Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Feb 13, 2013
Alex Weinstein no pic

Marlton, NJ

#1 Jan 4, 2013
Okay, everyone. Before I leave Almost Heaven for HEAVEN, I thought I ought to show you the difference.

LOOK at what THEY are talking about. HOW they write. etc. etc. etc.
What a pity. Makes me sad that my home state's biggest sense of pride comes from being deliberately dumb.

http://www.topix.com/city/fort-collins-co

Since: Jul 10

Bennettsville, SC

#2 Jan 4, 2013
Yes, the Fort Collins folks generally have better spelling and grammar than the average Topix poster in WV, and indulge in less gossip and name calling. The worst was the lady who claimed to have a college education, though.
What more do you expect from Waste Virginia, where politics is treated like sports, and sports is a religion? They will fire a librarian here to pay for astroturf or stadium lighting.
As for bending the English language, that's fine if you are doing creative writing, but I expect professional communicators such as news journalists to set a good example for the rest of us. Although politicians deal in obfuscation and distortion, they should at least use good spelling and grammar.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/clarksburg-wv...
Alex Weinstein no pic

Marlton, NJ

#3 Jan 4, 2013
Thank you for the information.
Alex Weinstein no pic

Marlton, NJ

#4 Jan 6, 2013
EDUCATION is INTELLECTUAL WEAPONRY. and right now you're ALL carrying a squirt gun.

You want someone to make a TV show about West Virginia NOT CALLED Buckwild? READ SOMEETHING, sometime. Something like PLATO. or MACHIAVELLI.

Bennettsville, SC

#5 Jan 6, 2013
I read The Prince about 20 years ago, and took notes. Nobody made me do it, I didn't get any course credit, and the library got the book back. It's a safe bet that there are more copies of the complete series of The Sopranos in Clarksburg than there are of Plato and Machiavelli combined.
I have loved to read since I learned how, but that makes me a member of a small minority in WV. MTV didn't come here to do a program about readers, they wanted mud-boggin' likker-swillin' white trash, and they didn't have to look hard. I'd rather see another movie about Jesco White. Really, I grew up in WV, and I couldn't understand the dialogue about a quarter of the time. No wonder they needed subtitles for the rest of the country.
Aside from the courthouse, the last reason I had to go to downtown Clarksburg was People's News. Where is a kid going to buy even a comic book anymore, outside of the shop in Fairmont or online?. A friend overheard a little girl in a store asking her father to buy her a book. Her father said something like, "You don't want no book. Them things is just a waste of time." This is not a state of readers, it's a state of football fans. You'll probably be happier in Colorado.
Alex Weinstein no pic

Marlton, NJ

#6 Jan 6, 2013
Well...

my head says Colorado.

but my heart will always say,

West Virginia.
Alex Weinstein no pic

Marlton, NJ

#7 Jan 6, 2013
However, if you like to read, I'd be interested in your opinion of my book:

the Winchester Girl. for Kindle.

Bennettsville, SC

#8 Jan 6, 2013
I don't have a Kindle. Is there some way to read it with a laptop?

But to exercise the intellect the prince should read histories, and study there the actions of illustrious men, to see how they have borne themselves in war, to examine the causes of their victories and defeat, so as to avoid the latter and imitate the former; and above all do as an illustrious man did, who took as an exemplar one who had been praised and famous before him, and whose achievements and deeds he always kept in his mind, as it is said Alexander the Great imitated Achilles, Caesar Alexander, Scipio Cyrus.

This is a run-on sentence, unless it somehow had an accident during translation.
Alex Weinstein no pic

Marlton, NJ

#9 Jan 6, 2013
There's an app you can download. You'll find it on the purchase page.
caper1

United States

#10 Jan 7, 2013
Alex Weinstein no pic wrote:
EDUCATION is INTELLECTUAL WEAPONRY. and right now you're ALL carrying a squirt gun.
You want someone to make a TV show about West Virginia NOT CALLED Buckwild? READ SOMEETHING, sometime. Something like PLATO. or MACHIAVELLI.
Have you ever visited the Eastern Shore?
caper1

United States

#11 Jan 7, 2013
Can't just knock on West Virginia. Just turn on the TV and the listen. If you know much about grammar, it is irritating as hell. Here is the MOST common and you hear it on the news, in the movies- everywhere: The use of pronouns rule- never use a noun and a pronoun together to name the same person or thing (Paul and I WE found a lizard. Mother SHE helped Ruth today.) Most of society sounds ignorant if you ask me. You hear the simple pronoun rule broken by just about EVERYONE all of the time along with MANY other rules of grammar. Society is just going to pot period and ignorance is out there no matter where you go. But you need to visit the Eastern Shore.
Beavis

Fairmont, WV

#12 Jan 7, 2013
The Proofreader wrote:
I don't have a Kindle. Is there some way to read it with a laptop?
But to exercise the intellect the prince should read histories, and study there the actions of illustrious men, to see how they have borne themselves in war, to examine the causes of their victories and defeat, so as to avoid the latter and imitate the former; and above all do as an illustrious man did, who took as an exemplar one who had been praised and famous before him, and whose achievements and deeds he always kept in his mind, as it is said Alexander the Great imitated Achilles, Caesar Alexander, Scipio Cyrus.
This is a run-on sentence, unless it somehow had an accident during translation.
Don't worry, the Amazon page has the "Look Inside" feature activated. You should be able to make a judgment after reading the first couple of pages.

My favorite part is:
"Even if she was smarter than them and they knew that she knew she was. And she knew that they knew, but they didn't know that."

Bennettsville, SC

#13 Jan 7, 2013
Yes, that is a gem. i hope there is more.
My first impression from the excerpt is Nancy Drew plus Jennifer Garner/Elektra plus Jodie Foster/Silence of the Lambs meet Clint Eastwood, directed by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. There were little problems like peddler should have been pedaler, and the sentence after the one mentioning the high school ball field didn't need to be there, or anywhere else. It is an interesting story though, and I am left wondering how it comes out, even though I am not much into action/adventure or spy/cop/detective or slasher/ horror stories.
I want to recommend some WV authors you might like. Lee Maynard, the Crum trilogy; Breece D'JPancake short stories; and anything by Pearl Buck. Does anyone else have suggestions?
Steamdude

Charleston, WV

#14 Jan 10, 2013
Beavis wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't worry, the Amazon page has the "Look Inside" feature activated. You should be able to make a judgment after reading the first couple of pages.
My favorite part is:
"Even if she was smarter than them and they knew that she knew she was. And she knew that they knew, but they didn't know that."
What bugs the hell out of me is the use of the phrase "I was like" in place of "I said", and I hear it everywhere. I've even heard Michelle Obama use it, and you can't accuse her of being uneducated!
Martha

AOL

#15 Jan 27, 2013
What I can't stand is when they say at . at the end of a sentence. Where they at . I have heard police on scanners say that. Where you going to be at. There is a scientific study being done about the decline of society through the recent years.

I wonder where this book is at.
alex congressman weinstei

Clarksburg, WV

#16 Feb 5, 2013
When you girls coming to Humperdinx at?
sue

Fairmont, WV

#17 Feb 13, 2013
i am confused
u funny

Richmond, VA

#18 Feb 13, 2013
You ppl need to teach our children and hold some book groups. You know what irritates me, a bunch of parents complaining about kids grammer and word structure . Teach teach teach not preach. Remember Wv is one of worst in edu. And childhood obesity. All brought on buy being poor. What have any of you done to fix?
theKidsRallRight

Clarksburg, WV

#19 Feb 13, 2013
Alex Weinstein no pic wrote:
However, if you like to read, I'd be interested in your opinion of my book:
the Winchester Girl. for Kindle.
My honest and sincere opinion is that it is not good. The choppy sentences get old and lose their effect after 2 or 3 of them, too many "to be" s and basically, its all over the place, for instance you are talking about Tina hanging upside down in a chair (I had to read that twice due to the confusing sentence structure) and then jump to "but she is an attractive girl" or some thing like that. Hope this helps.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clarksburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Ferguson - Clarksburg, WV 8 hr meh 25
Boxing coming to Clarksburg 8 hr just me! 2
State says ciao to 36th annual Italian Heritage... 9 hr seriously 4
tally rally 17 hr Rambone 2
Bridgeport O.I.S. Report Fri Senator Alex Wein... 22
Salem K9 and SCAD for the WIN Fri Rambone 5
Who are the hot chicks of Clarksburg? Aug 28 jeanette fan 9
•••
•••
•••