First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Seriously

Shirley, WV

#1 Sep 5, 2012
I would like to know how many area parents are displeased with the size of the meals they are paying for at school for their kids. Not only that, but along with the small portion sizes meals are often bland due to lack of seasoning and the children aren't given much ketchup, mustard or dressings to help the food be more apealing. So much food is being wasted, getting dumped in the trash because the kids won't eat it, I wouldn't either. I myself am not only paying for hot meals for my kid, but I have to give him extra cash so he can buy snack from the snack bar to keep him from starving before he gets home. How silly is that? I guess I spend about $6.00 a day at school for food for one kid. Now, that wouldn't bother me if he didn't get home starving everyday. And he thinks he's way too cool to carry a lunch to school. Anyway, if he were to carry a lunch, how long would it be before they start inspecting brown bag lunches and taking things out they think are not healthy engough? Please let me know your thoughts, I think we need to organize and do something about this.
uummm

Oak Hill, WV

#2 Sep 5, 2012
what are they not allowed to eat and what did they take off the menu for this year
me too

Paducah, KY

#3 Sep 5, 2012
I have heard the same thing from kids. I think its some kind of health drive overdose to fight obesity. I agree that we should teach our kids to eat properly, but the school lunch isnt going to accomplish that. They can provide healthy food that is good and that the kids want to eat. School lunches used to be great back in the day. I'm not sure if there is much we can do about it.
yes we can

Walton, WV

#4 Sep 5, 2012
"yes we can" do you all know who said those famous words? well this is where the lunches all got changed now. they think one little meal is going to change the way our children eat they had all better think again. yes i would love to see children that are at their normal weight and adults too. but i think this all needs to start at home not by the school board. we pay for a lunch for our children they should be given a very flavorful meal. NOT CARD BOARD! let the board eat this crap. they are trying to feed our children like the people that are in the nursing homes are feed. this is terrible! SO I SUGGEST THAT EVERYONE IN RALEIGH COUNTY NOT BUY THEIR CHILDRENS LUNCH UNTIL GOOD FOOD IS BACK ON THE MENU. SO I SAY AGAIN "YES WE CAN". THOSE ARE THE WORDS OF OUR PRESIDENT OF OUR GREAT COUNTRY.GOD BLESS AMERICAN AND ALL OF OUR CHILDREN. IT IS COOL TO TAKE YOUR LUNCH FROM HOME TO PROVE THAT OUR CHILDREN WILL NOT EAT THIS NASTY TASTING FOOD. BUY THE FOOD YOUR CHILDREN LIKE AND PACK THEIR LUNCH EVERY DAY. UNTIL THEY RETURN TO A GOOD FLAVORED MENU.
starving

Beckley, WV

#5 Sep 6, 2012
My first grader comes home starving. Quality of food is very poor.
vote for that again!

Beckley, WV

#6 Sep 6, 2012
The ones that are complaining are the ones that voted for him! Also how many of them have family laid off or know someone thats laid off! Thanks to jobama! And his wife!
so sad

Oak Hill, WV

#7 Sep 6, 2012
I pack my kids lunch, because they dont like a lot that they have. also they little ones or big ones that is all they get is at school and wont eat it,I feel so sorry for them to go hungry ,and be that way when they go to bed. Bet the Presidents kids dont eat lunch at school. I do send extra .25 cents for milk plus they have their juice,we dont have snakes at our school. and when they take my food that I payed for to pack for my kids they better hope they are right with their maker.for I'll take it and stuff it down their neck ,dont mess with my kids or this momma will see you dont mess with another one
demographic

Kenna, WV

#8 Sep 6, 2012
Seriously wrote:
I would like to know how many area parents are displeased with the size of the meals they are paying for at school for their kids. Not only that, but along with the small portion sizes meals are often bland due to lack of seasoning and the children aren't given much ketchup, mustard or dressings to help the food be more apealing. So much food is being wasted, getting dumped in the trash because the kids won't eat it, I wouldn't either. I myself am not only paying for hot meals for my kid, but I have to give him extra cash so he can buy snack from the snack bar to keep him from starving before he gets home. How silly is that? I guess I spend about $6.00 a day at school for food for one kid. Now, that wouldn't bother me if he didn't get home starving everyday. And he thinks he's way too cool to carry a lunch to school. Anyway, if he were to carry a lunch, how long would it be before they start inspecting brown bag lunches and taking things out they think are not healthy engough? Please let me know your thoughts, I think we need to organize and do something about this.
The fact is kids have to eat what michelle big ass obama tells them to eat. She don't want any fat kids, but her big ass and her girls stay in the ice cream and cake shops.
single mom

United States

#9 Sep 6, 2012
My child is complaining too they need to do something
starving

Beckley, WV

#10 Sep 6, 2012
[QUOTE who="vote for that again!"]The ones that are complaining are the ones that voted for him! Also how many of them have family laid off or know someone thats laid off! Thanks to jobama! And his wife![/QUOTE]I for one did not vote for Obama and will not vote for him in November.
Yeah

Wooster, OH

#11 Sep 6, 2012
Oh stop it. Your kids are not starving. If you're hungry, you'll eat and guess what, it's healthy. I saw the meal that was served today. America has a big problem. We think we need need heaping piles of food on our plates and we don't. I would reconsider boycotting school lunch as you will cause many school cooks to lose their jobs, because there will be no need for them. If anything, proper training for school cooks to create a healthy, satisfying meals is the answer.
touched

Charleston, WV

#12 Sep 6, 2012
whether you vote for him or not everyone needs to band together and pack a lunch for your child and quit paying for the lunch program. if a child gets free lunch then parents you need to try to pack a lunch for them also.THIS IS NOT A CAMPAIGN FOR THE PRESIDENT! THIS IS TO TRY TO GET A BETTER LUNCH FOR OUR CHILDREN! if all the food goes to waste by everyone not buying lunch. then you can bet your lunch program will be change for the better. SO PLEASE EVERYONE STOP BUYING LUNCH AND BREAKFAST AT THE SCHOOLS IN RALEIGH COUNTY. NOW WE ALL KNOW WHY THE OTHER COUNTIES ARE GIVING FREE BREAKFASTS AND LUNCHES TO ALL THE STUDENTS. IT'S NOT WORTH PAYING FOR. CALL THE BOARD AND VOICE YOUR THOUGHTS!
Unknown

Beckley, WV

#13 Sep 6, 2012
I know a cook in Raleigh County and she is a very good cook. Raleigh County got a new dietary woman and she is going by Michelle Obamas ideas. I know they are doing away with potatos. That includes French fries, mashed potatoes, and baked potatoes. They are now serving sweet potatoes. They are doing away with a lot of breakfast food like super buns and cinnamon rolls. They are going to have more raw vegetables with lunch. A lot of things are changing and I really don't think too many kids are going to eat. It really isn't the cooks fault the food is bad they have recipes they have to go by and those recipes have no flavor. They can get wrote up if they change it or add flavor to it. They can only give I think 2 ketsup packs and only 1 mayonaise and they can't have both. It's crazy. I'm so glad it wasn't too bad when i was in school.
healthy

Charleston, WV

#14 Sep 6, 2012
I know a lot of cooks in Raleigh County also and yes they where good cooks until this year because of the new menu change. no it's not their fault. but the children do like good tasting food. i understand they have guide lines to go by, so the parents need to talk to the BIG GUY AT THE SCHOOL BOARD ABOUT THIS CARD BOARD FLAVOR FOOD. Healthy is great but it can also taste GOOD!
vote for that again!

Ardsley, NY

#15 Sep 7, 2012
So what about the kids that go straight to practice EVERYDAY! Do you think they have energy to do so? Than they come home and eat like they are starved. How is that making them healthy.
Seriously

Shirley, WV

#16 Sep 7, 2012
[QUOTE who="vote for that again!"]The ones that are complaining are the ones that voted for him! Also how many of them have family laid off or know someone thats laid off! Thanks to jobama! And his wife![/QUOTE]
I am not a supporter of the current administration. I assure you I did not vote for him, and will vote against him yet again in November. I was raised by a coal mining father, coal paid for my college education and now pays my salary and provides me the income I need to raise my family. I know what runs our economy, and I know what hurts our economy. I am my child's advocate, it is my job to see that he is treated well and fairly, that is why I feel that I should voice my opinion about school meals. Don't be so quick to judge.
Seriously

Shirley, WV

#17 Sep 7, 2012
Yeah wrote:
Oh stop it. Your kids are not starving. If you're hungry, you'll eat and guess what, it's healthy. I saw the meal that was served today. America has a big problem. We think we need need heaping piles of food on our plates and we don't. I would reconsider boycotting school lunch as you will cause many school cooks to lose their jobs, because there will be no need for them. If anything, proper training for school cooks to create a healthy, satisfying meals is the answer.
No, my child is not going to be scarred by small, unappetizing meals at school, but, he is not obese and does not need to loose any weight (5"5, 125#, active, good muscle tone). The new guidelines for the meals at school were based on the nutritional and caloric needs of obese children. While I agree that healthy meals are vitally important to our kids, I do not believe that already healthy kids should be penalized. They have decided to have gym class all year instead of only 1 semester. I do think that is a step in the right direction.
Seriously

Shirley, WV

#18 Sep 7, 2012
Unknown wrote:
I know a cook in Raleigh County and she is a very good cook. Raleigh County got a new dietary woman and she is going by Michelle Obamas ideas. I know they are doing away with potatos. That includes French fries, mashed potatoes, and baked potatoes. They are now serving sweet potatoes. They are doing away with a lot of breakfast food like super buns and cinnamon rolls. They are going to have more raw vegetables with lunch. A lot of things are changing and I really don't think too many kids are going to eat. It really isn't the cooks fault the food is bad they have recipes they have to go by and those recipes have no flavor. They can get wrote up if they change it or add flavor to it. They can only give I think 2 ketsup packs and only 1 mayonaise and they can't have both. It's crazy. I'm so glad it wasn't too bad when i was in school.
I spoke with Teresa Baker from the Raleigh County Schools Nutrition Office yesterday. The West Virginia Department of Education could opt out of M. Obama's nutrition program, but if they do, West Virginia Schools will miss out on some Federal Grants. I hate to say this, but I'm not surprised. It's a shame but it all goes back to money.

From what I can tell, no one likes this new program, the school administration, teachers, cooks, parents or kids. Even people at the board office don't have much good to say about it. The sad fact is that WV schools need money from the federal level and this is part of what they have to do to get it. I hate that this will be teaching our kids how to "sell out" at such an early age. I'm not going to sell out. I am going to keep standing for what I believe is right. Being true to ourselves, our families and our communities is imperative.
Imo

Mount Laurel, NJ

#19 Sep 7, 2012
I'd like to see mrs Obama sit down with these kids and eat that trash.
Yeah

Wooster, OH

#20 Sep 7, 2012
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
No, my child is not going to be scarred by small, unappetizing meals at school, but, he is not obese and does not need to loose any weight (5"5, 125#, active, good muscle tone). The new guidelines for the meals at school were based on the nutritional and caloric needs of obese children. While I agree that healthy meals are vitally important to our kids, I do not believe that already healthy kids should be penalized. They have decided to have gym class all year instead of only 1 semester. I do think that is a step in the right direction.
Physical activity all year? Yes! That is absolutely a step in the right direction. As I mentioned, there are training programs for cooks and it will help.
This program has been going very well in other counties and states.

This is why WV is always left behind...our unwillingness to change. Get on board, help get these ladies trained.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clear Creek Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 13 hr Dazed 4,396
Find Waynie Patterson Jan 10 Charlie Rock 2
who was the best basketball players from mt.hop... (Jan '11) Jan 10 LBJ 40
Sonia Meredith Jan 6 bitch 1
David Smith (Jun '13) Jan 2 Timmy 14
It is getting worse here Jan 1 sistersalvation 3
Murder in Bradley (May '14) Dec 31 Douglasdicken 56

Clear Creek Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance