No more Job Corps
disgusted

Tucker, GA

#83 Jan 12, 2013
johnny b good wrote:
<quoted text>
Bs because why would the downsize a top rank facility they went for the bottom 7 is y
If you don't know what you are talking about you don't need to be assuming that you do. One of the centers being affected is ranked 28th in the nation.
Request

Fairfax, VA

#84 Jan 12, 2013
disgusted wrote:
<quoted text> If you don't know what you are talking about you don't need to be assuming that you do. One of the centers being affected is ranked 28th in the nation.
When ranking the Job Corps Centers, who or what group does it? What criteria is used in the rankings?
Request

Fairfax, VA

#85 Jan 12, 2013
Never mind. I found the requested information at the Department of Labor website. Below is a link leading to the most recently published Performance Results for Job Corps Centers located in Kentucky. The one measure on which ECCJCC seemed to score particularly low is the percentage of students who completed requirements for and received either a High School Diploma or a GED. The national average was 56.6% while the ECCJCC had only a 41.7% rate. This is the primary reason these students are enrolled in a Job Corps - to receive either a High School Diploma or a GED. ECCJCC has 1300 students which is huge by comparative standards of other centers. Like a public school, smaller is usually more effective in delivering quality education and in getting greater student performance.

http://www.jobcorps.gov/AboutJobCorps/perform...
disgusted

United States

#86 Jan 12, 2013
Request wrote:
Never mind. I found the requested information at the Department of Labor website. Below is a link leading to the most recently published Performance Results for Job Corps Centers located in Kentucky. The one measure on which ECCJCC seemed to score particularly low is the percentage of students who completed requirements for and received either a High School Diploma or a GED. The national average was 56.6% while the ECCJCC had only a 41.7% rate. This is the primary reason these students are enrolled in a Job Corps - to receive either a High School Diploma or a GED. ECCJCC has 1300 students which is huge by comparative standards of other centers. Like a public school, smaller is usually more effective in delivering quality education and in getting greater student performance.
http://www.jobcorps.gov/AboutJobCorps/perform...
The information used above to illustrate your point, however without the proper application to the current standards and procedures for eccjcc it irrelevent. The class size per instructor is comparative to or below that of our public school system. What your charts and graphs and stats don't show you is that eccjcc is expected to take many students with first and second grade reading and math levels and teach them to a level to pass a standardized ged or high school diploma level in under two years before their allotted time in the program runs out.
disgusted

United States

#87 Jan 12, 2013
Glimmer man wrote:
<quoted text>he worked in Security. Hit a student and got fired.
glad I'm not the only one who figured out who he is. Not surprised he's on here acting like this
Request

Fairfax, VA

#88 Jan 12, 2013
disgusted wrote:
<quoted text> The information used above to illustrate your point, however without the proper application to the current standards and procedures for eccjcc it irrelevent. The class size per instructor is comparative to or below that of our public school system. What your charts and graphs and stats don't show you is that eccjcc is expected to take many students with first and second grade reading and math levels and teach them to a level to pass a standardized ged or high school diploma level in under two years before their allotted time in the program runs out.
I noticed that ECCJCC's students showed greater increases in reading and math grade equivalents than did some of the other KY Centers which would indicate the math and English/Reading instruction is on target for the students. I understand about the students reading and math levels when they are enrolled, bottom of the heap, right? But, I'm wondering if some JCC's receive a larger number of the lowest performing students? Do some JCC's get to cherry pick their new students; whereas, other JCC's receive, for lack of a better term, the leftovers? About the large size of ECCJCC, I understand that JCC individual class sizes may be the same across the nation; however, I'm also aware that the students only spend a certain amount of time in classrooms and a large amount of time interacting with 1300 other students who have 1300 different ways of offering distractions that transfer into the classrooms by default.

Here's the link for the Outcome Measurement System and the Center Report Cards by Rank (OMS-10R) Report Period: 7/1/2011 - 6/30/2012

http://www.jobcorps.gov/Libraries/pdf/oms10r_...
disgusted

United States

#89 Jan 12, 2013
Request wrote:
<quoted text>
I noticed that ECCJCC's students showed greater increases in reading and math grade equivalents than did some of the other KY Centers which would indicate the math and English/Reading instruction is on target for the students. I understand about the students reading and math levels when they are enrolled, bottom of the heap, right? But, I'm wondering if some JCC's receive a larger number of the lowest performing students? Do some JCC's get to cherry pick their new students; whereas, other JCC's receive, for lack of a better term, the leftovers? About the large size of ECCJCC, I understand that JCC individual class sizes may be the same across the nation; however, I'm also aware that the students only spend a certain amount of time in classrooms and a large amount of time interacting with 1300 other students who have 1300 different ways of offering distractions that transfer into the classrooms by default.
Here's the link for the Outcome Measurement System and the Center Report Cards by Rank (OMS-10R) Report Period: 7/1/2011 - 6/30/2012
The students at eccjcc don't spend any less time in the classroom than do your local public school student. Class hours are from 8-4 with breaks for lunch and inbetween classes. The "distractions" there are exactly what public school students face on a daily basis though we don't get on public forums and discuss them with the perpencity and enthusiasm as is being shown for the jc students.
Request

Fairfax, VA

#90 Jan 12, 2013
disgusted wrote:
<quoted text> The students at eccjcc don't spend any less time in the classroom than do your local public school student. Class hours are from 8-4 with breaks for lunch and inbetween classes. The "distractions" there are exactly what public school students face on a daily basis though we don't get on public forums and discuss them with the perpencity and enthusiasm as is being shown for the jc students.
I believe you've misunderstood my intent. My intent was to determine 'why' ECCJCC is being downsized. My intent certainly was not to show disrespect to the students or the staff. We know that the JCC students are at-risk, likely are high school drop-outs, and have low levels of academic achievement upon their enrollments. We also know these students receive the same amount of instructional time as public school students; however, if they've failed academically in public schools (likely large inner-city public schools) it would seem their academic achievement would show greater gains if they were enrolled in a JCC campus with fewer students and fewer distractions. Yes, at-risk students do self-generate more distractions than students not at-risk. By distractions, I mean arguments, off-task behaviors, and/or higher need for drama. It is what it is. By the way, I'm sorry people are being laid off, but from the attitudes of a few posters, I'd say all they're concerned with is talking trash and making bigoted remarks. I hope the bigots are laid off, if that's possible, and the core staff remaining is more tolerant and understanding of differences in backgrounds.
disgusted

United States

#91 Jan 12, 2013
Request wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you've misunderstood my intent. My intent was to determine 'why' ECCJCC is being downsized. My intent certainly was not to show disrespect to the students or the staff. We know that the JCC students are at-risk, likely are high school drop-outs, and have low levels of academic achievement upon their enrollments. We also know these students receive the same amount of instructional time as public school students; however, if they've failed academically in public schools (likely large inner-city public schools) it would seem their academic achievement would show greater gains if they were enrolled in a JCC campus with fewer students and fewer distractions. Yes, at-risk students do self-generate more distractions than students not at-risk. By distractions, I mean arguments, off-task behaviors, and/or higher need for drama. It is what it is. By the way, I'm sorry people are being laid off, but from the attitudes of a few posters, I'd say all they're concerned with is talking trash and making bigoted remarks. I hope the bigots are laid off, if that's possible, and the core staff remaining is more tolerant and understanding of differences in backgrounds.
I appreciate your concern and well wishes, my intent was not to criticise you or your information, only to tell our side of the story. The task set before any jc staff is an arduous one with our particular clientele. We teach the difficult to teach. To the aforementioned trash talkers, how they can find it acceptable to speak down on these kids in a time like this shows their true character and only adds to the point of why America is failing as a nation. Decisions such as these to make monumental cutbacks that are nationwide in effect come from those who won't have to feel any of that loss or the barrage of emotions that come with it. This will be detrimental to the families of the students and staff who will no longer participate in the job corps program as well as the students and staff themselves. All anyone cam do now is hope for an economic comeback to restore a normative culture in America.
Glimmer man

Tucker, GA

#92 Jan 12, 2013
Request wrote:
<quoted text>
This is correct, the smaller centers get to really pick and choose who they get. ECCJC has OA groups that send them the leftovers. ECCJC is considered the dumping ground for these types of students. They get students from all over the U.S. and foreign countries. So you can imagine the culture clash. In the past they have had their problems but in the past two years they have done a lot of things to improve the center and it is showing.
Glimmer man

Tucker, GA

#93 Jan 12, 2013
Ex Job Corps Management wrote:
The place is a mess...at best, 30% of the students take advantage and succeed. Some/most instructors let their students sleep all day, Material Handling...you can almost get mugged going in and out of. Vocational welfare at best...finally our government got something right.
This is not true. May have been a few years ago but not now. I know for a fact that the incident rate has dropped tremendously. Gone are the days of muggings, gang fights, robberies and beat downs. The locker break ins no longer happen on center as well. Barton does not play when it comes to discipline, it looks more like he is the CSO manager. The management from before we're horrible. That whole group got what was coming to them. Some got it later. As far as yourself, I can't see how your boss still survived to be there another day. She has escaped the ax several times.
Real

United States

#94 Jan 12, 2013
A lot of opinions and some facts have been written on this thread. Does anyone know when this action is really going down? Real date and time! How much is speculation ?
disgusted

Tucker, GA

#95 Jan 12, 2013
Real wrote:
A lot of opinions and some facts have been written on this thread. Does anyone know when this action is really going down? Real date and time! How much is speculation ?
nothing has been released to the masses, its a wait and see game until we do know. My guess is as small as this community is you'll know almost as soon as we do.
Hairybutt AKAJimmy Fowler

Morganfield, KY

#96 Jan 12, 2013
oh Jimmy you should have never hit that kid like you did, that was straight out uncalled for! Why do you think you should have kept your job after doing that?
Love JC

Morganfield, KY

#97 Jan 12, 2013
Real wrote:
Our inputs have stopped of new students in December so if they simply let the current students graduate and MSWR then it statistically looks like in march we should be at about 700 obs.
Love JC

Morganfield, KY

#98 Jan 12, 2013
Glimmer man wrote:
<quoted text> This is correct, the smaller centers get to really pick and choose who they get. ECCJC has OA groups that send them the leftovers. ECCJC is considered the dumping ground for these types of students. They get students from all over the U.S. and foreign countries. So you can imagine the culture clash. In the past they have had their problems but in the past two years they have done a lot of things to improve the center and it is showing.
Not ALL small centers get to pick and choose who they get. ECCJC is both a basic and an advanced training center. If a center is a basic training center then they will take any student regardless of HSD or TABE scores or ethic background. An advanced center has guidelines of the student has to have completed a basic skill, have either a HSD/GED and TABE score requirements. The only thing that would cause any person fr being denied from any JC is age requirement, legal status of citizenship or having a felony record.
Talk

United States

#99 Jan 12, 2013
TV 25 interviewed some students. I wish the Center would let their polished students speak for all. Not that this will matter ; but you will be surprised how appearance can make you or break you like a job interview. I heard the students are very upset and told staff they may riot. Not a good move for the Center. Hope it is some students who are just expressing their feelings thru talk. I don't want to be there if actions start to become a riot .
Reason

Morganfield, KY

#100 Jan 13, 2013
Job Corp, students as well as staff is much like the rest of society. The majority are good hearted people trying to either better themselves or help others better themselves. There is a small majority of students that act up and are not there for the right reasons and should not be there. There are also a lot of staff that love their jobs, that by the way would pay a lot more elsewhere, they love helping others better themselves and make a positive impact in the world. Unfortunately we don't or choose not to hear all the positive things resulting from JC. We hear the negative and believe it.
I have worked there, I would not want to go back back. Then I wouldn't want to be a teacher, fireman, coal miner etc. only because it doesn't suit me though. I am a supervisor and this. Is what I've learned. 80% of your time will be spent on 20% of your employees. I think the same holds true at JC. 80% of the time We hear about the 20 % of the dead beat staff and students but choose to think it happens 100% of the time..
johnny b good

Tucker, GA

#101 Jan 13, 2013
They havent given a date or time bc they are trying to fight it
Forums R Us

Fairfax, VA

#102 Jan 13, 2013
johnny b good wrote:
They havent given a date or time bc they are trying to fight it
Who exactly is 'they'?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kendra and chad (Oct '14) Tue nasty 29
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) Aug 11 BIG FOOT 650
charlene mason (Feb '13) Jul 30 Locall 47
The Dollar General (Dec '14) Jul '16 Wonder 8
Man looking for female company Jul '16 Jezebel 3
Jake Jul '16 Chillie 1
Amelia Griffin Jul '16 Towbo 2

Clay Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Clay Mortgages