Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2011

Judged:

Railroaded Part II: The Firefighters Case

South Kansas City Blast Site

Five innocent people were convicted in February 1997 in the deaths of six Kansas City firefighters in 1988. These two stories run a total length of 20,000 words, and won the Missouri Bar Association's annual "Excellence in Legal Journalism" award. On Oct. 30, 1998, the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals denied the appeal in the Kansas City Firefighters case. Read the full opinion here and our analysis of the opinion. On Oct. 4, 1999, the U.S. Supreme Court declined to grant certiorari in the case.

by J.J. Maloney

[Editor's Note: to read more about this case go to http://kcfirefighterscase.com ]
Dang

Warrensburg, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2011

Judged:

Fred Martindale twice confessed to police that he started the fire leading to the explosion. The lengthier confession was videotaped. After he denied committing the crime at trial, the defense was precluded from impeaching him with the vi...deo.(See pages 3309-3310; 3320; 3330-3331) Judge Stevensís prohibition of the video violated Petitionerís Sixth Amendment right to confront a witness, as well as his right to due process. Counselís abandonment of this issue on appeal constitutes ineffective assistance. In order to prevail on a claim against appellate counsel, Petitioner will need to show that the Eighth Circuit would have likely ordered a new trial had it seen the tape (as part of the designated record on appeal) and been apprised of some solid legal precedent holding that the denial of a defendantís request to introduce anotherís confession who is not on trial is erroneous. That case is United States v. Crosby, 75 F.3d 1343 (9th Cir. 1996)(fundamental standards of relevancy require admission of testimony which tends to prove person other than defendant committed crime charged); cf. Glaze v. Redman, 986 F.2d 1192, 1996 (8th Cir. 1993)(exclusion of confession by person other than defendant not violative of due process where basis for exclusion was state law rule against uncorroborated hearsay of deceased declarant).
This claim should be certified so that this Court can view the video. Reasonable jurists certainly may debate Judge Stevensís ruling in light of Crosby, and similarly debate whether the matter should have been presented on direct appeal. Jeana Foster Bailey also may have been with him that sad night. She was his girlfriend at the time and is back with him now near Polo, MO. and works for Casey's in Richmond, MO.Fred Martindale Lives in Hide A Way Lake Just South of Polo, MO. on 13 hwy.
WOW

Lebanon, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2011

Judged:

I do remember this very sad. They are running free in Richmond/ Polo Missouri while others are in jail. This is wrong the Federal Government needs to re-open this case. But this time get the right people put in jail.

“My REAL name is Henry”

Since: Sep 09

Legoland, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2011

Judged:

Let's all take a deep breath and calm down, now don't you feel better?
WOW

Lebanon, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2011

Judged:

R U Nuts People Died and they are running around free.

“The Constitution Matters”

Since: Jan 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2011

Judged:

They always want to convict the first person the suspect in Missouri doesn't matter if they are guilty or not.

“My REAL name is Henry”

Since: Sep 09

Legoland, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Dan from Indy is my hero!
Anonymous

Taft, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Judged:

a sad and interesting thread.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Claycomo Discussions

Search the Claycomo Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 48 min RNC Rightwing NUT Cases 95,404
Springfield Man Pleads Guilty in Sex Traffickin... (Feb '11) 3 hr alexis 11
Turn in a dog fighter 8 hr Bullyman 2
MO August 3 Missouri Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) 10 hr chico 10,206
Nursing home fire from 50 years ago remembered (Apr '07) 11 hr carol roberson 11
MO Who do you support for Auditor in Missouri in 2... (Oct '10) 12 hr Canopy 267
MO Missouri Proposition B: The Puppy Mill Bill (Oct '10) 12 hr Macrsim 6,908
•••
•••
•••
Claycomo Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Claycomo Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••