Dang

Windsor, MO

#1 Mar 8, 2011
Railroaded Part II: The Firefighters Case

South Kansas City Blast Site

Five innocent people were convicted in February 1997 in the deaths of six Kansas City firefighters in 1988. These two stories run a total length of 20,000 words, and won the Missouri Bar Association's annual "Excellence in Legal Journalism" award. On Oct. 30, 1998, the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals denied the appeal in the Kansas City Firefighters case. Read the full opinion here and our analysis of the opinion. On Oct. 4, 1999, the U.S. Supreme Court declined to grant certiorari in the case.

by J.J. Maloney

[Editor's Note: to read more about this case go to http://kcfirefighterscase.com ]
Dang

Windsor, MO

#2 Mar 8, 2011
Fred Martindale twice confessed to police that he started the fire leading to the explosion. The lengthier confession was videotaped. After he denied committing the crime at trial, the defense was precluded from impeaching him with the vi...deo.(See pages 3309-3310; 3320; 3330-3331) Judge Stevensís prohibition of the video violated Petitionerís Sixth Amendment right to confront a witness, as well as his right to due process. Counselís abandonment of this issue on appeal constitutes ineffective assistance. In order to prevail on a claim against appellate counsel, Petitioner will need to show that the Eighth Circuit would have likely ordered a new trial had it seen the tape (as part of the designated record on appeal) and been apprised of some solid legal precedent holding that the denial of a defendantís request to introduce anotherís confession who is not on trial is erroneous. That case is United States v. Crosby, 75 F.3d 1343 (9th Cir. 1996)(fundamental standards of relevancy require admission of testimony which tends to prove person other than defendant committed crime charged); cf. Glaze v. Redman, 986 F.2d 1192, 1996 (8th Cir. 1993)(exclusion of confession by person other than defendant not violative of due process where basis for exclusion was state law rule against uncorroborated hearsay of deceased declarant).
This claim should be certified so that this Court can view the video. Reasonable jurists certainly may debate Judge Stevensís ruling in light of Crosby, and similarly debate whether the matter should have been presented on direct appeal. Jeana Foster Bailey also may have been with him that sad night. She was his girlfriend at the time and is back with him now near Polo, MO. and works for Casey's in Richmond, MO.Fred Martindale Lives in Hide A Way Lake Just South of Polo, MO. on 13 hwy.
WOW

Lone Jack, MO

#3 Mar 8, 2011
I do remember this very sad. They are running free in Richmond/ Polo Missouri while others are in jail. This is wrong the Federal Government needs to re-open this case. But this time get the right people put in jail.

“My REAL name is Henry”

Since: Sep 09

Legoland, USA

#4 Mar 9, 2011
Let's all take a deep breath and calm down, now don't you feel better?
WOW

Lone Jack, MO

#5 Mar 11, 2011
R U Nuts People Died and they are running around free.

“The Constitution Matters”

Since: Jan 11

United States

#6 Mar 11, 2011
They always want to convict the first person the suspect in Missouri doesn't matter if they are guilty or not.

“My REAL name is Henry”

Since: Sep 09

Legoland, USA

#7 Jan 27, 2014
Dan from Indy is my hero!
Anonymous

Taft, CA

#8 Jan 27, 2014
a sad and interesting thread.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Claycomo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Thu Bently 19,568
Why are crakheads so stupid ? (Dec '11) Dec 24 rrr 5
from Arkansas to Kansas city Dec 23 Just asking 2
Woman: ' - Raytown Romeo' conned me out of $9K ... (Apr '14) Dec 22 wow 28
Doggie DNA Tests Reveals Pooch's Past (Mar '10) Dec 22 doggie mama 21
Waterpark employees kick woman out after she re... (Jul '13) Dec 22 DILF 974
Review: King Towing LLC Dec 21 Amie 2
Claycomo Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web