Things got personal for School Board

Things got personal for School Board

There are 5 comments on the Virginia/North Carolina News story from Aug 26, 2007, titled Things got personal for School Board. In it, Virginia/North Carolina News reports that:

“As a parent, I am grateful to him for putting the children first.”

Jerry Helmick, of Chase City, thinks there may be a little too much intimidation during school board meetings, and said he thinks it could be cause for the public to stifle itself during the public comment ... via Virginia/North Carolina News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Virginia/North Carolina News.

Since: Aug 07

Norfolk, VA

#1 Aug 26, 2007
Mr. Ashworth and Mr. Edwards exhibited horrible behavior. Neither is above reproach and should welcome the opportunity to explain rather than call a recess so they can behave like bullies. I hope they both lose in the next election.

Crewe, VA

#2 Aug 26, 2007
I feel that the board has betrayed the trust that we as voters put in them. They have never given an adequate reason for the non-renewal of Dr. P's contract.("it was a personnel matter that they could not legally discuss"). They have placed so much doubt in the public's view of them. They seem to be very power hungry and determined that they will be in control. Which is interesting, when they can't even control themselves...walking out meetings, harrassing public, backstabbing each other. I used to watch the news from raleigh nc and I think it was the board from Durham that had so much dissention, fighting, etc. I thought then that I was glad that we had a board here that looked after the best interest of the students / staff here. Now I feel really betrayed. At least the fighting in Durham was entertaining on the news...this is just sad for them, for us as voters, for the dedicated staff of the school system and most of all for the students. Every week you wonder what they are going to do next.

Norfolk, VA

#3 Aug 27, 2007
I can not imagine how these two men thought they could behave that way with others present. Mr. Edwards called the exposure of his handiwork to his wife's contract a personal attack??? The only part he had right was personal and that was in how he personally used his position on the school board to pad his own pocket.

If that is not a conflict of interest and abuse of power what is?
curious

United States

#4 Aug 30, 2007
"I hope they both lose in the next election"

First of all, Ashworth isn't running in the next election, so that's a moot point.

Edwards is unapposed. Of course it would be nice if a write in candidate would step up to try to unseat him.

If no one starts a write in campaign, he's a shoe in. Sad to think he's intimidated his whole district in such a way that no one will step up and run against him.

He represents the majority of the affluent and educated population of Clarksville/Buffalo Jct. All of Merifield Acres, Water's Edge, Westview on the Lake, Colleen's Cove, Conifer Cove,,,and the list goes on,,,,

There really should be no shortage of qualified registered voters that could easily replace him.

Speaking of nepotism, there's a candidate running in one district that could also be accused of seeking a seat to benefit his spouse. Someone should look into that and bring it to the attention of the public before Nov. 6th.

Gloucester, VA

#5 Aug 30, 2007
So Lewis is taking his leave of the school board? Smart man, but anyone who knows Lewis Ashworth already knows what a smart businessman he is.

As far as the "affluent and educated" go if they can't field a write-in candidate then it would seem like they approve whether they do or not.

On the subject of nepotism...people don't seem to mind from what I see, although they should.

The bad thing when stuff like this goes on we all suffer, not just the people who vote for these individuals.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clarksville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Virginia Medicaid Expansion (Feb '16) Feb '16 Patient X 1
Robert's Restaurant (Nov '08) Feb '16 william 4
Missing dog (Sep '15) Sep '15 Sue 1
The Penquin (Aug '08) Jun '15 Thomas Gregory 7
DSL Through Verizon in Clarksville (Apr '15) Apr '15 Ulysses 1
Healthcare in Clarksville Va (Jan '15) Mar '15 djanjj2u 2
where do i go to get a free background check? (Nov '13) Feb '15 Monique 3

Clarksville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance