Bridgeport, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

Judged:

I have been watching the Waldo fall apart for years and there is no doubt what-so-ever that it is ready for demolition.I have been in the construction trades for many years and I find any engineering report that establishes the Waldo as sound, questionable at best.
As I watched that Waldo group form, I saw how some people tried to inject responsible remarks on their website and particular members of the site ridiculed them and belittled anyone who didn't see things their way. There was no way I was going to be a part of that kind of behavior.I see it as irresponsible and frankly, upsetting to know that kind of activity was permitted. But in hindsight I can see why, because some of those people who did the bad mouthing ended up as self appointed officers of the group and use their admin priveleges to censor people that were in the know.
I also learned that many of the people that were added to the group total to make it look like there is more support than there really is. That practice is also questionable, and I would certainly be sceptical of any reports they publish on the site. For example; Recently, the group held a fund raiser and paid out a cash prize of $1000 to an unmentioned recipient. I think those funds should have been kept toward the effort and not given away. Since the general public and the taxpayer is being asked to make donations to this group, I say the financial records should be public information, disclosing where every cent came from and went to in order to be legitimate. Otherwise, no taxpayer money, such as public works efforts or donations from the City or State should be granted.Especially when it is being given away to undisclosed persons. How shady is that? I ask.
So to make a long story short... the Waldo and its supporters are just another drain on the local ecomomy and the whole thing is political whitewash. Someone must be making a buck or there wouldn't be all this money exchanging hands and no apparent preservation effort. If they have to scrape and scrounge to get enough money to pay back taxes, then how can anyone expect them to find money for the upcoming tax burden, much less the money required to save the building.
My guess is that the group turned down having Vandalia give them ownership, because the ones responsible know the building is a loss, and they will end up with the liability of upkeep,taxes,insurance, and possibly the million or so dollars it will take to tear the building down. You couldn't give the thing away, who do you think will be so naive as to invest 20 million or more to make it usable? Just wait until a piece of that roof comes off and hits someone... then we'll see who gets held acountable. Those who are responsible for running this gambit will scatter like the cockroaches in the basement!!!

Since: May 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

Judged:

Yeah, elimination dinners give away cash prizes.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

Judged:

If the building is unsafe it would seem like it'd be easy for the city condemn it and order it torn down. All they need to do is get one of their certified building inspectors in there.

Oh wait... a city of over 16,000 people doesn't actually have a certified building inspector on the payroll.

Nevermind.
DTW

Salem, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

Judged:

It doesn't take a certified inspector to see the Waldo is ruined beyond repair. And correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no certifed inspectors in the "preservation society" who have the credentials to make assessments on the conditions of the building. But they sure do have their opinions on how it can be done.
Yes, Snuffy, elimination dinners give away cash prizes, but giving away $1000 donated for the intent of saving the Waldo, to an "undisclosed person" is not ethical and should NEVER have happened.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

Judged:

Elimination dinners are unethical? Get real.

I don't know if the Waldo group has any certified inspectors on it but apparently they do have engineering reports from licensed engineers. That's more than the people against the building have.

It's inexcusable for a city of this size not to have certified building inspectors. How much time and money would be saved just in lawsuits. Every time a building is condemned it turns into some kind of hillbilly spectacle. All I'm saying is pull up the level of professionalism and a building really is dangerous then the owners will have less grounds for complaint.
not stupid

Clarksburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

Judged:

That group, and the building are lost causes!
They are misinformed & follow a lemming mentality.

Example one board member made a flagrant accusation regarding a past member, that happens to be married to an employee of the Clarksburg Exponent.

Stating that this x-member had let the preverbial 'cat out of the bag' that the newspaper was only negative about their cause because their desire was to level the building for parking and this x-member had already designed logos for this project. Furthermore that this x-member had since deleted her blog post to cover her faux pas of exposing the newspapers devious plans.

If Waldo board member had done a little investigating before having diareah of the mouth, she would have found that what she pulled from her memory of the initial post was grossly askew.

ONE The post has not been deleted. It still stands in the notes on the x-members facebook wall. It was infact the WALDO admins that deleted the link from their group.

TWO Their is NO mention of Clarksburg Exponent nor any desire for a parking lot on the Waldo location.

THREE There is no logo designed for this said project, but an idea for a memorial plaque to honor the Waldo.

FOUR Lastly there is even a legaleez disclaimer on the said blog that stated:
" These are MY personal views and ideas regarding 'Preserving the Waldo' and my distaste for the action of some of those involved. It does not reflect in any way shape or form the view of my employers, affiliates or any one involved in the media."

After faced with facts she removed her post, but not before the lemmings jumped on board and you will see The Exponent and Parking lot used in the same sentence on a regular basis, in fact it is mentioned in this topic thread!

Then there is the "loonytoon" that adresses the rotting carcass as "Lady" as if she is courting it for marriage.

The use of child labor on clean up sites that is against OSHA rules.

The new poem from "Lady Waldo" (puked in my mouth) that laughably states "I have been robbed of vital
organs." "I have had my wealth, glitter, and jewels stolen."
Then it goes on to say "NOW there is a unit of brave soldiers amass at my feet"
LOL Was the lady asleep when the brave soldiers were ripping out her radiators and metal for scrap?
OH And taking the fire escape off by the light of the moon? WHY was this done at such an hour if it wasn't a fishy move? They knew they wouldn't have been given permission to do this. No one could get out to stop them once they started in the night. Where was the soldiers permit for this work? AND since the building is still standing, and they have removed the fire escape, this now gives fire marshals a reason to push forward for a demo order!
Open your eyes 'Lady Waldo', for it is your loyal soldiers are raping your dead body!

And the parties, the MardiGras is doomed to be failure the NY party was.

Their own board members made posts about being home in time for the ball to drop. Isn't the whole reason for a New Years party is to bring in the New Year... dissapointing turn out too much for you?

And YES what about this $1000 prize that the winner wants to remain anonymous! COUGH BULLSHIT COUGH. Either 1 of 2 things have occured here, ONE there was no prize because ticket sales were too low to support it OR a board member won conveniently so the moneys wouldnt have to be paid out!

Yet they talk about raising awareness word of mouth and advertising in places such as Shinston and Bridgeport for example. WHY on the face of the earth would citizens of another city dig in their pockets and give to a useless cause such as the waldo when they cant even drum up support from their own locale? Their hard earned dollar would be better served in their own community. And Bridgeport of all cities to go to for support is the biggest laugh of all. Bridgeport as a whole sees clarksburg as an boil on the ass of our area and the Waldo is the core!
notstupid

Clarksburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

Judged:

That group, and the building are lost causes!
They are misinformed & follow a lemming mentality.

Example one board member made a flagrant accusation regarding a past member, that happens to be married to an employee of the Clarksburg Exponent.

Stating that this x-member had let the perverbial 'cat out of the bag' that the newspaper was only negative about their cause because their desire was to level the building for parking and this x-member had already designed logos for this project. Furthermore that this x-member had since deleted her blog post to cover her faux pas of exposing the newspapers devious plans.

If Waldo board member had done a little investigating before having diareah of the mouth, she would have found that what she pulled from her memory of the initial post was grossly askew.

ONE The post has not been deleted. It still stands in the notes on the x-members facebook wall. It was in fact the WALDO admins that deleted the link from their group.

TWO Their is NO mention of Clarksburg Exponent nor any desire for a parking lot on the Waldo location.

THREE There is no logo designed for this said project, but an idea for a memorial plaque to honor the Waldo.

" These are MY personal views and ideas regarding 'Preserving the Waldo' and my distaste for the action of some of those involved. It does not reflect in any way shape or form the view of my employers, affiliates or any one involved in the media."

After faced with facts she removed her post, but not before the lemmings jumped on board and you will see The Exponent and Parking lot used in the same sentence on a regular basis, in fact it is mentioned in this topic thread!

Then there is the "loonytoon" that adresses the rotting carcass as "Lady" as if she is courting it for marriage.

The use of child labor on clean up sites that is against OSHA rules.

The new poem from "Lady Waldo" (puked in my mouth) that laughably states "I have been robbed of vital
organs." "I have had my wealth, glitter, and jewels stolen."
Then it goes on to say "NOW there is a unit of brave soldiers amass at my feet"
LOL Was the lady asleep when the brave soldiers were ripping out her radiators and metal for scrap?
OH And taking the fire escape off by the light of the moon? WHY was this done at such an hour if it wasn't a fishy move? They knew they wouldn't have been given permission to do this. No one could get out to stop them once they started in the night. Where was the soldiers permit for this work? AND since the building is still standing, and they have removed the fire escape, this now gives fire marshals a reason to push forward for a demo order!
Open your eyes 'Lady Waldo', for it is your loyal soldiers are raping your dead body!

And the parties, the MardiGras is doomed to be failure the NY party was.

Their own board members made posts about being home in time for the ball to drop. Isn't the whole reason for a New Years party is to bring in the New Year... disapointing turn out too much for you?

And YES what about this $1000 prize that the winner wants to remain anonymous! COUGH BULLSHIT COUGH. Either 1 of 2 things have occured here, ONE there was no prize because ticket sales were too low to support it OR a board member won conveniently so the moneys wouldnt have to be paid out!

Yet they talk about raising awareness word of mouth and advertising in places such as Shinnston and Bridgeport for example. WHY on the face of the earth would citizens of another city dig in their pockets and give to a useless cause such as the waldo when they cant even drum up support from their own locale? Their hard earned dollar would be better served in their own community. And Bridgeport of all cities to go to for support is the biggest laugh of all. Bridgeport as a whole sees clarksburg as an boil on the ass of our area and the Waldo is the core!
notstupid

Clarksburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

Judged:

cont.
I could go on and on with countless negatives regarding the building and it's supporting group and not for the life of me come up with ONE positive reason for keeping the building. Even if there were a snowballs chance in hell that it weren't beyond saving... and it is. So when you logically weigh the options it is obvious what should happen.

Bottom line is, the best thing that could happen to help begin to cleanse clarksburg of its run down ghost town reputation would be to level the rotting carcas that is stinking up the place and that is THE WALDO.
zig zag

Fairmont, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

Judged:

This is the way I see it, Vandalia Historical Society owns the building. If they are going to fix it up than do it. If not condemn it like every other run down building in this town and tear it down and send Vandalia the bill. NO make Vandalia pay for it up front.

If anyone wants to donate money or try to raise money for the restoration go for it. It's your right. That is all there is to it.

If anyone out there wants public money to fix it up, screw you. I wanted a new roof on my house and I paid for it. No one helped me.

I happen to be one of the one who feel the cost out weights the profit. What profit, Vandalia owns the building.

Think of the schools in this county that are as old or nearly as old as the Waldo. Now should we spend 10 to 20 million dollars on the Waldo or spend 10 to 20 million dollars on our kids' future?
not stupid

Clarksburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

Judged:

zig zag you are right!
The building IS condemned. BUT the distruction cost is also very high and the city has a budget for that as well. If it ewrent for that, the building would have already been gone! Vandelia had a time frame to make repairs. They didnt do it.

I agree before I would give a dime to that lost cause I would donate my money to schools in the area or even other cities for that matter!
zig zag

Fairmont, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

Judged:

not stupid wrote:
zig zag you are right!
The building IS condemned. BUT the distruction cost is also very high and the city has a budget for that as well. If it ewrent for that, the building would have already been gone! Vandelia had a time frame to make repairs. They didnt do it.
I agree before I would give a dime to that lost cause I would donate my money to schools in the area or even other cities for that matter!
It sounds like it is time for the city to start legal proceedings against Vandelia. Every day, week, month and years that go by the cost to tear it down goes up.
HOW MUCH WOULD YOU LIKE TO BET THAT WE END UP PAYING TO HAVE IT DONE???????

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

Judged:

The Waldo Hotel is a beautiful building. Destroying it for parking would be a travesty. There are a few things they could do cheaply to make it look better.

It seems like there are two sides and neither are very reasonable. One side wants to save every last building regardless of the reason. For example, people were upset that the old Sheraton was coming down despite the fact a new state office building is going in there that will bring a couple hundred jobs to downtown. The other side wants to tear everything down regardless of the cost and regardless of whether they have anything better to replace it with. Why would you destroy a 100 year old landmark building for a parking lot?
not stupid

Clarksburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

Judged:

snuffy where have you been? Did you not read my post? There is NO reference to the location for a parking lot! One that wouldnt be the worst thing to happen since there is no parking in clarksburg, but that isnt the main point. The Newspaper doesnt own the property, so why would they want it towrn down for parking. TWO their is no need for a hotel in a town that has no traffic. A park, another NEW buisness to breath new life into down town would be great. That building has stood rotting for what 12years? Endangering people with falling debris and the fact that the roof isnt draining properly one misplaced icecycle on a passerby could be deadly. Its time for it to go! The money is better spent elsewhere!
not stupid

Clarksburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

Judged:

zig zag wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds like it is time for the city to start legal proceedings against Vandelia. Every day, week, month and years that go by the cost to tear it down goes up.
HOW MUCH WOULD YOU LIKE TO BET THAT WE END UP PAYING TO HAVE IT DONE???????
The sad thing is your right. But Vandelia has no money. That is why they cant even pay the back taxes and are depending on these mislead individual that think they can save it to do so. So what, even if they raise the money to get it out of hawk, then what, let it stand another few years while they get behind again? Vandalia at one time had grants to help with reconstruction but wasnt able to match the funds to go forward with it, so they lost them. Honestly though, I would sooner donate my money to see it be destroyed and be done with it, than throw good money after bad and try to save it and then it still be lost in the long run.
DTW

Morgantown, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

Judged:

DontCallMeSnuffy wrote:
Elimination dinners are unethical? Get real.
I don't know if the Waldo group has any certified inspectors on it but apparently they do have engineering reports from licensed engineers. That's more than the people against the building have.
It's inexcusable for a city of this size not to have certified building inspectors. How much time and money would be saved just in lawsuits. Every time a building is condemned it turns into some kind of hillbilly spectacle. All I'm saying is pull up the level of professionalism and a building really is dangerous then the owners will have less grounds for complaint.
The elimination dinner concept isn't unethical. Giving away the money that was donated for preservation is.
Why $1000??? Anyone attending the dinner would have know what the benefit was for and would have participated just as much for a prize significantly smaller. And if the person who won would have been as much a preservationist as claimed, they would have returned the prize money to the fund and brought it $1000 closer to the goal.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

Judged:

Where do you get that they gave away donated money?
not stupid

Clarksburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

Judged:

DontCallMeSnuffy wrote:
Where do you get that they gave away donated money?
here do you think it came from Snuffy?
They are doing everything to raise money for this 'cause' if they had spare change to the tune of $1000 to give away what would they need to have the fundraiser for? Of course it came from donations, or fundraising efforts. If it even really happened at all and wasnt just a bullshit ploy to get people to come to the waste of time function! GET A CLUE!
Sparkle

Elkins, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

Judged:

Excuse me .... who led Renee to this blog. I hope , by now, everyone knows she is on a crusade against the Waldo Preservation Society, for whatever moronic reason, and she just wont shut up and mind her own business. No one has asked for her opinion, her know-it-all attitude, or any money from her. You are the one who needs to get a clue little girl ... and while you're at it, get a purpose of your own, and stop with the constant disruptions already. Geeeesh!
not stupid

Clarksburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

Judged:

Sparkle? whether or not I'm Renee or a friend of Renee is of no bearing. Sorry you can't control the postings here darling!

Maybe if JEAN would have done some reasearch before she stated 'facts' based on renee's post then she would still have been done with the whole issue. But ou idiots just couldnt pass up the opportunity to fan the flames again so the real truth is here for people to see.

You must be worried that she has some pull or way to bring you down or you wouldnt be so concerned about her.

I'm sorry but she is a member of the community that is clarksburg and just because she doesnt agree with your 'cause' doesnt make her oppion any less valuable! And obviously she is not the only one that doesnt support your effort, you going to yell at all of us and stop your little feet for YOUR LADY FRIEND? AND Furthermore Sparkle (laughable name for such a dimwit) I would LOVE to see your internet balls face her in the real world.
not stupid

Clarksburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

Judged:

For the record for all on this forum to see since Waldo Admins can not delete the link from here...
This is the link to Renee's 'note' that all facebook members can see because her page is public.

Since we are now naming names thanks to sparkle that Waldo Board member JEAN took her slanted facts from that she let some 'cat out of the bag' about the Clarksburg Exponent wanting to use the Waldo location for parking, and had designed a logo for it as well, then later Renee supposedly deleted said post.

As stated in previous post you will find NOTHING of her claims in this post dated AUGUST that still stands!

ONE The post has not been deleted. It still stands in the notes on the x-members facebook wall. It was infact the WALDO admins that deleted the link from their group.

LINK:
https://www.facebook.com/RenCourtney #!/note.php?note_id=1499966717 52240

Can't delete this one Sparky! Facts are facts, should do your research before you run off at the mouth. You will find if you dont that when the truth surfaces you look pretty ignorant.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

31 Users are viewing the Clarksburg Forum right now

Search the Clarksburg Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 8 min George 53,539
Easy Chicks. 57 min what2know 15
Chenoweth Ford Service 3 hr what2know 4
Does anyone know what happened to Staci Webb? 4 hr Tom 5
Do you know larry leach?? (Mar '10) 9 hr blah blah 21
stealy beating (Dec '13) 9 hr bang bang 39
amara marshall this is ur champ how can i get a... 13 hr ThaDood 7
•••
•••
•••
•••

Clarksburg Jobs

•••