10 accused, 1 conviction: What went w...

10 accused, 1 conviction: What went wrong?

There are 38 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Sep 7, 2007, titled 10 accused, 1 conviction: What went wrong?. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

In the nearly 18 months since Carl Brizzi stood before news cameras to announce sweeping allegations of sexual abuse and misconduct against 10 workers at Marion County's juvenile lockup, prosecutors clinched ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
What

Roanoke, IN

#22 Sep 8, 2007
The Juvenile center is run by the Executive Committee, which is a group of Marion County Judges. They make the calls, no one else. Neither FSSA nor Department of Child Services have any say in how the Marion County Juvenile Center is run.
Roger That

Indianapolis, IN

#23 Sep 8, 2007
Brizzi is a bumbling idiot.

No sworn statements = drop the charges

Dork.
Victim

Kokomo, IN

#24 Sep 8, 2007
Beech Grove Mom wrote:
This is just plain awful. If one of the guys plead guilty, then you would think that the investigation would be taken further. Maybe the girls were threatened by other guards or girls in the school if they went to court and testified.
noone was threated these girls lied. Think about it If you were told you were facing 60 years or one year probation just to say what they want? with the some of the curruptness in the world, who is to say they wouldn't take it? when faced with the options given if you are not a strong person you will do whatever to stay out of jail. Think about this, if state had such a strong case do you think they would offer such a good plee? no, they noticed weakness and acted on it. Many people would of done the same thing. They wanted only a conviction rate at no matter what means. Some good people had dirt slung on their names for no reason. Let's lock up these girls who falsely assused these men. When will there be an apology? they new they didn't have a case and admitted this. Why did it go this far. When will the state Apologize to my husband and my family for this horrible tradegy and put that one the front page of the paper!! No I don't think that will happen. My innocent children lived through this tradegy. They had to be moved from their home and go to school with their friends knowing this. Fortunatly they have a good home life, plenty of family, real friends, and HONEST parents to help them through this. My son has severly suffered through this tradegy. Try having a 3 year old who is used to having mommy and daddy home everynite for dinner and bedtime and then daddy is gone for days. Yeah, that is a true tragedy. our son has a stress disorder due to this bull.... and now is nervous for his dad to go to work still. That is not even the half of the injustice this state has done to my son. It is sicking and he will never trust a law officer in his life. He had a bad experience with the law one day with his dad due to these accusations. Yeah, with my 3 year old son. Now he has nervous ticks when ever he sees a police car or an officer. One week after this happened our son had to have his brain check for Touretts syndrome cause of his nervous ticks.This disease is in most children and can be triggered by stress and anxiety. Guess what this did it. He will cry at the drop of a hat, and is very nervous. He is only 5 now, and will live with this all his life. Now that is what is sick. No one knows what some of these men and their familys have gone through. The justice system is sickening and I am ashamed to say that I help pay the salaries.
question

Indianapolis, IN

#25 Sep 8, 2007
To What:

Was Mr Payne judge when these instances occurred? I think you're saying that if so, he helpef run the show there and thereofre surely was a witness who should have been or was interviewed as a part of this investigation?

IF so, Id like to know if the brizzi family was paid by Mr Payne's agency during the investigation for even one day and if so, how much?

Just would like to know
onemorething

Indianapolis, IN

#26 Sep 8, 2007
ALso, to Victim:
i would demand a public apology from the prosecutor using the same tv cameras he called together in the first place if i were you...
JustSoYouKnow

United States

#27 Sep 8, 2007
westsider wrote:
dont you think the girls are scared to say anything else because of where they are, no matter what these are kids and you are to protect them now who will.these are trouble kids and didnt deserve what happen to them in state custdy.so now these people will get a break what will happen to the grils now,keep an on all the girls so this dont happen to know one .
The "accusers" aka "assumed victims" are all adults now and recanted their stories. The one conviction came because the guy took a plea agreement for fear he could not fight for his rights to the real truth. So many innocent will run with a plea agreement and this is truly sad.
Brizzi-Watch

Indianapolis, IN

#28 Sep 8, 2007
Here he goes again. Carl Brizzi needs a full time babysitter. He is supposed to protect us from criminals and all he can do is take the side of criminals.
Police Officers and Corrections Officers have a new enemy, the criminal loving Carl Brizzi!!!
Hippie

Fort Wayne, IN

#29 Sep 8, 2007
AMB wrote:
<quoted text>
Male guards are not allowed to be alone with females in the juvenile center- that is one detail that the investigators could not explain. The girls were making things up.
Young girls are pretty sneaky. When Hippie worked up at the JC, the girls snuck in some cigarettes, hidden in the hem of their sweatshirts. I thought I was in big trouble,as I had taken them out of the center to the doctor, but it turns out the female guards said it was quite common place for them to be little sneaks.
Oops

United States

#30 Sep 8, 2007
Interesting wrote:
Well there are better changes and improvements at the Center now. Hopefully with all of the new security in place and better staff, the County won't have these issues in the future. Let's just move forward please.
Is that what we tell the guy who took the plea because he feared his freedom would be gone for a very long time.... "let's just move forward"?
Former Youth Care Worker

United States

#31 Sep 8, 2007
Brizzi screwed up and should be held accountable at some level. Adults who choose to work with emotionally disturbed children surely don't do it for the money alone. There is so much at stake that can affect outcomes for both the youth and the worker, that it does a disservice to everyone involved to proceed to criminalize based on mere allegations alone. Many job applications for positions working with children today ask the question, "Have you ever been accused of...? Is it now fair for these exonerated people to have to answer yes to that question knowing that most employers will not take a chance with hiring someone who answers yes. The workers now have their freedom, where do they go to reclaim their reputation. Yes Brizzi should be held accountable to bring the real justice to this case.
notinIndy

AOL

#32 Sep 8, 2007
some body got paid off
watchin ya

AOL

#33 Sep 8, 2007
Ditto
Kenny wrote:
You've got to get sworn testimonies under oath. Without it you have nothing so, they had nothing. Brizzi screwed up as it seems he has many times in the past. The only difference this time is the screw up didn't fit his style.
His conviction rate is so high among the poor and blacks but corporate white guy nothing. Seems he only wins the easy ones, the ones that are so obvious.
Time for a change in government.
REALIST

AOL

#34 Sep 8, 2007
Robert Jordan wrote:
Nothing went wrong.The election is over. Many of the high profile cases before the election end up just like this after the election. Prosecutors are politicians like the rest of their scumbag politicians. It just that they have more power over individual citizens than most. They abuse it too.
What a childish, little girl thing to say. It reminds me of a little teeny bopper who sees a girl who's cuter than she is and goes, "What a little tramp!"

If you think politics is corrupt, unfair, run the wrong way...yada yada yada, then run yourself and show us all how it's done. After all, you're one of the idiots who keeps electing these people you claim to loathe.
Publicity stunt

Indianapolis, IN

#35 Sep 8, 2007
There is nothing like a big show to help them get millions for renovation to the facility. You stir up public opinion concerning charges about abuse at the facility, bring charges against some workers and then you get the millions for renovation. What a great publicity stunt and you got the money. Someone really planned this out.
all to often

Indianapolis, IN

#42 Sep 8, 2007
too many times they go and ruin peoples lives all because they jump the gun. know what you have before you proceed. for 9 people to be innocent and for you to ruin the rest of their lives is rediculous. ruin someones life all because you want to look like a hero on Dateline. now for the rest of they're lives (and quite a few of them are young and have a long life ahead of them) they'll have this crap hanging over their heads and ruining any chance they have of fair treatment because you don't investigate before you act.
ABHORS DUMB COMMENTS

AOL

#43 Sep 8, 2007
Former Youth Care Worker wrote:
Brizzi screwed up and should be held accountable at some level. Adults who choose to work with emotionally disturbed children surely don't do it for the money alone. There is so much at stake that can affect outcomes for both the youth and the worker, that it does a disservice to everyone involved to proceed to criminalize based on mere allegations alone. Many job applications for positions working with children today ask the question, "Have you ever been accused of...? Is it now fair for these exonerated people to have to answer yes to that question knowing that most employers will not take a chance with hiring someone who answers yes. The workers now have their freedom, where do they go to reclaim their reputation. Yes Brizzi should be held accountable to bring the real justice to this case.
Hmm, since he's an elected official and has no boss, I wonder what level he should be held accountable on? Level 1? Level 2? What are you even talking about?

What does "criminalize on mere allegations alone" mean? When "charges" are filed, that's what the charges are -- allegations. The trial is to test whether those allegations can be proven to the highest level of proof under American law -- beyond a reasonable doubt. The allegations were made, the trial was held, the defendants were acquitted. That's how it works.
THINK ABOUT IT

South Bend, IN

#44 Sep 10, 2007
I think that Brizzi jumped the gun before he knew all the facts. Once he knew the facts he had already put his head up his a** and was unable to pull it back out so he had no choice but to see it though to the end and watch it fall apart.
ABHORS STUPID COMMENTS

AOL

#45 Sep 10, 2007
THINK ABOUT IT wrote:
I think that Brizzi jumped the gun before he knew all the facts. Once he knew the facts he had already put his head up his a** and was unable to pull it back out so he had no choice but to see it though to the end and watch it fall apart.
Yours is the most intelligent anti-Brizzi comment I've seen and may be correct. I'm completely neutral and I really have no dogs in this race. I just get annoyed with the weird, ridiculous conspiracy theories and totally implausible notions advanced by some of these crackpot posters.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clayton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Unsolved Plainfield Homicide (Jul '09) Jul 16 Donna McIntyre 8
News When The KKK Was Mainstream (Mar '15) Jun 27 Evelyn 17
Matt and the pretty girl at Hardee's (Nov '16) Jun 21 Addie 7
Anyone know the owner of Accutek Radar Imaging ... (Apr '10) May '17 Christina Pavey 6
News Police, Fire a " April 10 Apr '17 scarboroughB 1
News Injured man found in a ditch along I-70 (Feb '13) Feb '13 kz kraze 1
News Students hold sit-in at school gym after 6 susp... (May '12) May '12 Parent of Delphi ... 1

Clayton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Clayton Mortgages