Citisteel worker injured by molten steel

Full story: News Journal
A Citisteel USA worker was hospitalized Tuesday after being splattered with hot steel. Full Story
RKOUL

Since: Dec 05

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Jan 20, 2006
Here again because Delaware is not an OSHA state, less will be know with the situation at CitiSteel, Wilmington, DE. Anyone who reports unsafe work conditions at work or a chemical exposure at the work site (with the Right-To-Know program)to the state of Delaware (Public Health Agency)is not getting help really. I used to handle this program as well for 9 years while working for Delaware and had to actually beg the management to let us document, impart objective information (such as The MSDSs and details) rather than send them to OSHA directly and ignore questions. My understanding of Right-To-Know program is that as a local support at the state public health agency level, public feels they have some empowerment by educating themselves. This prevents panic while making an attempt for quick action as warranted by the circumstance.

Being a Public Health prject manager (toxicologist), I feel we have a role to inform, educate, and empower public for its own defense while some employers may be myopic in cutting corners when it comes to implementing and monitoring safety and health rules. I am sure some coroprations walk an extra mile to enforce safety rules and meticulously take care of accidents, while making efforts to minimize incidents.

State and local control is essential and for that administrators have to be bold and truthful to supply information indiscriminately to all those who seek help. Current structure of Delaware Division of Public Health will not allow public to be guided truthfully on Right-To-Know Program. If you were a member of the minority community, chances of you being given accurate information are zero. File record of those people who call in is not maintained as the state does not want to be accountable if the incident leads to litigation.

I would like to know the status of Right-To-Know Program in other states and what are the limitations, besides personal conflicts of the administrators that can play a big role in making progress.

Cancers occur in a life time as a combination of multi-pathway exposure, accidental/incidental scenarios,and genetic susceptibility, we must not ignore keeping track of individuals exposed to hazards (chemical, radioactive, biological) during the course of their work history. Public Health programs need to consider this vital point, if they want to make measurable success in cancer prevention. In addition Public Health administrators should not keep or impart insufficient/inaccurate information based on race or the size of the corporation that the individual is reporting from. Public Health Agency should do its job for the public as it is sustained by tax-dollars.

Ramney Koul, Ph.D,MBA
joane

AOL

#2 May 8, 2006
there are accidents at this plant because they do not regularly drug test thier employees.i live on the hill behind there main office and regularly see employees come up here in there work clothes and purchase and use drugs and then go back to work.my nephew works in shipping on the river side and tells me he see's men he works with regularly using cocaine,among other things in the break room and in a little shack where the outside workers get tools and things for working on the rail cars.just how safe can a place be where there are men working in cranes 40 to 50 ft.in the air holding steel plates that probably weigh a ton or more over the men that work on the ground?this place needs to implement regular,random drug tests on ALL their employees,and not just the ones that have already made mistakes which is what they do.i've been told some of the men that do the drugs have been there ten or more years and havent been tested since they were hired.it's ridiclous.
Jeff

Marietta, GA

#3 May 12, 2006
"Here again because Delaware is not an OSHA state,"

What exactly is an OSHA state?
Quali

Somerset, NJ

#4 May 22, 2006
joane wrote:
there are accidents at this plant because they do not regularly drug test thier employees.i live on the hill behind there main office and regularly see employees come up here in there work clothes and purchase and use drugs and then go back to work.my nephew works in shipping on the river side and tells me he see's men he works with regularly using cocaine,among other things in the break room and in a little shack where the outside workers get tools and things for working on the rail cars.just how safe can a place be where there are men working in cranes 40 to 50 ft.in the air holding steel plates that probably weigh a ton or more over the men that work on the ground?this place needs to implement regular,random drug tests on ALL their employees,and not just the ones that have already made mistakes which is what they do.i've been told some of the men that do the drugs have been there ten or more years and havent been tested since they were hired.it's ridiclous.
I also live in the neighborhood behind the main office. There is this guy who calls himself "Bear" that always rides up and down my street trying to score some cocaine or crack on his way to work. He stopped me a couple times and asked me if i was holdin. I told him to get the hell away from me. He comes around in a dirty junky gray oldsmoble. he's usually wearing a citisteel hat. If you work there report him because HE COULD BE PUTTING OTHERS AT RISK BY BEING ON "DRUGS"!
stevie

Somerset, NJ

#5 May 22, 2006
here is the number to the place if you are concerned.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Claymont Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Description of Claymont (Dec '12) Feb 7 nelson f wheatley 5
Ronald D. Edwards Jan '15 manly 1
7328 Nov '14 flood3375 1
Edgemoor Gardens residents combat blight of lit... (Jan '07) Oct '14 frontporchreactio... 50
Vince Doran (Jun '14) Jun '14 curious 1
jen schroeder (Feb '14) Feb '14 mcss07 1
Delaware Riverkeeper (Oct '13) Oct '13 frontporchreactio... 1

Claymont News Video

Claymont Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Claymont People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News