The Military and PTSD

The Military and PTSD

There are 7 comments on the www.kimt.com:80 story from Mar 22, 2012, titled The Military and PTSD. In it, www.kimt.com:80 reports that:

A new army report suggests that the number of Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder is alarming.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.kimt.com:80.

The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#1 Mar 22, 2012
And what is being done to help this vet adjust to today? poor economics, no jobs, housing, overcrowded counseling services and a liar for a president? How do you help a vet adjust to that?
NamVet68

Choctaw, OK

#2 Mar 23, 2012
In my reading and from what I see twice a week at my Local VA is many who have PTSD say they ended treatment cause of the meds - Many others said they would not seek treatment cause of the down side of letting others know they have problems and made it very hard to get a true JOB.
Some even say they cope with what ever it is - Help is there for Veterans more today then 30 years ago!
We can't make one seek help and we can't make him or her take meds to make life some what normal.

I can say for any one who is a VETERAN help is there IF they seek it!

I see and hear from wifes asking the VA make my husband take his meds - make my husband go to see his Dr's - in the end it's the Veteran who has to say he needs HELP and go and get it for himself and for his friends and family.
Robert

San Diego, CA

#3 Jul 19, 2012
Army Col. Tony Monaco has discovered an amazing treatment (some claim CURE) for PTSD. The colonel uses it himself, used it with very good results for his troops, and now grants it freely from the 501c he founded.

He presents it at www.patriotoutreach.org and now has some top-notch Endorsements of his Coping Strategies.

I use it and think of it as my "life raft." I will never stop using this simple, yet profound Mental/Observational Exercise.

Next post I will put the impressive Endorsements. Please read about it and help spread the word to those most in need of it. There does not exist any funds for adverstising. We're it.~
Robert

San Diego, CA

#4 Jul 19, 2012
"The Endorsements" --

MG (Major General)-
“In my own experience as a commander, I have seen Soldiers make rapid and sustained improvement through use of these [Coping Strategies] CDs. I was relieved to have these CDs available as a tool our Chaplains could hand out to Soldiers and their spouses. Soldiers, who otherwise refused to seek help, benefited by using the CD in the privacy of their home.”

- MG(R) George R. Harris, recently retired West Point General assigned to the Office of the Secretary of the Army

Wife -
“May I have 10 copies. I am a family member of an active duty soldier. I am also a clinical psychologist working with soldiers who have combat stress and PTSD. I think the cd would be a good resource for my patients."

Thank you, D. L, PsyD RN FNP (Clinical Psychologist)

Army Chaplain -
The Be Still and Know Exercise works for me. It calms my soul, enhances my thinking, and improves my emotional regulation. I am thankful to be a more resilient chaplain. Read the chaplain's letter (PDF)

----Chaplain (LTC), U.S. Army (Southern Baptist)

Walter Reed -
Patriot Outreach Coping Strategies CDs. "I have rendered a positive opinion to TSG (The Surgeon General)."

- Dr.(COL) John Bradley, M.D., Chief of Psychiatry, Walter Reed Army Medical Center

Iraq Warrior -
"This is basic training for the mind!"

- PFC J. Oehring, U.S. Army Infantry (Deployed to Iraq)

Veterans Administration Clinic -
"I received my [Coping Strategies] CD and love it. I would very much like to request 30 more for use at the VA Clinic and to provide to soldiers and families.

This is a wonderful resource!

Thank you," T.P., Addiction Therapist (VA Clinic)

Father Loses Son in Iraq, Joins Marines -
"On the third try, all hell broke loose and it was an epiphany... It energizes me, it enlightens me and it gives me strength... I am ready and proud."

- Mike, U.S. Marine Corps, Deployed to Iraq

Sergeant USMC -
"Thank you, It saved my Life! The peace and joy I now enjoy makes life worthwhile! "

- SGT J. Shiposki, U.S. Marine Corps,(Homebound Quadriplegic)

Air Force Chaplain -
“The distribution of these [Coping Strategies] CD's has been a great success.
My thanks to the Lord and staff. I have been busy at the Mass Military Reservation on-base. Units from all over New England come here.
May I request 50 more CD's. One veteran has commented 'thanks for looking out for us!"

Respectfully, B. C., U.S. Air Force

Doctor -
“Hello I am a Professional Counselor in private practice and a volunteer in the 'Give An Hour' program. I anticipate needing no less than 6 copies of this product to use in conjunction with current and future active therapy cases. If you can supply this request i will be grateful.

Thank You,” Major W. K.

Navy Vet, Vietnam -
"Amazingly, it (the Exercise) keeps showing and reaping benefits. I've never been more patient and alive. The secret is in the watchful observance without struggle."

- L. Brown U.S. Navy, Gulf of Tonkin, Vietnam

Iraq Warrior -
"I am no longer in denial of what happened in Iraq. I am freed. The exercise helped me overcome my past; it;s not haunting me any longer. it's a winner!!"

- PFC J.M., U.S. Army, Anbar Province, Iraq 2004-2005

Lastly, hearing from a Civilian Physician...

Dr. George Hayter, M.D., Psychiatrist and Diplomat of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, says the Exercise "…is the only program of self-therapy which achieves the desired end-state of therapy; to lessen the dependence on the therapist – the goal is self-awareness.” Also, he says,“It’s the only approach that I have ever seen in the whole field of psychology which allows you to become independent, competent and effective.”

The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#6 Jul 21, 2012
The Mad Man wrote:
And what is being done to help this vet adjust to today? poor economics, no jobs, housing, overcrowded counseling services and a liar for a president? How do you help a vet adjust to that?
These are facts when a vet comes home to a nation in turmoil. How do you adjust when fear of getting a job due to the PTSD stigma rides over your head? How do you 'adjust when you have a society that ignores the help the vet needs to adjust?
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#7 Jul 21, 2012
Robert wrote:
"The Endorsements" --
MG (Major General)-
“In my own experience as a commander, I have seen Soldiers make rapid and sustained improvement through use of these [Coping Strategies] CDs. I was relieved to have these CDs available as a tool our Chaplains could hand out to Soldiers and their spouses. Soldiers, who otherwise refused to seek help, benefited by using the CD in the privacy of their home.”
- MG(R) George R. Harris, recently retired West Point General assigned to the Office of the Secretary of the Army
Wife -
“May I have 10 copies. I am a family member of an active duty soldier. I am also a clinical psychologist working with soldiers who have combat stress and PTSD. I think the cd would be a good resource for my patients."
Thank you, D. L, PsyD RN FNP (Clinical Psychologist)
Army Chaplain -
The Be Still and Know Exercise works for me. It calms my soul, enhances my thinking, and improves my emotional regulation. I am thankful to be a more resilient chaplain. Read the chaplain's letter (PDF)
----Chaplain (LTC), U.S. Army (Southern Baptist)
Walter Reed -
Patriot Outreach Coping Strategies CDs. "I have rendered a positive opinion to TSG (The Surgeon General)."
- Dr.(COL) John Bradley, M.D., Chief of Psychiatry, Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Iraq Warrior -
"This is basic training for the mind!"
- PFC J. Oehring, U.S. Army Infantry (Deployed to Iraq)
Veterans Administration Clinic -
"I received my [Coping Strategies] CD and love it. I would very much like to request 30 more for use at the VA Clinic and to provide to soldiers and families.
This is a wonderful resource!
Thank you," T.P., Addiction Therapist (VA Clinic)
Father Loses Son in Iraq, Joins Marines -
"On the third try, all hell broke loose and it was an epiphany... It energizes me, it enlightens me and it gives me strength... I am ready and proud."
- Mike, U.S. Marine Corps, Deployed to Iraq
Sergeant USMC -
"Thank you, It saved my Life! The peace and joy I now enjoy makes life worthwhile! "
- SGT J. Shiposki, U.S. Marine Corps,(Homebound Quadriplegic)
Air Force Chaplain -
“The distribution of these [Coping Strategies] CD's has been a great success.
My thanks to the Lord and staff. I have been busy at the Mass Military Reservation on-base. Units from all over New England come here.
May I request 50 more CD's. One veteran has commented 'thanks for looking out for us!"
Respectfully, B. C., U.S. Air Force
Navy Vet, Vietnam -
"Amazingly, it (the Exercise) keeps showing and reaping benefits. I've never been more patient and alive. The secret is in the watchful observance without struggle."
- L. Brown U.S. Navy, Gulf of Tonkin, Vietnam
Iraq Warrior -
"I am no longer in denial of what happened in Iraq. I am freed. The exercise helped me overcome my past; it;s not haunting me any longer. it's a winner!!"
- PFC J.M., U.S. Army, Anbar Province, Iraq 2004-2005
Lastly, hearing from a Civilian Physician...
Dr. George Hayter, M.D., Psychiatrist and Diplomat of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, says the Exercise "…is the only program of self-therapy which achieves the desired end-state of therapy; to lessen the dependence on the therapist – the goal is self-awareness.” Also, he says,“It’s the only approach that I have ever seen in the whole field of psychology which allows you to become independent, competent and effective.”
These endorsements all sound pretty but what are the facts here. How does a veteran achieve the state of self therapy when fear is the first thing they have to overtake in their daily lives? What does a vet do when he is hit with a PTSD denial for a job and he knows it is because of the PTSD stigma. How do you overcome that.
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#8 Jul 21, 2012
I read the endorsements and it is amazing how hype can make you feel good. Psychology can be something that helps but the reality of facing denial of a job because of PTSD stigma or the stupidity of people who do not understand PTSD really creates fear. Yes, this can be overcome but it takes a lot of work and the endorsements are nothing but hype to me. Let's hear the real facts here and not the hype from psychologist who want to toot their own horn.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clear Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
May We See You Apr '16 Been to See 1
News Hillary Clinton Records Video Message for Trump... Apr '16 private guy 19
News Actress Susan Sarandon Campaigns for Sanders in... Jan '16 Who Cares 29
News We Ran Hillary Clinton's Symptoms Through WebMD... Dec '15 Ritual Habitual 8
Do remember a tractor repairman from 1968???? (Oct '15) Oct '15 Lookin4ever 1
Local Politics Do you approve of Jay Urdahl as Supervisor? (Sep '15) Sep '15 Joe 1
Local Politics Do you approve of Eric Bookmeyer as Mayor? (Sep '15) Sep '15 Joe 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Clear Lake Mortgages