Marc

Roslyn, NY

#1 Aug 2, 2007
There use to be a camp called Sky Lake in Sautee, Ga

Do you have any info on it.
home boy

Sautee Nacoochee, GA

#2 Aug 3, 2007
Sky lake is still there but is a subdivision now.
Sky Lake Camper

AOL

#3 Dec 11, 2007
Marc wrote:
I've got lots of information about Sky Lake Camp. I was a camper there for 6 years during the 1950's. I just finished scanning the pictures I have from Sky Lake although I don't have very many. If the "official" camp pictures still exist, I know who might have them. The camp published a newsletter twice a week. We used the back side to write our letters home. My mother saved the majority of letters by brother and I wrote and I have them now. I also have a few other things. I also occasionally see several other people who went to Sky Lake. Several years ago, the William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum in Atlanta (where I live), had an exhibit featuring southern Jewish camps. Sky Lake was one of the camps featured. You can contact me at LegalCohen@aol.com.
rick1881

San Diego, CA

#4 Feb 13, 2008
I was there in 55-56 I think, best time I ever had. I bunked with Paul Eirlic, Tom May, Richard Bunzel and Drew Gutterly.
judy

Cincinnati, OH

#5 May 28, 2008
I went to sky lake c 1956-58. I remember the Singers, the Altmans, bunkmates claudia lewis, patty shofler, susan able, etc.,the main dining hall, the bridge to the boys' side, fireworks on the 4th of July, cool nights, muddy lake, ceramics, going for walks to hunt for imaginary animals, South Pacific, the pavillion... you can contact me at jbgee@fuse.net
judy

Cincinnati, OH

#6 May 28, 2008
p.s. and Paul Erlich's sister Peggy was my counselor.
Chet Weston

Glendale, CA

#7 Aug 12, 2008
aka Chet Greenberg. <OMG> I was just Googling Sky Lake Camp, never dreaming in a million years I'd find a thing. My brother Dick & I went for 4 summers between 55-58...some of my fondest memories. I remember all the cabin names and, especially Chalet on the girls' side. The Lodge, the bridge, Tatum Shoals, Tray Mtn, supper rides with Roz Klausman, the equestrian instructor who brought her Tennessee Walker "Sir Strolling Jon" every summer. I lived at the stables and was obssessed with riding...I recall almost all the horses' names. Remember "Backwards Day" and "Camper/Counselor Day" when you could be any counselor you wanted to be for the day? I remember South Pacific, too, and I was in The King & I one summer in that huge playhouse with the tin roof. And, Vespers with Rabbi Singer as we sang camp songs and watched dew falling on the lake. Does anyone recall a counselor Jolane Einstein? If I'm correct, she was Albert's niece! I grew up in Atlanta and it was so great reuniting with all my friends from N.Y., Chicago, Florida and other places every summer...it all seems like a dream now. My best friend those summers was Rocky Rockhind from Miami but we lost touch the last summer after camp. I've been in L.A. since '65, now retired and eventually relocating to Seattle...I can just not get the pine trees and mountains out of my mind. I can be contacted at: nepenthechet@gmail.com if anyone is so inclined. I can't imagine being remembered but, who knows?
Tommy

Dallas, TX

#8 Sep 24, 2008
I was there in the 50's too. That place has soooo many great memories for me. I did almost every "first" there too.

I've just recently started a group on Facebook to try and get in touch with other Sky Lake alums to revive old (and I mean old) friendships and perhaps relive some of those old memories with old friends.

If you are or know someone who went to camp at Sky Lake, join and pass this along.

Tommy
Carol

Birmingham, AL

#9 Oct 24, 2008
Boy, those were the good ole days. I remember our footlockers that we had all our clothes in and getting up and wearing our blue shorts and crisp white shirts to flog raising. The movie nights were fun and you always wanted to sit with a guy. It was very romantic. I remember the bridge and alot of the names of the kids. Where are Greg Shore, Bud Medoff, Tommy May and Paul Erlich? Tommy and Paul are in Atlanta I believe. I am in Birmingham and would love to touch base with some of you. Claudia Lewis and I are still friends and keep up. I remember Susan Able too. I love these memories.
I can be reached at cminisman@gmail.com
Claudia

AOL

#10 Oct 25, 2008
I was at Sky Lake 10 years! My cousins Natalie, Barbara, & Hank Klausman got me there at 7 yrs. old & their mother, my Aunt Roz (remember when we'd all sing "Ain't She Sweet" whenever she'd come into the dining room?!)has a tombstome on the property. Since I moved to Miami in 1972, I've reconnected with some Miami Sky Lakers--Susan Abel, Ronnie Jackowitz, Cara Gardner, Mark Epstein, Henry Stevens. Bud Medoff is in Boston, Laura Krugman lives in France. I can be reached at GaPeach999@aol.com. PS Judy, what was your last name?
Susan Abel Postal

Hollywood, FL

#11 Nov 27, 2008
Marc wrote:
Which Marc are you and where are you from?
I went to Sky Lake from 1957-1963. I am still in touch with a lot of former Sky Lakers.
Did we know each other?
Susan (Suzi) Abel Postal
suellen goldstein

AOL

#12 Dec 21, 2008
went to sky lake when i was 7 ~ came from brimingham AL with mother ( skipper) and sisters Joanne and Barbara taught horback riding as a councelor ~ i have a memoring like an elephant and will never forget anything anout the woderful summers i spent there ~ so " remember when the sun goes down , it returns with a bright tomorrow " here's to the memories and all of you !
warmly, suellen ( sestrin123@aol.com )
Paul

United States

#13 Feb 3, 2009
Susan Abel Postal wrote:
<quoted text>
Which Marc are you and where are you from?
I went to Sky Lake from 1957-1963. I am still in touch with a lot of former Sky Lakers.
Did we know each other?
Susan (Suzi) Abel Postal
I went to SkyLake in the early 1960's and my mom (Joan) was one of the nurses there.
Paul (Miami)
Paul

United States

#14 Feb 3, 2009
I went there in the early 1960's for one summer. My mother (Joan) was the camp nurse.

Paul (Miami)
Donna

United States

#15 Jul 18, 2009
Hi Suzi, and others
My husband,Ira and I owned Skylake fro '62-'67.
Remembering all the names, places and events that y'all are talking about. It was near the end of "the good-old days" that we were involved with Sky-Lake,but those memories still hold a special place in our heart. Upper-lake, lower-lake, Chalet, Lucille in the kitchen, Bean Creek, the waterfall, white-lightening. "Here's to Sky-Lake our camps the Best.....
Susan Abel Postal

Hollywood, FL

#16 Sep 11, 2009
Donna wrote:
Hi Suzi, and others
My husband,Ira and I owned Skylake fro '62-'67.
Remembering all the names, places and events that y'all are talking about. It was near the end of "the good-old days" that we were involved with Sky-Lake,but those memories still hold a special place in our heart. Upper-lake, lower-lake, Chalet, Lucille in the kitchen, Bean Creek, the waterfall, white-lightening. "Here's to Sky-Lake our camps the Best.....
09/11/09 - Dear Dear Donns, I cannot believe I decided to look at this site after many months. I was truly excited to see your message. I wonder when or if you will ever see this.
We have a somewhat active Sky Lake Camp, Sautee, Ga. page on facebook. If you see it, you will definitely recognize many Sky Lakers who you and Ira knew.
How I would live to talk to you after all these years. As you can well imagine, I have stayed in touch with many SLC friends over the years.
SKY LAKE IS MORE THAN JUST A SUMMER, and, by the way, do you still use Clearasil and have chicken soup on Friday night.
Much love,
Susan Abel (Medof) Postal
Donna

United States

#17 Sep 12, 2009
Hi Suzie,
No more clearasil- now just wrinkle remover. We're in Boca, fat and sassy. I guess the spirit of Sky Lake never leaves you!! There were good times. And for sure, youth is wasted on the young. Hope your're doing well and we'll try to call.
Love,
Donna
Judy Marx Gee

Erlanger, KY

#18 Sep 23, 2009
Claudia,

I'm Judy Marx from Saxony, and Lookout! And Merwin Shurberg's second wife Marge (Marx)'s daughter. I'm not in Sarasota, but do visit often. Merwin and mom had some good years together until he died c.1997. He was a wonderful guy.

Susie, good to see your post- i just happened to google Sky Lake after looking at your great photos (does anyone have any of South Pacific?). Hope all is well with you.
Fro

Ozark, AL

#19 Sep 24, 2009
Marc wrote:
Do you have any info on it.no
no
Susan Abel Postal

Hollywood, FL

#20 Dec 20, 2009
********** Eager Beavers Reunite **********

Go To Facebook: Sky Lake Camps, Sautee, Ga
A lot of your old friends are waiting
there for you and your fond memories....

"Sky Lake is More than just a Summer"
We want to hear from you now.

"A toast to the past -
A toast to the future-
and let there be no sorrow -
Remember when the sun goes down -
It returns with a bright tomorrow...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clayton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Florida Transplant Wanting to Move to Rabun (Apr '14) Oct '14 Belle Blue 8
Review: Fast Lane Oil And Lube Oct '14 Nick 1
busted Sep '14 bolthead 1
anyone know bruce abbott (Jan '10) Sep '14 karma 2
I support Nathan Deal 2014 Aug '14 thetruth 2
Best friends ruin their friends life because ru... Aug '14 ARealFriend 1
House Hunting Aug '14 House hunting 1

Clayton News Video

Clayton Dating
Find my Match