Fencing & Swordplay in Clear Lake

Fencing & Swordplay in Clear Lake

Posted in the Clear Lake Forum

Since: Feb 14

Dickinson, TX

#1 May 6, 2014
I am open to students from 8-18. I have now done this twice (once in March and once in April).

On May 15 (which is a Thursday) I will be teaching a single day class to introduce kids with no prior knowledge to the modern sport of fencing and its history. This will be held at the Clear Lake Rec Center.

The course runs 4 hours, from 11AM-4PM (I know, that is five hours, but I am allowing an hour in the middle for kids and parents to go have lunch somewhere.).

I will begin with a short introduction, followed by introducing them to a bit of Medieval sword combat (actually, a choreographed piece set on me by Keith Ducklin of the Royal Armory in Leeds using stage combat swords).

We will then explore the Renaissance styles using the rapier and dagger versus the sword and buckler (again, stage combat equipment).

I will be breaking out some antiques for show and tell. They will be allowed to hold an actual rapier from circa 1650; a colichemarde from circa 1720; and a small sword from circa 1790.

From there we will begin foil fencing, since the foil was created as a training device for those who might expect to be in a duel with small swords. We will then move on to epee and then sabre. The class will finish with the class fencing in a pool with electric epees until we run out of time, with a prize for the winner.

All of this will be for the cost of $10.00 per student. The registration link is below.

http://www.clcca.org/page/16427~443679/Fencin...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clear Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
looking for a builder in Lucas,Tx area for an a... Nov 16 davidhilldallas 1
News Mountain lion prowling Collin County neighborho... (Dec '07) Nov 12 Austin 46
Top 10 Things to Do in Clear Lake, TX Nov 4 Criminal Defense ... 1
Naughty girls want to trade pics snap hunter1_8 (Sep '14) Oct '16 Meat13 4
Tile installer Jun '16 Grn Thmb 1
News Collin-County 19 mins ago 12:41 a.m.Richardson ... (May '16) May '16 WH Stamps 1
Drunk Driver (Apr '16) Apr '16 concerned too 2

Clear Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Clear Lake Mortgages