Comments
41 - 60 of 74 Comments Last updated Jun 11, 2013
oh yea

Fairmont, WV

#64 Aug 30, 2010
Night Watchman wrote:
<quoted text>
As a long term Mission employee, I can say that your claims are baseless. If you are adressing this to the Maggie I know and adore, you should have the guts to include her last name. You should also have the guts to include your name as well. My name is Steve Carr and I am saying that your post is a lie. The "Board" you refer to isn't involved in receiving dnations in any way. The notion of skimming is untrue in every way. I ask anyone in doubt to come to the Mission and ask for me. I will show you that all Anon said is untrue.
So why don't they post prices on the goods? Why do they quote different prices to different people?

“Don't sing it, Bring it!”

Since: Nov 08

Clarksburg, WV

#65 Aug 31, 2010
Night Watchman wrote:
<quoted text>
As a long term Mission employee, I can say that your claims are baseless. If you are adressing this to the Maggie I know and adore, you should have the guts to include her last name. You should also have the guts to include your name as well. My name is Steve Carr and I am saying that your post is a lie. The "Board" you refer to isn't involved in receiving donations in any way. The notion of skimming is untrue in every way. I ask anyone in doubt to come to the Mission and ask for me. I will show you that all Anon said is untrue.
That is defending something you believe in. Good for you Steve. You just became the high ground and the other poster looks like what they probably are a person with a personal problem with someone or something spreading lies to try to hurt it reputation. I support what the mission does. It is a hard job but a lot of people would have an even rougher life than they have without it.
Curious

Clarksburg, WV

#66 Sep 2, 2010
I would just like to know why is it that you receive FREE merchandise and then charge for the items.... It should be free since it was free to you all... How ridiculous is that ? Also, you need to quit allowing your tenants over there hang outside a harass people that are coming into your store to shop... I don't care to pay for the merchandise but some of that stuff is WAY OVERPRICED and it's crazy... You need to make your tenants during the day remove themselves and go to other areas , so people can feel safe when they come and shop at your store.... Like Scott's place and the salvation army in Fairmont, Wv ... Those tenants has to find something else to do during the day... They are not allowed to harass people... There is a place in the back of the mission... Down in the back.... Fix them picnic tables or what ever they need and make them stay behind the store... Not in the front or on the side of the building. That looks real professional ! Why do you guys allow that.... There is a big area down back behind your building - Make them mow that area and make them stay down there -- If they have nothing else better to do.
Anon

Clarksburg, WV

#67 Oct 26, 2010
Once again, people will and can believe what they want...I have no problems with the mission besides the couple I've mentioned. If anyone has any doubts, do as someone replied and take a trip there for yourself. Take note of the absolute junk they have as inventory and ask yourself if you think they pick over the items. Also, try to apply... If I have to take the "low ground" I will, I would rather be down here than with all you who are "high and mighty".

Clarksburg, WV

#68 Oct 26, 2010
Anon wrote:
Once again, people will and can believe what they want...I have no problems with the mission besides the couple I've mentioned. If anyone has any doubts, do as someone replied and take a trip there for yourself. Take note of the absolute junk they have as inventory and ask yourself if you think they pick over the items. Also, try to apply... If I have to take the "low ground" I will, I would rather be down here than with all you who are "high and mighty".
Ohhhh...This is the topic where you deep seeded hate for me started that caused you to go behind me on basially every conversation. Why is that? Because I supported the other side? Childish don't you think?
Anon

Clarksburg, WV

#69 Oct 26, 2010
No, I didn't like you from the moment I found this board and noticed how big-headed you are. Notice I said "didn't like", I wouldn't waste the energy being incensed enough to hate you. You are just a faceless name. Besides, to hate would truely be childish.

Clarksburg, WV

#70 Oct 27, 2010
Anon wrote:
No, I didn't like you from the moment I found this board and noticed how big-headed you are. Notice I said "didn't like", I wouldn't waste the energy being incensed enough to hate you. You are just a faceless name. Besides, to hate would truely be childish.
Don't try to use big words you don't understand the meaning of loser. Incensed is a past participle, past tense of inĚcense (Verb) 2. Make very angry: "incensed by the accusations".

Your usage makes very little sense. I get what you meant but you didnt use it correctly.
4 posts removed
Chris

Bridgeport, WV

#75 Nov 18, 2010
Curious wrote:
I would just like to know why is it that you receive FREE merchandise and then charge for the items.... It should be free since it was free to you all... How ridiculous is that ? Also, you need to quit allowing your tenants over there hang outside a harass people that are coming into your store to shop... I don't care to pay for the merchandise but some of that stuff is WAY OVERPRICED and it's crazy... You need to make your tenants during the day remove themselves and go to other areas , so people can feel safe when they come and shop at your store.... Like Scott's place and the salvation army in Fairmont, Wv ... Those tenants has to find something else to do during the day... They are not allowed to harass people... There is a place in the back of the mission... Down in the back.... Fix them picnic tables or what ever they need and make them stay behind the store... Not in the front or on the side of the building. That looks real professional ! Why do you guys allow that.... There is a big area down back behind your building - Make them mow that area and make them stay down there -- If they have nothing else better to do.
How do you think the mission pays it's bills? On puppy kisses? The money from the store PAYS the bills. And that's why at the store is raising it's prices periodically in order to stay with the raising economy (same as elsewhere). And have you ever thought those people standing in front maybe are not tentants? Tentants have to volunteer or work if they live there. Maybe take a tour and knowledge yourself. And to the person who wanted to know why the prices were never marked. Things come in as fast as they go out. If they had triple the amount of volunteers than maybe they would be able to do that. So if your concerned, pitch in! I'm sure they would love to have more volunteers. And don't be afraid to ask someone at the mission if you have questions or concerns! Stating your concern on here will not get you far (unless your in it purely for the drama). Thank you, Chris, shopper at the Mission.
Chris

Bridgeport, WV

#76 Nov 18, 2010
Anon wrote:
Maggie,
I would like you to comment on the fact that all the clothes and donated items that come through the mission are first picked through by your employees. People donate this stuff to help others, not for you and your "board" to have first dibs. If anyone has REALLY been to their thrift store, then they know that everything in there is the bottom of the barrel. I know for a fact that they pick out any antiques and newer items for themselves. Anything of value. I know many pickers who used to love going there to see what treasures they might find, but nowadays anyone in the know will tell you that it is all junk. These items are donated to be sold to the public, not for you to take home for yourselves and your families. If anyone questions this for themselves, then I URGE you to go there and ask if you can apply for a position...they will say anything to discourage a new face from entering into their circle. Go and see for yourselves...I have.
Let's just think logically for a minute (thinking out loud if you will). If I ran a donation store and good donations came in like antiques, would I just sale it for a couple bucks or take it and have it appraised to see if it's worth couple hundred bucks? Would I sell it in a thrift store or sell it at an auction or ebay to get more money out of it to better support the mission? Would I take a new donation and put it in the new dorms instead of buying the same item at store in order to save money? Your immediately going straight to judgement. Honestly, if it was me and I saw someone take it, I would ask the store clerk, "Hey, what are they going to use that for?". I'm sure you'll be surprise to hear a logical answer (like they are using it for the dorms or they are using it for a fire victim's vouchers or domestic violence victim vouchers or they are using it to go with a tenants moving out voucher). Possibilities are endless and 95% of the time it is not negative. Think and ask questions! Don't limit yourself. Your better than that! Thank you, Chris, shopper at the mission.
Alright Chris

Clarksburg, WV

#77 Nov 18, 2010
Then explain why it is that they won't post prices? Why do they check out the person buying the item then tell them how much it is? Why is something for you $3 while it might be $1 or $5 for me? That is total BS!
Night Watchman

French Creek, WV

#78 Nov 20, 2010
Razor1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is defending something you believe in. Good for you Steve. You just became the high ground and the other poster looks like what they probably are a person with a personal problem with someone or something spreading lies to try to hurt it reputation. I support what the mission does. It is a hard job but a lot of people would have an even rougher life than they have without it.
Thank You. It's belated I know but truly, I Thank You for this.
Chris

Clarksburg, WV

#79 Jan 2, 2011
Alright Chris wrote:
Then explain why it is that they won't post prices? Why do they check out the person buying the item then tell them how much it is? Why is something for you $3 while it might be $1 or $5 for me? That is total BS!
Well, I've already explain the reason (due to lack of volunteers vs. the high number of donations coming in) why everything doesn't have prices. Plus, take a look behind the counter, the prices are listed on common items (there is like 50 common items listed). Why you may get a different price on the same item is probably because it is in a different condition or you got a different sales clerk. They have a basic price to go by but of course it will vary due to the condition of the items. If you wanna know the price and it's not on the list, then ask! Works every time. And if by some chance you get 2 products in there that are the same and in the same condition but get a different price than someone else, then ask why! Sorry but your just being whiny on here and not proactive in out there. If there is something I don't like or dont understand, I always ask or explain my side of things to the person directly in a polite but stern way. Stand up for yourself and ask questions directly in a polite way without raising your voice and you will be surprised with the outcomes. Good luck!
volenteer

Clarksburg, WV

#80 Jun 17, 2012
Doddridge Citizen wrote:
wow Jack, those are some pretty serious allegations! Where are you getting this information?
I lived at the Clarksburg mission for almost 6 months and I agree that there is massive theft by general employees, but not all. Its funny how you see meat donated by Walmart and the staff with go through it without the help of volenteers. And then the volenteers are called in to put it away. There are no stakes in the supply being put away that were in the stacks being delivered. Then right after the kitchen closes and staff are leaving to go home with stacks of stakes in hand. One time I was volenteering in the store and Thomas Kinkade ornament was donated. I pointed out to the store manager that it was of value and offered to look up the price on the enternet so we could get a good price in the store for it. She said "wait dont do that I am going to buy it for a few bucks and dont want to know the real price. Needless to say she put it in her purse and never paid for it.
Now those are facts. I can give many more examples of Theft if you would like.
Catherine McCormack
#81 Aug 16, 2012
I stayed at the mission for two nights the beginning of August.. I was warmly welcomed and they wanted me to stay. And I may have if I was not on a journey that I have to finish. I do agree that some people that stay long term could do more to help make the area look better. The majority are working on getting back on their feet. Clarksburg is lucky to have a mission such as the one they do. The people who work there are the best bunch of folks I've ever met. And so are some of the folks staying there. So please don't base what you say on hearsay. Go down and check em out you will find out firsthand that they are good people doing a good thing!
Kathy Barker

AOL

#82 Aug 17, 2012
Yes, Always go to horses mouth. Never go by hearsay. You would not believe how many people have no idea what they are talking about and just plain make things and names up.

That is very dangerous to people's lives.

Don't be a part of it
Jenny Gregory 60

Clarksburg, WV

#83 Sep 30, 2012
I can not believe that people complain so much, and most of the time repeat gossip and people actually believe it.. We are so fortunate not to be living at the mission ourselves. I have seen so many families helped at the mission, finally find jobs and a home. Instead of complaining and not doing anything..Check out the mission yourselves and help make the area safer and better for not only this community but for the residents that live here and the people that work here..Chris Mullet, the director there is my neighbor and he and his family are a great Christian family and I know of others that help there that are above reproach...Go to their site and see what their needs are and pass that around. Maybe God will put on your hearts many things you can do to help..God loves a cheerful giver!!!

Clarksburg, WV

#84 Oct 3, 2012
volenteer wrote:
<quoted text> I lived at the Clarksburg mission for almost 6 months and I agree that there is massive theft by general employees, but not all. Its funny how you see meat donated by Walmart and the staff with go through it without the help of volenteers. And then the volenteers are called in to put it away. There are no stakes in the supply being put away that were in the stacks being delivered. Then right after the kitchen closes and staff are leaving to go home with stacks of stakes in hand. One time I was volenteering in the store and Thomas Kinkade ornament was donated. I pointed out to the store manager that it was of value and offered to look up the price on the enternet so we could get a good price in the store for it. She said "wait dont do that I am going to buy it for a few bucks and dont want to know the real price. Needless to say she put it in her purse and never paid for it.
Now those are facts. I can give many more examples of Theft if you would like.
The professional spelling bee circuit is not paying off?

Clarksburg, WV

#85 Oct 3, 2012
Catherine McCormack wrote:
I stayed at the mission for two nights the beginning of August.. I was warmly welcomed and they wanted me to stay. And I may have if I was not on a journey that I have to finish. I do agree that some people that stay long term could do more to help make the area look better. The majority are working on getting back on their feet. Clarksburg is lucky to have a mission such as the one they do. The people who work there are the best bunch of folks I've ever met. And so are some of the folks staying there. So please don't base what you say on hearsay. Go down and check em out you will find out firsthand that they are good people doing a good thing!
LUCKY?!?! OMG! Are you kidding me? We would be LUCKY if the mission moved away from downtown Clarksburg.

“stop it...you're embarrassing ”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#86 Oct 4, 2012
I think the mission could do more good, but its needs to be managed better. To many low lifes that are never going to accept help are being given sactuary their and wasting the funding. Help those that want the help & kick the rest to the curb to fend for themselves. I also believe it needs to be in a different area; outside city limits is a bad idea, but in a different area, with a bigger building it could lead to more productivity.

Furthermore, I am sure that those who are adamant about the mission moving would be more helpful with donations and volunteering if the riff raff was removed from the equation. I know everyone hears rumors, whether its from workers or people who live there, but I see it this way. When the police have to step up patrol due to issues in any given area, then it is time for a change!

Clarksburg, WV

#87 Oct 4, 2012
Outside the city limits, far outside, is the only way I would ever be onboard.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clarksburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Ferguson - Clarksburg, WV 9 hr 37OHSSV 23
Bridgeport O.I.S. Report 13 hr anonymous 21
Who are the hot chicks of Clarksburg? 15 hr jeanette fan 9
Help me mommy 16 hr Over your head 5
Jackson Ave Shooting 17 hr hello 51
States wirh pot. 19 hr Standupforyourrights 13
Salem K9 and SCAD for the WIN Wed Good to go 2
•••
•••
•••