AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2011

Judged:

Back 20 years ago, i lived at the Waldo. It was fun. People were like family. I wish I could do it again. I hope that Vandalia historical will redo the whole thing and open it up again,,,It would be a moneymaker, and an appealling place for folks to once again be like family. what memories!
margo

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2011

Judged:

YES!!
first timer

Fairmont, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2011

Judged:

I agree. The place is full of history. And I hope the Vandalia Historical Society will do what they can to refurbish the building and bring back some of the PRIDE the city has lost over the years.Open that beautiful place up and be rid of the parsons.that place is nothing more than a drug house with the help of the people who own it. Yet they keep getting extra time to fix that dump.And one of CLARKSBURGs most famous buildings is about to go down.This doesn't make any sense to me.
Beavis

Herndon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2011

Judged:

Let's tear it down, then all the history buffs can walk around aimlessly chanting "Where's Waldo."
heyhey4

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2011

Judged:

Beavis wrote:
Let's tear it down, then all the history buffs can walk around aimlessly chanting "Where's Waldo."
Good one.....lol
first timer

Fairmont, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2011

Judged:

when you tear it down what is going to replace such a historic building...a parking lot or a bank for all wealthy Italians?Pres. stayed in that Hotel.Famous people of that era stayed in the Waldo.Yet they {C.C.C.] wants nothing more to tear it down because of the prime location for more italians to buy up the real estate to "keep the money in the family".What a shame for such a majestic place.It's a sad time to live in Clarksburg.
first timer

Fairmont, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2011

Judged:

as for bevis GO BACK TO YOUR FIND WALDO seek and find.
prostiebarbie

Clarksburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2011

Judged:

first timer wrote:
when you tear it down what is going to replace such a historic building...a parking lot or a bank for all wealthy Italians?Pres. stayed in that Hotel.Famous people of that era stayed in the Waldo.Yet they {C.C.C.] wants nothing more to tear it down because of the prime location for more italians to buy up the real estate to "keep the money in the family".What a shame for such a majestic place.It's a sad time to live in Clarksburg.
The only people who talk about wealthy Italians are snuffy trash. Get with the times the new enemies are gays and illegal immigrants, italians are so 1960.
Beavis

Herndon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2011

Judged:

prostiebarbie wrote:
<quoted text>
The only people who talk about wealthy Italians are snuffy trash. Get with the times the new enemies are gays and illegal immigrants, italians are so 1960.
Don't forget druggies.
prostiebarbie

Clarksburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2011

Judged:

Beavis wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget druggies.
No not them, they keep the cops too tied up to figure out there is a mafia under the street in a tunnel...with illegal immigrants smuggling black market canoli
first timer

Fairmont, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2011

Judged:

Prostiebarbie,You need to go back to your own thread and leave the good threads off your list to read because you say I'm so 1960 and yet you talk about gay people as your enemies.You are the one who lives in a world all your own.Now go back and tell your buddy joan larosa that c.c.c. won't always be there when the time comes to destroy that nasty place you call home.And by the way Robin,you have a good day.
prostiebarbie

Clarksburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2011

Judged:

first timer wrote:
Prostiebarbie,You need to go back to your own thread and leave the good threads off your list to read because you say I'm so 1960 and yet you talk about gay people as your enemies.You are the one who lives in a world all your own.Now go back and tell your buddy joan larosa that c.c.c. won't always be there when the time comes to destroy that nasty place you call home.And by the way Robin,you have a good day.
I was making a witty paradox to the Italian bashing that goes on here all the time. No the gays are not my enemy....but 8th grade drop out inbreeds with computers are not ones who I seem to get along with very well. I should have known you wouldn't get it, I went way above your head. Sorry I will dummy it down for you next time, you ok? your head hurt?
zig zag

Morgantown, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Judged:

"first timer" do you remember the Parson Hotel thread? Is "being me" your brother? You two are both alike. You think that the Italians run everything and have all the money. Why don't you open your friggin eyes. Their are allot of wealthy people in this town and they are not all Italians. If you put as much time into your own life instead of being jealous of the ones who had the balls to take chances and do well for themselves you might have some more property and a little more money in the bank.
The people fixing up the Parson Hotel are using their money, do you know who's money is going to fix up the Waldo if it gets done?
Goddess

Jane Lew, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2011

Judged:

If anyone is interested, some of the members of the community are gonna create a committee to raise funds to save the Waldo. We would love to have as much help and support as possible. We have a FaceBook page if you would like to check it out. Here's the address.... http://www.facebook.com/... #!/groups/73027483544?ap=1
A By stander

Clarksburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2011

Judged:

Like other cities who have takin historical buildings and renovated them ,I don't feel Clarksburg is in that catagory .If it had 10 million sank into it who would want to actually spend the night in a deserted run down ghost town. You can't even buy a cup of coffee after 6:00 pm .Just who in their right mind would want to stay in the renivated Waldo. The City Mission is just a stones throw away .There is no parking . Who wants to visit a town where you have to constanly run outside to feed out dated parking meters for fear of getting a parking ticket.DDUUHHH!
The Waldo itself was in its day a grand ,beautiful hotel .Clarksburg is now a mere ghost town filled to the brim with abandoned store fronts now staging as "Law Offices " on every corner .How many law offices does one town need . God knows they don't need anymore parking lots or vacant lots or boarded up store fronts . Basiclly all I want to see of Clarksburg down town is to see it in my rear veiw mirror as I drive away .Its a crying shame the Waldo was left in the ruins . Would be a great idea to move it somewhere else out of that whole area .
prostiebarbie

Clarksburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2011

Judged:

A By stander wrote:
Would be a great idea to move it somewhere else out of that whole area .
yeah, that's a good idea. you are mentally challenged aren't you?
ZIG ZAG

Clarksburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2011

Judged:

Everything he said made since. The part about moving it out of town I'm sure that was a joke.
Martin Shaffer

Clarksburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2011

Judged:

A By Stander, You have some good points. It is going to be a hard sell to get people to say at our hotel since parking is not readily available. However some members of Council believe that they might not mind parking behind the Library or at the Parking garage on 2ed Street. Council has made a commitment verbally to see that the hotel gets their parking. Maybe they will take the parking lot next to Federal Center and build a parking garage next to the hotel. The space is big enough about 300' x 60' the bare minimum needed for a parking garage. The Bridgeport Conference Center has lost over $400,000 in catering events just this year because they are not big enough to hold more then 300 people. Market Studies show historic hotels actually attract people and conferences because they like to see historic, restored hotels. I have stayed in at least a dozen. Clarksburg needs to build on our Civil War History and the birthplace of Stonewall Jackson. This is also an attraction. We also need to post signs on US 50 and I-79 promoting our historic districts. There are travelers who actually get off the highways just to see historic downtowns. The more traffic you get downtown the more meals the restaurants sell. We also need to get housing units downtown that will help attract stores. Stores usually want to see foot traffic before they locate into a community. It is not hopeless we just have to get teamwork from our City Council. I know the property owners are willing to work on this it is in their best interest.
Sooner

Clarksburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2011

Judged:

I agree with The By Stander. Clarksburg done it's self in through out the years with those old dinosaur parking meters .Everyone who I personally know,tell me they "ONLY " go into Clarksburg when it is absolutly nessasary because of those old out dated meters . Why...???? would anyone want to put there self in a situation and have to deal with that when you can go to East Point or almost anywhere and relax and take care of your affairs and shop without those old meters . Its to late now to do anything .All the stores and bussiness's have pack up and long moved out of there .If downtown was out west,I could easily see a puff of dust and a stray tumble weed blow down the main street.LOL I moved into this area from New York City years ago. Upon arriving into downtown at around 6:30 one evening I began to feel like I was watching some kind of Sci Fi thriller where everyone in the whole town had been abducted,and I was the only one left . It was really scarry .I parked somewhere close to the old Waldo,vacant then. I walked across the big bridge and found a hole in the wall bar somewhere around where The City Mission is now in Glen Elk. My God I had found signs of 3 humanes .I had a few drinks and asked where was everyone.They told me most everyone goes up to East Point. Didn't take long to find the strip.Never to return to downtown Clarksburg again unless it was a matter at the court house. That 1st time exsperience left a bad taste in my mouth. You have now enterd "THE DEAD ZONE "
zig zag

Clarksburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2011

Judged:

Think about this, if you were new to the area and you went through town and saw the Waldo (in the middle of our town), how long would you want to be around here?
How many years has it been an eye sore and how many more years are we going to have to look at it. I hate to say this but a parking lot would look allot better.
Another question, what is Vandalia Heritage Foundation responsibility with the Waldo?
As time goes on the price of doing anything with it keeps going up.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of353
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Clarksburg Forum right now

Search the Clarksburg Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 1 hr George 44,225
corey baldwin 1 hr clarksburg 4
WV Doh Awards Contract To Remove Rock Slide In ... 2 hr Bruce 11
3 Teens murder Australian man (Aug '13) 3 hr Another Damn Liberal 53
WV 2 dead in explosion at W.Va. chemical plant (Dec '10) 4 hr Jimmy Love 3,912
Dr Allan Saoud 9 hr The Punisher 1
Grandparents Rights 13 hr Judged 31
•••
•••
•••
Clarksburg Dating

more search filters

less search filters