Texas couple awarded more than $13M i...

Texas couple awarded more than $13M in Internet defamation case

There are 83 comments on the WFAA-TV Dallas story from Apr 23, 2012, titled Texas couple awarded more than $13M in Internet defamation case. In it, WFAA-TV Dallas reports that:

A Texas couple was awarded more than $13 million in a defamation case that raised questions about what people can say online.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFAA-TV Dallas.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“frequently laughing”

Since: Apr 09

Hotel California

#1 Apr 25, 2012
I found this story interesting.
Joe P

United States

#2 Apr 25, 2012
I'm glad we amuse u. U think it's funny? Do u . U think were clowns?

“frequently laughing”

Since: Apr 09

Hotel California

#3 Apr 25, 2012
Joe P wrote:
I'm glad we amuse u. U think it's funny? Do u . U think were clowns?
Where did you get I was laughing at anyone?

It is an interesting story because it set a precedent. I am under the impression this is the first time money has been awarded for defamation on the internet.

“Don't think, just dream.”

Since: Feb 12

The Alamo City

#4 Apr 25, 2012
I'm amused that the targets of the insults were forced to move out of town and lose their business, due to something said over the Internet.
Joe P

United States

#5 Apr 25, 2012
Relax I was just doing the bit from the movie Goodfellas

“frequently laughing”

Since: Apr 09

Hotel California

#6 Apr 25, 2012
Joe P wrote:
Relax I was just doing the bit from the movie Goodfellas
Duh on my part, I get it now. Very witty, thanks for the laugh.
leshrstmpr

Beaufort, SC

#7 Apr 25, 2012
fck the leshers- way to tear down 1 amendment right peices of shit
boo

Blossom, TX

#8 Apr 25, 2012
leshrstmpr wrote:
fck the leshers- way to tear down 1 amendment right peices of shit
you can wind up in court to dont go away mad just go the case was not a 1 amendent case it was a defamation case. there no such thing as posting anonymous on the internet they no who you or and where you live
Judgement

United States

#9 Apr 28, 2012
The case everyone is talking about where the jury awarded them, well that's just it the jury THINKS that is the amount the Leshers should be paid. The case is still PENDING!!!!!!!!!! The judge makes the judgement call and she has not done that yet. So the Leshers have stepped out on a very thin limb by going public with what they THINK they MIGHT GET. They have gone too far. Spending before receiving.... As I understand there was a IP from the business in Ft Worth nothing linking the Coyel family at ALL. Case still PENDING and then an APPEAL (Maybe) Nothing in STONE yet!!!!!!!
brenda

Blossom, TX

#10 Apr 28, 2012
Judgement wrote:
The case everyone is talking about where the jury awarded them, well that's just it the jury THINKS that is the amount the Leshers should be paid. The case is still PENDING!!!!!!!!!! The judge makes the judgement call and she has not done that yet. So the Leshers have stepped out on a very thin limb by going public with what they THINK they MIGHT GET. They have gone too far. Spending before receiving.... As I understand there was a IP from the business in Ft Worth nothing linking the Coyel family at ALL. Case still PENDING and then an APPEAL (Maybe) Nothing in STONE yet!!!!!!!
no bond no appeal

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#12 May 1, 2012
I cannot wait till they try and collect on that money. Good luck.
Skeeter

Versailles, KY

#13 May 1, 2012
If the award is upheld for any amount, the losers will be haunted with wage attachments, home liens, auto liens plus, forever.....no first amendment here, defamation...it is illegal..
i smell ya

United States

#14 May 2, 2012
Trippy_Roller wrote:
I'm amused that the targets of the insults were forced to move out of town and lose their business, due to something said over the Internet.
Alot of ppl take what they read onlibe as the gospel
brenda

Blossom, TX

#15 May 2, 2012
brenda wrote:
<quoted text>no bond no appeal
money an karma,an money great day for the lesher,s
zipdoday

Killeen, TX

#16 May 2, 2012
i smell ya wrote:
<quoted text>
Alot of ppl take what they read onlibe as the gospel
It was not what was said here on the web they are who they are .

Most everyone I talked to or over heard at the DQ said they were (what they are)human trash with money if they get more money they are still going to be trash.So they well be happy trash with money.If and when they run with out money they well still be trash.

They left town because (it was not because everyone back them)
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Garrulous

Austin, TX

#17 May 2, 2012
You know, I'm very glad I don't live there anymore.
You people are really really stupid, for not understanding how this works, and why the Leshers are in the right.
You can't type, and are generally about as well-educated as a monkey, zipdoday, et al.
Note: that isn't libel, what I said there. Look up the law.
ubedipt

Blossom, TX

#18 May 2, 2012
zipdoday wrote:
<quoted text>
It was not what was said here on the web they are who they are .
Most everyone I talked to or over heard at the DQ said they were (what they are)human trash with money if they get more money they are still going to be trash.So they well be happy trash with money.If and when they run with out money they well still be trash.
They left town because (it was not because everyone back them)
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
they no who u r an where u stay u r slooooooooow, more mouth more money
Just wondering

United States

#19 May 2, 2012
13.8 mill that's a lot of money. I bet those lawyers will be like sharks smelling blood, they will be biting chunks and hunks off old Jerry. I would hate to be in his place. He's gona get it from both sides. I just wonder who they will go after next. I bet it will be the county.
henry

Blossom, TX

#20 May 2, 2012
Just wondering wrote:
13.8 mill that's a lot of money. I bet those lawyers will be like sharks smelling blood, they will be biting chunks and hunks off old Jerry. I would hate to be in his place. He's gona get it from both sides. I just wonder who they will go after next. I bet it will be the county.
nope just val buy himself not the county
ubedipt

Blossom, TX

#21 May 2, 2012
zipdoday wrote:
<quoted text>
It was not what was said here on the web they are who they are .
Most everyone I talked to or over heard at the DQ said they were (what they are)human trash with money if they get more money they are still going to be trash.So they well be happy trash with money.If and when they run with out money they well still be trash.
They left town because (it was not because everyone back them)
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
the d. q. is not in a lawsuit U R money ,money,money

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clarksville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Family Dollar (Feb '16) 6 hr BoroughGrl 10
Hospital biggest rip-off? (Sep '15) May 15 Not really 25
News Yvonne Wanda Gray of Deer Park, Texas Apr 28 Fart Naps 2
271 Apr '18 sharon quire 1
County jail Apr '18 Harleygirl16 7
city hall Apr '18 question 1
still same old chickenhawk Apr '18 g er tow 5

Clarksville Jobs

Personal Finance

Clarksville Mortgages