Weather in Clarksville
Jo-Ann

Warrington, UK

#1 Jan 18, 2008
I live in the UK and want to relocate to Clarksville. One of the things I'm trying to get away from here is the UK weather - the sky is constantly grey, last year we only had approx 4 weeks of warm weather April/May and it has rained/drizzled almost every day - we had dreadful floods in June (that was supposed to be our summertime) The snow we get is pathetic - a small flurry that isn't even enough to settle on the ground in Jan, then Feb/March we get more snow but because it rains here so much it turns to slush - things were different when i was a child - we had to dig our cars out of the driveway and disappear up to our knees in crunchy white clean snow- fantastic! My little boy is desperate to make a snowman but theres no chance of that here. Can someone let me know (honestly) what the different seasons are like in Clarksville please. We want definite seasons rather than just the rainy season with 4 weeks of sun. Thanks very much
Jo-Ann

Warrington, UK

#2 Jan 18, 2008
I'm looking for a business to buy in/near Clarkesville to fit E2 visa requirements. If anyone knows of anything would you mind letting me know. Thanks

Since: Aug 07

Chase City, Va

#3 Jan 18, 2008
The weather of this area is varying. Winter is crazy. We can have highes in the lower 60F and lows in the teens and sometimes single digits. I'd say average is around 40. For the last several years we have light snow 2 or 3 times per winter, but are subject to have a foot or more if conditions are right. Rain, maybe 2-4 days per month, the rest is sunny. Spring is great. Beginning in late March it starts warming and trees begin budding. By April it's in the 60Fs most of the time and stays that way through May. Flowers are in full bloom and birds are singing. Summer gets here in mid June and it starts gettng hot. 80s to 90s is common. The honeysuckle smells so sweet you can almost reach in the air and pull it down. By mid July through August it's hot a He**. 90s to 100F and muggy. At times the humidity is so thick you can see it like it's a light fog. This is the time of year when the Buggs Island Lake seems like a God send. To sum it up, we have one season of hell and 3 seasons of Heaven. A great trade off I'd say.
Jo-Ann

Warrington, UK

#4 Jan 19, 2008
Did you win prizes for creative writing when you were at school? Your description is amazing! What months does it snow and is winter very rainy or do you get sunny days too? Can you tell me what activities/sports there are for my son in Clarksville please? He's only 3 but I'm thinking of when he gets a bit older.Thanks very much for replying.

Chase City, Va

#5 Jan 20, 2008
It's hard to say when it may snow here. I've seen snow as early as October. Generally speaking our snow season would be mid December through February. When I was growing up,(many years ago) we would have several big snows per year. 4,5 inches and up to a foot or more were pretty common. In the last 15 years or so all that has changed. Now we may get 2 0r 3 snows per year and they usually are no more than a couple inches. If we're lucky we'll get 1 "good" snow. We do get rain in the winter. I'd say a 2 to 4 days per month it may rain, and sometimes it may be freezing rain. All that being said we have a good 22-25 days of sun per month in the winter.
For kids of the area there are summer soccer leagues, softball leagues. Of course we have the lake for recreation so there's swimming, boating,skiing and camping. The schools all have sports programs. Football, baseeball, basketball,golf. We have Boy Scouting, Girl Scouting, Cub Scouts. Of course all students from Clarksville go to Bluestone Middle and High Scool so by the time your son reaches that age he could join one of the best high school bands in Virginia. No brag, just fact. There really isn't a lot for "older kids" to do here and that's a sad truth. To be perfectly honest by the time a kid is 16,17 he'll be looking for a career that will most likely take him away from our area. Like a lot of small communities we've lost most industry. But, we still have a better life style here, than a lot of other places. We hope you choose us and if you do I think you'd love it here.

Since: Nov 07

Clarksville VA

#6 Jan 23, 2008
Jo-Ann, as someone who grew up here and then moved away and moved back, I'd suggest you look into Central Indiana if you really want some snow in winter and good weather in summer. I lived there for over 6 years and LOVED IT. I lived in Indianapolis, which is a big city with a smalltown feel, and I felt very at home there, being from the south. There is what's called Hoosier Hospitality in Indiana that is very much like southern hospitality.

I have to say that if I had kids, I would NOT be living back in Clarksville. I am a product of our local schools and I just don't think they prepared me at all for the real world and college. And unless we were into sports (which I wasn't) there was NOTHING to do around here as a kid.

Granted, there is more to do here now than there was then, but if you're interested in 4 very different seasons and what's best for your kid, I'd either try further north or west in Virginia (coz they get more snow) or someplace else entirely.

And depending on what your career is, there aren't a whole lot of jobs in the area. We're supporting probably as many restaurants as we can handle and the only other things doing remotely well are antique shops.(The Lamplighter Restaurant is for sale, if you're interested.) We're pretty short on industry (2-3 small ones.)

That said, Clarksville is a beautiful place and most of the people are great. I agree with most of what Chase City Rez has to say.(I have a love/hate relationship with the place, as you can probably tell!)
Jo-Ann

Warrington, UK

#7 Jan 23, 2008
Thanks for the honest comments! I have to make a decision real soon because I want to make the move this summer/autumn if possible. My main criteria for our new home town are safety, good education and recreation/sports for my son, beauty and somewhere that has the 4 seasons but with out 24/7 rain (I don't mind a bit of rain but I live in a place that only ever has grey skies) A friendly community is high up there on my list too.
For an e2 visa, I have to either buy an already well established business or create a new one that can employ local people. Like you said, you seem to have enough places to eat - I can't cook anyway! I am more interested in childrens activities like an indoor adventure play area for little ones and something a bit more wild and exciting for the teenagers with party facilities. Do you think this would be profitable in Clarksville if it was advertised in Chase and other surrounding towns? My other option is an English family pub.

I am very grateful for any ideas/comments anyone would like to make and thankyou to chase city rez and lake girl for your comments. How does Clarksville compare to the outskirts of charlottesville bearing in mind the criteria I listed earlier?

Since: Nov 07

Clarksville VA

#8 Jan 25, 2008
In all honesty, I would totally choose Charlottesville. I think your business ideas could be really successful someplace like that. Not so much in Clarksville. The closest thing we had to it was a skating rink in South Boston that hosted parties and lock-ins and things like that, but it has since closed. I think it might have been too much trouble for whoever was running it.

Even though I would love (personally) to have an English pub in Clarksville, I'm not sure most people in town would get the idea! Our most popular eatery is a diner/ice cream place that only has about 7 tables in it (maybe it just seems popular because it's small so it always seems busy there!)

Since I last posted, one of our fast food restaurants has closed. I had been thinking we probably couldn't support the number of establishments we had. Not without any major industry anymore.

I think you'd be much better off in Charlottesville. It's not that far. You can always take a few weekends and come down here and rent a cabin on the lake! There is much more to do there, more opportunity, and way more people to become future customers or clients in whatever business venture you decide on.

But we'd love it if you visited!

Chase City, Va

#9 Jan 26, 2008
It saddens me to agree with Lake Girl on this, but I do. Chase City, Clarksville amd most all of Southside Virginia has lost industry. Although we'd really love to have you here and would like to see you with a successful place of business, the greatest opportunity would indeed be in the Charlottesville area. As stated it's only a couple hours from here but that area has a lot more to offer. You'd be near the Blueridge Mountains and the Shennendoa Valley, always busy in the fall. It's home to Montecello, the home of Thomas Jefferson, 3rd president of the U.S and principle writer of the Declaration of Independence. So Charlottesville isn't not only a college town, but a history attraction and a fall tourist area as well. Always a busy place with a nice atmosphere. Like I said, it makes me sad to agree with Lake Girl on this one, but I do. If you decide on Charlottesville don't forget this bog site. I'd love to hear how things work out.
Jo_Ann

Warrington, UK

#10 Jan 28, 2008
Thankyou both for your honesty. I plan on visiting Virginia this spring and will visit Clarksville. I'm very much looking forward to it. It looks idyllic. Thankyou for taking the time to help me out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clarksville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Virginia Medicaid Expansion (Feb '16) Feb '16 Patient X 1
Robert's Restaurant (Nov '08) Feb '16 william 4
Missing dog (Sep '15) Sep '15 Sue 1
The Penquin (Aug '08) Jun '15 Thomas Gregory 7
DSL Through Verizon in Clarksville (Apr '15) Apr '15 Ulysses 1
Healthcare in Clarksville Va (Jan '15) Mar '15 djanjj2u 2
where do i go to get a free background check? (Nov '13) Feb '15 Monique 3

Clarksville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance