$150M biodiesel plant to start in October

A French agricultural company dedicated a $150 million soybean biodiesel production plant Tuesday that's expected to produce about 88 million gallons of the fuel annually. Full Story
INDY-RN

Evansville, IN

#1 Aug 22, 2007
Now if I could buy a small bluetech style diesel in a Ford Tarus that would get 30 MPG in the city and 45 MPG on the Highway.....

You listening FORD?
Btown

Bloomington, IN

#2 Aug 22, 2007
If we build enough of these plants can we start to get rid of farm subsidies? I'm also a little disappointed that no one has blasted Mitch for investing in clean energy. I would also love to have a diesel Tacoma and hope Toyota starts selling them in the US.
Hmmmmm

Louisville, KY

#3 Aug 22, 2007
As the owner of a Biodiesel running VW Jetta that gets 40 MPG city and 49 MGP hwy, It's great that people are seeing alternative fuel options.
Biodiesel=cleaner burning, better gas milage, cheaper and no dependance on foreign oil. Biodiesel isn't a complete solution (we can't make enought biodiesel to run all the cars) but it's a great piece of the solution.
CHS Grad 1977

Birmingham, AL

#4 Aug 22, 2007
funny that when Rudolph Diesel invented his engine it was first designed to run on PEANUT OIL...

interesting
hgbeebe

Fort Wayne, IN

#5 Aug 22, 2007
Btown wrote:
If we build enough of these plants can we start to get rid of farm subsidies? I'm also a little disappointed that no one has blasted Mitch for investing in clean energy. I would also love to have a diesel Tacoma and hope Toyota starts selling them in the US.
Did you know the MAJORITY of the "so called" $$$$ "farm subsidies" went to provide food for the poor across the U.S.?????
Fed up with hypocrisy

Wixom, MI

#6 Aug 22, 2007
Just an interesting side note... Bio Fuels can also be made from waste vegetable products like saw dust and leaves from trees with the proper process being used. Corn and soybeans aren't the only options. Also, these products can be further processed to run in gasoline powered engines. Food for thought.
Purduegrad

South Bend, IN

#7 Aug 22, 2007
Maybe we could not make enough biodiesel to run all of the cars, but we could sure make alot more if it were not for the Conservation Reserve Program idling something like 35 miliion acres. Case in point, my cousin "idles" actually he grows various weeds on his 400 acres. For "idling' this land he receives $115/acre. That folks is 46,000 in taxpayer money per year.
Now let's take an average yeild of 40 bushels per acre times 400, that gives us 16000 bushels of beans, yes I know it takes fuel to produce the beans, but let's save that for later. If you get 2 gallons of oil per bushel taht gives us 32000 gallons of biodiesel. Now let's say we need a total of 10 gallons of diesel/acre to achieve this(most likely a highfigure) net production is still 28000 gallons.Now lets put that into an efficient car say 30 miles per gallon and you end up with 840000 miles of travel. Not bad from one farm. This is besides the tax savings of 46000. Upside to this is the fact that there are 35 million acres in reserve in the US.
Andy

Pryor, OK

#8 Aug 22, 2007
Folks we need to remember who is currently the president of the United States. As long as Oil Bush remains in the the white house there will be no push for bio fuels. Bush only backs those forms of alternative fuels which can be controlled by the big oil companies. We need to get away from oil from the mideast and start pushing for oil from the United states. Ethanol and bio fuels make sense to everyone but the billion dollar oil companies. and of course thier champion bought and paid for politician George Bush
CHS Grad 1977

Birmingham, AL

#9 Aug 22, 2007
Andy wrote:
Folks we need to remember who is currently the president of the United States. As long as Oil Bush remains in the the white house there will be no push for bio fuels. Bush only backs those forms of alternative fuels which can be controlled by the big oil companies. We need to get away from oil from the mideast and start pushing for oil from the United states. Ethanol and bio fuels make sense to everyone but the billion dollar oil companies. and of course thier champion bought and paid for politician George Bush
actually we need to get away from OIL PERIOD....

focus reserch onto GEO-Thermal energy we have developed drilling technology we can drill MILES into the earth's crust and to HEAT WATER to the boiling point ant that's all we need to run STEAM TURBINES/electric generators

and the steam turbines will run FOREVER on Geo thermal heat
Matt

Westfield, IN

#10 Aug 22, 2007
Nuke the middle east, lets all just get bycicles. It will help us look more like our "parent" country China.
Better Than Ethanol

AOL

#11 Aug 22, 2007
This is a stop-gap filler until we can get nuclear power plants built.
Better Than Ethanol

AOL

#12 Aug 22, 2007
CHS Grad 1977 wrote:
<quoted text>
actually we need to get away from OIL PERIOD....
focus reserch onto GEO-Thermal energy we have developed drilling technology we can drill MILES into the earth's crust and to HEAT WATER to the boiling point ant that's all we need to run STEAM TURBINES/electric generators
and the steam turbines will run FOREVER on Geo thermal heat
This is so insignificant it's not worth talking about. Nuclear power is the only longterm solution.
CHS Grad 1977

Birmingham, AL

#13 Aug 23, 2007
Better Than Ethanol wrote:
<quoted text>
This is so insignificant it's not worth talking about. Nuclear power is the only longterm solution.
except for one minor detail....

where to store the nuclear waste

solve that problem then you're home free
davesbranch

Charleston, WV

#15 Aug 31, 2007
Btown wrote:
GM is experimenting with a 2.9L v-6 turbodiesel from a company in Italy in a Caddy. I'd love to see this in a Tacoma. Output is 250hp and 406 lbs/ft torque. Check it out in the august '07 issue of Diesel Power magazine(I'm guessing August.It has a white Dodge Ram on the cover and at the top of the cover, it has a Ford with 1,100 hp complete with smoking tires).

“Chlorine for the GenePool”

Since: Aug 07

Carmel Indiana

#16 Sep 1, 2007
davesbranch wrote:
<quoted text>GM is experimenting with a 2.9L v-6 turbodiesel from a company in Italy in a Caddy. I'd love to see this in a Tacoma. Output is 250hp and 406 lbs/ft torque. Check it out in the august '07 issue of Diesel Power magazine(I'm guessing August.It has a white Dodge Ram on the cover and at the top of the cover, it has a Ford with 1,100 hp complete with smoking tires).
funny that the europeans have focused on diesel technology and the USA has not...
davesbr

Charleston, WV

#17 Sep 14, 2007
davesbranch wrote:
<quoted text>GM is experimenting with a 2.9L v-6 turbodiesel from a company in Italy in a Caddy. I'd love to see this in a Tacoma. Output is 250hp and 406 lbs/ft torque. Check it out in the august '07 issue of Diesel Power magazine(I'm guessing August.It has a white Dodge Ram on the cover and at the top of the cover, it has a Ford with 1,100 hp complete with smoking tires).
I am mistaken. It was in the June '07 issue.
davesbr

Charleston, WV

#18 Sep 14, 2007
Darwin Award Official wrote:
<quoted text>funny that the europeans have focused on diesel technology and the USA has not...
Maybe due to the fact the inmates are running the asylum.

“Chlorine for the GenePool”

Since: Aug 07

Carmel Indiana

#19 Sep 15, 2007
davesbr wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe due to the fact the inmates are running the asylum.
good point!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Claypool Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
prostitution in Akron Jan 25 Rich 1
pets Jan 10 lease your pet 1
Gina Castle Jan 7 wtfisyourproblem 4
anyone know april sampson? (Apr '11) Jan 6 wtfisyourproblem 5
anesha peake Dec '14 raiderman 1
Has anyone had sex with Cynthia Good? Dec '14 raiderman 1
WAWASEE MIDDLE SCHOOL Hosts CULT PROPAGANDISTS (Oct '12) Nov '14 Seriously 8

Winter Storm Warning for Kosciusko County was issued at February 01 at 12:31PM EST

Claypool Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Claypool People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:04 am PST

NFL10:04AM
Richardson was suspended for two Colts playoff games
ESPN10:58 AM