Missouri child-support law change tou...

Missouri child-support law change touches many issues

There are 4296 comments on the Kansas City Star story from Sep 8, 2007, titled Missouri child-support law change touches many issues. In it, Kansas City Star reports that:

“This is not in the best interest of Missouri's children”

Children, according to popular notion, don't buy Johnnie Walker Red or engage enemy combatants in Iraq.

So why should parents be required to pay child support for someone old enough to do either?

A Missouri lawmaker from Belton doesn't think they should. Rep. Brian Baker pushed for change, and last week a new state law dropped the maximum age for child support from 22 to 21. It also set new academic standards for students whose parents receive child support.

Baker, a Republican, had wanted the limit to fall to 18, because that is when people first can vote. It is also the age at which most states, including Kansas, draw the line for child support. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kansas City Star.

Robert

Washington, DC

#4314 May 11, 2012
I pay my child support and, for the best interest of my daughter, my ex and I communicate pretty well. However, that $180 for prescriptions per month is craziness! What is wrong with your child that it costs that much? Try Wal-Mart and there generic programs and tell the doctor you want generic scripts. Also, I am the non-custodial parent and I also cover my dauther with my health insurance. So, my point is, each case is different. Should they pay, YES! I do pay and yes it sucks because I can BARELY survive on what I get to take home. There are no excuses, she is my daughter. I do it for her not my ex. And think, my daughter is adopted!!!:)
Fenton MO wrote:
Child support is a difficult subject and no most women who get child support are not abusing the system. The money goes towards room and board, insurance, food, clothes, medical bills, school supplies and projects and yes sometimes entertainment. The majority of women I know including myself who should be receiving child support do not recieve it. I know it is hard to pay child support and have your own place, but guess what the custodial parent is pulling off having there own place and paying for a child. My ex and I have been apart for 6.5 years and he owes over 30,000 in back child support. If you think a child doesn't cost that much, take this into consideration $180 a month in prescriptions (this is with insurance)$210 a month in child care so I can work (this is just after school) say 160 a month for food (Just the kids portion) That is 550 a month which is $6600 a year and that is not including clothes, school activities extra money for rent or mortgage for a bigger place and so on. Oh yeah I have figured it out on average kids cost about 9700 a year to raise, feed and bathe. I am sorry if you don't get to see your children, I have custody of mine and don't get to see her much either because I am working my butt of to keep a roof over her head. I do think after 18 child support should not be mandatory but if a non custodial parent is behind when the child turns 18 they should pay the custodial parent until they are caught up. I sacrifice and so does my daughter. Her father not so much.
mother

Blue Springs, MO

#4315 May 15, 2012
Fenton MO wrote:
Child support is a difficult subject and no most women who get child support are not abusing the system. The money goes towards room and board, insurance, food, clothes, medical bills, school supplies and projects and yes sometimes entertainment. The majority of women I know including myself who should be receiving child support do not recieve it. I know it is hard to pay child support and have your own place, but guess what the custodial parent is pulling off having there own place and paying for a child. My ex and I have been apart for 6.5 years and he owes over 30,000 in back child support. If you think a child doesn't cost that much, take this into consideration $180 a month in prescriptions (this is with insurance)$210 a month in child care so I can work (this is just after school) say 160 a month for food (Just the kids portion) That is 550 a month which is $6600 a year and that is not including clothes, school activities extra money for rent or mortgage for a bigger place and so on. Oh yeah I have figured it out on average kids cost about 9700 a year to raise, feed and bathe. I am sorry if you don't get to see your children, I have custody of mine and don't get to see her much either because I am working my butt of to keep a roof over her head. I do think after 18 child support should not be mandatory but if a non custodial parent is behind when the child turns 18 they should pay the custodial parent until they are caught up. I sacrifice and so does my daughter. Her father not so much.
I agree with you I receive child support and the father was only order to pay $100 dollars monthly, that like a slap in the face, on top of he didn't even attempt to know her en-tell she was 7 yrs old and the court system gave him half custody with no back child support, and he can barley make the 100 dollar payment, so I think they should pay longer, especially if the child plans on attending collage.
SuperSperm

Lees Summit, MO

#4316 May 16, 2012
I planed on going to college. I stuck my sperm maker in to the cute girl sitting next to me. 6 months later I had to drop out of school to make $$$$ for this kid that I did not even want.
21 years later, no one paid for me to go to school and now its just too late and a degree is useless and cost prohibiting.
Just one thing in life that's Crazy, but I paid for my mistake, and I never even for parole
J_STREET

Steelville, MO

#4317 May 16, 2012
2642nurse2642 wrote:
How many of you on here actually have to fight for your support? I am a single mom of six and have put myself thru college and am continuing my education. CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT is A FRIGGING JOKE.It completely blows my mind how you tend to think just because your child turns 18 then they can handle life all on their own, let's just push them out of the nest. Time to move on. Have you never had to borrow money from your parents when you were older than 18 to fix your car or buy a meal or bag of groceries? If you think your obligation to them stops because they enter draft age then why did you have children? They are a lifelong commitment people, not a trophy for enduring years of marriage. We send them unequipped into a world full of unknowns when they are still learning to be people themselves. Now we have a bunch of butthole politicians telling us when to cut the strings for supporting our children? It's astounding especially since most of you paying support had to be ordered to do so in the first place. How about in the next life you opt to wear a condom or perhaps two to prevent yourselves from obtaining the "parent" sticker. What a sad waste, and we wonder why this Earth and our children are going to hell in a handbasket.
I was just wondering if you shouldn't have learned to use a condom yourself! lol 6 kids and your single????????? Did you not learn with the first one or two?
PISSED WOMAN

Haslet, TX

#4318 Jun 1, 2012
no i don't think you should pay child support over the age 18.I REALLY THINK YOU SHOULDN'T PAY CHILD SUPPORT AT ALL . I KNOW HALF OF THE WOMEN TO DAY HAVE KIDS SO THEY DON'T HAVE TO WORK THEY HAVE 3 KIDS BUT ALL BY DIFFERENT GUYS .THEY COLLECT FOOD STAMPS ,CHILD SUPPORT,INSURANCE ,MEDICAIDE.I THINK YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THE FATHER TO BLAME BUT, THATS WRONG !!!!THE WOMEN OPENED THEIR LEGS AND CAN'T TAKE CARE OF THEIR CHILDREN !THATS THEIR FAULT !!! THATS WHY SO MANY WOMEN CHEAT ON THERE HUSBAND ! BECAUSE THEY HAVE THE GOVERMENT TO PAY THEM TO HAVE A CHILD AND TO TAKE CARE OF IT !!THEN THEY ALSO GET CHILD SUPPORT!!ARE YOU KIDDING ME !! VERY RARELY DOES GUYS GET CUSTODY OF THE KIDS !! THATS NOT FAIR !!
PISSED WOMAN

Haslet, TX

#4319 Jun 1, 2012
THATS ALSO WHY THEY HAVE KIDS AT ANY AGE! BECAUSE THEY NO THE GOVERMENT IS THEIR TO PICK UP THE TAB !!!
PISSED WOMAN

Haslet, TX

#4320 Jun 1, 2012
I think if the guy or women dont wont custody of their child then they should have to pay . but if they get any split custody or partial then no !!!BECAUSE people are abusing the right to have kids . then you got families divorce just so they can get food stamps. thats wrong.they need to change the law ! if a parent wants there child to go to college and they have the money there gonna pay any ways because they love the child and have the money to send them to college.
givingtocharity

Lees Summit, MO

#4321 Jun 13, 2012
I totally agree with child support STOPPING at the age of 18. These kids now days are NOT motivated like we were when we were kids and this is a good age for them to get out in the world and start learning how to be responsbile adults. I would say in 85% of ALL child support cases the MOTHER is using the CHILD support for her own personal needs and the kids aren't even seeing the money that is to go to them. Missouri is a VERY messed up state when it comes to CHILD support. They want the DADS to support the kid until they are 21 IF they go on to college BUT in the health care field the kid is financially responsible for their OWN bills at the age of the 18 because the STATE sees the kid at the age of 18 as being an adult so does anyone want to explain to me why the courts say the kids can't support themselve at the age of 18. It makes NO sense.
givingtocharity

Lees Summit, MO

#4322 Jun 13, 2012
mother wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you I receive child support and the father was only order to pay $100 dollars monthly, that like a slap in the face, on top of he didn't even attempt to know her en-tell she was 7 yrs old and the court system gave him half custody with no back child support, and he can barley make the 100 dollar payment, so I think they should pay longer, especially if the child plans on attending collage.
WOW that is CRAZY for the state of Missouri. My husband is getting his clock cleaned by his ex wife. The judge here in Independence gave his ex wife more money even after getting a boob job. I was totally shocked.
givingtocharity

Lees Summit, MO

#4323 Jun 13, 2012
PISSED WOMAN wrote:
THATS ALSO WHY THEY HAVE KIDS AT ANY AGE! BECAUSE THEY NO THE GOVERMENT IS THEIR TO PICK UP THE TAB !!!
I TOTALLY agree with you..I work in the healthcare field and it ticks me off to see these women come in for surgery and they have their nails done 40.00 their hair highlighted 60.00 and up and are carrying coach purses 500 and up and they are on welfare. As far as I am concerned our Government is very JACKED up..The worst thing that the us citizens has done has approved welfare. I have worked since I was 15 and have paid into social security and I can't use it when I retire because this jacked up government is giving our money to the people who choose to NOT work and as far as I am concerned CHILD support is a form of WELFARE it too allows one to live off anothers work. I believe it had to be the "dumb as crap party that had to vote how much CHILD support one should get because they are also the same party who started the welfare. REALLY people if you choose to have kids then you should also be expected to pay half of what the courts "say" it costs to raise a kid. But 95% of the women are using the money for the their own needs and the kids are going with out. It is VERY sad because its the kids who suffer in the end. Just like right now my husband is giving his piece of crap ex wife 600 a month to support his 17 year old daughter and she needs glasses and she told us in Feb that she needed new glasses and her MOM still has not bought her new glasses but the mom can buy a Ford 4X4 and take two trips so far this summer and live like theres no tomorrow and the daughter goes with out.I believe that ALL women who has choosen to have kids should expect to pay half of the costs of raising the kids. Its just wrong that the men are getting SO screwed on CHILD support. I call it giving to charity instead of CHILD support thats why my screen name is what it is.
givingtocharity

Lees Summit, MO

#4324 Jun 13, 2012
mother wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to say that I am sorry that you are not getting help supporting your kids that is wrong but...I am a very FIRM believer that BOTH parents should have to pay half of what the courts say it takes to raise a child. I think it is VERY wrong that any court system thinks its completly up to the dad to support the kids. I don't know when child support offically started but..I do believe it was when women stayed home and raised the kids now in the 2000's more women are in the work force then ever before so I believe that every single state should revamp the child support laws and make women just as accountable to paying to raise the kids as the dads. Its like men are being punished for having kids. Its crazy and its wrong..
Shanie

Houston, TX

#4325 Jul 13, 2012
[QUOTE who=deedxx"outraged" ]I'd be happy to receive my child support as a voucher to use toward clothing, school supplies, child care etc .. the pittiful amount I'm supposed to be getting dosen't even cover the day care expenses for my child, and he's only there 3 days a week. If he would just pay for that directly that'd make me happy, but I am expected to pay for everything without any help, when he's been orderd to help and wants the benefits of being a dad -- time with our son etc, but none of the responsiblity. i'm thankful that he wants to spend time with his son, but i also think it's not fair that he's the one with all the toys .. a new computer, cable tv, an ipod, a new digital camera, and yet he pays not one single dime. That is unfair.[/QUOTE] First off you shouldn't be concerned about what he has it may be true you feel he's not puttin out what he should but it could be worse he could be doing absolutly nothing no money at all nor coming to visit the child because me I would be heartbroken if my son's father just act as if he didn't exist.
Jack

Branson, MO

#4326 Jul 14, 2012
so what if you pay so much support the woman does not have to work? What if she gets her hair done and pays all of her expenses lavish vacations new car house (which the children have no legal interest in ) and nails clothes everything on child support? My ex collects from me more support than most of you will ever earn. And if it is one day late she calls me a deadbeat dad!

Since: Jan 11

Grain Valley, MO

#4327 Jul 15, 2012
Child support paying Dad wrote:
The whole child support system is not in the best
interest of children.. It has destroyed and will continue to destroy more families because most
women have abused child support, due to lack of
accountability.(ie purchase Lexus,Mercedes,expensive clothing). Child support
is use as a weapon, its gets a lot of people killed and it has destroyed the family in america as we have known it. Be responsible or don't have a child with someone who isn't. Leave the money out of expropreation.
i totally agree!
Annoyed

Ozark, MO

#4328 Jul 17, 2012
The Missouri system is screwed up and totally annoying. My husband and I are glad to pay child support on his two adult daughters. He has never been a month behind, it isn't arrears. It goes to their mother, only one of them still lives at home, the other hasn't for three years, she lived with her boyfriend through her senior year of high school- she turned 18 the beginning of that year. We will soon have her mom paid off. When we asked the family support center three years ago how to get it set up for the child support to go directly to the 18 yr old we were told to get a court order for it. No thanks, spent enough money on attorney fees already thank you. Anyway, in the mean time my ex husband is YEARS behind in support payments. Guess what has been done about that. Nothing. Men who work and live in Missouri are penalized for working. They pay support while men like my ex get away with paying nothing. His license has never ever been revoked. Its crazy. My husband and I both work, and take care of our children. I guess at the end of the day we can sleep at night knowing this, but it would sure be nice if someone took notice and made some major adjustments to the child support laws. If I could have one thing changed it would be that if kids over 18 received support that it did automatically go to them personally. Its crazy that by law we pay support to someone who isn't supporting them.
Uncle Sam

De Soto, KS

#4329 Jul 24, 2012
Well, my Adult child is now 21 and 6 months old. Child enforcement was told by the judge to stop collecting from my paycheck.
I have no back (late) arrears.
yet again this month,(i get paid monthly) out comes $1626.00 dollars for child support and payroll told me this morning, they are taking it out next month as well, as they never got the letter from who ever in the government to stop payment.
So the Fuc*ing continues...
mike

Chicago, IL

#4330 Jul 25, 2012
Uncle Sam, Im curious... Didnt a judge issue an order to stop the collection? If I were you, I would want that in writing, not verbally... I know from my HR dept, until they get a document officially stating to stop the garnishment, they wont do it!... I feel bad for you, cause it just aint right!

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#4331 Aug 10, 2012
Here is the latest!http://www.fathersandfa milies.org/enews/cv/enews-2012 0809.html
WTG

Bristow, OK

#4332 Aug 31, 2012
mike wrote:
Uncle Sam, Im curious... Didnt a judge issue an order to stop the collection? If I were you, I would want that in writing, not verbally... I know from my HR dept, until they get a document officially stating to stop the garnishment, they wont do it!... I feel bad for you, cause it just aint right!
In Missouri, you have to get the court order from the judge stopping it and then you have to wait on the circuit clerk to send the papers to the employer stopping it.
WTG

Bristow, OK

#4333 Aug 31, 2012
I filed it Oct 2011 to have the child support terminated. My daughter had graduated, moved out of her mom's, moved in with her boyfriend. She hasn't been enrolled in 12 credit hours at all, she enrolled late and will not provide my with her grades. We went to court in March on the credit hour issue and the judge made an exception to the Mo law on the 12 hour min. The money is now sent to my daughter as long as she provides my with her grades. This was put in place by the judge. Well, my daughter isn't giving me grades even though it is court ordered by the judge. Taking back to court and now the judge is taking it under advisement. IT's A COURT ORDER THAT THE JUDGE SIGNED. WTH? So now I've made everyone made and nobody talks to me and are trying to get even. I am responsible for what insurance doesn't cover. So instead of going to a regular doctor she goes to the ER. Guess what more out of pocket for me. They somehow got a doctor to give her a MRI and it had to be pre certified before the insurance would pay for it. And guess what, they didn't. HUGE out of pocket. I agree that men should take care of thier children, but why pentalize him for everything he does. I have to pay my support every month on time, so should they have to follow the rules too? Is it too much to ask for the grades? And to be honest I don't even know if she is enrolled? Asked for that too?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Claycomo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 37 min Hipocrit 20,505
Trump for President, He will win. watch Thu Glenda of the east 1
Examiner Aug 23 Mark S 1
News Top Ten Reasons Why Promotional Products Distri... (Aug '08) Aug 22 Joethegreat 8
a person whos ,,,,, blood,,,,,, money was stole... (Jan '15) Aug 20 AskForHelp 17
where can I score some h (Jan '16) Aug 20 AskForHelp 19
(.R ox y Bulk!!) ku*sh !! (Nov '15) Aug 16 Raymond 7

Claycomo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Claycomo Mortgages