimes when I fall , Im glad later , because I was wrong in my thinking....

Since: Dec 09

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

#91 Feb 26, 2013
Government is a necessary evil, its only purpose is supposed to be for the better good of the majority of the people it rules.

Yet in time all man made governments through history have become none productive bureaucracies that tend to look more so to enriching themselves instead of working for the betterment of the majority, in that way not serving the people and becoming mostly useless in carrying out that primary function.

Rome in its beginning was a very strong nation, but over time the bureaucracies grew to unmanageable groups that eventually split and destroyed the nation, weakened it to the point it could not even defend itself, let along conquer other nations.

Also the majority of the people became city dwellers in time just like today the bureaucracies destroyed jobs which at that time were mostly rural in nature. They did that by bringing in cheap slave labor (immigrants) and cheap products from other countries which destroyed productive people in their own country.

This lead to the phrase "Bread and Circuses" (or bread and games)(from Latin: panem et circenses) is a metaphor for a superficial means of appeasement. In the case of politics, the phrase is used to describe the creation of public approval, not through exemplary or excellent public service or public policy, but through diversion; distraction; or the mere satisfaction of the immediate, shallow requirements of a populace, as an offered "palliative." Juvenal decried it as a simplistic motivation of common people.

The phrase also implies the erosion or ignorance of civic duty amongst the concerns of the common man. I can remember when local men cared for many of the local needs as a civic duty. Roads have pot holes, they would go out and fill them, sometimes materials were provided sometimes not by the county. If a tree blew over across the roadway, men would bring chainsaws and trim it away.

If the community wanted "city water" the men of the community would get together get the water lines and provide the labor to install it. If your neighbour's had problems you tried to help them out, food, clothing, fix a house, you don't see that very much anymore.

Our society here in the United States is beginning to become dysfunctional sadly from the top down. I find it interesting just like a dysfunctional family situation, it is hard for most people with common sense to find anything positive in the direction the country moving.

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

#92 Feb 26, 2013
is moving
Wisdom

Shelbyville, KY

#93 Feb 26, 2013
That is what you get when you elect a community agitator who prefers campaign rhetoric to true leadership. He is the idiot who pushed for the sequester and now wants to act like it is someone else's fault.

It is also the result of a group of individuals with no moral compass, who prefers pitting groups against each other while they pass their agenda by fiat. But that is what the low intelligence voter want, now legalize the pot to placate the fools and turn this place into a banana republic all while blaming it on the rich.

The sheeple will eat it up and keep on voting more from the ever more bankrupt government teat...forget the future generations, it all about the current generation of takers and future democrats once the are legalized.
viewer

Louisville, KY

#94 Feb 26, 2013
Tell me wisdom who you believe shows true leadership today ??? Give me someone in Frankfort or Washington that you believe in ?

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

#95 Feb 26, 2013
It is the rich are they not the ruling class in this country? Are they (rich) and the corporations not the ones pushing their agendas?

This degrading of our country has gone on for several generations now, it is only now reaching its head, like a zit full of pus ready to burst.

Both political parties have been involved in this and voting one way or the other is just a choice of two evils nothing more. That's why I depend on God, He will work things out in the end.

Psalm 146 NIV 1984

3 Do not put your trust in princes,
in mortal men, who cannot save.
4 When their spirit departs, they return to the ground; on that very day their plans come to nothing

God has given mankind thousands of years to prove whither he can rule himself without God, what has those thousands of years proved? Over and over again mankind's governments have failed and will continue to fail. We need God and his son as ruler rather than mere men.
viewer

Louisville, KY

#96 Feb 26, 2013
deray if you had a church that you gave talks in , I for one would attend. You are very good at putting today with the bible. Well done , and know your words do make a difference.
Wisdom

Shelbyville, KY

#97 Feb 26, 2013
Sounds like you are in agreement that a godless party such as the democrat party flies in the face of god- think he punishes those who promote infanticide, infidelity, homosexuality and goes deeper in debt to a godless society ( China ) as well.

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

#98 Feb 26, 2013
Well just think about it, republican and democrat parties had to vote for it, they all support political correctness to the extreme of what you see now and probably more extreme in the future. He will not punish me because I will not get involved in it politically.

I like the words written in Matthew chapter 6 in that regard it tells us who we should support and what we should worry about. I live a honest simple life and have no regrets.

They tried to test Jesus on the politics of the time, what did he say?

Mark 12:17

Then Jesus said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's." And they were amazed at him.
single payer

Ironton, OH

#99 Feb 26, 2013
Silly little people believing in make believe is not what this country needs. Our leader is an atheist and does what is needed for human kind no some hocus pocus afterlife scenario.

Everything wisdom writes goes against the bible. Your old testament god for sure but not the new testament god. At least she shows her simple minded bigotry that is the foundation of the christian church.

I'm sure I'll piss off deray who believes in a god that does not exist even in the bible.
single payer

Greensburg, PA

#100 Feb 26, 2013
How ignorant to think god would prefer a heretic like Romney. The LDS started by a con artist that added to the word of god which is pretty much a one way ticket to hell.
American

Elizabethtown, KY

#101 Feb 26, 2013
I can tell you I for sure prefer Romney to obama. I hate obama just like I'm sure obama hates me. The fact that he got to be president is just proof how bad off this country is. Hitler said the bigger the lie the easier it is to get away with it (or something on that order) and looks like that's the case. Now go ahead and jump back, the day is coming when a lot of you obama fans will be sick when you think back and remember how you voted.

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

#102 Feb 26, 2013
Obama's impact on Kentucky coal mining jobs has not been that great, the decision to not use Kentucky by the electric generation companies was in the planning stage long before he came to office.

Two things really set three different things really brought about the demise of Kentucky coal.

1) Cheaper coal in other states less than 8.50 at ton in some cases.

2) A grade of coal that is much less polluting, they must either buy it or invest millions in smoke stack scrubbing equipment or new technology.

3) Natural gas as far as it will last (fracking) is much cheaper. Costs of building and maintaining a generation plant is about half from what I have read and been told. You put in very little transportation cost, all done by a one time pipeline installation and some pump stations. This seems the way most power generation companies are going, natural gas. They are in it to make as much profit as they can, they will go the cheapest rout to get there.

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

#103 Feb 26, 2013
Something else that was brought to my attention, coal in storage at the coal fired plants are at a all time high. The reason, we have not had a real winter in the last ten years or so in this part of the country in comparison to years past.

I can remember snow up to my knees, snow drifts around five feet deep and ice several feet deep that had to be cut through for livestock to have water out of ponds and creeks to drink.
This year we have not had any real snow at all so far.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clearfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kentucky official campaigns against gay marriag... 1 min Wisdom 5
Stool pigeon, Rat 1 min Concerned citizen 26
So why is it OK for Kim Davis to break the 4th ... 8 min CaptainObvious 24
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 24 min ChromiuMan 168,902
Marie boggs 48 min Hmm 12
Thank you President Obama (Sep '12) 1 hr Wisdom 575
The false narrative of liberal optics 1 hr Wisdom 84

Clearfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Clearfield Mortgages