Single female boomers: retired and br...

Single female boomers: retired and broke | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 19 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jun 19, 2011, titled Single female boomers: retired and broke | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Female baby boomers shattered glass ceilings and enrolled in colleges that shut out their mothers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Hedy Lamarr

Carlsbad, CA

#1 Jun 19, 2011
They've come a long way, baby. They can smoke their own cigarettes and get ugly tattoos and no amount of plastic surgery will bring back their youth and attractiveness squandered while trying to act like men. A clueless generation now reaping a bitter, worn out harvest.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#2 Jun 19, 2011
Too bad they spent all their money on shoes.
zip it

Blacklick, OH

#3 Jun 19, 2011
Big Johnson wrote:
Too bad they spent all their money on shoes.
But they were on sale!!!
Miss Rosie

Beaver Falls, PA

#4 Jun 19, 2011
Re-read the story ! Women worked for many reasons but always made less than their male counterparts did. Men got promoted, women didn't. I once took a civil service test for an auditors position with state government, I passed, all eleven men did not. The test was thrown out and had to be taken over again. Men got five points added because they were drafted and served in the military to a passing score.Women were not drafted but of course could go to the service if they wanted to, but "back then" most women did not.When we were growing up, having children, having husbands wanting a divorce because of a mid-life crisis,having to go to work.... we didn't understand what was going to happen when we reached retirement age, after all, a woman's work is never done !!
Cole

Satellite Provider

#5 Jun 19, 2011
Miss Rosie wrote:
Re-read the story ! Women worked for many reasons but always made less than their male counterparts did. Men got promoted, women didn't. I once took a civil service test for an auditors position with state government, I passed, all eleven men did not. The test was thrown out and had to be taken over again. Men got five points added because they were drafted and served in the military to a passing score.Women were not drafted but of course could go to the service if they wanted to, but "back then" most women did not.When we were growing up, having children, having husbands wanting a divorce because of a mid-life crisis,having to go to work.... we didn't understand what was going to happen when we reached retirement age, after all, a woman's work is never done !!
All you did was set a bad example and now your daughters and their granddaughters are making even bigger mistakes. Those men whom you tested against served in WWII and Korea. They deserve every break that they were ever given and then some. Your job was to take care of them.
GAL

United States

#6 Jun 19, 2011
Looks like even after all these years, the mentality of the male majority has not changed (at least the majority above). In the 70's there was a phase to describe these guys ... M.C.P. No wonder we divorced them!
Miss Rosie

Beaver Falls, PA

#7 Jun 19, 2011
Thanks,Gal !! bad example my foot !! We worked harder than the men did just to get the pay we got,much less than theirs..on the same job. They assumed they had it coming to them and more!!But while they were off fighting WW2, Rosie the Riveters were here at home making sure there was a job for them to come home to,working their butts off. Also, the women who volunteered to take the damaged planes to bases to be repaired were not even acknowledged by our government until a couple of years ago. men wouldn't fly the planes because they were afraid they would crash.Thank God not all men are like Cole!And for the record, my daughter and her daughters learned from my mistakes because I told them, and they are well taken care of with their own 401K's !! Women admit when they make a mistake.men seldom do!
Heff

Toledo, OH

#8 Jun 19, 2011
Miss Rosie wrote:
Thanks,Gal !! bad example my foot !! We worked harder than the men did just to get the pay we got,much less than theirs..on the same job. They assumed they had it coming to them and more!!But while they were off fighting WW2, Rosie the Riveters were here at home making sure there was a job for them to come home to,working their butts off. Also, the women who volunteered to take the damaged planes to bases to be repaired were not even acknowledged by our government until a couple of years ago. men wouldn't fly the planes because they were afraid they would crash.Thank God not all men are like Cole!And for the record, my daughter and her daughters learned from my mistakes because I told them, and they are well taken care of with their own 401K's !! Women admit when they make a mistake.men seldom do!
women were put on earth for one reason to sevice mans needs
Publius

Columbus, OH

#9 Jun 19, 2011
Hmmm. Probably shouldn't have listened to Gloria Steinem and Betty Friedan about that whole "...fish without a bicycle"-thing.

Yesterday an article about out of control youth violence. Today an article about broke Boomer biddies. See what happens when you villify men or tell them they are irrelevent?!?

Nice world you created there, Boomers. Too bad the rest of us have to live with the consequences.....
Publius

Columbus, OH

#10 Jun 19, 2011
"For me, this is the difference between paying my bills and getting to have some fun," Woodard said.

Welcome top real world Arnita. That is what being a grown up is all about. If you haven't gotten thay message by now, you never will.

The world will be a much better place when the very last Baby Boomer leaves this planet. Too bad they reproduced while they were here....
Publius

Columbus, OH

#11 Jun 19, 2011
Oh, I forgot to mention this.....

BOO----FREAKIN'-----HOO!

Since: Feb 11

Roy, WA

#12 Jun 19, 2011
There is some equal justice at the end after all

for men. Better late than never. Guess that means I

can't find that old lady to spend her money on me.

Guess I'll have to go back to that 28 year old

bombshell with the 44DD...life is so unfair..NOT!

Are you listening Snookie, Kardashian & all the

other materialistic bimbo's of 2011.

Since: Feb 11

Roy, WA

#13 Jun 19, 2011
History of my married life:

1st wife - she left.

2nd wife - I left.

3rd wife - we both left.

4th wifey - I bought her out with a fifth of Scotch & 6 pairs of shoes.

5th---got a dog..should of done this at the start...dog doesn't nag..doesn't
take the covers & I trained HIM to leave the toilet seat down.

Stay single..stay sane.
Cosmos Kramer

Toledo, OH

#14 Jun 19, 2011
Retiredman wrote:
History of my married life:
1st wife - she left.
2nd wife - I left.
3rd wife - we both left.
4th wifey - I bought her out with a fifth of Scotch & 6 pairs of shoes.
5th---got a dog..should of done this at the start...dog doesn't nag..doesn't
take the covers & I trained HIM to leave the toilet seat down.
Stay single..stay sane.
It's a prison, a self made prison. your doing time!
FBO

Fremont, CA

#15 Jun 19, 2011
You've gone no where baby!

Now maybe women can start acting like women again.

The lib movement was a absolute failure.
Count Me

Columbus, OH

#16 Jun 20, 2011
Miss Rosie wrote:
The mistake is getting married in the first place. I ran and worked the businees we had up to fifteen hours a day. He worked anywhere from 3 - 6 hours a day. I got cancer and then a pink slip. Yes, I'm one of the seven million so-called cancer surivors, hosed out by radiation, living on welfare. As long as the medical industry insists that it knows what's best for us, that number will soon double. As long as men are allowed to remain boys all of their lives, nothing else will change, either. I've never met a girl who refuses to work. The boys, however, live with mom until she dies.
Count Me

Columbus, OH

#17 Jun 20, 2011
FBO wrote:
You've gone no where baby!
Now maybe women can start acting like women again.
The lib movement was a absolute failure.
When, exactly, are men going to act like men? Does your salary cover a family of four with medical and college expenses included?
boomer babe

Clementon, NJ

#19 Jun 20, 2011
Miss Rosie wrote:
Isn't the article about baby boomer women? Baby boomers were the generation after WW2. Rosy the riviter was not a baby boomer. Other than that, I do not disagree with you about the contributions that women have made to society and the nation.
Broke in Austin TX

Austin, TX

#20 Jul 12, 2011
Well I'm in this group of females. I'm 52, college educated tax accountant with a great resume but when I got cut from my last great position as a tax senior for a major company suddenly I was too old and undesirable. I now work for $30,000 per year which is less than I started my first position out of college at $37,000. I no longer have any retirement left, or savings or home and I owe more money on my car than it is worth. I have no husband, no parents and my children are 18 and 22 so they can't help me. One of my sister's is in worse shape than me and the other is just getting by. There is no government hand out, I have already had a nervous breakdown and spent a week in the mental hospital so for the past year I sometimes go hungry, I'm behind on bills, if my cell phone is working then I see the bill collectors burning up my phone seven days a week even Sunday's they call and call and I can't do anything.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clayton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Planned Parenthood Sells Hormone Poisoning, Gen... 6 hr cpeter1313 3
Missing Dog? Tue DevonCM 1
bob lee Jan 14 here now 1
Does anyone know Chris Flood aka CJ Computers (Apr '13) Jan 13 Karma 6
Man Kilt on Kilt Way Drive (Jul '11) Jan 12 Redneck 13
Michael Christopher Estes: Heart in the Right P... Jan 12 Derp Derp de Derp 1
Congratulations Coach K 1000 Cans Black Shoe Po... (Jan '15) Jan 10 AIDS Alert 6

Clayton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Clayton Mortgages